The Orville

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am thinking the same, once it gets closer to broadcast time I will do an Orville rewatch to get back into the groove. I suspect Hulu will start a promotion around then also based on watching all the prior episodes.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Identity and Identity part 2 are my favourite episodes from season 2 and that looked great.
I have to rewatch all of The Orville again before I see season 3. Guess I'll have plenty of time to do so still.
I admit the visuals look very good, very "pretty"

i do like the show very much too. although i despise that it is on HULU-- maybe i can watch it through my apple tv sub? i 've noticed they offer, for a fee, the ability to watch amz prime and other originals there.. hmm

do TPTB's really expect viewers to just accept the sheer numbers of lives lost in one ship going up in a fireball though? would humanity ever REALLY commit to such a prospect?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It's now almost three years since the last episode of season 2 of The Orville aired, and we still have to wait for two and a half months before season 3 airs. Sigh... Such a long wait! I hope it's worth it.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan

Looks like this might be the end. I can't believe star trek disturd and picard gets so many seasons

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Orville already spoke to and debunked the Deadline article.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Nice! I hope it will indeed prove to be, as the trailer says, "definitely worth the wait". Been waiting for a long time.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The Orville is back! Now I just have to rewatch the first two seasons before I start on the new one, because it's been sooo long.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I watched Episode 1 last night - it rocked! Details to follow.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, Orville thoughts.

They accounted very well for the time gap with the Orville being at base undergoing a major refit / repair. The SFX are spectacular now and the new look of the ship and even some tiny changes to the uniforms make it look that little bit more military.

The choice to lead off with a kinda dark tone episode was risky but worked. Basically this crew was put through a lot in Season 2 and those psychological chickens came home to roost to an extent. You can see it in their demeanor now as for example Ed is more crisp and Captain like and Kelly also is more officer like. I expect the humor to reassert itself in future episodes.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I would call Orville New Horizons Episode 2 very good and also pretty weird. It had an almost horror movie vibe but nonetheless it was The Orville.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm rewatching it now. It's amazing how good this show is. It has held up really well. Watching this now, it seems like some parts of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds have somewhat been modelled after this. Both shows have a male captain and female first and security officers for example.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Man I'm having some good laughs with this show. That and the stories are also genuinely intriguing and entertaining.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I saw the first episode of the new season last night. While watching, and even now, I have mixed feelings about it.

This new character, Charly, I found her really irritating. I'm sure they'll redeem her somehow in future episodes and will manage to make my feelings change, but right now, I kinda hate her.

When Isaac died, they really made it seem as if he would be gone for good. I kept hoping that he would be back somehow. Then finally they suddenly did. Good thing, because while I was watching this episode I couldn't believe it and hated it, and I was picturing myself starting to dislike future episodes of the show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I liked both episodes so far. Charly was a bit irritating but Mercer pulled her into line the correct way - enforcing military discipline.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Episode two.

Let's go explore some completely unknown and reportedly deadly region of space. While we're at it, let's put the captain, the first officer, the chief of security, the chief engineer, the chief medical officer, and the visiting Admiral on a shuttle and hop on over to that weird unknown space station like thing. Seriously, WTF.

There you have it! The admiral is infected. Looks like he may be turning into some kind of spider.

The ship is clearly under attack from within by an invasive alien species, and all power is offline, but I'm yet to see anyone carry a weapon or mention arming themselves. Not to mention protective clothing to prevent further infections.

Well, there were a lot of odd things going on there, but still, it was an interesting episode.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Episode three.

The crew explores some alien planet. Bortus registers several hundred humanoids on the scanner. The chief of security asks the captain if the landing party should ready their weapons. This seems somewhat prudent given the situation, but in the previous episode things were overtly hostile and nobody thought of weapons until near the end of the episode.

This episode is immediately very reminiscent of the TNG episode "The Royale".

Why the hell are they splitting up like that. Three on a raft in some weird unknown location and two remain on the shore far away.

Oh my god I hate Charly.

But then again, I guess it wasn't really her.

Oooooh! A sexy tron alien!

I love the final reveal! What a great episode.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
See I don't hate Charly. She has rough edges but you can see the potential there once she settles down. This last episode was cool with the multiple mind fakes and the tie into Season 1. I had a reaction like yours to Telaya in Season 2 but over time she became a natural part of the crew.