Wormhole Riders - Bias at its' Best

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Here is an article at a site called Wormhole Riders (they send "reporters" to cons and blog about their experiences and also review episodes). They have become pretty close with TPTB, particularly on Twitter.

Here is an article entitled "As The Wormhole Turns: Fan Loyalty and Rebellion in a Cyber-World"
that purports to discuss fan behavior towards their favorite shows, but you can clearly see the bias when you read the article. And guess who wrote it? Arctic Goddess, the same person, who at the LA Con, was spreading rumors of a demonstration against the SGU actors.As The Wormhole

http://wormholeriders.com/blog/?p=21196Turns: Fan Loyalty and Rebellion in A Cyber-World

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Here is an article at a site called Wormhole Riders (they send "reporters" to cons and blog about their experiences and also review episodes). They have become pretty close with TPTB, particularly on Twitter.

Here is an article entitled "As The Wormhole Turns: Fan Loyalty and Rebellion in a Cyber-World"
that purports to discuss fan behavior towards their favorite shows, but you can clearly see the bias when you read the article. And guess who wrote it? Arctic Goddess, the same person, who at the LA Con, was spreading rumors of a demonstration against the SGU actors.As The Wormhole

http://wormholeriders.com/blog/?p=21196Turns: Fan Loyalty and Rebellion in A Cyber-World

Hmm.
It's a little less biased than most of what you read out there and more professionally done than MH's little spat, perhaps she can teach him something?

However, just because you mention that no side is entirely without blame (and couched in a writing style that leaves the distict impression that the fans "fired first") does not make you "impartial". In fact considering the "rumor" she started on GW about the LA con:
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthre...!!!-(Official-SG-Con-Los-Angeles-2010)/page26
she is far from impartial.

What needs to happen is for an actual "impartial entity" to do a piece on this and check all thier facts first.

Of course, that won't happen because the closest we got was Mo Ryans SGU peice and she was promptly set on by a rabid Wright, so what paid proffesional would bother wasting thier time after that?

creno

GateFans Noob
Haha, I totally forgot about that site. If you are looking for a good laugh, read some of their articles about SGU. Fair warning, though. The praise is nauseating enough to warrant a vomit bag. Even SGU fanboys would shake their heads in disbelief.

More on topic. The article was kind of pointless, to be honest. Most of the hostility died down long ago. It would have been more useful when the shit really hit the fan.

Sixamp

GateFans Noob
Everything in the article was said in truth so I don't see a problem with .sga fans attacked bus and his mom, sga fans namely most of this site went apeshit on tptb,

Yet another article painting Smith and his mother as poor, innocent victims of those angry sga fans. What a bunch of lies. How quickly they forget that Smith and his mother went out of their way to routinely insult stargate fans and even the owners of gw.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Hmm.
It's a little less biased than most of what you read out there and more professionally done than MH's little spat, perhaps she can teach him something?

However, just because you mention that no side is entirely without blame (and couched in a writing style that leaves the distict impression that the fans "fired first") does not make you "impartial". In fact considering the "rumor" she started on GW about the LA con:
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthre...!!!-(Official-SG-Con-Los-Angeles-2010)/page26
she is far from impartial.

What needs to happen is for an actual "impartial entity" to do a piece on this and check all thier facts first.

Of course, that won't happen because the closest we got was Mo Ryans SGU peice and she was promptly set on by a rabid Wright, so what paid proffesional would bother wasting thier time after that?

Yo, G, dissecting what's wrong with SGU, TPTB and the SG fanbase is sort of a moot issue at this point as SGU is dead now so I can't see any genuine impartial journalist bothering with the whole thing. It would have been a great thing to do, and actually could have helped the show, if it had been done much, much earlier. Now though, it's not even worth the effort to opine on.

Besides, anyone stupid enough to try and appear impartial while writing an article with one hand while their other hand is jammed down the pants of Brad Wright is a douche nozzle of the highest order. Bitch be trying to act all impartial and unbiased and shit like we ain't gonna notice, yeah right.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yo, G, dissecting what's wrong with SGU, TPTB and the SG fanbase is sort of a moot issue at this point as SGU is dead now so I can't see any genuine impartial journalist bothering with the whole thing. It would have been a great thing to do, and actually could have helped the show, if it had been done much, much earlier. Now though, it's not even worth the effort to opine on.

Besides, anyone stupid enough to try and appear impartial while writing an article with one hand while their other hand is jammed down the pants of Brad Wright is a douche nozzle of the highest order. Bitch be trying to act all impartial and unbiased and shit like we ain't gonna notice, yeah right.

Wurd, my good man! :rotflmao:

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Everything in the article was said in truth so I don't see a problem with .sga fans attacked bus and his mom,

No, no they didn't. If you perceive reciprocal self-defence as attack, then you have a very worryingly scewed world view mate. Although I may not agree with the "BJS & His Mom" thread here, I am aware of the reasons for it's existence & the timeline of events which lead to the thread being created. I defer to the archives of Overmind One as he is very knowledgeable about the matter & the timeline as he also has links to/screenshots of the source material (all date & time stamped I would imagine) although I'm sure you aren't even the slightest bit interested in such things as the truth as that would no doubt conflict with your preset bias towards "angry Atlantis fans" - that is Brad Wright's mantra, immitation may well be the highest form of flattery but change the record.

sga fans namely most of this site went apeshit on tptb,

Contrary to popular troll belief, this site is populated by STARGATE fans & they are a mix of people who prefer SG-1 to SGA & vica versa so stop trying to lay the blame for BW & JM being douchebags squarely on fans of Atlantis - they've never done anything to you.

I would refer you to a link of links to threads which outline the actions & comments of TPTB but I don't know them off the top of my head. Once again I defer to the archiving skills of Overmind One. Care to oblige Overmind? :D

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I cant seem to access this article or any others on the blog, anyone have any screen caps or alternate links?

Id love to see the comments on this article, because people reading it should have all the info including Sherrys blog post and Brians total lack of thought before mouth action!

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Everything in the article was said in truth so I don't see a problem with .sga fans attacked bus and his mom, sga fans namely most of this site went apeshit on tptb,

No, fans replied to sherrys stupid ignorant rant. which the author failed to point out, neither did she point out how rude BJS can be unless you condone him calling non fans of sgu retards (a screen cap of which is in his thread)

The author also fails to point out the comments on the article at GW was about the acting and character something which all actors are subject to so they are going to encounter critique wether they like it or not.

In fact this piece is pretty much an example of how sgu fans ignore the faults of the producers, actors and there parents.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
THOSE were the flashpoints for sure.

I am not Overmind, but these articles and comments started the mocking of BJS and his mother.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/02/smith-on-sgu-this-is-a-transition-for-everybody/?cp=9
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show-patrol/2010/02/brian-j-smith-its-sgu-not-sex.html

A lot of people didn't praise BJS after that interview. Just read the comments under the articles. For some strange reasons BJS's mother got involved and posted a nasty comment on her blog. Read the "Entitlement" blog entry.

http://malibunextyear.blogspot.com/

That was the start. SG1/SGA fans reacted and insulted them back. BJS and his mother didn't stop of course with their insults after that debacle. So they gave SG1/SGA fans even more reasons for mocking them.

Yep, those were the flashpoints which caused the thread IMO. For most of the first season, Brian's mom was involving herself in the show by doing podcasts on Gateworld, and I understand she plopped her butt in a seat on a panel at one of the conventions as a "special guest". She has attacked us here through Hinman as well.

Speaking of Hinman, his site is offline and is allegedly "moving to a new host". :)

View attachment 2443

fumblesmcstupid

GateFans Noob
I thought he was a producer or a writer or something.

See, I Told ya I don't watch SGU.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
WHR takes offense at SGUs

http://wormholeriders.com/blog/?p=21688

" ...also became very sad for another reason; a group of people running a web site called “SGU Sucks Dot Com” threw a virtual party proclaiming that their 15 month campaign had “paid off”. And no I am NOT going to hyper link that foul place!
Many of these malcontents also tweeted about it and posted on several web sites. Over recent history, this despicable group of people has attacked the actors, the creators, the families and even the news sites which supported and reported on Stargate Universe (including WHR). Each time with foul mouthed glee since their misbegotten effort began in 2009. They also attacked the Stargate fans grabbing tweets and posting them for their hate filled campaign not realizing that they could be part of the end of the franchise for the foreseeable future as we have reported previously. I was sickened by what I read yesterday from these misguided and often hate filled individuals."

Tropicana

Council Member

" ...also became very sad for another reason; a group of people running a web site called “SGU Sucks Dot Com” threw a virtual party proclaiming that their 15 month campaign had “paid off”. And no I am NOT going to hyper link that foul place!
Many of these malcontents also tweeted about it and posted on several web sites. Over recent history, this despicable group of people has attacked the actors, the creators, the families and even the news sites which supported and reported on Stargate Universe (including WHR). Each time with foul mouthed glee since their misbegotten effort began in 2009. They also attacked the Stargate fans grabbing tweets and posting them for their hate filled campaign not realizing that they could be part of the end of the franchise for the foreseeable future as we have reported previously. I was sickened by what I read yesterday from these misguided and often hate filled individuals."

Oh noes! RL is such a bad awful awful place.

End of Stargate franchise, the world will explode. Oh wait, the world is still here. Maybe the folks at WHR should spend less time in fantasy land and more time working, they can help get their countries out of economic recession.

JaffaKree!

GateFans Member
Umm... they DO realize that the mighty "campaign" was just us sitting on our asses pointing and laughing?

That post was just one exaggeration after another. And the choice of words: foul, despicable, attack, hate, sickened. Those are some strong words, and completely emotional without any coolness of thought behind them. I can practically see the mascara stains.

They take this thing so out of proportions it's scary.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Really? Hahahaha

Malcontents? Despicable? LOL! Those words should have been directed at Joseph Mallozzi, Brad Wright and Rob Cooper. THEY are the ones who derailed the franchise and insisted on making the huge mistake that was Stargate Universe. THEY are the ones who attacked Stargate fans by shoving a soap opera in our faces and telling us basically to like it or dont watch. Well, most people took that advice because they didnt like it. Such arrogance and shortsightedness killed the franchise. Not this site, and not the fans.

As far as our "misbegotten effort", the definition of the term better describes Stargate Universe than this website:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misbegotten

1: unlawfully conceived : illegitimate <a misbegotten [COLOR=darkgreen ! important]child[/COLOR]>

2 a : having a disreputable or improper origin : ill-conceived <antiquated and misbegotten [COLOR=darkgreen ! important]tax laws[/COLOR] — R. M. Blough> b : contemptible, deformed <a misbegotten scoundrel>

As far as attacking Stargate fans...um, we ARE Stargate fans. We love Stargate so much we would rather see it wait to be reborn anew rather than to see it carried forward as a soap opera having nothing to do with its original inspiration. These SGU fans are as arrogant and shortsighted and selfish as the producers became in the end. And the vast majority of SGU fans are not fans of real Stargate, and they attacked us first, at the biggest Stargate fansite (Gateworld).

How are we misguided? Our domain name said it all. Our discussions and overall activity centered around how bad Stargate Universe sucked, and we watched it suck for its entire lifespan. We will continue to watch it suck in the last episodes.

This gave me an eyeroll:

Is Stargate Universe season three announced as a series canceled by SyFy? Yes. Does this mean that the Stargate franchise is finished for the foreseeable future? Maybe. A lot depends on you the fans of Stargate. What can you, the fans, possibly do in a positive way to perhaps save the show?

I would suggest that we all take a lesson from Chuck fans. Buy the Stargate Universe DVD’s and Blu-ray disks from MGM and give them as Christmas or other gifts. Download the episodes from legal sources such as iTunes. Perhaps most critically, when Stargate Universe returns in April get everyone you know to watch the ten (10) un-aired episodes of the series LIVE (NOT DVR).
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, do not send threats or foul language tweets or e-mails to SyFy. That will do no good. Instead demonstrate that you support the Stargate franchise and maybe, just maybe, the series will be picked up.

A bonus for all of the Stargate fans in being professional? You may just succeed and we could possibly get those two Stargate movies that all would like to see!

Such pathetic drivel! WE better represent the majority of Stargate fans than SGU squeedrones do.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
This is in the comments section of last night's Joe Mallozzi blog, from someone at Wormhole:
    1. Dear Mr. Mallozzi,
    2. Our team sends you a get well soon hug.
    3. Yes things do take time, particularly of this magnitude. And speaking of magnitude, I noticed you have recently read “Stranger in a Strange Land”. Excellent book! Do you ever feel that you are living that novel these days?
    4. Dare I use the “M” word (for the “mel” types in the world)? And while on the subject of “M” words, we have a number of these “m”arvelous individuals attacking our staff over planned support efforts by the fans of Stargate Universe that we will be reporting on in the near future.
    5. We ignore them and block them on Twitter and Facebook, not to mention the foul comments at our news site that never see the light of day. We do however have a nice list of about 10,000 IP addresses tied to these trouble makers, some of whom have been turned over to law enforcement (its against the law in the USA and in treaties with other countries to send hate mail). Such misguided people are often put on watch lists.
    6. On a more positive note, WHR has been looking at some very interesting numbers and find that the problem of ratings for Stargate Universe seems to have been primarily a USA centric phenomena. Here is what we know:
    7. SGU Viewership in Canada hovered at about 1.1 million for a country of ~33 million. Grade = excellent!
    8. SGU Viewership in the United Kingdom was about 1.3 million average in a country of ~51 million. Grade = very good!
    9. SGU Viewership in Australia was about 800,000 to 900,00 in a country of ~21 million. Grade = excellent!
    10. We would call these healthy numbers by percentage when measured against total population. Now the (sad) rub.
    11. SGU Viewership in the United States was only 1.1 to 1.2 million in a country of ~330 million. Grade = sad.
    12. There is a more.
    13. In 2010 WHR covered some 50 conventions world-wide, many Stargate related. With the exception of large Comic-Con type events where the attendance for SGU panels was excellent, the malcontents would deliberately boycott the panels of the SGU actors and actresses thinking they would send a “message” to TPTB. As if insulting the actors and actresses by a boycott is appropriate behavior, let alone an effective means of communication.
    14. Well here is a message for the malcontents about what you have accomplished:
    15. If all the fine people who made Stargate for 17 years (numbering some ~500 actors, actresses, crews, writers, costumers, makeup, set constructors, contractors, support staff and creators) lose their jobs, who in the heck is going to be around to make the movies you say you wanted so much to “support” the Stargate franchise?
    16. Potentially no one that’s who.
    17. The “plan” they had to belittle SGU in order to get to SGA and SG-1 movies was flawed from the get go. Without the infrastructure and people to make Stargate, there may now (sadly) be no SGA or SG-1 movies.
    18. In closing for now, WHR will have more in our “As The Wormhole Turns” editorial series supporting Stargate Universe. Dating back some 40 years the effects of such fan behavior do not work, nor have they ever worked.
    19. In the meantime, get well Mr. Mallozzi. Our very best wishes in creating a new consortium to continue the greatness that is Stargate Universe. Thank you.
    20. Sincerely,
    21. Kenn – Managing Editor
    22. WormholeRiders News Agency
Huh, not sure why all those numbers showed up when I copied and pasted the comment?