Welcome to the Reviews section!

• Thread starter Robbie_Rocket_Pants
  • Start date
R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Hey everybody!

This section has bee set up by request for any of you that want to write a review for each V episode.

So, feel free to write a review once the show starts so that others can read it and reply to it. We can have a general thread for reviews, or people can just post their reviews separately within this forum. It's up to you.

Cheers! :)

Wouldn't it be better if the decision as to who wrote the review was made by the admins/mods? Just that any & every fucker could write a review & then it would be kind of pointless (although free & uncensored so I totally get that) - is that what it is then - about not censoring folk?

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Maybe there could be an "unofficial" list where people volunteer for different episodes, but I don't think it has to be so rigid as how we do the SGU reviews. There might not be as much interest in writing extensive reviews for these - not because the show is bad, but because it is good. My review of most episodes will probably consist of "OMG so awesome!" - I don't see myself having the desire to write deep analyses of the show, since I'll mostly just enjoy it - don't know what other people feel like doing, though.

Also, I don't see what would be wrong with a lot of people reviewing an episode, if they wanted to - that would lead to more interesting discussion, I think :)

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Maybe there could be an "unofficial" list where people volunteer for different episodes, but I don't think it has to be so rigid as how we do the SGU reviews. There might not be as much interest in writing extensive reviews for these - not because the show is bad, but because it is good. My review of most episodes will probably consist of "OMG so awesome!" - I don't see myself having the desire to write deep analyses of the show, since I'll mostly just enjoy it - don't know what other people feel like doing, though.

Also, I don't see what would be wrong with a lot of people reviewing an episode, if they wanted to - that would lead to more interesting discussion, I think :)

I haven't seen you online for a while but I have to ask - is this a typo or have you gone batshit crazy?

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
V is good - NOT SGU!

I haven't seen you online for a while but I have to ask - is this a typo or have you gone batshit crazy?

:eek: No way! I was talking about people maybe not wanting to write long reviews for V - because V is good, unlike SGU! :sgusucks: People have fun writing long reviews about how much SGU sucks, because there are just so many things wrong about it to pick out - so you could write a book practically about how much each episode sucks. But for V, how many paragraphs does it take to say: "Loved the episode, it was awesome!" - not that many. So personally, I wouldn't spend time writing a long review of a V episode - I'd just watch the episode a second time instead :)

Once more to be clear - :sgusucks:

PS - yeah I've been crazy busy these past weeks so not posting much, however I do drop by to lurk/keep up to speed for about 15-20 min a day if I can manage it!

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

:eek: No way! I was talking about people maybe not wanting to write long reviews for V - because V is good, unlike SGU! :sgusucks: People have fun writing long reviews about how much SGU sucks, because there are just so many things wrong about it to pick out - so you could write a book practically about how much each episode sucks. But for V, how many paragraphs does it take to say: "Loved the episode, it was awesome!" - not that many. So personally, I wouldn't spend time writing a long review of a V episode - I'd just watch the episode a second time instead :)

Once more to be clear - :sgusucks:
PS - yeah I've been crazy busy these past weeks so not posting much, however I do drop by to lurk/keep up to speed for about 15-20 min a day if I can manage it!

Sorry, my bad, I'm drunk again & not paying any attention to which thread I am in. These aren't the droids we're looking for, you can go about your business, move along.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Anybody gonna tackle this review of the premiere? If not, I will do it!

I absolutely LOVED the premiere. It had ups and downs, but it was a helluva start, and I am salivating for next Tuesday. I worked a 28 day shift and had downloaded it, but didnt watch it until last night. AWESOME. 10 episodes wont be enough!

Thing is, ABC may be slightly disappointed with the numbers. They are up over last season, so that is a good thing. Im hearing 20% over last season, but I have no hard data. Whatever the case, this is a great show. Seeing Jane at the end was squee-worthy. :)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Before V started I had high expectations to say the least. I loved to watch reruns of the original when I was younger, but when I watched it now when I was older it was more cheesy than I remembered. I hoped that this new version would bring a lot of new things to the table and be stand on its own. Well, a whole season and and the second season premiere has gone by, and how do I feel about the show?

Honestly, it had the potential to be much better, but I know that it's never going to be an epic and fantastically written, acted, and executed sci fi drama like Firefly, or one of the best acted and best written shows in the history of television like The Wire, and I'm okay with that. In the end it's a good and entertaining sci fi show that keeps me coming back, and what more could I ask for? Sure it has its flaws, like how scenes can tend to be a little underwritten now and then, but the story and the three most interesting characters (Anna, Lisa, and Father Jack) keeps me watching, and in the end I enjoy the show for what it is. Good and entertaining escapism.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Before V started I had high expectations to say the least. I loved to watch reruns of the original when I was younger, but when I watched it now when I was older it was more cheesy than I remembered. I hoped that this new version would bring a lot of new things to the table and be stand on its own. Well, a whole season and and the second season premiere has gone by, and how do I feel about the show?

Honestly, it had the potential to be much better, but I know that it's never going to be an epic and fantastically written, acted, and executed sci fi drama like Firefly, or one of the best acted and best written shows in the history of television like The Wire, and I'm okay with that. In the end it's a good and entertaining sci fi show that keeps me coming back, and what more could I ask for? Sure it has its flaws, like how scenes can tend to be a little underwritten now and then, but the story and the three most interesting characters (Anna, Lisa, and Father Jack) keeps me watching, and in the end I enjoy the show for what it is. Good and entertaining escapism.

ESA
Where does that quote in your sig come from?, it seems really familiar.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
ESA
Where does that quote in your sig come from?, it seems really familiar.

It's a quote from the opening scene (and trailer) of one of my favorite movie, Trainspotting. You've probably seen it and that's why you remember it. But if for some reason you haven't seen it, GO WATCH IT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl6O7sad9hI

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Def worth seeing, for the art of it.

It's a quote from the opening scene (and trailer) of one of my favorite movie, Trainspotting. You've probably seen it and that's why you remember it. But if for some reason you haven't seen it, GO WATCH IT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl6O7sad9hI

That movie is where I first saw Robert Carlyle as Begbie. I liked the movie a lot the second time around, but I never loved it. I would recommend seeing it if you havent. Shame that SGU wasted Robert Carlyle's talent for doing "dark and gritty" which is what he is best at. The writers simply were not up to the task :facepalm:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

See, I know you luuuurve sgpoo so I can't take your review of any other show seriously. I mean you like that POS, so what does that say about your taste in general- terrible. if you like it, I am sure I won't. ;) Just sayin'.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
See, I know you luuuurve sgpoo so I can't take your review of any other show seriously. I mean you like that POS, so what does that say about your taste in general- terrible. if you like it, I am sure I won't. ;) Just sayin'.

Yeah I like SGU but that doesn't mean that I think the show is flawless. But you like Twilight so your taste ain't exactly much better. Sure, I used to like that shit a bit, but I'm rehabilitated. Now I've truly realized how awful that book and movie is.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Yeah I like SGU but that doesn't mean that I think the show is flawless. But you like Twilight so your taste ain't exactly much better. Sure, I used to like that shit a bit, but I'm rehabilitated. Now I've truly realized how awful that book and movie is.

sorry junior I like twilight for it it is- fun fluff. I know it's merely fluff. :D you on the other hand have fallen into the "it's so deep and mature" trap of sgpoo. Anyone who thinks sgpoo is mature is really off base.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
sorry junior I like twilight for it it is- fun fluff. I know it's merely fluff. :D you on the other hand have fallen into the "it's so deep and mature" trap of sgpoo. Anyone who thinks sgpoo is mature is really off base.

Well it tries to be mature but it doesn't quite get there. It has that tendency of doing things for pure shock value and taking the easy way out like Stargate has always done, and like V the show is nothing very special or groundbreaking, just an entertaining hour of television each week. I'd actually like to see a dark and realistic sci fi show that doesn't do things for shock value for once. BSG tried to be that, but it tried to hard and also did things for shock value at times, like when Athena had to watch Boomer have sex with Helo. It was like they were shouting "Look, we're even darker now!". I want something like The Wire of sci fi.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I would say the premiere was a very solid piece of TV SciFi.

As always, Anna was sensational (and I don't just mean her looks). Morena Baccarin has crafted a characterization that stands out - she really comes across in her "outward" moments as someone you really want to be friends with but the "inward" (when not in the company of humans or Vs she needs to appeal to) Anna is vicious, duplicitious and very much an autocrat. But even then you get this thread that she believes she is acting in the best interests of her species.

The whole "Red Sky" situation was also well handled. Not only did we discover for sure that Anna did lose her temper and initiate Red Sky prematurely, we also got a glimpse into the longer range plan. And then Anna did a supreme silver tounge act to turn the PR tables in her favor again.

If I had a negative for the episode, it would be that the resistance (except for Father Jack) were really in reactive mode the whole episode and pretty much in the background. But maybe that was good - this episode wasn't really about the resistance but more about Anna's outburst that ended last season and her handling of the consequences. It was also good to understand a little more about the "human skins", namely that they cannot be simply taken off (they are bioskins) and that they may be responsible for some visitors becoming more "humanlike". Hopefully a future episode goes into why they grew the skins and dwell within them in the first place.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Well it tries to be mature but it doesn't quite get there. It has that tendency of doing things for pure shock value and taking the easy way out like Stargate has always done, and like V the show is nothing very special or groundbreaking, just an entertaining hour of television each week. I'd actually like to see a dark and realistic sci fi show that doesn't do things for shock value for once. BSG tried to be that, but it tried to hard and also did things for shock value at times, like when Athena had to watch Boomer have sex with Helo. It was like they were shouting "Look, we're even darker now!". I want something like The Wire of sci fi.

Say what? Why would someone have to watch someOne else have sex? I haven't watched bsg but I'd love to know how that works:)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Last night's episode continued the story well. Interesting that they are setting Diana up to be less of a villain than her previous incarnation. Also we saw more about why the Visitors have come, and it is a rather interesting plot twist (definitely different than the old V).

They have also opened a whole new plot avenue to pursue. Anna is trying to approach everything from a rationalistic perspective, and Diana is trying to tell her that ultimately it cannot work.

There are still some things they need to explain, like Anna's cache of eggs from last season in light of what they are saying about reproduction. But overall this is quality SciFi TV, with the soap element minimized. I do hope that either ABC renews it or that SyFy sees the ratings (which on their network would be huge) and brings V over.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
My comment regarding this episode: Meh. I really don't like this storyline about the soul, which for some reason seems to be located in Diana's boobs. Can't scientific minded lizards such as Anna just realize that human emotion stems from the brain's neurochemical processes, and not mommy's cleavage? I am really on the fence about continuing to watch the show because the plot arc is getting really dumb. Sure, I've watched other shows with bad plot arcs, but that was because the characters brought me back, or because it was done in a tounge-in-cheek fashion, but V has none of that. I think I'll give it a few more episodes anyway. At least until Chuck starts back up.

Also, the ratings for this week aren't looking very good for V or No Ordinary Family. Hell, a rerun of Glee got a better 18-49 rating than a brand new episode of NOF.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-family-drop-good-wife-bests-parenthood/78266

Say what? Why would someone have to watch someOne else have sex? I haven't watched bsg but I'd love to know how that works:)

Boomer who looks exactly like Athena had knocked Athena unconscious and hid her in a toilet stall. However just as Boomer is about to leave, Helo (Athena's husband) arrives and thinks that she's Athena and wants to have sex with her before she leaves for a mission, and she has to go through with it because she doesn't want him to suspect that she isn't who she says she is. So they have sex, but then Athena stirs awake, unable to move or anything, but the door to the toilet stall is open by a little crack, so she gets a front row seat of watching her husband have sex with someone else, just before her daughter is kidnapped by the same gal who is sexing up her husband.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Anna is actually not scientifically minded. Part of being scientifically minded is the ability to accept that there are limits to your knowledge and understanding. Where Anna is failing (and Diana was trying to tell her) is that she will not acknowledge anything beyond her ability to discover and control. Also, they never represented the "soul" as residing in any part of Diana's anatomy - the necklace was clearly a tech device that broadcast her thoughts (something like Anna does on a larger scale with the Bliss).

The irony of the situation is that Anna cannot succeed, and Diana knows it. She warned Anna to that effect (that the end result of the plan as it stands will be a generation of Visitors bred on earth that will not be controllable) but Anna won't listen.

Overall a nice and logical plot. The only plot outlier is tying in the soldier eggs from last season, which I hope will be done.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Also, they never represented the "soul" as residing in any part of Diana's anatomy - the necklace was clearly a tech device that broadcast her thoughts (something like Anna does on a larger scale with the Bliss).

The part about the soul being in Diana's cleavage was actually a joke.