THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX 'shock release' on NETFLIX

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
"Shock release" guess that is some kind of millennial term...

the below article uses the more boring and normal 'surprise release'

and as it states, this kind of no notice release is only possible with streaming services

seems the TPTB's previously were promoting the film to be a standard theatrical release, but someone decided to 'shock release' it on netflix right after the superbowl instead

whatever, cool with me

watching it now; it does have actual science in it. particle accelerators, higgs-bosuns, world wide free energy production, multi dimensions, etc,etc

it is supposed to explain/tie up the previous CLOVERFIELD and 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE

This time with no shaky cam, smart phone footage or some semi psychotic survivalist running a young woman off the road and kidnapping her to save her life

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/4/1...ox-trailer-j-j-abrams-netflix-super-bowl-2018

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
update

it was actually pretty good!

cant remember if in CLOVERFIELD we ever saw the actual creature. you do in this one---to me it looks a lot like japanese xxxx. it came into our world through a dimension rift--thanks Higgs Bosun :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
uuuh that was a complete spoiler there yongi ,,,Not sure I want to watch it now ,,,

:nono:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
update

cant remember if in CLOVERFIELD we ever saw the actual creature. you do in this one---to me it looks a lot like japanese xxxx. it came into our world through a dimension rift--thanks Higgs Bosun :)

Yes, we saw the actual creature in Cloverfield, up close.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes, we saw the actual creature in Cloverfield, up close.

yeah couldn't remember, distracted by the 'blair witch' style of filming

10 cloverfield ln is a part of this as well. though diff creatures

i really hope you guys watch this, it could be interesting to discuss

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am getting ready to watch this right now. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, watched it. It's probably a good idea they did not release this theatrically because it really makes little sense. Like all Abrams movies in space, this is without any real science or logic or rational thought. It does nonsense beautifully though. Great visuals, convincing space station set, cool looking graphics and slick camera angles, but very thin on story. The little story there was made no sense at all, and I really am not seeing any sort of backup for Cloverfield in this. At least it is no longer plausible.

Is Abrams the only guy out there making movies who is able to RETROACTIVELY destroy films that came before it? He did it with the 2009 Star Trek movie, and with both the ones that came after. He also has destroyed the coolness of Cloverfield with this movie. IMdB is ripping it to shreds, and the viewers are calling it stupid already. It does LOOK good. There are so many issues with it, I think discussion will help. :) Things I did not like:

• Why would the accelerator be in space, and why was it linear and not circular? Why were they mentioning Higgs-Boson when the predicted behavior of the Higgs-Boson (which probably does not exist) would never allow for trans-dimensional shit to happen? How was Higgs-Boson going to be able to solve the world's energy crisis, and why was there a crisis?

• Why was the ONLY Asian on the ship the only one who could not speak English and had to have subtitles? Also, why did the others speak to her in English sometimes, and in her language in others? Felt like a Chinese insertion of a character because they paid for the film. It made no sense, and when she died there was no impact like there should have been.

• Why were the personnel from the other ship in the walls if they just shifted dimensions? Why was the gyro and the worms in the Russian guy? Why did his eye change direction?

There is tons more wrong...but I will leave that to you guys. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
uuuh that was a complete spoiler there yongi ,,,Not sure I want to watch it now ,,,

There is no monster in this movie. It briefly appears at the end, but no monster has anything to do with what happens in this movie. It's like a mish mash of stories and scenes and dilemmas, and none of it seems tied together. The main premise of the film is nebulous and foggy and makes no scientific sense. BUT, it's visually beautiful.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Why would the accelerator be in space,

One of the crew said that it was thought to be too unpredictable -no doubt a concern from non scientist politicians-to use on earth

the Higgs-Boson (which probably does not exist) would never allow for trans-dimensional shit to happen?

thats why it is science fiction, not science fact :) but hey, i get it. now you understand my frustration with inaccurate or just wrong, history films/tv

How was Higgs-Boson going to be able to solve the world's energy crisis, and why was there a crisis?

i was wondering the same? how would it generate energy? was it some sort of 'zero point' deal? they said nothing on this. The energy crisis the planet was having was just an extension of the current one. Of course, this earth they are from could always be another earth where things like fracking the shale was never discovered.

also speaks against-in real time-the big talk of alt energy like solar and wind, geo thermal for wide scale use doesn't it?

Why was the ONLY Asian on the ship the only one who could not speak English and had to have subtitles? Also, why did the others speak to her in English sometimes, and in her language in others? Felt like a Chinese insertion of a character because they paid for the film

well thats just racist!!!

kidding--who the F knows..effect maybe? Zhang Ziyi does speak english quite well so its not a actor thing

• Why were the personnel from the other ship in the walls if they just shifted dimensions? Why was the gyro and the worms in the Russian guy? Why did his eye change direction?

i think what they were trying to get at was some kind of distortion/re-arrangement- mis rearrangement of organic and non organic matter. kind of like Trek transporter incidents, or other sci fi when tech goes wrong and human pain ensues. the distortion caused the worms to go into the russian as well as the gyroscope (remember he was played up/intro'd as the crew member we are supposed to hate). so, the worms are what he is talking to and supposedly moving his eye (?)

other thing that i noticed and did read elsewhere

this movie is about 20 yrs from know. the CLOVERFIELD and 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE incidents happened, apparently at the same time as CLOVERFIELD'S setting

Giving us a time problem.

BUT the guy we see raving on the tv news about why the Sheppard should not be used was that it could cause dimensional shifts/displacements/occupation of same time space by two or more dimensions AND these could happen not just in their time but in other times as well

so, we then have the earth being attacked by the creatures in 2028 AND 2008. also, diff creatures. the godzilla looking ones and the smaller alien type ones. perhaps one dimension's earth is inhabited by aliens? only JJ knows....

in a scene towards the end of CLOVERFIELD, we see footage not taped over of the dead guy and his girl on a ride at the beach. in the background, out to sea we see a ship and then a capsule type thing crashing into the water. it has been id'd (by 'someone'-- JJ being coy?) as the escape pod from the cloverfield that we see at the end of this movie. this then means that the crew not only make it to earth but went back 20yrs in time to either their earth or another.

also, it was stated many times, but it seems many people also missed a small, but important point; the space station is called CLOVERFIELD the particle experiment is called the Sheppard.

now, as you should know by now, that when i say a sci fi ?(and you cant say this isn't sci fi--even though the science may be wrong/off, at least they discuss science and the principles of the machine and the station's operation) movie is "good" i mean entertaining/enjoyable. not 'good' as in it is worthy of a spot on the science channel

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
, but no monster has anything to do with what happens in this movie.

it is the beast that is destroying the city that the husband is in. didn't you see the ting's shadow in the smoke, i think it was when he found the girl...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and I really am not seeing any sort of backup for Cloverfield in this

the space station's name is CLOVERFIELD the events in CLOVERFIELD were caused by the Cloverfield's paradox event

among other things about JJ is that he tells his stories non lineally . LOST and FRINGE speak to this habit of his

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the space station's name is CLOVERFIELD the events in CLOVERFIELD were caused by the Cloverfield's paradox event

among other things about JJ is that he tells his stories non lineally . LOST and FRINGE speak to this habit of his

He doesn't even tell stories. He tells parts of stories, of different stories all going on at the same time and nothing moves forward. I distinctly heard them call the station the Sheppard (or is that just the accelerator?). Both Lost and Fringe were not on my watchlist for the same reason. :) I need solid storytelling as the foundation of anything I watch, and JJ Abrams seems incapable of delivering that in my opinion.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it is the beast that is destroying the city that the husband is in. didn't you see the ting's shadow in the smoke, i think it was when he found the girl...

Perhaps, but you just don't get that feeling in the story. The monster at the end did not convey any connection to me and neither did the little girl. Also, the original attacks were in 2008 so what is going on here?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
now, as you should know by now, that when i say a sci fi ?(and you cant say this isn't sci fi--even though the science may be wrong/off, at least they discuss science and the principles of the machine and the station's operation) movie is "good" i mean entertaining/enjoyable. not 'good' as in it is worthy of a spot on the science channel

This is not scifi. :) If you invoke science, you better be using it. They specifically mention the Higgs-Boson particle, and they say it will solve the world's problems. Then you have the scientist saying that the experiment can "open dimensions" and such. NONSENSE! Just because they use a known term or two, and throw in some ridiculous fantasy element does not make it science. JJ Abrams and his writers and associates NEVER get that part of it right. It would help if they like...asked some scientists for advice, yeah?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
update

We saw much more of the monster and also the mini monsters dropping off of it. Have you seen the original? If so, you won't be able to understand how this movie is supposed to line up with it. I liked the idea that this was perhaps a scientific experiment gone awry, and not a space creature who somehow appeared through a rift created by a Higgs-Boson particle :facepalm:.

I have become so jaded by JJ Abrams that now I have to think twice before even attempting to watch his garbage. He is a hack, even if he knows how to make things sparkly and explodey. Don't we already have Michael Bay for that?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the Sheppard (or is that just the accelerator?)

the station is the CLoverfield, the Sheppard is the accelerator

"As the Cloverfield Station (yes, that’s what it’s called) disappears from NASA radars"
https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...cloverfield-paradox-lands-with-a-thud/552347/

at 1:41, withthe screen on the requisite bad robot spot, the announcer states 'onboard the station is the shepard accelarator'

and then at about 7:00 you see a close up of the accelerator, on its side is the name 'shpd-17'

they spoke on this several times in the film 'cloverfield station' 'the shepard' ' shepard accelarator the part of this station not working'

are you sure you watched the film or just read a review? :) :shame:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
won't be able to understand how this movie is supposed to line up with it
'its pretty basic actually; the 'paradox' caused by the experiment on the 'cloverfield' station that went wrong. the exp gone wrong is of course a play on the real world unfounded fear of the large hadron collider. the guy in the interview on the news show, is listing much of the same fears that real life critics of the LHC have expressed in the past

CLOVERFIELD is a film where the camcorder footage is being viewed, by someone, at some point in the future after being found in the blasted ruins of NYC, "in the area formerly know as central park" i believe is what was stated

surely JJ is 'moohahha-ing' to himself with his self acclaimed cleverness and is planning more films based on these 3 and the twisty way he tells his tales. his self awarded accolades must sometimes even overwhelm himself--maybe

like i said, the film was entertaining and watchable

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have become so jaded by JJ Abrams that now I have to think twice before even attempting to watch his garbage. He is a hack, even if he knows how to make things sparkly and explodey. Don't we already have Michael Bay for that?

agree

JJ is a person whose talents should have been limited at making tv shows and then he should have been forced to go on a lifelong retreat to Bhutan, sans camera equipment

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is not scifi. :) If you invoke science, you better be using it. They specifically mention the Higgs-Boson particle, and they say it will solve the world's problems. Then you have the scientist saying that the experiment can "open dimensions" and such. NONSENSE! Just because they use a known term or two, and throw in some ridiculous fantasy element does not make it science. JJ Abrams and his writers and associates NEVER get that part of it right. It would help if they like...asked some scientists for advice, yeah?

hey, now you feel my anger towards misappropriated history being used in such over amalgamating and anachronistic ways it could make one's head spin off!!

but we dont get to label what the industry calls stuff. this was fiction, with a science background using elements of action and some horror/comedy