Alrighty... where is the Destiny going, anyway?

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
As we approach the last episode, and still have yet to learn more about this mysterious "God signal" in the cosmic background radiation of the universe, it's still bugging me:

Where is the Destiny headed? What is its mission, anyway?

From what I understand of the Big Bang theory, it's not an explosion IN space but an explosion OF space. I can get that from any number of Wiki / info pages. So the Big Bang didn't explode outward from any "central point" but rather space itself exploded and is now expanding uniformly everywhere in the universe.

So the background cosmic radiation signal is in fact everywhere in the universe at the same time. Right? Or am I reading this theory incorrectly in some way?

If it is indeed everywhere, then you wouldn't need to "go" to any kind of origin point for the Big Bang because there wasn't any central origin.

Where, then, is the Destiny headed, and why? It's not like any one galaxy can take better readings on the background cosmic radiation signal, and there's no actual "center of the Universe" because, well... there just isn't.

For the big overarching plot, you'd think they would've given us more by now... something, a little nibble or hint, right? Or was it sloppy writing throughout, and a misunderstanding of the Big Bang and/or cosmic background radiation - since they apparently have no science consultants?

What's the point of the Destiny's journey?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Here are the answers you seek.

It's mission was to keep reaping revenues and bring in a new viewership.

The ship is now headed for the shelf, where it shall most likely remain canned for all eternity.

Why?

Because the show sucked, the people in charge were arrogant and the fans were mocked, scorned and insulted for not being "intelligent" enough to understand their mid-life crisis project.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Here are the answers you seek.

It's mission was to keep reaping revenues and bring in a new viewership.

The ship is now headed for the shelf, where it shall most likely remain canned for all eternity.

Why?

Because the show sucked, the people in charge were arrogant and the fans were mocked, scorned and insulted for not being "intelligent" enough to understand their mid-life crisis project.
LOL... yeah, there is all of that.

Honestly, at this point I'm thinking that they read some flawed Wiki page about cosmic radiation and then just punted.

sad0122.gif

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
The Destiny's like that drunk late at night that's stumbling around trying to find something to piss on. We were the victims.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
As we approach the last episode, and still have yet to learn more about this mysterious "God signal" in the cosmic background radiation of the universe, it's still bugging me:

Where is the Destiny headed? What is its mission, anyway?

From what I understand of the Big Bang theory, it's not an explosion IN space but an explosion OF space. I can get that from any number of Wiki / info pages. So the Big Bang didn't explode outward from any "central point" but rather space itself exploded and is now expanding uniformly everywhere in the universe.

So the background cosmic radiation signal is in fact everywhere in the universe at the same time. Right? Or am I reading this theory incorrectly in some way?

If it is indeed everywhere, then you wouldn't need to "go" to any kind of origin point for the Big Bang because there wasn't any central origin.

Where, then, is the Destiny headed, and why? It's not like any one galaxy can take better readings on the background cosmic radiation signal, and there's no actual "center of the Universe" because, well... there just isn't.

For the big overarching plot, you'd think they would've given us more by now... something, a little nibble or hint, right? Or was it sloppy writing throughout, and a misunderstanding of the Big Bang and/or cosmic background radiation - since they apparently have no science consultants?

What's the point of the Destiny's journey?
Terran, you are absolutely correct on your information. While the Universe isn't 100% homogeneous, it has neither a 'center' nor any point which is closer to its origin than any other point. It's analogous to driving around on top of a smooth globe looking for its center. There isn't any! So, like you said, the Destiny has nowhere to go in particular.

Maybe the writers realized this after they came up with the desperate solution in order to give the ship a mission during season 2 and kind of moved away from it after many people pointed this out, while they looked for a way out of the mess.

As for the science advisor, there has been some confusion as to whether the show had one or not. What I remember though is BW saying he was the "science guy" on the show. I could be wrong, but I don't remember him having a college degree in one of the natural sciences or even engineering, just that he's a former actor and a writer - I guess that qualifies him... :P

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Terran, you are absolutely correct on your information. While the Universe isn't 100% homogeneous, it has neither a 'center' nor any point which is closer to its origin than any other point. It's analogous to driving around on top of a smooth globe looking for its center. There isn't any! So, like you said, the Destiny has nowhere to go in particular.

Maybe the writers realized this after they came up with the desperate solution in order to give the ship a mission during season 2 and kind of moved away from it after many people pointed this out, while they looked for a way out of the mess.

As for the science advisor, there has been some confusion as to whether the show had one or not. What I remember though is BW saying he was the "science guy" on the show. I could be wrong, but I don't remember him having a college degree in one of the natural sciences or even engineering, just that he's a former actor and a writer - I guess that qualifies him... :P
Thanks, I thought I was reading it correctly. *sigh* I just wish they'd give us something more about it.

Red Mage

Boney
I don't think there was any conceived notion of Destiny's mission when TPTB created SGU. It's was only after negative criticism of Season 1 that the ship seemingly had no mission that the writers had to think of a reason for Destiny to be out in the middle of nowhere. The writers had a derelict ship in the middle of nowhere and filled with malcontents going nowhere and the show was dropping fast in the ratings. Therefore, the TPTB threw together that plot element of the god signal in The Greater Good. If it feels like Destiny's mission doesn't really make sense or appear to be of any real consequence, it's because the writers didn't have a clue of what they were doing initially and had to slap something together in desparate attempt to save their project.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
I'm gonna have to agree with Red Mage on that one, although they could've just said the ship was out there because the Ancients wanted to explore the universe or something. The best guess I have for why the ship is moving around in the show is to get as much data on the pattern by picking up tiny variations caused by shifts in position, the density of matter in a given area, etc...

G

Graybrew1

Stop question, but related. Were the Ancients themselves known to be perfect? Did they not make mistakes? They did make the replicators right? Maybe Destiny was just one big (this is not a SGU bash) Mistake. Intended for one thing and it did not work out so left out there to rust? :rolleyes:

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Stop question, but related. Were the Ancients themselves known to be perfect? Did they not make mistakes? They did make the replicators right? Maybe Destiny was just one big (this is not a SGU bash) Mistake. Intended for one thing and it did not work out so left out there to rust? :rolleyes:
Yeah, they were responsible for both the replicators and (indirectly) the Wraith. Destiny could've been a mistake, in the sense that someone left it running and forgot to turn it off. But they made a big deal about it supposedly having a "mission" so I dunno... it's certainly Brad Wright's mistake for not coming up with something concrete. I'd be curious to see the SGU show bible, though I imagine they won't release it.

G

Graybrew1

Yeah, they were responsible for both the replicators and (indirectly) the Wraith. Destiny could've been a mistake, in the sense that someone left it running and forgot to turn it off. But they made a big deal about it supposedly having a "mission" so I dunno... it's certainly Brad Wright's mistake for not coming up with something concrete. I'd be curious to see the SGU show bible, though I imagine they won't release it.

Money rules everything. So, eventually if they can make a buck or two off it, they probably will. :icon_e_wink:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I'm gonna have to agree with Red Mage on that one, although they could've just said the ship was out there because the Ancients wanted to explore the universe or something. The best guess I have for why the ship is moving around in the show is to get as much data on the pattern by picking up tiny variations caused by shifts in position, the density of matter in a given area, etc...

There wouldn't be tiny variations by shifts in position, CBM is uniformly distributed throughout the universe, it's the same wherever they go. It wouldn't change, would have the same blackbody radiation and same redshift. This was just a badly thought out attempt at science on their part and poor attempt at sci-fi. Besides, SGU was being pushed forward as 'character-driven' so their lame sci-fi stuff is just there so that the fans could try to say they're not watching a soap.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This

There wouldn't be tiny variations by shifts in position, CBM is uniformly distributed throughout the universe, it's the same wherever they go. It wouldn't change, would have the same blackbody radiation and same redshift. This was just a badly thought out attempt at science on their part and poor attempt at sci-fi. Besides, SGU was being pushed forward as 'character-driven' so their lame sci-fi stuff is just there so that the fans could try to say they're not watching a soap.

You can almost hear the ineptitude in the writers office as they come up with this gem of a premise. The "mission" wasn't even mentioned in the first season. It definitely was not a well thought out idea that's for sure.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
They messed up with Destiny's mission. It could have been a cool Lost-esque mystery running throughout the first couple of seasons, with small hints and clues dropped throughout different episodes. It wouldn't have taken focus away from the immediate storytelling but it would have kept momentum on the show building and allowed it to have a grander arc.

Instead we've only ever got some vague information which even I don't really understand. Personally I think it was just an attempt to keep Earth interested in the ship; without the mission there is literally no need to get back in contact. (This is of course ignoring a rescue operation but it wouldn't make it urgent enough to betray other planets etc).

So yeh the pretty much dropped the ball on this one. [For reference I've always thought Lost was great at making a character focussed show mesh with a larger plot. Ultimately SGU is like a space version of Lost but they messed up the balance].

G

Graybrew1

They messed up with Destiny's mission. It could have been a cool Lost-esque mystery running throughout the first couple of seasons, with small hints and clues dropped throughout different episodes. It wouldn't have taken focus away from the immediate storytelling but it would have kept momentum on the show building and allowed it to have a grander arc.

Instead we've only ever got some vague information which even I don't really understand. Personally I think it was just an attempt to keep Earth interested in the ship; without the mission there is literally no need to get back in contact. (This is of course ignoring a rescue operation but it wouldn't make it urgent enough to betray other planets etc).

So yeh the pretty much dropped the ball on this one. [For reference I've always thought Lost was great at making a character focussed show mesh with a larger plot. Ultimately SGU is like a space version of Lost but they messed up the balance].

I could definitely see the writers wanting to try to go in that direction.It was a Huge success for Lost. The worst problem in the beginning for me, was it just took them too darn long to get to it. In this day and age of the all costs involved when a show fails like this, I really wish they had the ability to just make some writer changes and moved on with a new crop to try it agian. I know they can't but It could have been really interesting if the concept had been followed through correctly. Maybe someday in some other SG we will get to find out what the signal is all about.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
In the extended version of the pilot, Rush says that there was a rumor floating around the galaxy for some time, that the Lucian Alliance knew of, that Destiny may hold the keys to the universe itself.