Alrighty... where is the Destiny going, anyway?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
In the extended version of the pilot, Rush says that there was a rumor floating around the galaxy for some time, that the Lucian Alliance knew of, that Destiny may hold the keys to the universe itself.

IIRC, the LA thought it would give them "Godlike" powers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In the extended version of the pilot, Rush says that there was a rumor floating around the galaxy for some time, that the Lucian Alliance knew of, that Destiny may hold the keys to the universe itself.

LAME. What would they do with these alleged "keys" if they got them? Im not interested in a show which tries to tackle something like that. I do not need those things answered in a TV show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
IIRC, the LA thought it would give them "Godlike" powers.

I dont get the draw of that...so, they get "godlike powers", then they do....what? Dont the Ancients already have those powers?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I dont get the draw of that...so, they get "godlike powers", then they do....what?

Yet another example of bad writing on SGU -- they never gave a good enough reason for the LA desire for Destiny. The closest they came was in having Ginn mumble some nonsense about power but that's it, they didn't explore it anymore than that. Even bad guys need more than a vague, undefined motive in order to be interesting.

God, the more I think about how flawed this show is the less I can believe it made it for two whole seasons. :facepalm:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
They messed up with Destiny's mission. It could have been a cool Lost-esque mystery running throughout the first couple of seasons, with small hints and clues dropped throughout different episodes. It wouldn't have taken focus away from the immediate storytelling but it would have kept momentum on the show building and allowed it to have a grander arc.

Instead we've only ever got some vague information which even I don't really understand. Personally I think it was just an attempt to keep Earth interested in the ship; without the mission there is literally no need to get back in contact. (This is of course ignoring a rescue operation but it wouldn't make it urgent enough to betray other planets etc).

So yeh the pretty much dropped the ball on this one. [For reference I've always thought Lost was great at making a character focussed show mesh with a larger plot. Ultimately SGU is like a space version of Lost but they messed up the balance].
This.
The mystery building style of Lost is not my cup of tea at all, but I think at least that would have been consistent. Season 1 kept giving hints of wanting to go there IMO, but they never stuck to it. Instead, the show tried to do a little bit of everything style and genre-wise and ended going nowhere until the current half-season.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
This.
The mystery building style of Lost is not my cup of tea at all, but I think at least that would have been consistent. Season 1 kept giving hints of wanting to go there IMO, but they never stuck to it. Instead, the show tried to do a little bit of everything style and genre-wise and ended going nowhere until the current half-season.
Definitely. The Destiny's "mission" seems like a mish-mosh of 3-4 writers' ideas, where no single theme emerged as the strong contender. There's line 1, which seems to be about getting to a specific location. There's line 2, in which "legends" say something about Destiny holding the keys to godlike power. There's line 3, which is some nebulous BS about a "god signal" in the cosmic background radiation. None of these, not one, were developed beyond a single line of dialogue.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
The destiny is going to that great toilet bowl in the sky and is going to be flushed...going down the drain for all eternity! :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Agreed

Definitely. The Destiny's "mission" seems like a mish-mosh of 3-4 writers' ideas, where no single theme emerged as the strong contender. There's line 1, which seems to be about getting to a specific location. There's line 2, in which "legends" say something about Destiny holding the keys to godlike power. There's line 3, which is some nebulous BS about a "god signal" in the cosmic background radiation. None of these, not one, were developed beyond a single line of dialogue.

What gets me is that everything you've mentioned is something that should have been tossed around in the writer's brain-storming sessions pre-production. For writers of their alleged caliber there's no way they should have been making this stuff up as they went along during production -- and that's just what they did.

There's arrogance and hubris at work here, well documented in the forums for TPTB. The egregiously peripatetic writing for SGU is just one example of it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The destiny is going to that great toilet bowl in the sky and is going to be flushed...going down the drain for all eternity! :P

Is that a constellation? :icon_lol:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
That's the way I see it too.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I'm sure the restaurant at the end of the universe has a flushing toilet somewhere.

G

Graybrew1

i know :P
ive just seen so many squees mention the furlings and sgu and i just gringe every time :p

N/P . If you had read my review, you would know I am not a squee for sure. LOL :biggrin: But I made you mad and you would not read it. :(

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
N/P . If you had read my review, you would know I am not a squee for sure. LOL :biggrin: But I made you mad and you would not read it. :(
oh i have read it darling ;) and no you def didnt make me mad ;) trust me. i just said my oppinion on sgu is set in stone and it differs slightly from yours but a few months back i had a similar view of it ;)