Not ALL Millennials....but a lot of them!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think you're confused between the Cosby Show abd the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. ;)

Okay, you are right...the Cosby show was more like the way I grew up. But the Fresh Prince of Bel Air was also close, without the added-in comedic minstrel schtick of the hoodrat living in Bel Air along with alleged relatives from the lowest class. The point I was trying to make to YJ02 is that there are no hard and fast rules of "culture" associated with American "race" groups in the US or even the UK as far as I can see. You have everyone in every class and "culture".

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
"African American culture" is?

what i am saying is that it is not like what many ppl expect it to be. especially those white apologists in hollywood who have a very clear perspective in which they picture the African america family siting at the table with a bowl of grits and collard greens

just like they get it wrong when they think everyone in 'flyover land' is sitting back in a tank top and jeans, fat, on a busted recliner, sipping beer and watching wrastling

you know what i mean, so please dont try and twist this..... the 'elites' (i mean you introduced this about the white 'i a m angry for them' stuff) in their attempt to make everyone happy and appeased WILL ALWAYS GET IT wrong, their attempts will always come across as nothing more then cheap pandering rather then genuine concern for equality

the 'hard and fast rules' that many ppl believe and all of the elites swear by, are constructs of their perception. not enough normal americans of all types and colors speak up enough, or are just ignored- to correct this

they laughed and loved the Jeffersons and on the obverse ALL IN THE FAMILY and other shows that played on these perceptions and applied them as "well i guess all white/black ppl are like that". so the elites just kept pumping out tv and films of the same type. the American ppl loved it so why change?

related- this attachment by the coastal elites to these misconceptions of color, ethnicity and class, and geography is one big reason why we have the President we now do.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I do understand what you are trying to say though. :) But I think you should re-evaluate your preconceptions if you think that all black families are part of some separate form of Americana. Some are, some aren't. Just like all white, Asian and Latino (and mixed) families are not the same. Just sayin..

fucking stop!!!

from day one of me being here you have been trying to paint me in the corner of 'white guy, racist, gop supporter' all based on YOUR PRECONCEPTIONS

cant you see this?

i have told you where i grew up at and spent most of my youth- north jersey. i grew up with and spent my free time with ppl from all over--cause in that town if you were not either italian or jewish you were shit, no matter your skin color.

my friends were from many diff backgrounds, ethicities and nations. we had a lot of rocks and bottles thrown at us
if we dared to ride our bikes threw the 'wrong neighborhoods (the italian and jewish ones)'

i was called everything from 'N-R LOVER to 'SPIC and span', 'filthy irish (which i am not irish)' and all other types of vile bs because me and and a few other white kids dared to coexist and play with kids that were not white

when our friend from ecuador got his bike stolen and beat up, we called the police and they ddn't come

do not ever try to place me in the 'racist box' again

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
what i am saying is that it is not like what many ppl expect it to be. especially those white apologists in hollywood who have a very clear perspective in which they picture the African america family siting at the table with a bowl of grits and collard greens

just like they get it wrong when they think everyone in 'flyover land' is sitting back in a tank top and jeans, fat, on a busted recliner, sipping beer and watching wrastling

I agree with that, but that was not where you were going with it when you said that African Americans should be offended because of how the families were portrayed in Stranger Things. I wasn't commenting on the pervasive social issue related to that. :)

you know what i mean, so please dont try and twist this..... the 'elites' (i mean you introduced this about the white 'i a m angry for them' stuff) in their attempt to make everyone happy and appeased WILL ALWAYS GET IT wrong, their attempts will always come across as nothing more then cheap pandering rather then genuine concern for equality

the 'hard and fast rules' that many ppl believe and all of the elites swear by, are constructs of their perception. not enough normal americans of all types and colors speak up enough, or are just ignored- to correct this

I agree with this too...

they laughed and loved the Jeffersons and on the obverse ALL IN THE FAMILY and other shows that played on these perceptions and applied them as "well i guess all white/black ppl are like that". so the elites just kept pumping out tv and films of the same type. the American ppl loved it so why change?

related- this attachment by the coastal elites to these misconceptions of color, ethnicity and class, and geography is one big reason why we have the President we now do.

Completely agree, especially the red bolded part. The good thing about that is that because of their far left liberal folly, they have ASSUMED that all or mostly all people of color are on their side. They are wrong. There is a significant African American and Latino American conservative segment hidden within the largest voting bloc: The Independents.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
fucking stop!!!

from day one of me being here you have been trying to paint me in the corner of 'white guy, racist, gop supporter' all based on YOUR PRECONCEPTIONS

cant you see this?

i have told you where i grew up at and spent most of my youth- north jersey. i grew up with and spent my free time with ppl from all over--cause in that town if you were not either italian or jewish you were shit, no matter your skin color.

Wait, what? You certainly slathered a bunch of extra stuff into my comment which was just not there. I do not at all believe you are a racist. And I am the one who is the GOP supporter, aren't I? Last I looked, you said you were a Libertarian. :confused0006:

my friends were from many diff backgrounds, ethicities and nations. we had a lot of rocks and bottles thrown at us
if we dared to ride our bikes threw the 'wrong neighborhoods (the italian and jewish ones)'

i was called everything from 'N-R LOVER to 'SPIC and span', 'filthy irish (which i am not irish)' and all other types of vile bs because me and and a few other white kids dared to coexist and play with kids that were not white

when our friend from ecuador got his bike stolen and beat up, we called the police and they ddn't come

do not ever try to place me in the 'racist box' again

I DIDN'T. Triggered much? Where did you get the idea I was trying to paint you into anything or imply you were a racist? Your comment about Stranger Things implied (to me) that you felt that the portrayal of the black family was incongruous with real life and asked why African Americans aren't offended by it. I countered by pointing out that many African American families are EXACTLY like that in real life. Don't try and put words into my mouth. :rolleyes:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You certainly slathered a bunch of extra stuff into my comment which was just not there.

i was looking at the cumulative over the
years. if that is not what you feel, even in your subconscious :) then screw what i just said

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Your comment about Stranger Things implied (to me) that you felt that the portrayal of the black family was incongruous with real life and asked why African Americans aren't offended by it.

put it this way, if the tables were flipped and the show was on inner city baltimore kids on some inner city adventures, and all were afr american, and then there was some white kid cast in the middle who acted just like them, would you believe the character?

yes, stranger things did not do the trope 'lets get a kid of color in there', but i dont think that anyone would have casted him, then, shown his bedroom full of run dmc or george clinton posters or any other afr american singers (except michael jackson or prince since they had a wide spectrum audience)

the simple fact that a black family is living in small town america in the 80's, and they are seemingly the only black family there, says something too

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but screw this, i am not going to argue with you, because for the overall topic of this thread, we are in agreement

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
put it this way, if the tables were flipped and the show was on inner city baltimore kids on some inner city adventures, and all were afr american, and then there was some white kid cast in the middle who acted just like them, would you believe the character?

Yeah, because there usually is a white family like that in urban ghettos which are mostly black or Latino. You get to see a lot of these kids in the NBA and also in the South.

yes, stranger things did not do the trope 'lets get a kid of color in there', but i dont think that anyone would have casted him, then, shown his bedroom full of run dmc or george clinton posters or any other afr american singers (except michael jackson or prince since they had a wide spectrum audience)

I agree that casting with diversity in mind was definitely a factor, but the way it was done was not at all unrealistic. There are very few suburban neighborhoods left in this nation which are all one race group, even in the "whitest" areas.

the simple fact that a black family is living in small town america in the 80's, and they are seemingly the only black family there, says something too

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but screw this, i am not going to argue with you, because for the overall topic of this thread, we are in agreement

Yes, we definitely agree on it. Sorry if you misunderstood my comments!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i know there is another thread around on this stuff, but cant find it, and dont remember the thread title.

so i'll park it here, it relates

------------------
and interesting essay. i don't agree with all of it, namely the approaches she says she wants to see (i am assuming a she by name, but that is probably offensive to do now a days) with female characters and the how of it.

but i do find it interesting that this new trope is seemingly being criticized in any way by someone from the millennial side (her writing seems to sympathize with them) of hollywood

https://io9.gizmodo.com/forget-strong-female-characters-we-need-complicated-fe-1832535932

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOL!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wow. This is interesting...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
There was a certain unnamed person in an unnamed company that worked in a team with another unnamed person....you get the point.

Anyhoo. Each one wanted to progress to the next level of seniority in the team for an upcoming promotion.

1. One joined every single committee they could find on the company's social media platform and lead the all. They baked cakes for this cause, and walked for that cause, they rallied other employees for another cause, sent out email blasts and guilted and/or shamed anyone who did help to promote the company's mountain of chosen causes and raised gobs of money. All good causes but none had anything to do with the actual work product of the company. The did this during work hours as permitted and off work hours, which took about an extra 5 hours a week of their own time, while still performing their normal day to day level of work activities in time for their SLA.

2. The other picked up new work tasks for other team members that were struggling, analysed team process guidelines and founds gaps of knowledge that was damaging productivity and costing the company valuable man hours, and damaging relationships with major stakeholders. They devised new processes to correct these gaps and worked with senior management proactively to gain approval to adjust company policies to correct the problem at source and prevent any future occurrences going forward. They went back to school to learn the newest techniques, concepts and qualifications desired by the company. They came in early, worked through breaks, left late and worked unpaid to cover emergencies remotely. The exceeded all their own SLA, while also covering for the manager when on leave.... They did not however attend one function for any above mentioned requests, even after the first team member made this apparent to the manager and was questioned on this. They put all their effort into doing their action job and ignored repeated requests to join a committee.

Both were considered the superstars of the team by the manager, who also made the decision for who to promote.

Who do you think got the promotion? Who do you think deserved the promotion with all other things being equal?
And of course, who do you think was the millennial?

I am curious to see what everyone thinks.

i think #1 is the millenial and is the one who got the job IF the company is concerned about 'image and diversity (where of course diversity no longer means female and minority hires as 'millennial' is now considering to be a special class by some)'

if the company is more traditional (as in 'normal') then #2 got hired

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
with this show and yt video as an example NOT the subject--

a perfect example of what i was trying to get across referencing the stranger things casting

this show seems to have made casting decisions based on the off screen need to be 'woke' and diverse in all spectrum

we see the asian sister of batman(?) as being asian to fill a offscreen agenda need. its not because (what i gather from the video) because the bat's dad made his own decision to pursue and marry an asian woman, no. that relationship appears to be the backfill to half ass justify why batman has a asian sister

now, that would be totall fine if he had a asian step sister, but that is not how it is portrayed

it would be as if I got married to my korean wife SOLELY FOR MY FUTURE IMAGE I wanted to project to others

as if i were concerned not with her as a a person but with her as an object of minority to be used to increase my image subjectively in the minds of those who i wanted to impress at some point

so this show casts asians and who knows what other broad categories of what is now considered 'minority(as in not just ethnicity or sex, but also things like trans gender and other false constructs of 'diversity and minority')' persons not because the plot and script requires it, no, the minorities --again see my definition of, above, dont lose track here!-- having being cast before hand, to fill a SJW need, drive how the script is written and the plot conceived

its a little like RAMBO movies. those movies were not really about vietnam or afghanistan, they were about the crazily portrayed character of what some hollywood shit thought was a 'veteran'-- crazed, over muscled and out for blood

these movies were made in the same manner--backwards and goal fulfilling