Youtube analytics

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So my Youtube channel (which I created about 6 years ago I think) has been receiving a sudden surge of visitors since about two weeks ago. One video in particular was getting a lot of traffic compared to its normal volume. I wondered why and asked in the comments. Got responses from several people that the video had been sent through to them by Youtube via email. I suppose it was somehow a little part of some sort of newsletter.

I thought it might be nice to share some of the analytics here in case somebody finds it of interest.

o0UdOtD.png

sut07MX.png

Pvs1DqX.png

xaH5XMX.png

yd55s17.png

HwXQEkX.png

n5Pab4M.png

T4nI1Ox.png

VwyY3SU.png

KVxCOPb.png

IkZxCd7.png

hh0bdzK.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Do you shoot your videos or are they re-posed from elsewhere? This is a great surprise when you find out one or more of your "products" have become popular! I was just as surprised then Break media paid me for my little video of Siete and his dog Bella. If you can do this with out trying, what might happen if you TRIED to make a video go viral? Great job man!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I wonder what Browse Features means.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I wonder what Browse Features means.

Found it means this:

"Traffic from the homepage/home screen, subscription feed and other browsing features for both signed-in and signed-out users."

Now I'm wondering what Other Browsing Features means.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly zero.

Just like here. :) I keep this place online because I will not do Facebook, I know everyone here and we don't have to worry about all the shit that comes with being on social media. At least, that is what it is for me. :) I look at the analytics for here and my other websites but no money has been made except when Siete's video was bought by Break Media. $100 bucks! That cat has made more money than I have online in the past 5 years! An aside, back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, I would regularly make $100 or $200 a month from Google on my political site, just based on traffic and unique views, plus click throughs. Lots more traffic.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Little update. Whatever Youtube did has definitely had an impact on viewership. For right now the amount of viewers is appearing to stabilize a bit at just under 30k per day. I sort of have this feeling that there is some kind of "AI" being employed by Youtube to analyze traffic data and somehow it decided that my channel was a good candidate to give a little promotional effort.

m0o0Fem.png

Just to illustrate the difference this impact has made...

iDmZRO1.png

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Little update. Whatever Youtube did has definitely had an impact on viewership. For right now the amount of viewers is appearing to stabilize a bit at just under 30k per day. I sort of have this feeling that there is some kind of "AI" being employed by Youtube to analyze traffic data and somehow it decided that my channel was a good candidate to give a little promotional effort.

m0o0Fem.png

iDmZRO1.png

Algorithms. :)

m0o0Fem.png

iDmZRO1.png

Serious question: Is there a point at which YouTube begins to pay you for views?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

m0o0Fem.png

iDmZRO1.png

stargate origins comes out online on the 15th, do you think it may be possible that they are paying google to 'bump' all vids stargate on YOUTUBE to promote a general interest in stargate prior to its release?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Serious question: Is there a point at which YouTube begins to pay you for views?

I suppose there is. But not for me. At least not the way things are now. Technically the videos on my channel are copyrighted and I don't own the rights. It is technically against the rules to upload such videos on Youtube. I'm surprised that they haven't been taken down frankly. But anywayz, I have the money making functionality turned off on my channel, because if I did turn it on, I suspect they'd take the channel down in no-time. Also, I feel that MGM or whomever actually owns the rights should be the ones making money of it, not me. I just posted some videos. Although of course I did invest quite some time in making and uploading them when I started the channel. I'm just happy that other people are enjoying the videos. All I really wanted to do was for Stargate to remain having a presence after it seemed the whole castle came crumbling down after SGU. I think I sort of succeeded. Pretty sure there are new Stargate fans today because they've seen videos on my channel, although of course I could not prove that. More Stargate fans means better chances of new shows and movies.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
stargate origins comes out online on the 15th, do you think it may be possible that they are paying google to 'bump' all vids stargate on YOUTUBE to promote a general interest in stargate prior to its release?

That could very well be. Although it could also simply be the people themselves finding the videos. I noticed a bump in the amount of viewers after the news of the new Stargate show came out initially. Here's a couple to compare.

Lifetime graph:

A9a5EvD.png

Little zoomed in (01/07/2016 till now):

VAgqL7Q.png

More zoomed in (01/03/2017 till 30/11/2017):

Kyp9SNY.png

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Definite downward trend now. Although it's much more gradual than I had expected. Just dipped below 20k viewers per day.

ODjx0LG.png

bjoMn7a.png

NMnXAVx.png

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Definite downward trend now. Although it's much more gradual than I had expected. Just dipped below 20k viewers per day.

ODjx0LG.png

bjoMn7a.png

NMnXAVx.png

interesting, I wonder if indeed STARGATE COMMAND was bumping yours and other vids regarding all things GATE? trying to generate more interest in their new show and website?

I mean, what a way to entice ppl? Your stuff is some good bits of funny and just plain great SG1 stuff. Ppl watch that and say "man, that was a great show, I hope this new show will be like that". it fits with their lazy production and writing of SO's.

I have also noticed on my 'feed' or whatever YT calls it now; others' SG vids as well as yours

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It might not even be deliberate. Maybe there are videos about Stargate Origins which catch a lot of attention right now and the algorithms think anything Stargate related might be of interest to people, or they are just related videos coming up in suggestions.