Who is the best Star Trek captain? - a heated debate.

Who is the best Trek Captain?

• Total voters

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sisko was terrible.
Okay he did get better in the later seasons but his overacting in the first seasons was dramatic.
It's not a good thing when you're watching an episode and you're thinking about the way he talks instead of what he's saying and what's going on.
Archer was alright. I didn't find him annoying at all. I guess it's just because many trekfans found Enterprise lame that they didn't like Archer.

Exactly. Avery Brooks was overacting all the time, and it took me completely out of the plot. In a way he seemed to be portarying a parody of a Starfleet captain.

S

Stonelesscutter

Exactly. Avery Brooks was overacting all the time, and it took me completely out of the plot. In a way he seemed to be portarying a parody of a Starfleet captain.

Hmmm perhaps you could see it that way. I always thought it was just poor acting.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Moreso than William Shatner as Kirk? I dont think so! DS9 has several very strong characters who carried the rest of the show. Arguably, Kira Narise is the strongest, most clearly defined character in DS9, and Quark and Rom and Dax were also well developed. I thought that Odo was underdone, and that the character needed more depth, like in the last season. I thought Gul Ducat got too much airtime, as did Kai Wynn. Brooks was a good ST Captain, despite the fact that he didnt start out as a Captain (the first to be promoted in the series to Captain from Commander). He also was the only Captain in charge of a station rather than a ship (which he got later). Watching Archer or Kirk makes Brooks shine.

S

Stonelesscutter

Moreso than William Shatner as Kirk? I dont think so! DS9 has several very strong characters who carried the rest of the show. Arguably, Kira Narise is the strongest, most clearly defined character in DS9, and Quark and Rom and Dax were also well developed. I thought that Odo was underdone, and that the character needed more depth, like in the last season. I thought Gul Ducat got too much airtime, as did Kai Wynn. Brooks was a good ST Captain, despite the fact that he didnt start out as a Captain (the first to be promoted in the series to Captain from Commander). He also was the only Captain in charge of a station rather than a ship (which he got later). Watching Archer or Kirk makes Brooks shine.

I wouldn't have expected the diss on Kirk from a TOS fan.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The only "problem" with Avery Brooks is that he never really seemed to transition from stage to screen. Stage requires what amounts to overacting to get your point across, Screen however captures minor details and exaggerates them greatly. Patrick Stewart fell victim to this in S1 of TNG, and then wisely dialed it back. Avery never seemed to trig to it (it did however make for some excellent scenes with him).

I dunno, I do like all the ST captains, but I have to admit to a love for Janeway because I loved the Voyager concept and the progression of the characters (for the most part).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wouldn't have expected the diss on Kirk from a TOS fan.

TOS gets a pass on lots of bad writing and bad acting because it was NEW for TV and new for the genre. But to look purely at the performances, Shatner's Kirk was so overacted as to be comical at times. I thought that Uhura was also overacted most of the time. :) As far as ST Captain go, I wouldnt put Brooks at the bottom.

And like GF76 said, I also have a soft spot for Janeway. I thought she was the most balanced of all ST Captains, and I loved the premise as well as the execution of Voyager. Mulgrew NEVER overacted Janeway.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
TOS gets a pass on lots of bad writing and bad acting because it was NEW for TV and new for the genre. But to look purely at the performances, Shatner's Kirk was so overacted as to be comical at times. I thought that Uhura was also overacted most of the time. :) As far as ST Captain go, I wouldnt put Brooks at the bottom.

And like GF76 said, I also have a soft spot for Janeway. I thought she was the most balanced of all ST Captains, and I loved the premise as well as the execution of Voyager. Mulgrew NEVER overacted Janeway.
Kirk over-acting? Whaaaa? LOL :laughing:

[video=youtube;0uz-BGbxptY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uz-BGbxptY

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Kirk over-acting? Whaaaa? LOL :laughing:

[video=youtube;0uz-BGbxptY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uz-BGbxptY

:rotflmao::laughing::rotflmao::laughing::rotflmao::laughing::rotflmao::laughing:

Ive...got.....command.

LMAO!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I still squee for Kirk!

I agree that TOS gets a pass because it was new at the time....but hell i still prefer kirk. Can't stand Picard- he's at the bottom of my list!

1. Kirk
2. Sisko (I loooove avery brooks and I love benjamin sisko!:P)
3. Janeway (kate mulgrew is da bomb!)
4 Archer-he was okay.

'
5. Picard- he's a bureaucrat not a leader! :P

G

Graybrew1

I think both Picard and Janeway brought a certain type of class to the chair as well. They both came off as very well read and brought up with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Tropicana

Council Member
LOL

That is why I prefer Janeway, she gives diplomacy a go, but she knows when diplomacy fails, she need a plan B - action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjmKOB22h0o

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
LOL

That is why I prefer Janeway, she gives diplomacy a go, but she knows when diplomacy fails, she need a plan B - action.
Janeway's definitely more the scientist than the diplomat. I always liked how she got a sparkle in her eye when seeing new phenomena to explore. But she was also totally "kick their ass" and "their mistake" when pure action and photon torpedos needed to happen. :)

G

Graybrew1

Exactly my thoughts! :beckettu:

Picard was a bureaucrat. That's why I think he was "weak".

:facepalm: I never thought of him as weak. He had the strongest MIND of any of them. That is the ultimate tool needed to defeat your enemies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I haven't watched much of DS9 but I liked Sisko, more so than Picard, I never could get hooked in TNG anyway, okay I didn't see the best out of it but still.

G

Graybrew1

Alas, it looks like I am in the minority again. :icon_cry: But I love Picard and must stick to my guns. :shepsalute:

Different strokes for different folks. :biggrin:

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
I kinda liked Sisko, but they put that huge albatross of being the "Emissary" around his neck. It could've been fine, and used in a much better way, but they (particularly that hack Ron Moore) morphed the Emissary into "half-god-alien" and savior. Ugh. Really awful. Quite a lot of Avery Brooks' overacting comes from silly Emissary moments. When he was doing Starfleet stuff, he was pretty good.

He did have that unusual "breathing out of sync" thing that sometimes happened when he was supposed to be emotional. And that was very distracting to watch.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
:facepalm: I never thought of him as weak. He had the strongest MIND of any of them. That is the ultimate tool needed to defeat your enemies.
Not when you dither around too much and send in your "number one" instead of acting.