Terra Nova catch up rewatch.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
WAIT....what the hell is a "Terra"? You mean to tell me that they have MONEY in this place???? That is unforgivable to me. Is this nitpicking? I dont really think so. In a place where everything is provided for, you would have no theft or need for money. With the introduction of the Sixers and their establishment as a rogue with strength in strategy but weakness in resources, you have the basis for theft. But for money? Not a chance. So, how could there be a need to "purchase" a guitar and a pick for 60 "Terras"? They better tell me how money came to be in Terra Nova and how it is earned. It is incompatible with the type of government they have set up there. Am I supposed to just ignore this in favor of enjoying the moment between Josh and a guitar and his girlfriend? I am about a third of the way through Episode 3.

This is a good point that I did not consider the first time though. They are not living in a true commune are they? :rolleyes:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is a good point that I did not consider the first time though. They are not living in a true commune are they? :rolleyes:

I sorta liked the pterosaurs episode (Episode 3). I thought the idea of Terra Nova being their spawning ground and that it was chosen because it was so fertile was plausible scientifically. I liked the behavior of the reptiles. Overall an entertaining episode and the teen drama was kept to a minimum (but not absent). I liked this episode better than the last half of Episode 1-2. Im now well into Episode 4.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I am about 1/3 of the way through episode 4 and there is still way too much of the teen stuff. I dont like the idea that the husband and the Chief Science Officer are going out to violate a quarantine that is of unknown origin. They have communications...how is this happening? I dont like this part of what is happening in the show:

Untitled-1.png

FREQUENT BREAKS NECESSARY AGAIN.....

terra4.PNG

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
WAIT....what the hell is a "Terra"? You mean to tell me that they have MONEY in this place???? That is unforgivable to me. Is this nitpicking? I dont really think so. In a place where everything is provided for, you would have no theft or need for money. With the introduction of the Sixers and their establishment as a rogue with strength in strategy but weakness in resources, you have the basis for theft. But for money? Not a chance. So, how could there be a need to "purchase" a guitar and a pick for 60 "Terras"? They better tell me how money came to be in Terra Nova and how it is earned. It is incompatible with the type of government they have set up there. Am I supposed to just ignore this in favor of enjoying the moment between Josh and a guitar and his girlfriend? I am about a third of the way through Episode 3.

That also made me scratch my head. The population is just too small to even consider carrying any sort of "economy". It's basically a village. WTF is money doing there?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Yeah, the fact that they referenced a form of currency is very odd. I could see maybe bartering with someone using hard goods but why would they have a currency at this point? That makes no sense. With all their basic needs being met, food, clothing, shelter, that leaves little reason to develop currency because there wouldn't be that much of a demand for it. That also begs the all important question of what backs the currency???

See, that's the big flaw with this show, they don't explain the how's and why's of the situation.

Bluce Ree

Okay, I am about 1/3 of the way through episode 4 and there is still way too much of the teen stuff. I dont like the idea that the husband and the Chief Science Officer are going out to violate a quarantine that is of unknown origin. They have communications...how is this happening? I dont like this part of what is happening in the show:

View attachment 6418

FREQUENT BREAKS NECESSARY AGAIN.....

View attachment 6419

I've learned to skip forward through the boring teen angst parts. In doing so, I actually enjoyed some of the later episodes, even though I still feel it's an overall yawnfest. But, still entertaining enough to keep my interest. I'm actually looking forward to the next episode.

Bluce Ree

Yeah, the fact that they referenced a form of currency is very odd. I could see maybe bartering with someone using hard goods but why would they have a currency at this point? That makes no sense. With all their basic needs being met, food, clothing, shelter, that leaves little reason to develop currency because there wouldn't be that much of a demand for it. That also begs the all important question of what backs the currency???

See, that's the big flaw with this show, they don't explain the how's and why's of the situation.

Dino dung.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Yeah, that's exactly what it is because they're all relegated to living within the safe confines of the compound. Even the crops are within the safety of the compound. Also the Sixers have to live in a communal fashion to survive. I don't see how anyone could go off and stake out their own private property since they would always be surrounded by death threats ala dinosaurs.

This begs the question of what the humans expect to be able to do in relation to the dinosaurs they share the planet with. Are they going to kill off all the dino's in order to live safely?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
No Barney, no joy!

That's so they can make stuff up as they go along! ;) always a sign of poor writing IMHO. :D

Dino dung.

:lol:

Yeah, that's exactly what it is because they're all relegated to living within the safe confines of the compound. Even the crops are within the safety of the compound. Also the Sixers have to live in a communal fashion to survive. I don't see how anyone could go off and stake out their own private property since they would always be surrounded by death threats ala dinosaurs.

This begs the question of what the humans expect to be able to do in relation to the dinosaurs they share the planet with. Are they going to kill off all the dino's in order to live safely?

one big sonic blast from their sonic rifles? I agree with this question...makes me wonder too! :D

So OM1 how far did you get? or going to keep going? as I said before Hubby has already given up on the show and I watch it now to heckle when I remember to! :P (usually while doing dishes it seems:P)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I managed to make it through Episode 6 yesterday. I actually liked episodes 4 and 5 (they were watchable without much eyeroll). I noticed a few major holes:

What happened to the little girl Lela (sp?). Once she left the Sixers camp and was reunited with her brother Sam, by the next episode they were nowhere to be seen but the "box" was still there waiting to be opened. She is a little girl who is supposed to be staying with the Shannons, she has no parents, and yet she is gone from the show already?

The Sixers can communicate with 2149, so why would they need to get ammo from Terra Nova?

How can the guy who runs the bar have power in Terra Nova if it is a Totalitarian government?

If there is money in Terra Nova, then its earnings must be tied to work, but the leader Thomas ASSIGNS the work so how can this money be earned or increased if the jobs are tightly controlled? WHY would money be needed for any reason whatsoever?

I dont like the foundations of the show. I am getting a bit into the characters, but without more foundation and backstory on this place Im still on the defense and my intellectual spam filter is still popping up alerts like crazy. I will be finishing up my marathon today. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

They are using sound-based weapons, and they refer to the guns as "tranq guns". I dont see how the Sixers can have a viable camp without a hard barrier like Terra Nova has. These things are MAJOR plotholes. I am trying very hard to be objective in this rewatch, and I am watching each episode IN ORDER. Its still very Meh because of the huge plot holes, but the characters are interesting. I like the Mira character because she is mysterious. Im already bored of Zoe and especially the daughter. She keeps spouting off her science tidbits and what is it with her and soldier boy? :facepalm: Im going in now...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's so they can make stuff up as they go along! ;) always a sign of poor writing IMHO. :D

:lol:

one big sonic blast from their sonic rifles? I agree with this question...makes me wonder too! :D

So OM1 how far did you get? or going to keep going? as I said before Hubby has already given up on the show and I watch it now to heckle when I remember to! :P (usually while doing dishes it seems:P)

Episode 6. Im going to rewatch that one and then move on through to the rest of them. :)

S

Stonelesscutter

They are using sound-based weapons, and they refer to the guns as "tranq guns". I dont see how the Sixers can have a viable camp without a hard barrier like Terra Nova has. These things are MAJOR plotholes. I am trying very hard to be objective in this rewatch, and I am watching each episode IN ORDER. Its still very Meh because of the huge plot holes, but the characters are interesting. I like the Mira character because she is mysterious. Im already bored of Zoe and especially the daughter. She keeps spouting off her science tidbits and what is it with her and soldier boy? :facepalm: Im going in now...

The sixers' camp is way up in the trees where even the dinos can't get to them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That also made me scratch my head. The population is just too small to even consider carrying any sort of "economy". It's basically a village. WTF is money doing there?

GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS SHOW:

1. No pseudo-Christian religious references! No religion at all! :joy:

2. No politics or social-mirror political statements being made!:joy: (exception would be the premise that the environment was destroyed by humans)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The sixers' camp is way up in the trees where even the dinos can't get to them.

The pterosaurs episode messes with that. Then again, they werent hunting the humans they were just trying to spawn, so it is still plausible that the Sixers camp would be spared. It actually makes quite a lot of sense to do it that way. :) But then why would such a camp be stealing power from the Terra Nova grid (episode 3)? I still like the dynamic between the Sixers and Terra Nova. It made the show much more entertaining. I did not expect for their introduction to make such a HUGE difference, but the first half of Episode 1 was enough (the first time) for me to stop watching right there (which I did). After seeing the WHOLE episode, things are much different. :)

Im getting ready to watch Episode 7 now. :tealc_new001:

S

Stonelesscutter

The pterosaurs episode messes with that. Then again, they werent hunting the humans they were just trying to spawn, so it is still plausible that the Sixers camp would be spared. It actually makes quite a lot of sense to do it that way. :) But then why would such a camp be stealing power from the Terra Nova grid (episode 3)? I still like the dynamic between the Sixers and Terra Nova. It made the show much more entertaining. I did not expect for their introduction to make such a HUGE difference, but the first half of Episode 1 was enough (the first time) for me to stop watching right there (which I did). After seeing the WHOLE episode, things are much different. :)

Im getting ready to watch Episode 7 now. :tealc_new001:

I didn't catch that part of stealing power from Terra Nova. I do remember they tried to steal the powerpack from one of the vehicles.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Episode 7

I didn't catch that part of stealing power from Terra Nova. I do remember they tried to steal the powerpack from one of the vehicles.

I will have to confirm. It was in Episode 3 I think. Right now I am at Episode 7. Right off the bat they piss me off with the whole dialogue:

Hey, is that a new outfit?

Ya, 20 terras...my Mom got it....OMG! What are you doing? :facepalm:

terra72Capture.PNG

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
So I gather that this show is still just plain awful and I should not give it a second chance. Is that a correct assumption?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I will have to confirm. It was in Episode 3 I think. Right now I am at Episode 7. Right off the bat they piss me off with the whole dialogue:

Hey, is that a new outfit?

Ya, 20 terras...my Mom got it....OMG! What are you doing? :facepalm:

View attachment 6445

Yeah, the teen daughter and soldier boy romance is clearly an appeal to the "Twilight" demographic. Just one more example of how this show is trying to be all things to all people. I don't think that is a wise choice as it seldom seems to work in the long run for shows.

At any rate, I still think they'll probably have soldier boy turn out to be a Sixer spy or something like that. He's wayyyyyyy too squeaky clean and polite. There's definitely something going on there.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I liked Episode 7. :) I liked the Lucas introduction (Thomas' son). I liked the awesome fight scenes, and even the stinkweed thing with the daughter. :) Moving on to Episode 8!