Wristwatches...finally obsolete?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, today I accidentally smashed my watch on the corner of a granite tabletop...and although I had had that watch for many years, after wrecking it I realized that I really had not "used" it for many years. I owned a dress watch and a casual watch for many years, but in the past 10 or 15 years, I realize that thay have been more of a fashion accessory rather than a useful item. I use the clock and calendar on my cellphone or computer FAR more than any watch. I remember last year seeing that my dress watch (with a calendar) had actually stopped because of a dead battery about three days before I noticed it. :) So, I dont think I will be replacing this watch, and I am going to let the pale band on my left wrist get a tan and join the rest of my skin until no trace of me wearing it is left.

:icon_e_wink:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
personally i cant say ive EVER used a wrist watch so to me they have been obsolete for a loong time.

Tropicana

Council Member
Well, today I accidentally smashed my watch on the corner of a granite tabletop...and although I had had that watch for many years, after wrecking it I realized that I really had not "used" it for many years. I owned a dress watch and a casual watch for many years, but in the past 10 or 15 years, I realize that thay have been more of a fashion accessory rather than a useful item. I use the clock and calendar on my cellphone or computer FAR more than any watch. I remember last year seeing that my dress watch (with a calendar) had actually stopped because of a dead battery about three days before I noticed it. :) So, I dont think I will be replacing this watch, and I am going to let the pale band on my left wrist get a tan and join the rest of my skin until no trace of me wearing it is left.

:icon_e_wink:
I use my wristwatch everyday, there are some places you can't bring your phone with u.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I used to wear a watch all the time but stopped after I got my first cell phone. I don't miss the watch at all.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I used to wear a watch all the time but stopped after I got my first cell phone. I don't miss the watch at all.

Me too...but somehow, I didnt internalize that until I broke my watch. I just put it on every day, wiped the face of it, and was on my way. I dont know exactly when I stopped looking at it for the time. :) I am always using my Droid, and I have a clamp for it in my car and a holster for it. Usually, I just check the phone for the time...but I never realized that I wasnt using my watch. I wont ever wear another one. My skin is tingling where the pale tan line on my wrist is. Its already starting to look like the rest of my skin. :)

I now notice that very very few people over 30 are wearing watches anymore. Some of the emo boys are wearing the big chunky ones, but they look more like fashion accessories now instead of a useful piece. I think I would laugh if I saw somebody buying one of those expensive Rolex watches or a Bvlgari. Also interesting is the decline of desirability for "fine jewelry". Most of my lady friends go for beads and more modern costume jewelry which compliments their outfits rather than gold and diamonds like I remember on women growing up.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I use my wristwatch everyday, there are some places you can't bring your phone with u.

True...but is it part of your outfit or an actual tool for your daily going-on? My phones (present and past) have been all smartphones since about 2005, and my calendars and email are on that device. Watches cant replace that, and the phone can have multiple alarms and give me event reminders. But I wore that watch because it was something I was used to doing...now its broken, and I suddenly realize that I dont need it. :)

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
True...but is it part of your outfit or an actual tool for your daily going-on? My phones (present and past) have been all smartphones since about 2005, and my calendars and email are on that device. Watches cant replace that, and the phone can have multiple alarms and give me event reminders. But I wore that watch because it was something I was used to doing...now its broken, and I suddenly realize that I dont need it. :)
I use my watch all the time, since I internalize my schedule and keep my iPod Touch in my pocket for listening to music after the first few weeks of adjusting to a new class schedule. I also use my watch's timer feature when doing my laundry because it's easier than messing with the iPod's one (which is less useful because it can't do seconds, which is a massive annoyance when it comes to cooking).

S

Stonelesscutter

Think of all the calories you burned all those years carrying around that extra weight. :P

S

Stonelesscutter

I think I haven't worn my watch for at least 10 years now. It's been lying around at one place or another. Occasionally I remember I have it and then when I go get it I notice that it has stopped operating. I think I went to the jeweler twice to have new batteries installed. I don't think I'm gonna do it a third time unless I find myself wanting to wear it again.

G

Graybrew1

I have a pretty watch I wear everyday. It is a non digital silver and gold colored watch with tiny little crystals around the face. It matches every outfit. I love it.

S

Stonelesscutter

I have a pretty watch I wear everyday. It is a non digital silver and gold colored watch with tiny little crystals around the face. It matches every outfit. I love it.

I don't see it on your arm.

Red Mage

Boney
Watches are more of a fashion accessory than a tool nowadays. It's like a tie. It serves not real practical use but a nice tie and watch are symbols of professionalism. I have a nice looking Timex watch I wear on occasion because it looks nice. I also have a pocket watch that I have chained around my belt. That I wear more often because it functions as a stop watch which I use. I used that to tell time most of the time unless it's dark out then I pull out the cellphone. There are some places that a cell can't go so I have a watch for those instances For example, I have a water resistant watch that I can take with me in pool or to the beach because the cellphone can't go swimming with me.

S

Stonelesscutter

Maybe some James Bond-like upgrades like a watch that can magnetically pull cell keys away from guards or shoot lazers.

Sounds interesting. I want one, but only if it has a built-in flotation device.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I haven't regularly worn a wristwatch since I lost mine hiking Little Cottonwood canyon in Utah with snookie in 2002! I have a fancy dress one (citizen) that I wear for special occasions...but my phone does double duty these days. :D