The Orville

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Episode two.

Let's go explore some completely unknown and reportedly deadly region of space. While we're at it, let's put the captain, the first officer, the chief of security, the chief engineer, the chief medical officer, and the visiting Admiral on a shuttle and hop on over to that weird unknown space station like thing. Seriously, WTF.

There you have it! The admiral is infected. Looks like he may be turning into some kind of spider.

The ship is clearly under attack from within by an invasive alien species, and all power is offline, but I'm yet to see anyone carry a weapon or mention arming themselves. Not to mention protective clothing to prevent further infections.

Well, there were a lot of odd things going on there, but still, it was an interesting episode.
ABSOLUTELY thought the same!! and HOW derivative was that ship of say... a Wraith cruiser in looks and its design?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Episode three.

The crew explores some alien planet. Bortus registers several hundred humanoids on the scanner. The chief of security asks the captain if the landing party should ready their weapons. This seems somewhat prudent given the situation, but in the previous episode things were overtly hostile and nobody thought of weapons until near the end of the episode.

This episode is immediately very reminiscent of the TNG episode "The Royale".

Why the hell are they splitting up like that. Three on a raft in some weird unknown location and two remain on the shore far away.

Oh my god I hate Charly.

But then again, I guess it wasn't really her.

Oooooh! A sexy tron alien!

I love the final reveal! What a great episode.
a good story, good follow up on the first story from S1 which though to me, was HIGHLY derivative of ST-Voy BLINK OF AN EYE per concept of time

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
my God this is so "woke" in a manner that is well camouflaged in alien make up

EP 4 with the Krill woman screeching about a fear they have which is so reminiscent of IRL "White replacement theory" --They are negotiating away our freedoms and way of life!--

and then the Alien "Annie" PLEASE! more diversity and inclusion,, which is FINE, but lets not pretend the ORVILLE is immune from external, real life pressures

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I get a distinct feeling that woke is not being correctly used here. A show is woke when it elevates one gender/ethnicity at the expense of another. Neither episode did this. The men were still effective characters and the Krill movement arose not just from the feeling their government was selling out their culture but also its corruption (remember they tried to rig the election too).

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
ABSOLUTELY thought the same!! and HOW derivative was that ship of say... a Wraith cruiser in looks and its design?
Speaking of derivative, how about them Cylons, I mean Kaylons.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Kaylons did not create human robots with glowing red spines.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The Cylons were created by man to serve them, became sentient, rebelled, then attacked their creators. What did the Kaylons do?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was partly a joke. Of course the Kaylons borrow from the Cylons while also adding their own original parts as well (like wanting to readicate all biological life in the universe and also Kaylon Prime's change of heart late in S3). Cylons themselves borrow from earlier Science Fiction (Daleks, Cybermen , etc.).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i think that ORVILLE does DERIVATION RIGHT

and its stuff only real sci fi fans will pick up on anyhow

that said, in the middle of watching last season now, the show is a bit more "simpler" than other stuff i have watched lately.