Defecation/Dumbinion CANCELLED!

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
image.jpeg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
For how much they hyped the show at the beginning it's kind of a sad, pathetic ending. Had they been a little more sincere in creating a good story to begin with chances are they wouldn't be tearing down those sets now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
For how much they hyped the show at the beginning it's kind of a sad, pathetic ending. Had they been a little more sincere in creating a good story to begin with chances are they wouldn't be tearing down those sets now.

There was a lot of creativity in creating that world they were trying to give us, but the writing and the storytelling of that world is what ruined it for me. Not enough thought was given to the foundation of the premise (which would have been more interesting IMO). They used trope-y characters and wrapped those characters up in "alien" drag. The game did not need any storytelling much, just the basics. The TV show did not help the game from what I could see. And regarding the game, I purchased it then they made it free and that sucked. Now, the game is in MMO limbo with so many other ambitious games that did not get legs. At least it's fans got sort of an ending...

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What "storytelling"? Probably THE major issue right out of the gate was that there was zero exposition on how the series world came to be or even how things worked in it. As a result, there was no context to place character actions in which ultimately made the show difficult to really engage with. Also, season one suffered from poor pacing and over the top shipping.

Season two fixed the pacing and the shipping and to be honest season three was actually watchable. Even then, however, the lack of backstory dogged them constantly. At least in that last season they introduced the Omec and (gasp!) actually explained what they were right out of the gate - which helped a lot.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What "storytelling"? Probably THE major issue right out of the gate was that there was zero exposition on how the series world came to be or even how things worked in it. As a result, there was no context to place character actions in which ultimately made the show difficult to really engage with. Also, season one suffered from poor pacing and over the top shipping.

Yep, they created a trap for themselves by not giving backstory to the show. In games, however, this is the norm. You are plopped into a world the game has already created, and then you are given a goal to reach within the game. Playing as a character in a game allows you to interact and explore the game world. Sometimes, finding things in the game give you more backstory. But in a TV show, there is no interaction. They dumped us in the town with a flimsy backstory in the prologue, and expected us to get right down to the drama.

Season two fixed the pacing and the shipping and to be honest season three was actually watchable. Even then, however, the lack of backstory dogged them constantly. At least in that last season they introduced the Omec and (gasp!) actually explained what they were right out of the gate - which helped a lot.

When I realized I was watching a re-skinned western from the 1960s style show, I tuned out. I found several of the characters particularly grating and there was nobody in the show I wanted to root for. There was nothing done with the other aliens in the town much, and the behavior of these "aliens" was just not believable at all.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
At least we don't have to deal with the whining of fanbois the way we did with SGU. Thank God for small favors.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
At least we don't have to deal with the whining of fanbois the way we did with SGU. Thank God for small favors.

This is sort of a topic to itself...the demise of "fandom". At least the way we knew it. I very much doubt there will ever be a Defiance convention. I doubt that it will become a cult classic either. The fanbases of Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly and Stargate all end up at ComicCon. But from what I hear (I do not know this for sure), the reboot crew in NuTrek are not really wanted at Star Trek conventions. Who wants to be lovey dovey Spock or Gurlfriend Uhura?

Bit I digress. :) The only characters I can remember from Defiance, I did not like them.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I can't help but remember that tense period we waited to (gleefully) hear that SGU was cancelled but even more so, to know that the sets had been struck. That was the real final word on the whole thing.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Good point OM1 . No one will dress up as a character from deficance and if they do they will be shunned out of the place or completley ignored or have to explain who they are . There was nothing about that show that made me want to watch it . Bacon grease is for making yorshire pudding . Not the friggin bedroom ... They lost me on that episode and I never went back .

Good point on the nutrudge also . That scene with spock smoochin oh whore was so out of place . I swear time stopped when I saw that as it was just so friggin weird and I think my brain was shakin itself in my skull . I distinctly remember my lips muttering quietly ( what the fudge ) ? ? ? did I just see ? ? ? ... Again it was the one scene that made me realize how much they destroyed start trek as we knew it . I was lulled into excitement by the actors and there great way of immitating the original cast . The Doc was spot on and was my fave and I guess kirk also ...
Ooops ... Went off topic again ...
One thing I am sad about defication is that I won't be getting and showing spy shots of the set anymore . That was kinda fun and I did get a tour of the town when they weren't shooting last summer ...
I also never happened across any actors other than some extras . They kept them away from the locals hidden in there trailers . Guess I could have lurked around more but I really did not like the show so I would have had to act like I liked it to get a bit closer to anyone or even get some actors pics ... They were a very nice crew of people there tho that let me roam around freely during one day of a shoot ... That was cool . And actually I was on another set just this week . Can't say more than that ... More info to come later once its been released ...

;) ;) ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Good point OM1 . No one will dress up as a character from deficance and if they do they will be shunned out of the place or completley ignored or have to explain who they are . There was nothing about that show that made me want to watch it . Bacon grease is for making yorshire pudding . Not the friggin bedroom ... They lost me on that episode and I never went back .

that was the last full ep i ever watched as well---stupid show, nothing more need be said

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
that was the last full ep i ever watched as well---stupid show, nothing more need be said

I thought he was kidding...there was actual bacon grease involved in an episode....connected with sex?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I thought he was kidding...there was actual bacon grease involved in an episode....connected with sex?

Yes, there was. The prostitute cooked some bacon and got it sizzling hot then dumped it onto this guy on the bed who got off on it. It was one of the stupidest scenes ever in all of television. :rolleye0014: