VW Screwed

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Ok so I am really pissed about this one and not for what you think . I don't give a rats ass about VW and would never own one and find there cars to be some of the ugliest on the road . My pisser here is that Hyundai has done the exact same thing in the past and are outright lying mf's as I held an oil leaking shock from my 2013 elantrash gt in my hand showing it to them and they still told me there was nothing wrong with it ffs .
Also as with VW , Hyundai keeps consistanly lying about the mpg's . My car is supposed to use 4 to 6 litres of gas per 100 klm's highway . It's always from 9 to 14 litres per 100 klm's . I barely get 400 klm's out of a 60 litre tank . I recently rented an F150 pickup and I was averaging 10 litres per 100 klms . So a 4500 lb vehicle with a v8 ,300hp engine gets better fuel economy than my 1.8 litre 143 hp 3000 lb car .
Hyundai gave me a whopping $250 for the fuel discrepancy . My friend owns a Ford CMAX and her car was off by 1klm per litre and Ford refunded her $600 frakin dollars .
What I want to happen to Hyundai is what is happening right now to VW . They are both at fault and I am so hoping for the authority's to bring the hammer down on Hungdie as they are doing with V wuble u...
Your lucky . This is a short rant because right now I feel really tired and not just physically , but mentally having to deal with these lying dirtbag Hungdie manufacturer ... ... ...VW, GM , Dodge, Hungdie , Toyota , Honda ... The worst of the worst this bunch ...

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-is-screwed-1732039455

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Elantra/2013/

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was wondering if anyone here was going to talk about this. :) So, to fill in others on what is going on...

VW has, for several years...sold cars in the US which contain a "cheat device" which is activated when the car is plugged into an emissions testing computer. When active, it reduces emissions 40% from what it does when not active. When these cars are on the road in normal mode, they emit from 10 to 40 TIMES the allowed emissions. Volkwagen has been pushing the small diesel here for quite some time, and there are hundreds of thousands of cars rolling on the streets polluting worse than some full sized pickup trucks like the F150. A dirty running Golf diesel puts out more NOx fumes than a gas burning Hummer!

This is no small problem. It is starting to emerge that this problem is worldwide. VW will be able to financially survive (because it is Europe's biggest automaker). But I think it's reputation has been ruined in the US.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/22/news/vw-recall-diesel/

Volkswagen stunned investors Tuesday by admitting that the problem was much bigger than that: internal investigations had found significant discrepancies in 11 million vehicles worldwide.

"Millions of people all over the world trust our brands, our cars and our technology. I am deeply sorry we have broken this trust," said CEO Martin Winterkorn. "I would like to make a formal apology to our customers, to the authorities, and to the general public for this misconduct."

The company set aside 6.5 billion euros ($7.3 billion) to cover the cost of recalls and other efforts to limit the damage, trashing its profit forecast for the year in the process.

Shares in Volkswagen (VLKAY) plunged 17% Tuesday, after suffering a similar crash Monday. About a third of the value of the group has been wiped out in two days, causing big losses for major shareholders such as Qatar.

Liars and cheats. 11 million cars worldwide....ELEVEN MILLION.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I do own a VW (2005 New Beetle), but not a diesel, so this doesn't affect me.

Love my car. It's been good to me, so I try to be good to it. I bought it new over 10 years ago and have never once regretted it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I do own a VW (2005 New Beetle), but not a diesel, so this doesn't affect me.

Love my car. It's been good to me, so I try to be good to it. I bought it new over 10 years ago and have never once regretted it.

I have seen it, remember? AWESOME car. :) And like you said, it is not a diesel do you do not have to worry about it. I suspect that Audi diesels are the next to be exposed (because VW makes the engines and owns Audi). Oh wait....too late!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...lkswagen-audi-evading-emission-laws/72400018/

The agency said the diesel cars that violated federal standard were the 2009-14Volkswagen Jetta, Beetle and Golf, the 2014-15 Volkswagen Passat, and the 2009-15 Audi A3.

I have always owned German cars, but never a diesel.

Last edited:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I wondered how long it would be until its other brands were revealed to be affected in this debacle.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ok so I am really pissed about this one and not for what you think . I don't give a rats ass about VW and would never own one and find there cars to be some of the ugliest on the road . My pisser here is that Hyundai has done the exact same thing in the past and are outright lying mf's as I held an oil leaking shock from my 2013 elantrash gt in my hand showing it to them and they still told me there was nothing wrong with it ffs .
Also as with VW , Hyundai keeps consistanly lying about the mpg's . My car is supposed to use 4 to 6 litres of gas per 100 klm's highway . It's always from 9 to 14 litres per 100 klm's . I barely get 400 klm's out of a 60 litre tank . I recently rented an F150 pickup and I was averaging 10 litres per 100 klms . So a 4500 lb vehicle with a v8 ,300hp engine gets better fuel economy than my 1.8 litre 143 hp 3000 lb car .
Hyundai gave me a whopping $250 for the fuel discrepancy . My friend owns a Ford CMAX and her car was off by 1klm per litre and Ford refunded her $600 frakin dollars .
What I want to happen to Hyundai is what is happening right now to VW . They are both at fault and I am so hoping for the authority's to bring the hammer down on Hungdie as they are doing with V wuble u...
Your lucky . This is a short rant because right now I feel really tired and not just physically , but mentally having to deal with these lying dirtbag Hungdie manufacturer ... ... ...VW, GM , Dodge, Hungdie ... The worst of the worst this bunch ...

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-is-screwed-1732039455

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Elantra/2013/

VWs are great cars. It is not VW/Porsche/Audi that sucks, it is their diesel. The VW diesel engines and cars are the #1 selling cars in Europe. Over there, diesels account for more than 50% of all car sales. So, it is cheap for VW/Audi to make those engines (hence the importance of being able to sell tons of them here in the US). By comparison, diesels make up about 1% of cars sold in the US (most are trucks).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have only ever owned toyota's.

The only car I would swap to would be a Tesla, but as we have no infastruture for them here, I'll stick to my toyota :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have only ever owned toyota's.

The only car I would swap to would be a Tesla, but as we have no infastruture for them here, I'll stick to my toyota :)

I had the Opel Manta (at the time it was made in Germany by Opel AG), then the Mercedes 190e (4cyl, hated it), and now I am still driving the 300E and it has been fully restored and looks and drives awesome. But I would dump it for a Tesla Model S. They plug into a regular outlet, dont they? Emissions controls will force me out of my Mercedes before the car breaks down on me. :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
They have there own thing to recharge I think, but I would think that there would be a regular power socket as well, it would be stupid not too.

If you want to feel like Tony Stark however, this is in the works as well (prototype)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
My next vehicle will be a Ford hands down . I am really tired of the foreign car manufacturers . My friend has the diesel Jetta . I wonder if she even knows about this .
True also my argument with Hungdie is with fuel econmy and suspension and is not emissions related but the point is they are lying to the customer and always to make more profits . Nothing to do with quality ,safety or piece of mind for the purchaser . My elantrash is the worst handling car I have ever driven in my life . It will lull you into thinking its a great little car but it is false . It destroyed the left rear shock within 6000 klm's or 4000 miles because of this bizarre suspension design . I have to turn traction control off in snow to move it anywhere . I have to keep the eco button off to improve fuel mileage as it reduces hp so much you end up pushing the gas pedal down further to move it forward . I recently went threw a lemon law hearing here in Canada and tho I did not win the fight , Hungdie did admit there is a problem with the suspension but it does what it was designed to do ... Really ! Sheese huh .
At least Hungdie sales keep dropping and people are waking up to there’s and other manufacturers bullshit .
Ask any hungdie owner of any of there models and they will say they like there car but it gets horrible gas mileage . I have not met one hungdie owner yet that say there mileage was acceptable . Look at there websites and it says there cars sip fuel . Yah threw a 2 inch hose lol ... 400 klm's/248.548 mpg per tank is a good day . In the winter it goes down to 340 klm's/ 211.266 mpg per tank if your lucky .
And tho VW messed around with there emissions ! , they get some serious miles out of a tank of fuel ... My friends Jetta Wagon has gone as far as 1200 klm's/ 745.645 miles before having to refill and that's towing a trailer with a 500 lb bike on the back and gas cans ...
ANyway I got sucked into Hungdie because they actually have very nice exteriors/interiors and lots of features included that are usally an optional purchase . I was actually quite impressed with my 2011 Elantra Touring other than the horrid mpg's .
I am beyond unsatisfied with the 2013 Elantrash GT . I see now that people are starting to complain about the 2014 and 2015 . Hungdie has learned nothing and keep putting this garbage car on our highways . If you happen to follow one down the street sometime , watch the drivers head and the back of the car . A simple simple bump will have the drivers head bobbling all over the place and the back of the vehicle will sidestep enough sometimes to knock a cyclist off his bike . Seriously . It can move 6 to 8 inches sometimes if you have the right speed and the right simple bump . Oh and stay away from snow . But wait ! I live in Canada . Home of the snow dog and Iglooand Rush ! So how will I get around town in the winter ? ... AS elmer fudd would say . Be varewee varewee carefwull .
I hope I have steered a few of you away from Hungdie if you were thinking it would be a good purchase . It is not ...

;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My next vehicle will be a Ford hands down . I am really tired of the foreign car manufacturers . My friend has the diesel Jetta . I wonder if she even knows about this .
True also my argument with Hungdie is with fuel econmy and suspension and is not emissions related but the point is they are lying to the customer and always to make more profits . Nothing to do with quality ,safety or piece of mind for the purchaser . My elantrash is the worst handling car I have ever driven in my life . It will lull you into thinking its a great little car but it is false . It destroyed the left rear shock within 6000 klm's or 4000 miles because of this bizarre suspension design . I have to turn traction control off in snow to move it anywhere . I have to keep the eco button off to improve fuel mileage as it reduces hp so much you end up pushing the gas pedal down further to move it forward . I recently went threw a lemon law hearing here in Canada and tho I did not win the fight , Hungdie did admit there is a problem with the suspension but it does what it was designed to do ... Really ! Sheese huh .
At least Hungdie sales keep dropping and people are waking up to there’s and other manufacturers bullshit .
Ask any hungdie owner of any of there models and they will say they like there car but it gets horrible gas mileage . I have not met one hungdie owner yet that say there mileage was acceptable . Look at there websites and it says there cars sip fuel . Yah threw a 2 inch hose lol ... 400 klm's/248.548 mpg per tank is a good day . In the winter it goes down to 340 klm's/ 211.266 mpg per tank if your lucky .
And tho VW messed around with there emissions ! , they get some serious miles out of a tank of fuel ... My friends Jetta Wagon has gone as far as 1200 klm's/ 745.645 miles before having to refill and that's towing a trailer with a 500 lb bike on the back and gas cans ...
ANyway I got sucked into Hungdie because they actually have very nice exteriors/interiors and lots of features included that are usally an optional purchase . I was actually quite impressed with my 2011 Elantra Touring other than the horrid mpg's .
I am beyond unsatisfied with the 2013 Elantrash GT . I see now that people are starting to complain about the 2014 and 2015 . Hungdie has learned nothing and keep putting this garbage car on our highways . If you happen to follow one down the street sometime , watch the drivers head and the back of the car . A simple simple bump will have the drivers head bobbling all over the place and the back of the vehicle will sidestep enough sometimes to knock a cyclist off his bike . Seriously . It can move 6 to 8 inches sometimes if you have the right speed and the right simple bump . Oh and stay away from snow . But wait ! I live in Canada . Home of the snow dog and Iglooand Rush ! So how will I get around town in the winter ? ... AS elmer fudd would say . Be varewee varewee carefwull .
I hope I have steered a few of you away from Hungdie if you were thinking it would be a good purchase . It is not ...

;) ;) ;)

It looks cool...

2013-hyundai-elantra-gt-fd.jpg

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
And thats how you get sucked in . It looks like a neat car and it even drives quite nicely until it does it's hungdie dance of death and wobbles all over the road and feels like the wheels are not connected to the vehicle and eats gas like 2 pickups and grinds it's brakes and lets it's transmission slip or change gears unexpectedly or makes scary engine noises like it's gonna explode and you can't put the drivers seat back without crushing the rear passengers knees or the inability to put the rear headrests back in there place after you had to remove them to put the rear seats supposedly flat down or having an owners manual that weighs more than 2 pounds and is so large that the glove box is completely unusable or that the a pillar is so huge that you can't see to the left or right unless you yank chest up to the steering wheel to see if cars are coming or why you have 4 snow tires but why is the car not moving in an inch of snow or why when I hit the brakes in snow the backend wants to pass the front ... Did I miss anything ? Oh the seats are hard as rocks and my legs go numb within minutes .

I have never felt so unsafe and uncomfortable in a vehicle until this shitbox ended up in my driveway . I feel so so duped
:( :( :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And thats how you get sucked in . It looks like a neat car and it even drives quite nicely until it does it's hungdie dance of death and wobbles all over the road and feels like the wheels are not connected to the vehicle and eats gas like 2 pickups and grinds it's brakes and lets it's transmission slip or change gears unexpectedly or makes scary engine noises like it's gonna explode and you can't put the drivers seat back without crushing the rear passengers knees or the inability to put the rear headrests back in there place after you had to remove them to put the rear seats supposedly flat down or having an owners manual that weighs more than 2 pounds and is so large that the glove box is completely unusable or that the a pillar is so huge that you can't see to the left or right unless you yank chest up to the steering wheel to see if cars are coming or why you have 4 snow tires but why is the car not moving in an inch of snow or why when I hit the brakes in snow the backend wants to pass the front ... Did I miss anything ? Oh the seats are hard as rocks and my legs go numb within minutes .

I have never felt so unsafe and uncomfortable in a vehicle until this shitbox ended up in my driveway . I feel so so duped
:( :( :(

jeepcliff.gif

:indecisiveness: ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Ford Expedition here- now and always - looks nice and very safe. :D never liked VW's - had one and it was a POS car! :P so buy a car for "good " gas mileage and discover it's faked...how long does it take a person to figure that out?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Ford Expedition here- now and always - looks nice and very safe. :D never liked VW's - had one and it was a POS car! :P so buy a car for "good " gas mileage and discover it's faked...how long does it take a person to figure that out?

The fault lies in the Clinton/Bush/Obama regulatory state that insists that the air coming out has to be cleaner than air coming in.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I've owned Hyundai's for a while now (currently a Sonata). Nice car, rides well, very reliable and gives really good mileage (my recent PA trip in it got 38 MPG). Before that I had an Elantra that got destroyed when a Ford Ranger plowed into it while it was parked (the guy was going about 45 mph when he hit - on a side street).

Hyundai Motor is an interesting company (it was spun off of the old Hyundai chaebol about 10 years ago into its own company). When they first started they had major reliability issues that turned out to center on the (at the time) engines they were buying being underpowered (the motors were not putting out the correct rated hp which overstressed the whole drive train). They then bought Mitsubishi engines for a few years that were radically up-powered and solved the reliability problem. Now they make their own. Plus their main design facility is in California (Chino) with a satellite in Michigan, and their main manufacturing facility is in Alabama.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just remember, VW started out with heavy involvement from Adolf Hitler and up until the end of WW2 largely used slave labor...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just remember, VW started out with heavy involvement from Adolf Hitler and up until the end of WW2 largely used slave labor...

Although I agree with you both about VW's history, they make good cars. You are likely to see way more VWs on the road after 15 years than any of the other cars you are mentioning (except Rac's Ford, which is basically bulletproof and made to last a lifetime). The problem here is not that VW makes crappy cars, because they don't. The problem here is the intentional deception on the corporate level. I think it is pretty ballsy to build a car which includes an emissions cheat device. SOMEBODY at VW was paid to create the device, and at least 11 million of these devices have been distributed to customers...at cost. There is no chance at trying to claim innocence.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Hey , other than the super fuel sucking of my 2011 elantra touring i absolutly loved that car . I could boogie it threw a corner so friggin fast and it stayed planted to the road like some of the race cars I drove back in the 80's . I put 36 2"x 4' x 8' long boards in it and closed the hatch . I could put 2 full sized bicycles in the back and close the hatch . I could pull a trailer with it . 200lb tongue weight and 2000 lbs towing capacity . I can't do any of that with the 2013 . It has enough trouble just hauling the owners manual around .
;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hey , other than the super fuel sucking of my 2011 elantra touring i absolutly loved that car . I could boogie it threw a corner so friggin fast and it stayed planted to the road like some of the race cars I drove back in the 80's . I put 36 2"x 4' x 8' long boards in it and closed the hatch . I could put 2 full sized bicycles in the back and close the hatch . I could pull a trailer with it . 200lb tongue weight and 2000 lbs towing capacity . I can't do any of that with the 2013 . It has enough trouble just hauling the owners manual around .
;) ;) ;)

Why don't you just get another one (2011 Elantra)? I do not understand why people lease. Get a car you LOVE, and just buy the damned thing. :)