VW Screwed

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Its getting worse....VW also scammed European emissions standards (this affects Audi too). VW's only division not touched was Porsche. The CEO of VW resigned yesterday, and they are eyeing the Chief of Porsche to head the parent company VW now. This is really a burn, because VW has been selling these vehicles with the software since 2009. Somebody somewhere in the company was tasked with writing this software for the express purpose of deception. And cooperation between the engine team and the electronics team would have to have happened, so they could refine the operation of the device, PLUS, they would have had to test it too! That just makes me shake my head.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Hmmmm....not understanding Ford hate here. :) I consider Ford to be the best American auto manufacturer (although I have never owned an American car).

I've had the misfortune of owning a Ford. Never again. I've owned Chevy (several), Pontiac (back in the day) and Toyota. The Pontiacs I owned sucked but not as bad as the Ford. The Chevy's and the Toyota have been a million times easier to deal with in terms of maintenance, repairs, dealer recalls, etc. etc. etc. Ford stranded me more times than I care to remember. Never been stranded by Chevy or Toyota or even Pontiac. The DIY maintenance has been much easier on all three other brands verses Ford.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

http://ericpetersautos.com/2015/09/23/crucified-by-uncle/

ericpetersautos.com said:
What is the “allowable maximum”?

It is a very small number.

Less than 1 percent of the total volume of the car’s exhaust. We are talking fractions of percentages here. Which is why talk of “40 percent” is so misleading and, frankly, deliberately dishonest.

Left out of context, the figure sounds alarming. As in 40 percent of 100 percent.

As opposed to 40 percent of the remaining unscrubbed 1-3 percent or .05 percent or whatever it is (depending on the specific “harmful” byproduct being belabored).

The truth – explained rarely, for reasons that will become obvious – is that the emissions of new cars (and recent-vintage cars) have been so thoroughly cleaned up they hardly exist at all. Catalytic converters (and especially “three way” catalytic converters with oxygen sensors) and fuel injection alone eliminated about two-thirds of the objectionable effluvia from the exhaust stream – and they’ve been around since the 1980s. Most of the remaining third was dealt with during the ’90s, via more precise forms of fuel delivery (port fuel injection replaced throttle body fuel injection) and more sophisticated engine computers capable of real-time monitoring and adjustment of parameters, and of alerting the vehicle’s owner to the need for a check (OBD II).

Since the late ’90s/early 2000s, the industry has been chasing diminishing returns. The remaining 3 percent or so of the exhaust stream that’s not been “controlled.”

You may begin to see the problem here.

Internal combustion is always going to produce some emissions. The engineers have picked the low hanging (and mid-hanging) fruit. But the EPA insists on what amounts to a zero emissions internal combustion engine.

Which, of course, is impossible.

Which may be just the point.

Set unattainable standards – then denounce the victim for “noncompliance.”

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I would only get the f150 or the ford gt if I could afford it . Otherwise I have no interest in fords either ...
;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
From your excerpt:

The truth – explained rarely, for reasons that will become obvious – is that the emissions of new cars (and recent-vintage cars) have been so thoroughly cleaned up they hardly exist at all.
Catalytic converters (and especially “three way” catalytic converters with oxygen sensors) and fuel injection alone eliminated about two-thirds of the objectionable effluvia from the exhaust stream – and they’ve been around since the 1980s. Most of the remaining third was dealt with during the ’90s, via more precise forms of fuel delivery (port fuel injection replaced throttle body fuel injection) and more sophisticated engine computers capable of real-time monitoring and adjustment of parameters, and of alerting the vehicle’s owner to the need for a check (OBD II).

Since the late ’90s/early 2000s, the industry has been chasing diminishing returns. The remaining 3 percent or so of the exhaust stream that’s not been “controlled.”

You may begin to see the problem here.

Internal combustion is always going to produce some emissions. The engineers have picked the low hanging (and mid-hanging) fruit. But the EPA insists on what amounts to a zero emissions internal combustion engine.

Which, of course, is impossible.

Which may be just the point.

Set unattainable standards – then denounce the victim for “noncompliance.”

This is the exact same game they are playing with "Climate Change" (manmade global warming). There is BIG MONEY in this game.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Correction . F150 makes 360hp ... 5 litre V8

Looking around tho I see GM trucks almost having no complaints were as fords do with there crappy eco boost . Interesting indeed ...Hmmmm . Problem is do I want to own a vehicle with an 87 cent ignition part that could kill me ,,,

:sour: :sour: :sour:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Have you ever driven a Subaru? For the type of climate you live in, they are a natural. 4wd, right size, nice amenities, good price...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
VW is REALLY screwed. Looks like the Skoda chief (another VW company) will take the helm. It is also looking like VW will be fined around 18 BILLION for the scam in the US. This is outside of the liability to civil suits from individuals and class action suits from fleet buyers, and does not count the yet undetermined fines from European nations. :facepalm:. Today, the EPA decided to conduct road testing emissions of ALL diesel automobiles sold in the US and Canada:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-epa-auto-testing-20150925-story.html

The VW models with the TDI engines sitting on dealer lots have been stop-sold. Since they are illegal, VW will be responsible for buying the unsold cars back:

http://jalopnik.com/u-s-volkswagen-dealers-will-be-reimbursed-for-stop-sal-1732454529

This scandal is bad in the US...it is 11 MILLION times worse in Europe, where this scandal involves several dozen times more customers, millions more cars and even more fines from multiple nations.

http://www.theguardian.com/business...s-cost-of-crisis-after-ceo-quits-live-updates

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Have you ever driven a Subaru? For the type of climate you live in, they are a natural. 4wd, right size, nice amenities, good price...
My friend has the wrx and it just blew up and its past warranty and for $10,000 he can have it repaired . No thanks ... I find subes to be friggin ugly cars ...
Gonna try and get a pickup and i am getting to old to be slammin cars around corners . A truck will keep me slow and calm hopefully

;) ;) ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Try a Stryker - that will definitely keep you slow and calm

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I've owned Hyundai's for a while now (currently a Sonata). Nice car, rides well, very reliable and gives really good mileage (my recent PA trip in it got 38 MPG). Before that I had an Elantra that got destroyed when a Ford Ranger plowed into it while it was parked (the guy was going about 45 mph when he hit - on a side street).

Hyundai Motor is an interesting company (it was spun off of the old Hyundai chaebol about 10 years ago into its own company). When they first started they had major reliability issues that turned out to center on the (at the time) engines they were buying being underpowered (the motors were not putting out the correct rated hp which overstressed the whole drive train). They then bought Mitsubishi engines for a few years that were radically up-powered and solved the reliability problem. Now they make their own. Plus their main design facility is in California (Chino) with a satellite in Michigan, and their main manufacturing facility is in Alabama.

I recently read an article in the paper staiting that hungdie made a good car from year 2007 to 2010 . And that was it . Anything before or after are garbage as I am experiencig first hand ...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I am so buying an older car now . My friend is going to lease the 2016 Ford Explorer . It will actually drive itself if you let it . That creeps me out ... But hey , maybe it will get drunks home safe from the bar and no more horrible DUI accidents and get them off the roads with there stinkin( block 2 lanes if I could during rush hour but 1 will suffice ) E-Bikes ...

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am so buying an older car now . My friend is going to lease the 2016 Ford Explorer . It will actually drive itself if you let it . That creeps me out ... But hey , maybe it will get drunks home safe from the bar and no more horrible DUI accidents and get them off the roads with there stinkin( block 2 lanes if I could during rush hour but 1 will suffice ) E-Bikes ...

What creeps me out is the HACKING of cars as was recently shown with the Jeep that was shut down remotely while in motion by hackers. For several years, I had concerns about GM's OnStar "service" which is capable of doing the same thing, as well as unlocking doors, the trunk, locking doors, and who knows what else? I can envision cars of the future that know when you have committed a crime and then they lock you inside and drive you to the police to be arrested! :anim_59:. Or, say somebody needs to have an "accident"...make the car move into oncoming traffic or go off a cliff. Far fetched but still not impossible! I have no computers controlling anything in my old car. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What creeps me out is the HACKING of cars as was recently shown with the Jeep that was shut down remotely while in motion by hackers. For several years, I had concerns about GM's OnStar "service" which is capable of doing the same thing, as well as unlocking doors, the trunk, locking doors, and who knows what else? I can envision cars of the future that know when you have committed a crime and then they lock you inside and drive you to the police to be arrested! :anim_59:. Or, say somebody needs to have an "accident"...make the car move into oncoming traffic or go off a cliff. Far fetched but still not impossible! I have no computers controlling anything in my old car. :)
Says the computer programmer................ :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Says the computer programmer................ :lol:

Oh, I am a networking guy not a programmer. Programmers are to guys like me as a soldier is to an officer. The programmers are the gods of IT. They are the ones who are the architects of the internet and all things cyber. :) Other computer geeks like me usually have some programming skills (and I do), but not on their level. There are database geeks, scripting geeks, AI/algorithm geeks...all are dangerous. :biggrin:

That cars can be hacked is just plain frightening. Planes have been vulnerable to things like this for decades. Iran stole one of our drones by hacking it and making it land in Iran in 2011: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Midd...hijacked-US-drone-says-Iranian-engineer-Video