THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You also have to clean the GateFans employee lounge. Be warned, we just had our Christmas party in there and the place is a mess. (Our Australian contingent tends to get a bit out of hand, being unable to hold their liquor and all. ;) )

I think I hurled in someone's boots... :anim_35:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Oh and, a person can say they enjoy watching a show/movie-that doesn't mean they agree with or like every bit of it.

just saying :love_heart:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I watched the first episode then part of the second, Is this show worth it?

This is a good question! I watched the first episode, and part of the second, but I just did not feel any urge to watch more. Not because I disliked it, it just did not grab me. It looks beautiful, but the universe it's in and the dialogue is missing something.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This is a good question! I watched the first episode, and part of the second, but I just did not feel any urge to watch more. Not because I disliked it, it just did not grab me. It looks beautiful, but the universe it's in and the dialogue is missing something.

The story is very heavy with politics between parties that I'm not really sure I want to get invested in caring about. Found myself tuning out to watch a Simpsons rerun instead during the second (or third?) episode.

*That's not a critique of the production btw. It's done pretty well in that regard.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If your looking for "old fashioned(like say pre SCIFI TO SYFY switch)" sci fi with a good story and excellent space action-ep 4 should grab you

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, I know. And the ppl of those towns should petition for a name change! :redface:

But say "Medina" to most ppl (those who would have a clue at least) and their first answer, in all likelihood, is not going to be "a marketplace" or "the arab quarter of a North African town"

Medina is one of the pair of Holiest of Holy sites in Saudi for Islam-Mecca and Medina are both required to visist for the devout to complete the Hajj.

So holy, no non Muslim ppl can enter it or it's surrounds.

But if you think that the show/book has it in reference to a place in Ohio, then ok. So long as you don't think that Islam and radical or Muslim and terror are words that have nothing to do with one another. :icon_nono:

I'll leave this little tiff for the GF's 'line judge' to adjudicate; OM1, just where are you anyhow? :apologetic:

Im not gonna comment on that issue regarding this series just yet. :) Im on the fence about it. On one hand, the absolutely beautiful, summer blockbuster theater quality special effects are almost enough to watch the thing. But they are not enough. The dialogue is vague, but you get the sense they are building up the foundation for the universe they are in and the characters we are seeing, so that is not that big of a downer. For me the politics of this universe and the bleak (IMO) corporatist owned future is a turn off. I do think I may read the books.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Im not gonna comment on that issue regarding this series just yet. :) Im on the fence about it. On one hand, the absolutely beautiful, summer blockbuster theater quality special effects are almost enough to watch the thing. But they are not enough. The dialogue is vague, but you get the sense they are building up the foundation for the universe they are in and the characters we are seeing, so that is not that big of a downer. For me the politics of this universe and the bleak (IMO) corporatist owned future is a turn off. I do think I may read the books.

Oh, the show, overall is great (so far). Just that I think it is an intrusion of current life into art (the series and the books?) for what we know is an attempt at subtle 'muzzie love hug'

as JOE said, they are being PC. as I said, they are trying "exposure=acceptance" route

not much to be on the fence about; Medina and women in Hijab are muslim incursions into our sci fi

but the rest of the show is great!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I haven't "looked ahead" using the web so I am only on Episode 3. I'm starting to like where this is going with a third party trying to incite a Mars-Earth war.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I haven't "looked ahead" using the web so I am only on Episode 3. I'm starting to like where this is going with a third party trying to incite a Mars-Earth war.

The problem I'm having is that I don't identify with any of the parties involved. I know it's still early on but in order for this show to hold my interest I'm going to need someone to sympathize with. So far I've got nothing to work with. (And a couple of old queens and an old woman sitting around a dinner table muttering about political generalities isn't really exciting viewing I must say.)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The problem I'm having is that I don't identify with any of the parties involved. I know it's still early on but in order for this show to hold my interest I'm going to need someone to sympathize with. So far I've got nothing to work with. (And a couple of old queens and an old woman sitting around a dinner table muttering about political generalities isn't really exciting viewing I must say.)

This is a good point! I do not identify or empathize with any of these characters. There isnt anyone to love to hate in it yet. And without an alien threat, all we see is humans infighting with each other. Sure, this could be the future of space expansion, but it isn't much fun yet. I feel somehow drained after watching it for more than 30 min.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is a good point! I do not identify or empathize with any of these characters. There isnt anyone to love to hate in it yet. And without an alien threat, all we see is humans infighting with each other. Sure, this could be the future of space expansion, but it isn't much fun yet. I feel somehow drained after watching it for more than 30 min.

That is something I would ding it on too.

To be more specific, so far the story has neither an antagonist nor a protagonist. It feels more like "days in the life of future people". It makes it unfocused. It has promise because of the adherence to real physics and such but they need to define things more sharply.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That is something I would ding it on too.

To be more specific, so far the story has neither an antagonist nor a protagonist. It feels more like "days in the life of future people". It makes it unfocused. It has promise because of the adherence to real physics and such but they need to define things more sharply.

Great observation. I think that is why the jury is still out on it for me. I am not turned off by the characters, I just do not connect with them. I contrast this with SGU where I hated all the characters after the second part of the Air episode and wanted the ship to blow up or fly into a star. This one, Im just meh, but not turned off by it yet.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh, the show, overall is great (so far). Just that I think it is an intrusion of current life into art (the series and the books?) for what we know is an attempt at subtle 'muzzie love hug'

as JOE said, they are being PC. as I said, they are trying "exposure=acceptance" route

not much to be on the fence about; Medina and women in Hijab are muslim incursions into our sci fi

I'm ignoring them for now. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay now I am caught up with the Expanse episodes.

Nice fight between the Mars ship and the unknown assailant. I liked how they decided to sacrifice themselves to preserve the Canterbury survivors. And the story was tightened up a bit this episode, probably because the fight necessitated the focus being more on the Canterbury survivors.

All in all I still feel it needs a sharper focus and a bit more definition on the characters but it was definitely watchable.

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member

I thought they are Hindu.

poundpuppy29

Scifi & Fantasy Junkie
has this started is it any good