General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 01 - “Intervention”

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
So you're saying Rush looks like this now? I guess Caffeine withdrawal will do that.

View attachment 1139

My question is did TPTB address any of the fan complaints (Us and a million others) about this flaming shitbag of a show? They were going to "change some things" in S2 as I remember. Also this would be one made before Cooper's departure as well.

Was there any reason for the suckers to watch it again next week? I'm sure I'd get more enjoyment of 5 seconds of Siler onscreen in SG than this whole episode.

Anyway the dirty deed is done. :joy:

And there'll be another episode to review in 6 more days. :beckettd:
:rotflmao:

The problem is the ep was written early as IMO Season 2 was already a done deal even before the series pilot aired - in spite of all the theatrics and phony suspense. We paid for that deal ourselves with Season 6 of SGA. So they were riding on the acceptable numbers for the first few episodes of Season 1 and didn't see any reason to change. The mindset was that of JM's "looooooong haul" rant and so we got more of Season 1.
Now why they were too stupid to rewrite or even reedit the episode (and partially reshoot) in order to pick up the pace and eliminate the melodrama and plot holes after the ratings plummeted later on escapes me. Maybe JM's and BW's skulls are so thick they need to get pummeled a few times more before the message "SGU sucks" gets in. Maybe we'll see changes when the LA arc is over, or it could be that the soonest we'll see them will be Season 2.5. But those eps will of course only be available on the "previously unaired" Christmas special DVD set for $0.99.

This is the usual dreck and drivel I have come to expect from SGU. The constant jumping around, the melodramatic musical montage, horrible acting from actors who should know better; are all symptomatic of what is wrong with SGU. TPTB seem to think that darker and grittier refers to lighting and set quality, not the quality of the writing. The stories are predictable and do not hold my attention at all. I did not wonder at the pulsar TJ saw at the end- it did not convey to me that she was “really” on the Faith planet; I still feel she was only unconscious and her mind provided a form of closure for her. I didn’t really care about any character other than Varro. I actually rolled my eyes as Chloe fingered her healed wounds in the music montage scene (while she was in bed with Scott), I did not feel any interest in how she got so miraculously healed. It was funny to see advertisements for Sanctuary that looked better than the SGU episode I was watching. I also saw several ads for the complete first season of SGU on DVD and Blue-ray and I wondered how they could expect anyone who had seen this horrible show would buy the previous season. The Lunesta (sleep aid) ad placement was very amusing….the episode was definitely a yawner.
:puke: :puke: :puke:

Thank you for the excellent review, Rac. Reading it was undoubtedly a much more enjoyable activity than actually watching the ep (I haven't)!

:beckettu:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
AWESOME REVIEW! Love the title...so fitting!

Stargate: Universe
Season: 2.0
Episode: Intervention

The FINAL Season Premier

By Rac80

Synopsis:
The storyline of SGU had the usual A story and B story. The A story was the conflict between the Lucian Alliance (LA) and the people from Earth (I will use the Stargate term Tau’ri for simplicity) for control of the Destiny. The B story was TJ’s dream/hallucination/out of body experience dealing with the loss of her unborn child.
The episode began with a long recap of not just the previous episode but the entire first season.
In storyline A, most of the Tau’ri are put off the ship by Dannic, while Varro is the voice of reason. Those left on the ship are trying to find a way to retake it and survive the next radiation burst from a nearby pulsar. Varro has conflict with Dannic and then is sent to the same planet the Tau’ri are marooned on. Rush saves the day. Storyline B is mostly in TJ’s mind…whether reality or not we do not know, but her body never leaves the ship. She is on the planet from the episode Faith with those that stayed there and her baby daughter (whom she names Carmen). She is told about the life they are building on the planet and how they believe the aliens who made the planet are watching over them. She is told her baby will stay there but she must return to the ship.
The episode has the Tau’ri finally retake the ship after Ginn kills Dannic. They bring the people back from the planet, and imprison the LA that sided with Varro along with the rest of the LA on the ship. TJ awakes and discovers she never left the ship, but sees the same nebula/pulsar in the sky she saw on the planet.

Critique:
The story:
The episode jumped around constantly and I often had to pause and rewind my copy to get a clear idea of what was happening. There were several instances when I couldn’t see how events had happened…how they reached the caves on the planet so quickly, what happened to the other civilians/doctors, how they returned to the ship. It seemed very incoherent at times as usual. Chloe’s miraculous healing was obviously part of the plotline, but was TJ’s? Shortly after abdominal surgery and losing a baby at what 6 or 7 months of pregnancy, she sits up and walks around. I have had abdominal surgery and miscarried at child at 5 months and let me tell you, there is no way you can sit up on your own, much less walk without help for at least a week afterwards from either incident, and if it is both at the same time, I am sure recovery time would be extended. I found Telford’s level of incapacity more believable.
I felt that Ginn repeatedly shooting Dannic spoke of overkill and wondered mildly about their history. She had seemed so passive, so for her to suddenly take a dominating role in the death of their leader seemed out of character. I did find it interesting that Varro seemed to be the only one who understands HOW the stones should really be used: to bring doctors on board to try to save the injured. He really has more sense than the entire USAF at this point! There was an obvious attempt to paint the character of Varro as SGU’s Chakotay, the reasonable rebel who has compassion for his enemy. He was willing to rebel against his own leadership when he felt they were wrong.

Technical aspects:

The lighting (naturally) was horrible whether they were on the ship or either planet. You couldn’t always see what room the scene was supposedly in or who else was in the room. I have often wondered if the bad lighting is a way to disguise the reuse of the sets from SG1 and SGA. There are a couple of hallways that I swear were on a Ha’tak. Scott and Greer on the outside of the ship was the only acceptable lighting there was…you could actually see what was happening. I was surprised to see the cabin TJ was in also suffered from poor lighting, hadn’t the aliens heard of windows? And naturally the Tau’ri arrived on the rocky planet in the dark (almost).

The costuming is a joke as always with SGU. The LA costumes look like something leftover from a Goth party. They are also self-mending; Varro’s jacket and shirt were ripped in one scene (which I did not mind one bit) then were perfect when he showed up on the planet. The clothing of everyone looked rather neat and clean, a few wrinkles here and there, but how do the Tau’ri soldiers keep their uniforms so spiffy? Even the LA women seemed to have brought make up and combs along with them.

Sets were problematic as well, they obviously found a quarry near Bridge studies and used that as the planet the Tau’ri were sent to. The supposed Faith planet was a typical Vancouver forest that TPTB had promised us would not be seen in SGU, but I am sure finances played a role in that. The Destiny is obviously cobbled together from bits and pieces of ship sets used in SG1 and SGA, which makes me wonder what exactly the extra budget was spent on.

Shaky cam was there as always, these people don’t understand the phrase “too much of a good thing” do they? Yes, there were a few scenes where it worked, but not in every scene. This added to the incoherence for me. I couldn’t tell what they were trying to emphasize in the scenes.

The performances were all over the place. The new characters were more enjoyable and likable than the old ones. Here are some specifics.

The Tau’ri:

I noticed at the beginning of the episode that David Blue (Eli) has lost some weight and gotten haircut, the only problem with that is his scenes from the previous episode are supposed to flow seamlessly into the new scenes. A wig and padding would have helped for continuity. David also badly over acted in this episode, to portray peril I suppose, but it fell very flat.

Robert Carlyle has also gotten scruffier in the course of what is supposedly one day…his beard was thicker and his hair longer. Unless he had some Miracle-Gro around, the makeup department should have taken care of that. He also doesn‘t seem to be interested in playing the role, it feels like he is just reading his lines.

Alaina Huffman did the best with the material and direction she got. I felt her character was very under played, but I do not know if that was the actress’s choice or the directors. Her losing the baby should have resulted in a highly emotional response (been there done that) not the cold calm shown on screen.
Lou Diamond Phillips (Telford) was finally given something to do and delivered as he always does.
Louis Ferreira, Brian J. Smith, Ming-Na, and Elyse Levesque all performed far below the level needed for a daytime soap opera much less a prime time drama. LF, BJS, and EL were all very wooden. BJS was moving in several scenes as if he were constipated, maybe a colonic would help. Ming-Na seemed to be overacting. I was very surprised as she is an excellent actress.

The Lucian Alliance:
Ian Butcher did an excellent job as Dannic portraying a rather over-the-top villain. He is familiar to the audiences of SG1 from his appearance in Beachhead as the Ori Prior. I did not see any over acting on his part, his character was believably nuts.
Julie McNiven played the LA geek Ginn. While she is lovely to see, I had the feeling she was based on Kaylee of Firefly. A young girl who knows more about the technology than anyone else? She is a sympathetic character and did an excellent job. I just do not see her as being a member of the LA.
Mike Dopud was a delight to watch as always. He excellently portrayed a level of compassion not expected to be seen among the LA. His character was believable and interesting to watch. I feel his performance added greatly to the episode. He portrayed Varro’s interest in TJ very realistically, he did not fall to his knees and proclaim everlasting love, he simply expressed a desire she survive. Mike Dopud is the only reason I would watch another episode of this show.
Overall, I see the meshing of these two crews, Voyager-style, with the LA being the nicer and more sympathetic characters. Varro will obviously provide the voice of reason for Young as Chakotay did for Janeway. The benefit of Mike Dopud as eye-candy will only be realized if TPTB kill off all the Tau’ri on the ship.

In conclusion:
This is the usual dreck and drivel I have come to expect from SGU. The constant jumping around, the melodramatic musical montage, horrible acting from actors who should know better; are all symptomatic of what is wrong with SGU. TPTB seem to think that darker and grittier refers to lighting and set quality, not the quality of the writing. The stories are predictable and do not hold my attention at all. I did not wonder at the pulsar TJ saw at the end- it did not convey to me that she was “really” on the Faith planet; I still feel she was only unconscious and her mind provided a form of closure for her. I didn’t really care about any character other than Varro. I actually rolled my eyes as Chloe fingered her healed wounds in the music montage scene (while she was in bed with Scott), I did not feel any interest in how she got so miraculously healed. It was funny to see advertisements for Sanctuary that looked better than the SGU episode I was watching. I also saw several ads for the complete first season of SGU on DVD and Blue-ray and I wondered how they could expect anyone who had seen this horrible show would buy the previous season. The Lunesta (sleep aid) ad placement was very amusing….the episode was definitely a yawner.

I give it 1 star out of 5 (only because Mike Dopud is a delight to watch!)
*********************************************************************************************************************************
Reminders Section:
Rac80 is scheduled to do the Recap/Review for this premiere.
&
Fight for the cause!
Tell TPTB that SGU sucks, and we want well-written SGA and SG-1 movies!

Email: Syfy Pres. - dave.howe@nbcuni.com ..... Syfy Network: Feedback@syfy.com
Email: MGM ------ comments@mgm.com .... For more contact information click here.

I really liked this review! I notice that your claws are out but you seem to be in the same calm smug state that I am in. Im no longer afraid that this show will continue and threaten the direction of Stargate. This show taught TPTB that you cant just arrogantly assume that an established fanbase of a given franchise will follow it over a cliff if it decides to get suicidal. They will simply watch it with heads cocked, then move on to a new franchise. In my case, its gonna go to Sanctuary, V and SG-1 and SGA reruns. The Stargate franchise as it existed died with the cancellation of Atlantis, and I expect the franchise to die in its present form. Perhaps in a few years, we will have a chance at a reboot for the franchise. That could revive interest, but ONLY if these writers are fired...all of them.

About the review:

I also noticed that David Blue lost some weight. A significant amount of it, in fact. Perhaps he read our fitness thread? :D. And as you said, they dont explain it or pad him up any to give continuity to the second part of Incursion.

The whole Ginn thing...I agree, she seems to be based on Kayley from Firefly. And after seeing a marathon of Firefly recently, I am convinced that the interior of Destiny is most similar to Serenity than Battlestar Galactica. How can she just run to any console on the ship and program stuff and hack security and move around in the systems like she designed the damn thing? LAUGHABLE!

Robert Carlyle looks even dirtier, just like you said. And where the hell did Dupod come from? Its not like you could miss him in the original Incursion episode where they left the LA Icarus planet to board Destiny. Was he a bottle of Instant Hunk that that they added water to? Maybe he was miniaturized and hiding in somebody's pocket? :roll:

The show is quirky, disjointed and the continuity which was supposed to be facilitated by the "open ended story arc" is not there at all. Its just plain bad writing. Who the hell told them this show was more "mature" and "grown up"? What we see is what is there...not what we WANT to be there. The show sucks, plain and simple. I have changed my signature pic! :sgusucks:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
you really liked me!

*takes a bow* thank you all for your kind words for my review. the sacrifice of my time and a few brain cells was worth it so none of you will have to chance your own metal distress watching that horrible show. All I can say is: "who's next?" :D

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
I never understood how SGU was supposed to be 'darker' the last two seasons of Stargate Atlantis and SG-1 pretty much had entire worlds wiped out by the Ori, Wraith, or Replicators. The only way it could be darker is if the people that died were more well known (1 death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic kind of thing.)

This episode was pretty dull for me, it seemed stuck between older style Stargate plot devices and the new style of "gritty realism." The firefight in the hallway was a little too "tacticool" for me, with Greer and Scott slowly crouch walking across a hallway while the Lucian Alliance have open shots on them.

I agree with Racs review in that the Lucian Alliance were the best part of the episode, I really enjoyed their in-fighting as opposed to human's infighting. The LA just lost their commander, and since their a ragtag group of space-criminals it makes sense that there would be some indecision. Plus the acting was pretty good, while the humans didnt really say much. There were times where I was practically screaming at Young to just fucking say something, they rely too much on the dramatic silence

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hey buddy, do you REALLY think this show will have a season 2.5?

So, will you get your poison pen out for season 2.5, then? (if there is one ;)) We haven't set up the reviews for those yet. You can pick whichever you want to review at any time if you decide on it. :D

Cheers.

Before, it seemed that a mid-season cancellation was just wishful thinking...but now? :icon_e_wink:

I really think its gonna happen! I dont see how they can NOT cancel it now. We are talking about drama Tuesdays now! They could probably stick reruns of Atlantis in that slot and get better ratings. :icon_lol:. Which episode am I doing again?

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
But that Saturday morning cartoon slot is still open!

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
And where the hell did Dupod come from? Its not like you could miss him in the original Incursion episode where they left the LA Icarus planet to board Destiny. Was he a bottle of Instant Hunk that that they added water to? Maybe he was miniaturized and hiding in somebody's pocket? :roll:
Dupold was there. He was the one who gave Rush food in Incursion Part I and was sweet talking TJ for a lot of Part II. Robert Knepper and whoever is playing Ginn were retconned into being in this episode. We never saw another woman amongst the ranks of the Alliance characters on the ship aside from Kiva, who died.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
But...but....

But that Saturday morning cartoon slot is still open!

Yeah, but those cartoons are already getting better ratings than SGU, so....

:rotflmao:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay....I just looked it up. You are right.

Dupold was there. He was the one who gave Rush food in Incursion Part I and was sweet talking TJ for a lot of Part II. Robert Knepper and whoever is playing Ginn were retconned into being in this episode. We never saw another woman amongst the ranks of the Alliance characters on the ship aside from Kiva, who died.

Yes, Varro was in Incursion Pt 1 briefly (I looked it up and ran the part of the episode he was in). I think I meant Knepper. But the Ginn character is a good character but she is on the wrong show, the wrong ship and her presence on Destiny and her knowledge makes no sense at all. And you are right, she was not on the LA Icarus planet or the ship. Given how much she allegedly knows about the ship, ahe should have been the one working with Rush in Incursion Pt 1, not the scientist Kiva blew away.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I almost missed you here! WELCOME!

Sorry, I'm new, and I want to do things right next time, so... this is a review thread. Are we still supposed to spoiler tag in a review thread?

WELCOME to SGU Sucks! :sgusucks:
:welcomewagon:

You should only use the spoiler tags if you want to conceal something in the thread, or to hide a spoiler for a FUTURE episode. But for season 2, Im not sure we even need them anymore. For me, a spoiler would be the announcement of a season 3 :icon_e_confused:

T

Tanith

My honest opinion: The TJ scenes definitely should not have been in this episode. They do raise some questions about the 'Faith' aliens and whether or not what she experienced was real but it didn't have any place in the season premiere. This episode should have been fully focused on continuing from where Incursion Part 2 left of and the repercussions for TJ & her baby could have been done in another episode.

Would also of liked to of seen more of Young & crew trying to cope with the conditions on that planet, they weren't really on it long enough for you to wonder how they were going to get back. It was just all over so quick that there wasent any real sense of danger.

To me the episode as a whole wasn't terrible but it wasn't exactly brilliant either. I'd still rate it above 'Life', 'Earth' & 'Pain'.

The FINAL Season Premier

By Rac80

I have often wondered if the bad lighting is a way to disguise the reuse of the sets from SG1 and SGA. There are a couple of hallways that I swear were on a Ha’tak.

Na I don't believe that's the case. They have fully built sets, have seen a few vids of people taking a tour. They even have moveable walls to make a corridor look like a different corridor. There is a vid on here of Brad Wright showing a group of people round: http://www.collider.com/2010/09/29/stargate-universe-behind-the-scenes-tour-brad-wright-bridge-set/

Red Mage

Boney
The episode was about what I expected. There were definate pacing issues. The episode dragged on for much of the time. The stand off between Rush and Dannic took up like half the episode and it seeming went nowhere only to end extremely abruptly. It's about 25 minutes of:
Dannic: Your bluffing. You won't let your friends die.
Rush: No I call your bet. You forget I'm super machiavellian and have no problem sacrificing for the greater good.
Dannic: Grrr. I'm now over the top angry for no reason! I'm going to come get you all!
Rush: No you won't.
Dannic: Yes I will.
And the pointless banter goes on until about 5 minutes are left in the episode. I had no idea how the issue was going to resolve in when all the sudden it was like:
*Sudden Bang*
*Ginn unexpectedly shoots Dannic*
*Dannic falls*
*Cue music montoge*
End credits

I felt they atleast tried to do something different with writing out TJ baby when they could have just done a straight up miscarrage. Didn't really care much for the "Was her subconcious really on that planet or was she just experiencing an illusion?" I feel it was a bit of a cop out so they didn't have actually write the miscarrage into the story and deal with any constroversy. Instead they made it a pseudomiscarrage with the possibility the baby might still exist somewhere in some other plane of existance or something which seemed a bit lame.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
My honest opinion: The TJ scenes definitely should not have been in this episode. They do raise some questions about the 'Faith' aliens and whether or not what she experienced was real but it didn't have any place in the season premiere. This episode should have been fully focused on continuing from where Incursion Part 2 left of and the repercussions for TJ & her baby could have been done in another episode.

Would also of liked to of seen more of Young & crew trying to cope with the conditions on that planet, they weren't really on it long enough for you to wonder how they were going to get back. It was just all over so quick that there wasent any real sense of danger.

To me the episode as a whole wasn't terrible but it wasn't exactly brilliant either. I'd still rate it above 'Life', 'Earth' & 'Pain'.

Na I don't believe that's the case. They have fully built sets, have seen a few vids of people taking a tour. They even have moveable walls to make a corridor look like a different corridor. There is a vid on here of Brad Wright showing a group of people round: http://www.collider.com/2010/09/29/stargate-universe-behind-the-scenes-tour-brad-wright-bridge-set/

reused from SG1 and SGA...I saw the video earlier that was when i realized how much they resembled what they had on the other two shows.

You are right, there was NO sense of peril with Young and Co. I think the ratings have shown that you and I were not the only ones who found the episode lacking.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hi there Tanith.

Na I don't believe that's the case. They have fully built sets, have seen a few vids of people taking a tour round. They even have moveable walls to make a corridor look like a different corridor. There is a vid on here of Brad Wright showing a group of people round: http://www.collider.com/2010/09/29/stargate-universe-behind-the-scenes-tour-brad-wright-bridge-set/

Well, yeah they messed it up quite a bit. But in the cliffhanger, TJ being shot in the stomach was SUPPOSED to be part of the suspense they were trying to build. In my opinion, "dark and gritty" would have been the baby dying, not being somehow "sent" to some made up aliens back on the Faith planet. And where did the cabins come from? Are we to believe they built them or what? Totally belonged in Harry Potter. The only thing it reminds me of is the Nexus in the Star Trek Generations movie. And the Ginn girl, she seems to know more about this ship and its systems than Rush, Daniel, McKay and Merlin do. Why doesnt she just build a ZPM and a new stargate and just gate home? :roll:

But this premiere was really bad, and I can see you believe that as well. I fully expect many of you SGU fans to become ex-fans, and you are welcome to speak out here. Also, be aware that there IS a protected forum here for SGU fans who want to say good things about SGU without fear of flaming.

I admire your courage in coming here to share your thoughts, and I am trying to show you I am not always going to bite pro-SGU heads off! :icon_cool:.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was pretty bad. Some stray thoughts.

It sure looks like the SGU writers still have not figured out the idea that the easiest way to write good scripts from episode to episode is to fully think everything out first. It's ironic that they want SGU to be a Stargate/BSG because in its early seasons BSG was extremely well written and SGU is not - not even close.

If you want to see how a season premiere SHOULD be made, look at the BSG Season 2 premiere (Scattered). It is tightly written and logically follows up on the prior season events while advancing the main and secondary plots. Alas the writing stayed good until roughly the 11th episode of the season then it fell off a cliff.

As to Ginn, she had little screen time so it's hard to see what she is supposed to be. If she is to be a Kaylee clone (and I loved the character of Kaylee on Firefly - she was the girl you really wanted to be with), what on earth is she doing with the LA? A big part of the "Kaylee appeal" is her innate goodness and warmth. Terms I find it hard to attach to the Lucian Alliance.

It's really hard to find redeeming qualities in this episode. As already noted there was no sense of peril, and the fact that the established characters are so unlikeable makes it worse - no sense of danger to people you find it really hard to root for anyway. That is the end result of the extremely poor job of character building done in S1 (having people so completely defined by their flaws and who do not rise above them) - who cares if these clowns die?

Plus we get "Cloverine". No doubt this is the start of the silly stuff in the previews about Chloe turning all silver or such (if the writers have real guts let her change all the way into an Alien and don't change her back - that'll give Scott a new relationship twist).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The girl claimed she could "get around" a lockout.

The girl walked up to a terminal which had been locked out by Rush and claimed she could "get around it". She acted as though she knew more about the ship than any previously seen character I have seen in the show, including Rush and Eli!

And, where did she come from in the first place? We sure didnt see her come through the gate. :)

Osiristi

GateFans Noob
I think this episode was one of the best ones in Stargate Universe, and actually one of the best ones in the whole Stargate franchise, too. It had it's intensity, it had a good, working B-plot that left viewers wondering wether it was true or just imagination, and it set the events of Season 2 in motion with Lucian Alliance as prisoners on Destiny and with Chloe's healing abilities.

Say whatever you want, but this worked for me. Of course, when you watch it with hate in your mind instead of going with open mind, you only try to spot the bad things and don't give any merit to the things you actually liked. SGU deserves a chance.

Osiristi

GateFans Noob
Oh, I don't expect everyone, or more likely anyone on this forum, to agree with me anymore. But I still haven't seen what is so bad in SGU there has to be a hate site for it, and that's what I'm here to find out.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
there were more than one oppertunity for Rodney to talk to ancients (or related entities):
The Ascended lass that is "cursed" to protect one planet.
The guys who Ascended with Shepp's help.
The "holographic ancients" on the Aurora.
The ancients in the "return" series.
The Asurans.
Repli-Wier.

Granted most of these options were cut off "on screen" before Rodney could grill them about ancient tech, but there have been other oppertunities.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Oh, I don't expect everyone, or more likely anyone on this forum, to agree with me anymore. But I still haven't seen what is so bad in SGU there has to be a hate site for it, and that's what I'm here to find out.

Hey Osirsti, welcome aboard.

Just so you know, this is not actually a "hate site". People come here for a myriad of reasons be it thier anger over SGA's cancellation, a dislike of the new direction, the censorship on gateworld or even more reasons I either don't know or couldn't be bothered rattling off.