THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX 'shock release' on NETFLIX

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the original attacks were in 2008 so what is going on here?

the paradox was said (by the dude played by Donal Logue in the tv interview being watched on a tablet by a crewman) to be capable of dimension issues across space and time

digging into JJ's love of time travel, flashbacks/forwards (trek,lost and fringe) I would guess that this would be his rationale

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I need solid storytelling as the foundation of anything I watch, and JJ Abrams seems incapable of delivering that in my opinion.

thats because you are a S.T.E.M minded person. nothing wrong with that of course and it is no insult. you are just wired to like different things

JJ is a 'whatever blows in on the wind' minded person who plays fast and loose with anything and everything at his disposal
regardless of... anything (yes,that is an insult to him)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the station is the CLoverfield, the Sheppard is the accelerator

"As the Cloverfield Station (yes, that’s what it’s called) disappears from NASA radars"
https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...cloverfield-paradox-lands-with-a-thud/552347/

at 1:41, withthe screen on the requisite bad robot spot, the announcer states 'onboard the station is the shepard accelarator'

and then at about 7:00 you see a close up of the accelerator, on its side is the name 'shpd-17'

they spoke on this several times in the film 'cloverfield station' 'the shepard' ' shepard accelarator the part of this station not working'

are you sure you watched the film or just read a review? :) :shame:

I watched the entire film. :) There was just so much going on and my brain was looking for the spine of the story and there just wasn't one. We started with the news of the year, with the reports of war and such, then we are in the car with the couple and then we spend the rest of the time on a space station (yes, the Cloverfield). The accelerator was the device carried on the Cloverfield, and it was supposed to be an accelerator. That is where all science went out the window. The bulk of the movie centered nowhere, and had one story about the lead female astronaut and her family, then the Russian agent, and the Russian patriot, and the random tech guy (that whole arm thing was just out of left field). The little breaks trying to create tension with the damaged spinning station, and the whole water thing with Tam where she was blown into space was not impactful. They started killing off characters, but I was not invested in any of them. The female astronaut's husband on the ground in the burning city did not communicate "there is a monster tearing everything up". That is because they talked about China and Russia planning to invade western Europe on the ground.

I watched it, but it just didn't fill me up at all.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
'its pretty basic actually; the 'paradox' caused by the experiment on the 'cloverfield' station that went wrong. the exp gone wrong is of course a play on the real world unfounded fear of the large hadron collider. the guy in the interview on the news show, is listing much of the same fears that real life critics of the LHC have expressed in the past

CLOVERFIELD is a film where the camcorder footage is being viewed, by someone, at some point in the future after being found in the blasted ruins of NYC, "in the area formerly know as central park" i believe is what was stated

surely JJ is 'moohahha-ing' to himself with his self acclaimed cleverness and is planning more films based on these 3 and the twisty way he tells his tales. his self awarded accolades must sometimes even overwhelm himself--maybe

like i said, the film was entertaining and watchable

Yes, on the large hadron collider, because hardly anyone knows what it does or what it is supposed to do. They just say the name of it and automatically that means it is super high tech and will be the source of future fusion energy and warp drive and transporters and stuff. Or, it will open a rift and swallow the earth and the solar system into the other side of a black hole and spit us out in another dimension an' sheeyat.

This "twisty way he tells his tales", it works ONCE (Lost), but then it's just a one-trick ploy. Like BSG or Farscape. It certainly does not work in scifi.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This "twisty way he tells his tales", it works ONCE (Lost)

yeah i know i get a lot of grief for it, but i did like LOST quite a bit

it was the 'one trick pony-ness' of it, I think

FRINGE was ok but it was only 3 seasons if i remember right

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
with the Shepard

what would you speculate-given the limited amount of info on it- was the intended way of its energy creation?

is it some kind of zero point thing or something else?

thxs

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yeah i know i get a lot of grief for it, but i did like LOST quite a bit

it was the 'one trick pony-ness' of it, I think

FRINGE was ok but it was only 3 seasons if i remember right

Shocked-monkey-reaction.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
with the Shepard

what would you speculate-given the limited amount of info on it- was the intended way of its energy creation?

is it some kind of zero point thing or something else?

thxs

That's the thing...there is no science to latch onto. This accelerator was supposed to somehow generate power by creating a Higgs-Boson particle or a solid beam of them (I think). The theorized behavior of a Higgs-Boson in the Standard Model is completely neutral. It (hypothetically) has no spin, no charge and no "color change". It is supposed to decay into other subatomic particles almost instantly after being created. Because I know that, what I saw in this movie made no sense at all to me. If they were trying to create a singularity, then the whole accelerator in space makes no sense because the singularity would be produced (if they had the power) on the station itself, not the earth, and the station would instantly be consumed by it. Again, knowing the science makes this fake shit seem silly.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If they were trying to create a singularity,

was the 'experiment' in SGA where McCay opened up into another dimension to 'steal' power from that universe theoretically something that this device could do? how about in JJ land? i mean he makes the impossible, possible, right? :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Again, knowing the science makes this fake shit seem silly

again, i'll square that with my frustrations on history based entertainment

you can take so much-better for ppl to get some exposure to the history-or the science-but then they get to the point of too much bs and your tolerance begins to tip

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just remember Abrams and Orci were the geniuses who in Star Trek Into Darkness told us that Cold Fusion is used to prevent volcanic activity....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just remember Abrams and Orci were the geniuses who in Star Trek Into Darkness told us that Cold Fusion is used to prevent volcanic activity....

Exactly. Why even present any sort of scientific-sounding framework if you are going to mis-apply it? Next, they will be telling us how chlorophyll in human cells secretes pituitary hormone that reacts with our gills so we can digest protein.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

yeah, because it's ...cold...."duhhh" :shame: :biggrin:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Exactly. Why even present any sort of scientific-sounding framework if you are going to mis-apply it? Next, they will be telling us how chlorophyll in human cells secretes pituitary hormone that reacts with our gills so we can digest protein.

like i said, its just entertainment

sure, i would like it if they could make sci fi and history (and war/military, cop, medical, etc) movies and shows accurate AND entertaining for the majority (we are the minority in this) who wants laughs, explosions, hot chics and 'pew-pew'

but if they only made the stuff to those high standards of yours for sci fi and mine for history, not much would get made, would it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

sure, i would like it if they could make sci fi and history (and war/military, cop, medical, etc) movies and shows accurate AND entertaining for the majority (we are the minority in this) who wants laughs, explosions, hot chics and 'pew-pew'

but if they only made the stuff to those high standards of yours for sci fi and mine for history, not much would get made, would it?

That is why scifi has already been an eclectic genre. It was NEVER meant to be accessible to the "mainstream". Like every scientific group and science-oriented film, it presents things in scientific terms and bases it's fiction on actual scientific principles. If it does not, it may not qualify as science fiction. This film is one of those which do not qualify. Science fiction dumbed down is no longer scientific.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

How would you feel if a "military" movie is made which shows soldiers wearing green spandex instead of camo utilities, high top sneakers, using hunting rifles, and talking with their platoon in a huddle about making a touchdown at the enemy camp? Even Starship Troopers followed proper military protocols and was a pretty damned good portrayal of what a futuristic boot camp would look like and be run. You would be pissed and would roll your eyes because you are a real military man. Science oriented people are equally as dumbfounded when confronted with sci-fantasy nonsense trying to pass itself off as science.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
How would you feel if a "military" movie is made which shows soldiers wearing

i have already shared m opinions on that MANY MANY times. regardin many shows and movies. I think Ihave even irritated some ppl with this! :)

and it isn't just the obv-like your example would be. but even the smaller things. like with the new ACU series of uniform and how hollywood always insists on showing soldiers /marines wearing it with the collar up

same with history stuff. especially when they do do much amalgamation of events and characters and the anachronisms

dont "force" me into an opposing postilion on this cause it aint gonna happen :) i am with you, i know the stuff isn't real

in sci -fi, or those products which claim the title, why do you think I pose questions in the threads, asking for what actual scientific principle you or anyone, thinks the TPTB's are trying to attach to or make an exaggerated use of, in some of this stuff?

like in CLOVERFIELD PARA.---I know that the device they have, with what it is claimed the tech to be derivative of from actual science, CANNOT make time slips or universe jumps, etc.

This is WHY I AM ASKING to those of you who may know, "what are they connecting it to? what are they basing it on?"

None of the stuff can exist without even the smallest connection to reality/current science

take the EXPANSE. obviously the drive systems of the ships they use does not exist now, but it is derivative of some type of current actual theory, yes?

And how could anyone claim that a current science or theory WOULD never develop into being able to achieve things that are not considered now? Even science is subject to the law of unintended consequences. That is why it is the Fictional/imaginative portion of the sci fi entertainment

So I ask, what are the writers basing this stuff on? I can tell you what actual weapon, uniform or policy of the Army that tptb's using from the military. the stuff is either basing their exaggeration/misuse on, or just their plain old misconception of things. So what are these "sci fi" ppl making connections to?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Starship Troopers

their portrayal was a progression from what current Hollywood misconceptions of military training is.

Most of those beliefs being based on misunderstandings or "We know it all, not going to ask the military if we are correct" actions then being put through the imagination generator of what they think military training would be like in "x" number of years as evolved from a flawed beginning (that being their having current military methods wrong)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
their portrayal was a progression from what current Hollywood misconceptions of military training is.

Most of those beliefs being based on misunderstandings or "We know it all, not going to ask the military if we are correct" actions then being put through the imagination generator of what they think military training would be like in "x" number of years as evolved from a flawed beginning (that being their having current military methods wrong)

Besides the mixing of males and females in combat and battalions as equals, it looked to me like a future version of REAL boot camp like the one I went to. Not like the 21st century "boot camp" which gives you stress cards and provides actual safe spaces. Also, live fire exercises in training against other recruits? Not ever. :) The decorum and demeanor of the soldiers was spot on.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
hey, now you feel my anger towards misappropriated history being used in such over amalgamating and anachronistic ways it could make one's head spin off!!

but we dont get to label what the industry calls stuff. this was fiction, with a science background using elements of action and some horror/comedy
I just saw the trailer. It's too gorey for me. I hate GORE! DID I mention I Hate GORE? Ugh not for me thanks. I'll pass on this.