Why some people are incapable of Rational Thought, regardless of IQ

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh, and if you play by the normal rules A and B are exactly the same thing :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you know the rules of Russian roulette, B is logical because you cannot play Russian roulette with more than one round.
A is patently stupid.
C is a 50/50 chance
D is an exercise in arrogance because you will never know all pertinent facts in the real world.

B

No decision making process involving a firearm pointed at ones own skull is rational.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Oh, and if you play by the normal rules A and B are exactly the same thing :D
No, they are not.
A is a perfectly acceptable way to play Russian roulette.
B is against the rules of Russian roulette, therefore you cannot play the game.

They are not the same at all.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Reread B - it just says you have a revolver and six rounds. It never says a word about how many are in the revolver......:D

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Reread B - it just says you have a revolver and six rounds. It never says a word about how many are in the revolver......:D
Just admit it dude, you didn't think your example through all that well :D

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
In all likelihood. Of course if the decision to be made is truly a 50/50 proposition than C could be rational too.

A and B, not so much I think. Although between them, A is more rational than B unless you are deliberately trying to shoot yourself in the head....in that case B :)

I kind of like the revolver and 6 rounds, the extra round in case the decision-maker misses with the first 5.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
No decision making process involving a firearm pointed at ones own skull is rational.

I beg to differ. A decision may entail whether to continue polluting the human gene pool with one's own filthy DNA or eliminate that possibility altogether.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I beg to differ. A decision may entail whether to continue polluting the human gene pool with one's own filthy DNA or eliminate that possibility altogether.

:shep_lol::icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::happy0007:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Drat! Shaved picked up on why I said "revolver" instead of "six shooter"....

In both cases, the firearms would have every chamber filled by a bullet which guarantees 100% death, no? I gotta wonder how Russian Roulette EVER became a "game".

http://www.brightreview.co.uk/ARTICLE-The-Man-Who-Invented-Russian-Roulette.html

No form of this "game" is rational. :). And since we are talking about this, many publicly seen acts of "high risk behaviors" are completely, utterly irrational but nobody seemed to realize it. The croc hunter Steve Irwin (to me) was completely irrational. His irrational acts finally killed him. Same with people who die in "skydiving accidents", or miss a mark whilst diving off cliffs, or fall off of a 1000ft rock face whilst mountain climbing, or being killed while performing stunts. All really irrational acts.