Terra Nova catch up rewatch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So I gather that this show is still just plain awful and I should not give it a second chance. Is that a correct assumption?

No, I think it actually deserves more than just a cursory glance. Thing is, this show is serialized like SGU was and that means you cant just jump in at any time. I found out by doing this rewatch. It seems WAY more cohesive when you see all of it. But still, there are some elements in it that are very off-putting. Awful? I wouldn't use that word myself...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, the teen daughter and soldier boy romance is clearly an appeal to the "Twilight" demographic. Just one more example of how this show is trying to be all things to all people. I don't think that is a wise choice as it seldom seems to work in the long run for shows.

At any rate, I still think they'll probably have soldier boy turn out to be a Sixer spy or something like that. He's wayyyyyyy too squeaky clean and polite. There's definitely something going on there.

Im thinking something like that too. The other banished soldier who murdered the other soldier with the dinosaur for "money" (still cant get over facepalming with that) was a surprise to me. Why not the teen soldier boy?

S

Stonelesscutter

Yeah, the teen daughter and soldier boy romance is clearly an appeal to the "Twilight" demographic. Just one more example of how this show is trying to be all things to all people. I don't think that is a wise choice as it seldom seems to work in the long run for shows.

At any rate, I still think they'll probably have soldier boy turn out to be a Sixer spy or something like that. He's wayyyyyyy too squeaky clean and polite. There's definitely something going on there.

I was thinking the same thing about soldier boy being a spy. But then in last weeks episode it turned out that the spy was actually a female. ;)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
No, I think it actually deserves more than just a cursory glance. Thing is, this show is serialized like SGU was and that means you cant just jump in at any time. I found out by doing this rewatch. It seems WAY more cohesive when you see all of it. But still, there are some elements in it that are very off-putting. Awful? I wouldn't use that word myself...

Well I did watch up to episode four, but then I just gave up. Honestly, I just hate all the characters. There's the Intrepid Hero™, the emo teenage son, the nerdy but attractive girl and her love interest, the obligatory person who may or may not have a hidden agenda, the wife with an old flame waiting to make his move, and of course the completely dull an un-menacing enemy. Ugh. I just don't think I'll be able to stand the show when I despise every single character. And of course there's the whole "family values" thing about the whole show. And I pretty much know that every single episode is gonna end with everyone happy and family group hug or something. Gimme a frakking break. :facepalm:

I guess I'm just disappointed of what TV has to offer this fall. Once Upon A Time has been a pleasant surprise, but I miss there being a show out there which makes me completely glued to the screen and is making me watch it religiously every single week. Even Fringe has been a bit of a let down after the absolutely stellar third season. :(

G

Graybrew1

I think the show has been improving in many ways. I don't see near the drama that it used to have. I like it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
DONE! I have now watched all 10 episodes aired so far. The verdict?: MORE PLEASE.

Okay, it happened, I actually think this show deserves more praise from me than it had earned for the first 6 episodes. There are elements that were established early in the show that I didnt like at all. I still dont like the idea that money or any currency is being used at Terra Nova. But I like the dynamic between the Sixers and Terra Nova. The central theme of the Shannon Family is annoying. I am getting sick of seeing their cozy Cretaceous Condo, and I am done with the cutesy antics of Zoe. But I am liking the revelation of Skye and the closer bond between Shannon and Taylor. The soldier boy after Maddy is annoying with all his chivalry stuff, and her being 16 years old makes it creepy somehow to me.

Overall, this show is NOT awful. Its not great, but it feels a lot like Stargate/Atlantis/Mad Max to me and that is a good thing. They can make it better next season without ruining what they have already established. The character development in this show is not bad. But there is too much character interaction on an individual basis rather than the camp as a whole vs the "enemy" (Sixers and Lucas). Im gonna watch the next episodes when they return.

Fair?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think the show has been improving in many ways. I don't see near the drama that it used to have. I like it.

I like it enough to watch more when it comes out. :) I didnt before this rewatch.

G

Graybrew1

Okay, it happened, I actually think this show deserves more praise from me than it had earned for the first 6 episodes. There are elements that were established early in the show that I didnt like at all. I still dont like the idea that money or any currency is being used at Terra Nova. But I like the dynamic between the Sixers and Terra Nova. The central theme of the Shannon Family is annoying. I am getting sick of seeing their cozy Cretaceous Condo, and I am done with the cutesy antics of Zoe. But I am liking the revelation of Skye and the closer bond between Shannon and Taylor. The soldier boy after Maddy is annoying with all his chivalry stuff, and her being 16 years old makes it creepy somehow to me.

Overall, this show is NOT awful. Its not great, but it feels a lot like Stargate/Atlantis/Mad Max to me and that is a good thing. They can make it better next season without ruining what they have already established. The character development in this show is not bad. But there is too much character interaction on an individual basis rather than the camp as a whole vs the "enemy" (Sixers and Lucas). Im gonna watch the next episodes when they return.

Fair?

Very much so, OM1.

I might suggest the Terras are being used because it is in the charter for their existence. Meaning, it is tiny now, but meant to get bigger and larger society will require it. Just a thought. I am hopeful they will continue to give us more answers to our questions as the show progresses ala LOST style. ;)

S

Stonelesscutter

Are they on hiatus already??
Damn!!
I was looking forward to a new episode tomorrow.

EDIT: I just looked it up and the next episode will be on December 12th. Then on December 19th there'll be a double episode to finish the season.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Are they on hiatus already??
Damn!!
I was looking forward to a new episode tomorrow.

EDIT: I just looked it up and the next episode will be on December 12th. Then on December 19th there'll be a double episode to finish the season.

This is good! I want to see if they catch Skye. Also, I am guessing/hoping that Josh's girlfriend is going to come through on the next pilgrimage. Im really hoping that Lucas does NOT find a way to make the portal go both ways. That could bring a lot of unwanted new characters and change the dynamic in a big way that might or might not be good.

S

Stonelesscutter

This is good! I want to see if they catch Skye. Also, I am guessing/hoping that Josh's girlfriend is going to come through on the next pilgrimage. Im really hoping that Lucas does NOT find a way to make the portal go both ways. That could bring a lot of unwanted new characters and change the dynamic in a big way that might or might not be good.

I agree about the portal. That would have the same effect as those damn communication stones in SGU.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The impression I got was that Mira respects Taylor for being a hard ass. She knows how difficult it is to lead a group of people in that world. They're enemies but now Taylor understands Mira's motivations (her daughter back in 2049). They even said something about how they'd be on the same side if it was a different situation.

G

Graybrew1

The impression I got was that Mira respects Taylor for being a hard ass. She knows how difficult it is to lead a group of people in that world. They're enemies but now Taylor understands Mira's motivations (her daughter back in 2049). They even said something about how they'd be on the same side if it was a different situation.

Yes, they have made almost every character part bad and part good. That is something I like. Even the little kid is "naughty" at times. There is a redeemable aspect to most "bad" characters.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So I take it Barney needs to change occupations?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Watching this thing properly showed me two important things: This is NOT Stargate Universe style. The characters are more well developed, the story is more interesting, the effects are arguably better and spread out more evenly, and the action is more exciting. But still, part of it is too dramatic for me. The central element being this family doesnt always work in the show. Family values and homey scenes with dinner being prepared and brother and sister teasing and Zoe making toys and being cute is already old. I dont see it being necessary for the show. Still, I think it is an okay show. Not awesome, but okay. Perhaps a few notches better than Falling Skies?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
So I gather that this show is still just plain awful and I should not give it a second chance. Is that a correct assumption?

It's actually not bad. Lots of :facepalm: moments but, overall, it's watchable. I prefer the pace in the later episodes.

Bluce Ree

SGA had a one-way wormhole at the start. It wasn't that bad when it became two way. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing how the story unfolds.

Bluce Ree

So I take it Barney needs to change occupations?

Not yet. It's getting better but you never know. Someone at Fox might decide at the last minute to unleash the Soap hounds. Let's keep Barney tied to the post outside the studio for now, just in case.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not yet. It's getting better but you never know. Someone at Fox might decide at the last minute to unleash the Soap hounds. Let's keep Barney tied to the post outside the studio for now, just in case.

Makes sense, but remember that Barney needs snacks to keep him happy while he waits. And he eats live food....

Bluce Ree

Makes sense, but remember that Barney needs snacks to keep him happy while he waits. And he eats live food....

Falling Skies will be back soon as will Walking Dead. I'm sure he'll find some tasty treats there.