Defecation/Dumbinion CANCELLED!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Good riddance to ****

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I liked Dominion, but I cannot say that I am surprised by the news. I would have rather seen Defiance canceled.

Oh that's right, you liked Dominion. No worries though as I'm sure SyFy is planning to replace it with something just as stellar. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You can probably produce a season of both Dark Matter and Killjoys for the cost to produce a season of Defiance.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I am not surprised at this news at all, except that Defiance was not also canceled. However, it still may be canceled. :) Syfy announced the renewals of both Dark Matter and Killjoys but not Defiance:

http://seriable.com/defiance-cancelled-renewed-season-4/
You can probably produce a season of both Dark Matter and Killjoys for the cost to produce a season of Defiance.

I wonder if there's any of that huge ($200+ million?) production budget left after three seasons? If so TPTB might just say screw it and go for one more season.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I am guessing syfy Channel will either get dismantled or it will get sold to another buyer or get a complete rebranding. The channel is really struggling it seems to get viewers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I think we all knew this, but for some reason they delayed this decision. To me, it was sort of a no-brainer, even though the numbers were sort of in the zone. The budget for the show was too high I think. Hopefully, a new show will come along more like Dark Matter and Killjoys. We lost Continuum, Dominion and Defiance which means we have something new coming in the pipeline to fill those voids. Hopefully...

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I think we all knew this, but for some reason they delayed this decision. To me, it was sort of a no-brainer, even though the numbers were sort of in the zone. The budget for the show was too high I think. Hopefully, a new show will come along more like Dark Matter and Killjoys. We lost Continuum, Dominion and Defiance which means we have something new coming in the pipeline to fill those voids. Hopefully...
Perhaps they wanted to soften the blow until the hype died down?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

heisenberg

Earl Grey
If you watched the last episode, you can see an ending there even if it isn't explicit. Most of the fans who were watching the show (not me!) seemed to get "ending" in that last episode and they were talking about it here:

http://tvline.com/2015/08/28/defiance-season-3-finale-nolan-yewll-leave-earth/

I think the writers knew it was over.

Another show on the cancellation list btw that slipped by.

http://www.scifistream.com/2015/10/cbs-cancels-extant-after-two-seasons/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Another show on the cancellation list btw that slipped by.

http://www.scifistream.com/2015/10/cbs-cancels-extant-after-two-seasons/

Oh that's right...the one with Halle Berry in it, right? If you had not mentioned it, that orphaned engram in my brain which had stored it would have just drifted without purpose! I completely forgot it was even on. :) Perhaps now that it was canned, I will watch it to see what it was about? Has anyone been watching that show here?

ecgordon

Star's Hero
OFF TOPIC, as far as Dominion (never watched it) or Defiance (gave up after 2 seasons) are concerned.

Please do not write off Syfy because of these two stinkers, that are now relegated to history. Everyone needs to check out The Expanse in December. It's getting a two episode premiere, Monday the 14th and Tuesday the 15th, both episodes following Parts 1 & 2 of Childhood's End. There has been a lot of positive buzz for the show, based on the book series by James S. A. Corey (Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck). The pilot episode was shown at both San Diego Comic Con and most recently at NYCC. Syfy has already renewed it for a second season, and since there have been five novels and a handful of shorter stories so far, they have a lot of material to work with for a long-lasting series. I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard they have budgeted it at $5 million per episode, which is surely higher than anything recent, with the possible exception of Defiance.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oh that's right...the one with Halle Berry in it, right? If you had not mentioned it, that orphaned engram in my brain which had stored it would have just drifted without purpose! I completely forgot it was even on. :) Perhaps now that it was canned, I will watch it to see what it was about? Has anyone been watching that show here?

I gave up on the show right away. Not a Halle Berry fan and the "plot" just didn't interest me. As soon as I saw that she was an astronaut who came back from space "changed" (mysteriously pregnant, more of a bitch, etc.) I bailed. Too much opportunity for lame inter-personal melodrama and not enough emphasis on cool sci-fi shit. I like to think by ejecting I chose wisely. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The Expanse in December. It's getting a two episode premiere, Monday the 14th and Tuesday the 15th, both episodes following Parts 1 & 2 of Childhood's End. There has been a lot of positive buzz for the show, based on the book series by James S. A. Corey (Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck). The pilot episode was shown at both San Diego Comic Con and most recently at NYCC. Syfy has already renewed it for a second season, and since there have been five novels and a handful of shorter stories so far, they have a lot of material to work with for a long-lasting series. I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard they have budgeted it at $5 million per episode, which is surely higher than anything recent, with the possible exception of Defiance.

It's standard for SyFy to now give a 2-season guarantee, especially with higher budgeted shows such as this. The people sinking their money into these productions don't want to be screwed by having their shows viewed as total failures. At least with a 2-season guarantee they can, hopefully, make back what they invested plus have the added benefit of being able to market the show as "complete" in DVD format. (And giving the writers notice to write a wrap-up episode is becoming standard too.) It's all part of the marketing game. It took awhile but they finally figured out that there is no resale value in a failed product.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OFF TOPIC, as far as Dominion (never watched it) or Defiance (gave up after 2 seasons) are concerned.

Please do not write off Syfy because of these two stinkers, that are now relegated to history. Everyone needs to check out The Expanse in December. It's getting a two episode premiere, Monday the 14th and Tuesday the 15th, both episodes following Parts 1 & 2 of Childhood's End. There has been a lot of positive buzz for the show, based on the book series by James S. A. Corey (Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck). The pilot episode was shown at both San Diego Comic Con and most recently at NYCC. Syfy has already renewed it for a second season, and since there have been five novels and a handful of shorter stories so far, they have a lot of material to work with for a long-lasting series. I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard they have budgeted it at $5 million per episode, which is surely higher than anything recent, with the possible exception of Defiance.

Actually, I have given Syfy a second chance already. They are giving us Z Nation (awesome and funny), Killjoys (very entertaining), and Dark Matter (episodic/serial, scifi-adventure). Because of these shows, Syfy Rewind (now looks very Netflix-esque) even gets its own bookmark on my sacred Bookmarks Bar. :). They are being thoughtful and giving us endings to stuff. BIG POINTS for that. Real big ups to them for doing that.

I have higher hopes for Childhood's End than before, because of the efforts I am noticing from writers to ease up on the interpersonal drama. I think the video people need to turn up the lights again, but I commend the greatly attenuated shaky cam technique. Looking forward to Expanse.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I gave up on the show right away. Not a Halle Berry fan and the "plot" just didn't interest me. As soon as I saw that she was an astronaut who came back from space "changed" (mysteriously pregnant, more of a bitch, etc.) I bailed. Too much opportunity for lame inter-personal melodrama and not enough emphasis on cool sci-fi shit. I like to think by ejecting I chose wisely. ;)

When I read that premise before the show aired, I never tuned in at all. I have not seen a single episode completely. If Halle was supposed to be the draw, that did not work. I wouldnt have watched a show on TV with Julia Roberts as a starship captain either. I have nothing at all against babies and pregnancy, but doing it as a story arc on TV (especially alien/mutant babies) is a huge turnoff.