THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX 'shock release' on NETFLIX

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just saw the trailer. It's too gorey for me. I hate GORE! DID I mention I Hate GORE? Ugh not for me thanks. I'll pass on this.

Yes, and it is VERY gory and squirm inducing. Also its a stupid story if you are looking for science fiction.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yes, and it is VERY gory and squirm inducing. Also its a stupid story if you are looking for science fiction.
I think hollywood needs to collapse before anything creative comes out. I for one don't see streaming being the solution for creative content. Infact,I see it becoming worse, before it becomes better as you are just giving people to write whatever they want without any creative input. It's really off putting. It's as if hollywood thinks that shock value will sell.

That is why scifi has already been an eclectic genre. It was NEVER meant to be accessible to the "mainstream". Like every scientific group and science-oriented film, it presents things in scientific terms and bases it's fiction on actual scientific principles. If it does not, it may not qualify as science fiction. This film is one of those which do not qualify. Science fiction dumbed down is no longer scientific.

This is why I haven't even bothered with this film. From all accounts it's unintelligible. Viewers shouldn't have to work to figure out what the hell is going on.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is why I haven't even bothered with this film. From all accounts it's unintelligible. Viewers shouldn't have to work to figure out what the hell is going on.

In this film, even if you DO do the work and squint very strongly and have a few shots of 90Proof something, you will still not find the story.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Besides the mixing of males and females in combat and battalions as equals, it looked to me like a future version of REAL boot camp like the one I went to. Not like the 21st century "boot camp" which gives you stress cards and provides actual safe spaces. Also, live fire exercises in training against other recruits? Not ever. :) The decorum and demeanor of the soldiers was spot on.

that's what i mean

they based on an extension of their limited -perhaps intentionally limited, as in being smug about it- perspective of military trng as it was 40 yrs ago

and the 'stress cards', and other chicken out stuff went away with 9/11. instead trng became more rigorous and combat oriented, even for the air force :icon_e_surprised:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I just saw the trailer. It's too gorey for me. I hate GORE! DID I mention I Hate GORE? Ugh not for me thanks. I'll pass on this.

i think most of gore was in small enough amounts that it all probably fit in the trailer

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
that's what i mean

they based on an extension of their limited -perhaps intentionally limited, as in being smug about it- perspective of military trng as it was 40 yrs ago

and the 'stress cards', and other chicken out stuff went away with 9/11. instead trng became more rigorous and combat oriented, even for the air force :icon_e_surprised:

No they didn't! My neighbor's son is in active duty Army and he has not even been out of boot for a year and he got a stress card as did all the recruits in boot. There was also "Time Outs", where they could go to a safe space/room and "decompress" when they felt discouraged. He is in active duty deployment right now.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the story was pretty simplistic

1-ppl on a space station trying to find a way of generating power for earth

2- some critics on earth have issues wit this just as some ppl had issues with the LHC experiment in switz. warn of time continuity issues, black hole creations or universe rifts -like the kind Kaiju come through (CLOVERFIELD) and aliens (10 cloverfield lane)

3- the experiment won't work. then it is fixed used and causes a rift, a spatial displacement to a parallel universe. this seems to have caused 'accidents' wit the interaction of organic and non organic material sometime in the jump- similar to those 'transporter' accidents we have seen in other shows

4- The kaiju from CLOVERFIELD is seen on Earth (the crew's earth) as having entered NYC and on its rage run. while no apparent problems, other then ww3, are occurring in the parallel universe earth

5-the machine is used again. this causes the station break up (the station is called Cloverfield Station btw) and only 2 ppl survive re-entry to the original earth

6-time issues were also obviously created as we see in 10 cloverfield lane, where the scenario appears to be happening in our time with no Kaiju but an alien invasion brought on by a rift or some other action that attracted them (like Vulcans to earth after warp test)

------------------------------------------------------
is it a great movie? nope, said that already, only said it was 'entertaining'

and movies and shows today are made solely for entertainment and potential money making purposes. nothing is made for altruistic reasons to appease small groups of highly STEM minded viewers :) sorry, guess those guys dont spend enough money with all of their piracy and what not

now maybe if they paid to go see a movie they did like, or subscribe to a tv service for a show they liked in numbers of financial significance, then the studios would make more "geek" sci fi films, those of which currently only seem to play on science channel and on Smithsonian's streamer?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
No they didn't! My neighbor's son is in active duty Army and he has not even been out of boot for a year and he got a stress card as did all the recruits in boot. There was also "Time Outs", where they could go to a safe space/room and "decompress" when they felt discouraged. He is in active duty deployment right now.

the 'stress card' is an urban legend based on the navy's limited testing of a similar card in the 90's. and I assure you, my daughter just went to basic and they issued no such thing. they are still only allowed to use the phones once a week and then get other privileges back as they earn them as a unit

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stress-cards/

sounds like you-or at the least your neighbors, may be a victim of the 'war story' effect that many ppl like to tell to those close to them to heighten their otherwise mundane experiences in the military

the ppl who tell them were in turn victims of being believers in the 'hollywood effect' and believed that the military would be like they saw on full metal jacket or some other piece of fantasy. when they found out it was not, they compensate by telling stories.

a lot of these ppl who do not stop this, end up escalating, until, after discharge go to the VA with huge claims not supported by documentation and even end up getting arrested for fraud attempt

"stolen valor" phenomena is of a similar related strain of "war story" that also can get one arrested

heisenberg

Earl Grey
In this film, even if you DO do the work and squint very strongly and have a few shots of 90Proof something, you will still not find the story.
the 'stress card' is an urban legend based on the navy's limited testing of a similar card in the 90's. and I assure you, my daughter just went to basic and they issued no such thing. they are still only allowed to use the phones once a week and then get other privileges back as they earn them as a unit

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stress-cards/

sounds like you-or at the least your neighbors, may be a victim of the 'war story' effect that many ppl like to tell to those close to them to heighten their otherwise mundane experiences in the military

the ppl who tell them were in turn victims of being believers in the 'hollywood effect' and believed that the military would be like they saw on full metal jacket or some other piece of fantasy. when they found out it was not, they compensate by telling stories.

a lot of these ppl who do not stop this, end up escalating, until, after discharge go to the VA with huge claims not supported by documentation and even end up getting arrested for fraud attempt

"stolen valor" phenomena is of a similar related strain of "war story" that also can get one arrested
Dumped by Netflix lol told you that this way of doing business is not sustainable.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dumped by Netflix lol told you that this way of doing business is not sustainable.

The movie was okay, but it was not related to Cloverfield's story. Yeah, there was an attempt to do that, but it was a fail. I can't believe that they were even THINKING of releasing it in theaters. Just lol! It was not at all worthy of the big screen.

So, Dumped-to-Netflix is the new Direct-to-DVD. :netflix::smiley-laughing021: