What has happened?

Ebeneezer

GateFans Noob
Don't even get me started on theKeller Hate campaigns...those were some seriously sick people...and many of those involved are among the sgu squeedropnes on GW. I was Pro-Keller and was disgusted by the attitudes of Lahela, Arica15, etc... Those broads are seriously mentally ill. :(

Can you honestly say you haven't seen some similar type of sentiments here, but expressed toward SGU and it's actors/characters? I was pro-Keller too, by the way.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Keller-haters

Can you honestly say you haven't seen some similar type of sentiments here, but expressed toward SGU and it's actors/characters? I was pro-Keller too, by the way.

yes I can...I have never seen posts HERE wishing someone was gang-raped, had acid thrown at their faces, death threats, etc...the Keller fans were so sick it was disgusting. Yes we call BJS a pansy ass and say he needs to be weaned, we call the character of chloe a "ho", and wish (in vain) for Rush to have a bath..... but I have yet to see anyone suggest the bad guys (In this case LA) gang rape Chloe/Elyse and then airlock her. I saw that a number of times on GW from some very sick souls!

SerenityS

GateFans Member
I wouldn't have minded Keller, if she had stayed in the background, but she was probably
the worst written, pitiful character ever introduced on SGA. And that includes Lucius, because he was gone after two episodes.

Repli!Keller - now that was a good character!

So, yes I am a proud Keller Hater and will not deny that she almost single-handedly ruined the last season of my favorite show. I learned to fast forward the parts where she showed up and can enjoy many of the eps again.

Who knew that TPTB were going to create an entire ship full of people even worse than Keller!

I am not the only one who felt this way and I am happy to be able to express it here.

But I was also disgusted with the more violent posts on GW about ways to hurt the character. Wishing the character to disappear is not a bad thing, but a few of those posters were pretty sick.

Ebeneezer

GateFans Noob
I've seen comments here talking about Brian paying for his mothers drug addiction, and people calling her a whore etc. Not quite as extreme, but I would suggest that many SGU fans have a similar feeling about comments here, as you do about those anti-Keller clowns. The simple dislike of a show or a character or an actor really shouldn't be stirring either of those type of responses.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
No they don't, that's the problem. The writers get paid to make an entertaining show, not to pander to one section of fandom in particular. They have zero obligation to write something that you specifically, or any particular group of fans want to see.

Yes, they get paid to make an entertaining show. When they fail, the show gets moved to Tuesdays to die against the big hitters ;)

This I think it the fundamental problem with these 'campaigns', the unjustified sense of entitlement that they bring. Just because the writers might make something that you don't like, that doesn't mean they've done something 'wrong'.

Yawn. Entitlement is a real buzzword these days for the pro-SGU camp. I have said this over and over, but for your benefit in case you really are here for the first time, I will say it again: I can't speak for everyone, but I personal don't feel any sense of "entitlement." Under normal circumstances, I would have given SGU a chance, not liked it, shrugged, and said: "Oh well, too bad, I don't like the new direction they took," then changed the channel. I only started hoping the show would fail after Joe Mallozzi's loooooooooooooongHaul rant, in which he insulted all the fans of SG-1 and SGA who through their support made him filthy rich. Now, TPTB don't have an obligation to write "to me" or to cater to my whims, but you bet your ass they have the obligation to conduct themselves in a professional manner and to refrain from insulting fans of their past or current work. In my opinion, TPTB are at fault not because of their choice to try something different, but because of their despicable behavior and conduct towards franchise fans. They made their bed (of shit) and now they have to lie in it.

As to the ranking pro-SGU reviews on IMDB as not helpful, that's hardly a "hate campaign", lol, but you are entitled to your interpretation of what those words mean. As someone who ranked many pro-SGU reviews as unhelpful, I truly felt that all the reviews I chose to rank unhelpful were, well, unhelpful. Reviews that bash people who write negative reviews, and that don't actually give any analysis of the show except for repeating the key buzzwords "dark, gritty, realistic" in the exact same manner as the ad copy for SGU, are not what I consider to be helpful reviews.

Ebeneezer

GateFans Noob
As a longtime SG-1 and Atlantis fan, I've never felt insulted by Mallozzi. He might sometimes use language that seemingly generalises all Atlantis or SG-1 fans, but I think when he rants, it's obvious the type of people he's aiming his comments at.

UxmalTrekker

K'inich Yax K'uk'Mo'
I've seen comments here talking about Brian paying for his mothers drug addiction, and people calling her a whore etc. Not quite as extreme, but I would suggest that many SGU fans have a similar feeling about comments here, as you do about those anti-Keller clowns. The simple dislike of a show or a character or an actor really shouldn't be stirring either of those type of responses.

There are some over-the-top comments here just as there are on every forum. There are numerous comments hating on McKay and wanting to see him tortured or killed on the SGU boards of Gateworld. There are also people on the SGU boards that have voiced looking upon torture favorably. Should I hold everybody on Gateworld accountable for those comments and judge them accordingly. Should I do that with you?

Recently we had a new member here, Betty_Buttsecks (yeah, I know, nice name), that wrote some very hateful things about Sherry, Brian’s mother. Many of us stepped forward and addressed this issue in a very positive manner. Perhaps before generalizing and judging the whole for the actions of a very minute percentage, people should get all of their facts straight first. The posts in question appear in the Trenches inside the A Boy and His Mother… folder. Let me know if you have any trouble locating it.

Regards,
Dave

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
As a longtime SG-1 and Atlantis fan, I've never felt insulted by Mallozzi. He might sometimes use language that seemingly generalises all Atlantis or SG-1 fans, but I think when he rants, it's obvious the type of people he's aiming his comments at.

You mean "anti SGU people?"

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
yes I can...I have never seen posts HERE wishing someone was gang-raped, had acid thrown at their faces, death threats, etc...the Keller fans were so sick it was disgusting. Yes we call BJS a pansy ass and say he needs to be weaned, we call the character of chloe a "ho", and wish (in vain) for Rush to have a bath..... but I have yet to see anyone suggest the bad guys (In this case LA) gang rape Chloe/Elyse and then airlock her. I saw that a number of times on GW from some very sick souls!

See, I told you guys she's getting old, ever her posts are purple :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Lilith

GateFans Noob
I was.

I don't feel entitled but my time and money is how I express my vote. If anyone has a sense of entitlement it is Mazzolli. There no guarantees in life. I like Jewel Strait wasn't to interested in the whole Mckeller thing but okay. Wasn't thrilled that SGA was cancelled but okay. Attempted to watch SGU- not okay. My time and my money won't be going there.

Joined the forum because I found people of a like mind. The shock valve won't work with us. No matter how many times we see SGU it's still bad. TPTB are foolish to think they can insult a large fraction of the viewing audience and expect their show to be successful. It's bad PR and marketing, that's what it will come down to. Then the long awaited cancelation. SGU GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ebeneezer

GateFans Noob
There are some over-the-top comments here just as there are on every forum. There are numerous comments hating on McKay and wanting to see him tortured or killed on the SGU boards of Gateworld. There are also people on the SGU boards that have voiced looking upon torture favorably. Should I hold everybody on Gateworld accountable for those comments and judge them accordingly. Should I do that with you?

I never said it was justified. I was just explaining why many fans feel the way they do about this place.

You mean "anti SGU people?"

Yes, but I don't think that being anti-SGU is the same as simply disliking the show.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yes, but I don't think that being anti-SGU is the same as simply disliking the show.
Your right, it's not. People who don't watch stargate will simply dislike the show, People who like stargate could either enjoy or ignore it. People who loved stargate will either love SGU or hate it and post shitloads of comments on forums that in the grand scheme of life mean dick all because they can, unless of course, they can't.

UxmalTrekker

K'inich Yax K'uk'Mo'
I never said it was justified. I was just explaining why many fans feel the way they do about this place.

But with your approach here it seems like you are saying that it’s justified to judge us accordingly. And it seems like that is what you are doing/have been doing? Comments like this “We get you don't like the show, it's OK to not like the show, but the hate campaigns frankly, are pathetic.saying ‘we’ and mentioning non-existent hate campaigns and saying we are pathetic certainly make it look like that is your opinion. If that is not the case, I do apologize, but statements like that make it difficult to think otherwise. I’m sure if the tables were turned you would feel the same.

Regards,
Dave

Ebeneezer

GateFans Noob
But with your approach here it seems like you are saying that it’s justified to judge us accordingly. And it seems like that is what you are doing/have been doing? Comments like this “We get you don't like the show, it's OK to not like the show, but the hate campaigns frankly, are pathetic.saying ‘we’ and mentioning non-existent hate campaigns and saying we are pathetic certainly make it look like that is your opinion. If that is not the case, I do apologize, but statements like that make it difficult to think otherwise. I’m sure if the tables were turned you would feel the same.

Regards,
Dave

I've seen posters organising themselves to go on IMDb and artificially make the show look like it's had a worse reception than it has by voting up all of the negative reviews, and voting down all of the positive ones. I'd call that a hate campaign. Someone wasting their time doing that, in my opinion, is slightly pathetic.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I've seen posters organising themselves to go on IMDb and artificially make the show look like it's had a worse reception than it has by voting up all of the negative reviews, and voting down all of the positive ones. I'd call that a hate campaign. Someone wasting their time doing that, in my opinion, is slightly pathetic.

Yes, Yes they have. What exactly was thier motivation for doing so.......
Oh, thats right a group of percieved shills organizing themselves to go on IMDB and artificially make a show look good by voting up all the positive comments and voting down the negative ones. I call that a bullshit campaign. Someone wasting thier time doing that, in my opinion, is paid to do it.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Hehehehe, Eb you are making me laugh!

Yes, Yes they have. What exactly was thier motivation for doing so.......
Oh, thats right a group of percieved shills organizing themselves to go on IMDB and artificially make a show look good by voting up all the positive comments and voting down the negative ones. I call that a bullshit campaign. Someone wasting thier time doing that, in my opinion, is paid to do it.

Great points, Gatefan!

Eb, you are really making me laugh now. Your evidence of our maniacal "hate campaign" is our Hype Machine thread, that was started only 4 weeks ago in response to a flurry of sudden over-the-top pro-SGU reviews after a period of relative "review silence" - a thread that only has posts from about 18 of our members? :laughing:

I already addressed this issue above (but you chose to ignore my comment, which is fine) - but for the record I will say again that I stand by my opinion of ranking reviews I actually feel are unhelpful as unhelpful. That is why the option exists, to vote down reviews on IMDB. I am sure that SGU fans have voted down negative reviews they felt were unhelpful. So, I don't see why you have such a problem with us expressing our own opinions by writing honest reviews and by using the vote up or down features provided by IMDB, the very features that any IMDB user, pro or anti-SGU, can use. What is it to you, anyway? SGU will succeed or fail based on its own merits, or lack thereof. Most viewers don't make the decision to watch a show based on IMDB reviews...just sayin'.

And on a personal note, I don't care if you think we are pathetic, but since I'm feeling a little feisty today, I will say that I think someone who comes to a site to call other people pathetic, is much more than slightly pathetic :D

UxmalTrekker

K'inich Yax K'uk'Mo'

I don’t agree with it and haven’t participated in it and neither have many others. And since it’s something that can be questioned, judge those individuals accordingly. But judge everybody else according to what they do. (And if this incident is truly hateful in your eyes [rather than a little foolishly misguided], then what are making up the existence of death threats, writing accusatory articles without facts to back up the accusations and lying about incidents at conventions considered? I’ll give you hint – those things don’t fall into the realm of Emily Post.)

But let’s go back to judging people on their own actions. I noticed that you have made no mention of how many of us addressed the Betty_Buttsecks post after I pointed that out to you. Shouldn’t you be commending those of us that addressed that issue? Shouldn’t that incident shine a favorable light upon the members who took it upon themselves to address it? Shouldn’t that provide some points in favor of the overall psychology and personality of the forum? Or are you only interested in what you can find that is negative or can be perceived to be negative? From your response here, and from your avoidance of the Betty_Buttsecks issue and shrugging off of the post that I provided from Syfy, it would seem that you are adamant in clinging to your preconceptions. That is not an attitude that fosters either learning or understanding.

Regards,
Dave

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Preconceptions

I don’t agree with it and haven’t participated in it and neither have many others. And since it’s something that can be questioned, judge those individuals accordingly. But judge everybody else according to what they do. (And if this incident is truly hateful in your eyes [rather than a little foolishly misguided], then what are making up the existence of death threats, writing accusatory articles without facts to back up the accusations and lying about incidents at conventions considered? I’ll give you hint – those things don’t fall into the realm of Emily Post.)

But let’s go back to judging people on their own actions. I noticed that you have made no mention of how many of us addressed the Betty_Buttsecks post after I pointed that out to you. Shouldn’t you be commending those of us that addressed that issue? Shouldn’t that incident shine a favorable light upon the members who took it upon themselves to address it? Shouldn’t that provide some points in favor of the overall psychology and personality of the forum? Or are you only interested in what you can find that is negative or can be perceived to be negative? From your response here, and from your avoidance of the Betty_Buttsecks issue and shrugging off of the post that I provided from Syfy, it would seem that you are adamant in clinging to your preconceptions. That is not an attitude that fosters either learning or understanding.

Regards,
Dave
ITA. It seems like this guy came here with preconceptions and wanting to argue with us on the base of those. These are notions he probably picked up from badmouthing over at GW or Syfy. He hasn't been open to the possibility that those preconceptions were all wrong and that he could in fact engage in meaningful dialog. That is probably what's frustrating for him (and for us!).

Eb, perhaps you are discovering that this is a board composed of many members with all kinds of differing opinions on SGU, TPTB, GW and just about anything else. We do not organize campaigns in lockstep, we do not attack people without provocation and we certainly don't tolerate hate against anyone (read our policies and the thread Ux mentioned). Once you realize this and stop trying to get answers to things you think go on here but don't, you will probably enjoy your visit here a lot more :)

UxmalTrekker

K'inich Yax K'uk'Mo'
ITA. It seems like this guy came here with preconceptions and wanting to argue with us on the base of those. These are notions he probably picked up from badmouthing over at GW or Syfy. He hasn't been open to the possibility that those preconceptions were all wrong and that he could in fact engage in meaningful dialog. That is probably what's frustrating for him (and for us!).

Eb, perhaps you are discovering that this is a board composed of many members with all kinds of differing opinions on SGU, TPTB, GW and just about anything else. We do not organize campaigns in lockstep, we do not attack people without provocation and we certainly don't tolerate hate against anyone (read our policies and the thread Ux mentioned). Once you realize this and stop trying to get answers to things you think go on here but don't, you will probably enjoy your visit here a lot more :)

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been thinking. I keep trying to open up avenues for him to explore so that he can get a real idea of the diversity here (making it just like every other forum in existence), but he puts up resistance to any actual learning of facts that run contrary to his preconceptions. The fact that he keeps avoiding the most pertinent questions also tells me that he operates only on preconception and is not open to anything else.

Who knows, maybe I’m wrong? Maybe he’ll surprise me and check the facts for himself? That would be a very pleasant change of pace from the norm.

Regards,
Dave