General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 01 - “Intervention”

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Hi Everyone :)

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I actually watched this last week and I didn't like the story on TJ as I found a bit dull and dry and not to mention those crappy songs they keep on playing at the end. Why not keep it something classical music?

Anyway I'm not sure if you guys know but this episode didn't do well in the ratings it only pulled in 1.175 million people which is the lowest ever. This might be due partly because it's been moved to Tuesday and probably the fans are not accustomed to watch Stargate on a Tuesday night. One other factor that might have played as well, was the long season break, I've read a post on Gateworld that they didn't advertise SGU at all during the programming of WWE Wrestling (How is this even Sci-Fi?). Also many fans must have been bored of SGU after season 01 so I guess they don't want to watch.

I would like to give the show a chance but it's just not good enough for me, it's not something I would watch again. There is no sense of adventure(or lack there of) in this type of show.

Whilst, Wrestling pulled in 2.5 million people.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WELCOME!

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I actually watched this last week and I didn't like the story on TJ as I found a bit dull and dry and not to mention those crappy songs they keep on playing at the end. Why not keep it something classical music?

Anyway I'm not sure if you guys know but this episode didn't do well in the ratings it only pulled in 1.175 million people which is the lowest ever. This might be due partly because it's been moved to Tuesday and probably the fans are not accustomed to watch Stargate on a Tuesday night. One other factor that might have played as well, was the long season break, I've read a post on Gateworld that they didn't advertise SGU at all during the programming of WWE Wrestling (How is this even Sci-Fi?). Also many fans must have been bored of SGU after season 01 so I guess they don't want to watch.

I would like to give the show a chance because ScyFy channel wants to introduce other low budget shows next year for some reason.

First, WELCOME to the site!

:welcomewagon:

This is your first visit here, but ratings have a complete thread which is constantly updated and will have the latest ratings for last night's episode as soon as they are published.

To address your other excu...reasons for the show not doing well:

• You claim that people are not accustomed to watching the show on Tuesday nights? Well, Warehouse 13 did just fine in that slot, and Sanctuary is doing better while this show is sinking. ITS THE SHOW, not the day of the week.
  • The long season break is something all Syfy's shows suffer, and SGU wasnt doing well when the break came anyway. But thats because ITS THE SHOW that is not working.
  • The last reason is the correct one:

Also many fans must have been bored of SGU after season 01 so I guess they don't want to watch.
I want them to cancel this show, and I can easily live without it until REAL Stargate can be written by new writers.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
First, WELCOME to the site!

:welcomewagon:

This is your first visit here, but ratings have a complete thread which is constantly updated and will have the latest ratings for last night's episode as soon as they are published.

To address your other excu...reasons for the show not doing well:

• You claim that people are not accustomed to watching the show on Tuesday nights? Well, Warehouse 13 did just fine in that slot, and Sanctuary is doing better while this show is sinking. ITS THE SHOW, not the day of the week.
  • The long season break is something all Syfy's shows suffer, and SGU wasnt doing well when the break came anyway. But thats because ITS THE SHOW that is not working.
  • The last reason is the correct one:

I want them to cancel this show, and I can easily live without it until REAL Stargate can be written by new writers.

Oh I see thanks for letting me know :) Also wow that's a big ask, :p I doubt it will happen dude I don't share your optimism on that :p

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Lol!

ROFLMAO - that review by Whitelaw is hilarious - "not so with this cosmic dud" :laughing: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Awesomeness. There are so many good one-liners in there, that are so true!

What it appears to be instead - and it was difficult to tell, as it was shot almost entirely in semi-darkness, in shaky hand-held style - is a self-consciously gritty Battlestar Galactica rip-off, entirely humourless, in which dull characters argue about pulsars.
:sgusucks:

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
I also searched for the newspaper on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotsman.com
It seems it is a serious news site.

Hehe, a national newspaper! That's gotta hurt TPTB's egos. Maybe somebody should email the writer to tell him about SGUsucks. Maybe then he'll mention it in an article and we'll be able to edit SGU's wikipedia entry to include us :icon_twisted:

I already posted a link to it on Gateworld as an example, how confusing SGU is to new viewers, which of course won't help to get new viewers. ;)

Good job :) Love to see them try to argue with that :icon_lol:

iratecaller

GateFans Noob
Unfortunately the second review was complaining about having to google some terms from SGU .
Clearly this is someone who isn't sci-fi oriented to begin with.

The review would have been negative even if it was for Atlantis Season 7.

If he can't get around the techno-bable, his review is damning of all good sci-fi.

I'm happy that negative reviews of SGU are coming in, but it's a sad day when an adult doesn't know what a pulsar is, or what hyrdoponics are. I suppose "pulsar" would be known to anybody who likes sci-fi, period. (Or those who like Science.:facepalm:) Hydroponics? come on.

Besides, what's wrong with having to look up some terms? Education and self improvement aren't high on the list of priorites it would seem.
confused.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That is the bane of the mainstream for ya!

Unfortunately the second review was complaining about having to google some terms from SGU .
Clearly this is someone who isn't sci-fi oriented to begin with.

The review would have been negative even if it was for Atlantis Season 7.

If he can't get around the techno-bable, his review is damning of all good sci-fi.

I'm happy that negative reviews of SGU are coming in, but it's a sad day when an adult doesn't know what a pulsar is, or what hyrdoponics are. I suppose "pulsar" would be known to anybody who likes sci-fi, period. (Or those who like Science.:facepalm:) Hydroponics? come on.

Besides, what's wrong with having to look up some terms? Education and self improvement aren't high on the list of priorites it would seem.
confused.gif

Thats why the mainstream is satisfied with reality shows and serialized dramas. Everybody understands crying, yelling, whining and sex. But throw a simple scientific concept at them which requires a small bit of high school science knowledge, and it becomes "technobabble". :roll: