THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
And, just what the hell was Uncle MATEO doing here? Did I see him open his face plate while on a EVA? Exposing himself to space and venting his suit? I saw nor heard no explanation for this....

upload_2016-1-23_0-3-44.png

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Thanks Youngjin, I got the book and show transposed on the naming.

As to uncle Matteo, I believe that was his sun shield not the whole faceplate.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Thanks Youngkin, I got the book and show transposed on the naming.

As to uncle Matteo, I believe that was his sun shield not the whole faceplate.

any idea what he pulled out from there?

------------------
and the way they changed the ROCINANTE thing. that is, Holden's reason.

just why did they feel compelled to do that? what is wrong with keeping the DQ reference? maybe they thought not enough ppl would know the story?

but then they used the SCIPIO AFRICANUS for the other MCRN frig--like the chances more ppl would know him and not know about DQ is just...weird

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So for all we know Holden was about to note it was Don Quixote's horse.

I just found the scene where he pulled something out. Hard to tell what it was. I checked online and what they showed happening was actually more realistic than the Hollywood explosive decompression we saw in, for example, Total Recall. He exhaled with the plate up which was apparently the proper thing to do (prevents lungs from bursting).

Interesting.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So for all we know Holden was about to note it was Don Quixote's horse.

I just found the scene where he pulled something out. Hard to tell what it was. I checked online and what they showed happening was actually more realistic than the Hollywood explosive decompression we saw in, for example, Total Recall. He exhaled with the plate up which was apparently the proper thing to do (prevents lungs from bursting).

Interesting.

so he did raise his face plate and not just the sun shield?

i get the exhaling part and the lungs, but how does that keep his face from freeze drying?

----------------
I know he went "nutty" over the MCRN impounding himself and his cargo, but when I saw him pull that thing out, I had "snake in the head" flashbacks :icon_lol: which may also explain his loss of reason and 'explosive' action

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
He was pulling out a short circuiting suit component.

As to the opening the suit, it turns out they got it right:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceIsCold

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExplosiveDecompression

While my initial reaction was like yours, I then remembered having read about the same phenomenon in a Larry Niven story where it was noted that instant freezing and explosive decompression are tropes. I reswearched and...voila...they are.

interesting!

So why did he go kamikazee? just pissed and had enough of "the man"?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, this was much more of an action episode and the storyline just jumped forward.

Miller and Holden have now met, and Julie Mao has been found - dead. But they also discovered something in a derelict spacecraft and in Mao's room - and it may be alive. Nice episode - really stuck to the main plot and had little if any distractions.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, this was much more of an action episode and the storyline just jumped forward.

Miller and Holden have now met, and Julie Mao has been found - dead. But they also discovered something in a derelict spacecraft and in Mao's room - and it may be alive. Nice episode - really stuck to the main plot and had little if any distractions.

:daniel_new004: Spoiled it....:( I haven't seen the episode yet.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, just saw it. :) Great episode. This show is going to knock NuBSG off it's exhalted throne as "the bar".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That "blue crystalline goo" appears to be alive. Is the goo intelligent? What is that alien structure that the goo was on? Those parasitic creatures on Julie's body...what were they? Were they alien creatures from within our solar system or were they alien from outside? Nobody tells us whether or not humans found life on any of the Sol planetary bodies in that future.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That "blue crystalline goo" appears to be alive. Is the goo intelligent? What is that alien structure that the goo was on? Those parasitic creatures on Julie's body...what were they? Were they alien creatures from within our solar system or were they alien from outside? Nobody tells us whether or not humans found life on any of the Sol planetary bodies in that future.

Perhaps something from the "seas" of Europa?

NOW, that would be interesting, IMO at least

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now this is where if someone has read the book the spoilers would be gigantic....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Now this is where if someone has read the book the spoilers would be gigantic....

I have not read the book, just the synopses available online. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Don't go in here unless you are okay with massive spoilers:

Basically the answers to a lot of Overmind's and Youngjin's questions are here...:anim_19:

well,,I hope the show TPTB's make some changes to this
bioweapon
thing

I read your spoiler link, I don't like where it is going...seems more WALKING DEAD-ish (note--That is not a spoiler!!! I said "-ish"!) genre then sci fi

If I were them, and given the near exhaustion/ TV over exposure of that other genre, I would have just left out the whole idea and wrote in something else to take the story to the same 'end point'

---------------
I shall now watch the show with far less enthusiasm--don't see how it could ever hope to surpass BSG in the way OM was referring to if they continue down this route :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to disagree. The way it unfolds is nothing like TWD. Personally I think the way the authors took the story is rather clever - and since the authors are also producers and are vetting and accepting/rejecting the scripts I doubt they will wander far from it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have to disagree. The way it unfolds is nothing like TWD. Personally I think the way the authors took the story is rather clever - and since the authors are also producers and are vetting and accepting/rejecting the scripts I doubt they will wander far from it.

I said it was TWD-ish as in same genre--or at least sounds like it
with the human/slime interactions written in that spoiler link!

Why not just keep it "pure" scifi? I could deal with something involving the goo like an industrial accident, but the extent it seems to go to sounds more like horror

i'll just wait and see, though now my excitement for the show has been dampened

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The spoiler link stuff IS pure sci-fi. It is:

A sort of molecular "bio-programmer" that is not biological in and of itself. And it follows specific rules and indeed over the course of the books its entire operation cycle is depicted. It was sent by its creators across space to worlds where it converted the biomass into kind of a factory to build the components and launch the rings. It's actually a pretty hard sci-fi concept, and resembles the scenario in the book "Code of the Lifemaker", where Saturn's moon Titan is turned into an alien factory by a damaged factory ship in the distant past.