Welcome to the Reviews section!

• Thread starter Robbie_Rocket_Pants
  • Start date

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It didnt kill them before.

And isn't that a change from the original series? I remember lots of V's getting their skin torn or scratched away. I can't remember if the entire skinning killed them or not.

The Supreme Commander got his face ripped open by Julie Parrish on live TV and he didnt die. Same with Willy, they tore his skin several times and he did not die. It is presumed that the Vs simply "repaired" the skin before. I dont recall them referring to "skinning" in the original, as evidently tearing the skin had no real serious effects, and they may not have even been able to feel it.

Also, the original Vs could spray venom from their mouths, and these Vs evidently cannot. But they have huge teeth!

I like the fact that in this V they can die if they wear the skin, and that they feel pain and emotions within it. I also like the fact that ONLY the females have tails (reference from Ryan that "females have tails they can whip out").

One burning question: WHAT IS THE BLISS!!!!!!

I do like the tail for venom tradeoff. It was pretty vicious when Anna whipped her's out and chopped one of her captain's to pieces. So I like the movement there. But I was confused by Bliss the first time it happened and I'm still not liking it. How do V's walking in the street around humans, receive her Bliss without anyone knowing that they're getting a high of some sort?

I do wish they would finally address it. But with the next two weeks off, I believe, time is dwindling down on the question and answer portion of the show. I rather like this show have fewer episodes to get to the point. A half season is perfect, but only when you know it's definitely coming back the following year...

I'm guessing with these V's the skin is connected to their body to keep it alive and nourished as well as give sensations of the surrounding area. Maybe there is nerve tissue/blood vessels etc. connected from the V's to the skin and "skinning them" is extremely painful up to death.

Something along the line of how birds develop in eggs. Almost right up till hatch chicks have blood vessels along the inner membrane/skin of an egg. As the chick prepares to hatch the blood vessels start drying up and the blood goes up into the chick. If one tries to assist a baby bird hatching due to a problem you risk severing the blood vessels along the membrane (if you assist too early) and they bleed to death and are in severe pain.

Very cool! See all my web-surfing during office hours pays off! I didn't know that little tidbit of information. And it really does tie in with this theory. Thanks for that!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I REALLY hope that V either gets renewed again or if not then SyFy does the smart thing and picks it up. It is a good show. In fact, in many ways it is far better thought out than the original (and certainly more than SGU was). Things like the "skin" where in the original series you had to wonder why they wore them when not in view of humans - well in this show we have been given a plausible reason.

I'm looking forward to the explanation of the bliss - my guess based on what we have seen thus far is that it is a special telepathic link the queen shares with her children (and apparently most if not all of the Visitors we have seen are Anna's children). Or it may be a physiological property given to whoever the current queen is.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really slick episode the last Tuesday!

It is going to turn out that Erica screwed up royally - they should NOT have taken the shot when Anna pulled back and Marcus was there. She managed to make it clear to Anna that she is Fifth Column and also to the FBI. Plus the plan has likely caused Father Jack to be defrocked. Look for Erica and Jack to be forced underground soon, which means the Fifth Column loses two key sources of information.

Meanwhile, Anna actually showed some surprising things. For one, loyalty. She was honestly concerned about Marcus and angry about his being shot. She even showed some sympathy towards Ryan (who may wind up getting killed soon). Makes me think her human skin is affecting her more than she lets on.

All in all well done.

I think we all knew were the melodramatic ending was heading to a mile away, but...

...at least's next week's episode shows some promise. Anna licking the blood was kinda sexy. Just saying...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually another strong installment.

They were able to repair Erica's cover, but the price that had to be paid was horrible. Anna won this round pretty handily. Also it was quite interesting to see Anna speaking to the unconscious Marcus. She was actually moved that he took a bullet for her, and got a little Khan-like in promising him that it would be avenged. Basically she is showing exactly what Diana predicted - more and more she is being ruled by emotions.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This was a GREAT episode...very powerful. Drama/science fiction done RIGHT.

Actually another strong installment.

They were able to repair Erica's cover, but the price that had to be paid was horrible. Anna won this round pretty handily. Also it was quite interesting to see Anna speaking to the unconscious Marcus. She was actually moved that he took a bullet for her, and got a little Khan-like in promising him that it would be avenged. Basically she is showing exactly what Diana predicted - more and more she is being ruled by emotions.

I love that Erica is now head of the 5th Column. This harkens back to the original series where Julie was the head of the 5th Column. But I dont like what they are doing with Hobbes...why is he a mole for the Vs now? Why is the mysterious woman he is protecting suddenly so important that he would kill everyone just to protect her? How did the Vs coerce him? Why doesnt he just tell the Column that Anna is manipulating him? I dont get it.

I also notice that Anna is now showing more emotion (especially anger and frustration). I love how Diana and Lisa have met finally. This installment was very powerful indeed. :) It had its heavy drama moments, but when done sparingly like they do in this series, its perfect IMO.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think Bliss is like a Pheromone. Talking about odd situations, I remember Feeding bottles to my daughter when she was a few months old. She needed Special formula (Enfamil) made at Ross Labs. Luckily, We had consultants working there, and they got me the formula at a greatly reduced rate (A can was around $50-60, and she'd go through 1 in a day) It wouldn't matter how wide awake i was, I would feel drowsy within a minute of starting to feed her, and really took an effort to keep my eyes open. As soon as she was done, and she was back in her crib, wham! i was wide awake. I have this phenomenon documented on video.

My experiences with my kids during feeds was quite the opposite, wide awake for feeding and gone seconds after :)

back on topic, wasn't bliss the drug in the original red dwarf book (infinity welcomes careful drivers) that the guy who rolled Lister was on? So addictive that you could get hooked just by looking at it?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am thinking the Bliss has to be a telepathic thing that a V Queen can share with her "children". Otherwise it makes no sense for undercover Vs on Earth to receive the Bliss when Anna shares it up on the mothership.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I love that Erica is now head of the 5th Column. This harkens back to the original series where Julie was the head of the 5th Column. But I dont like what they are doing with Hobbes...why is he a mole for the Vs now? Why is the mysterious woman he is protecting suddenly so important that he would kill everyone just to protect her? How did the Vs coerce him? Why doesnt he just tell the Column that Anna is manipulating him? I dont get it.

I also notice that Anna is now showing more emotion (especially anger and frustration). I love how Diana and Lisa have met finally. This installment was very powerful indeed. :) It had its heavy drama moments, but when done sparingly like they do in this series, its perfect IMO.

They set this up with Hobbes last season. Hobbes is basically a gun for hire and Marcus found a lever to use on him. Anna was able to "call in the marker" and get Hobbes to do the dirty deed here. And yes Hobbes needs to tell Erica the Vs have leverage on him - they might actually be able to turn it to their advantage.

The other thing we may see here is Erica as head of the resistance may go overboard. Right now her ex-husband was killed right when they had obviously decided to get back together. Plus her son walked out on her. And she knows who engineered the whole thing. Her speech at the end indicates she may be acting right now out of vengeance. And that plays into Anna's hands.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Erica and Hobbs Hookup

They set this up with Hobbes last season. Hobbes is basically a gun for hire and Marcus found a lever to use on him. Anna was able to "call in the marker" and get Hobbes to do the dirty deed here. And yes Hobbes needs to tell Erica the Vs have leverage on him - they might actually be able to turn it to their advantage.

The other thing we may see here is Erica as head of the resistance may go overboard. Right now her ex-husband was killed right when they had obviously decided to get back together. Plus her son walked out on her. And she knows who engineered the whole thing. Her speech at the end indicates she may be acting right now out of vengeance. And that plays into Anna's hands.

I was very dissapointed with tonight,s episode . Hobbs and Erica hooking up just made feel like I was watching a bad episode of sgpoo . Yuck . No idea why did this . At least Marcus is still alive and well so the whole episode was not lost .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I havent seen it yet!

I was very dissapointed with tonight,s episode . Hobbs and Erica hooking up just made feel like I was watching a bad episode of sgpoo . Yuck . No idea why did this . At least Marcus is still alive and well so the whole episode was not lost .

That was a spoiler!

Hobbs and Erica hooking up? :facepalm: I dont like it. He is wrong for her. It cheapens her and makes her like most bimbos who go for the "bad boy". What is she gonna do if she finds out that Hobbes killed Eli and also gave the Vs half of Parker's research last season? What was Parker's research? Who is the woman, and why would she be so important to Hobbes? Im glad Ryan is still alive, and I bet ANYTHING that they will grow the baby up to be Val's lookalike (using the same actress).

Kick out the soap writer! They need to move forward on the science aspect, nott ramp up the romance.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was not as bad as advertised, it took up a whole 40 seconds of the episode right at the end with Erica being really alone and friendless after causing 28 people to die. Hobbes showed friendship even still and they got carried away in the moment. Not great but not anything like SGU.

Much more of interest was Diana and Lisa helping Ryan escape the mothership, and also Marcus. They are building up to Diana trying a coup d'etat on her daughter (probbaly in the season finale).

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Erica and Hobbs

That was a spoiler!

Hobbs and Erica hooking up? :facepalm: I dont like it. He is wrong for her. It cheapens her and makes her like most bimbos who go for the "bad boy". What is she gonna do if she finds out that Hobbes killed Eli and also gave the Vs half of Parker's research last season? What was Parker's research? Who is the woman, and why would she be so important to Hobbes? Im glad Ryan is still alive, and I bet ANYTHING that they will grow the baby up to be Val's lookalike (using the same actress).

Kick out the soap writer! They need to move forward on the science aspect, nott ramp up the romance.

Oops . Sorry . I should have waited a bit longer to post . Darn show is going soapy on us . It was so rushed and sudden and made me puke . I almost turned the tube off . I was surprised that I even get ABC as I bought a digital converter and a cheap arial and I get a few HD channel's though but I only have a LCD tv .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
40 secs

It was not as bad as advertised, it took up a whole 40 seconds of the episode right at the end with Erica being really alone and friendless after causing 28 people to die. Hobbes showed friendship even still and they got carried away in the moment. Not great but not anything like SGU.

Much more of interest was Diana and Lisa helping Ryan escape the mothership, and also Marcus. They are building up to Diana trying a coup d'etat on her daughter (probbaly in the season finale).

That was 40 secs to long for me but like you say the episode had other saving moment's .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It wasnt done badly.

Oops . Sorry . I should have waited a bit longer to post . Darn show is going soapy on us . It was so rushed and sudden and made me puke . I almost turned the tube off . I was surprised that I even get ABC as I bought a digital converter and a cheap arial and I get a few HD channel's though but I only have a LCD tv .

After having seen it, I thought it was a HOT scene! Erica is all alone, she has lost her son and her husband, and she had just taken whisky shots with Hobbes. And SHE was the aggressor (very very hot to watch). I hope there isnt a lot of that, but I thought it was hot and done well. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
After having seen it, I thought it was a HOT scene! Erica is all alone, she has lost her son and her husband, and she had just taken whisky shots with Hobbes. And SHE was the aggressor (very very hot to watch). I hope there isnt a lot of that, but I thought it was hot and done well. :)

Kinda my point. This is FAR different than what we have objected to on SGU. Erica is truly alone and also responsible for 28 deaths. She doesn't even have Father Jack to lean on and indeed had just done shots with Hobbes.

I still think we are heading towards a season ending coup attempt by Diana. Also it was a nice surprise to see Marcus may be an ally.