Terra Nova catch up rewatch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Terra Nova.jpg

Okay, I decided to make a marathon rewatch of this show to see why I am so put off by it. I watched this episode I am getting ready to rewatch (Episode 1) and I did not make it through the first time. I later watched Episode 3 and couldn't finish that either but I haven't seen any other episodes of the show. Did I miss something that would make it okay after all? I am going to find out. After watching this one, I will briefly review it and move on to the next.

FULL EPISODE:

http://www.hulu.com/terra-nova

I do like the music in the series. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This episode is hurting my brain already. :( I am about 1/3 through, they have gone through the anomaly and hiked through the jungle to Terra Nova. The leader dude is going on about how us Humans destroyed our world with wars and greed. But wait, he is flanked by military people with shouldered rifles. I thought that perhaps the overwhelming military presence was because of the dinosaurs, but they started out pointing those rifles at the father who escaped (leaving out names for now) :facepalm:. Beautiful CGI for the ruined earth cities of the future, but the central focus is on this family and its members and their feelings about each other. That wouldn't be a bad thing if this show wasn't using science fiction elements like futuristic cities and anomalies to frame the ACTUAL story of the family and its characters. I'm already feeling ripped off like I did the first time. But I will keep going....back in a few...

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I applaud your dedication to making it through this. :thoranime12: :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I applaud your dedication to making it through this. :thoranime12: :)

Well, it had been said here that perhaps some of us weren't giving the show a chance. I figure if I watch ALL of the episodes, in order, as I did for Stargate Universe, then I could really feel I gave it a chance before trashing it. But this SINGLE EPISODE is enough to make me not want to watch any of the others, but I will. :) Im at the part where they just got their new house and Zoe remembers her daddy. But then the angsty son Josh starts in with how Dad was in prison and they had to fend for themselves. WTF? They are in a whole new world with fresh air and they just got handed a brand new house (nice, btw), and they are already talking about PAINT and RUGS? Why is the military in charge of this establishment?

Why should I find the story about somebody being in prison or who gets the bedrooms interesting in the least? I am wanting to see the whole encampment. Perhaps a camera flyby montage of the farms, the buildings, perhaps see a some hope in the form of music playing in the background or seeing an artist creating something in the background. I am seeing a totalitarian government in charge of a drab looking camp so far. I'm hoping for much better.

I am having to take FREQUENT pauses. I hope the later episodes get better. This is further than I made it the first time. Back to the show....:icon_e_geek:

SciphonicStranger

Well, it had been said here that perhaps some of us weren't giving the show a chance. I figure if I watch ALL of the episodes, in order, as I did for Stargate Universe, then I could really feel I gave it a chance before trashing it. But this SINGLE EPISODE is enough to make me not want to watch any of the others, but I will. :) Im at the part where they just got their new house and Zoe remembers her daddy. But then the angsty son Josh starts in with how Dad was in prison and they had to fend for themselves. WTF? They are in a whole new world with fresh air and they just got handed a brand new house (nice, btw), and they are already talking about PAINT and RUGS? Why is the military in charge of this establishment?

I am having to take FREQUENT pauses. I hope the later episodes get better. This is further than I made it the first time. Back to the show....:icon_e_geek:

I may be in the minority here, but I've been waiting for that kid to get chomped by a large meat-eating dinosaur for weeks now. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I may be in the minority here, but I've been waiting for that kid to get chomped by a large meat-eating dinosaur for weeks now. :P

This episode is DRAGGING for me. Josh is already on my personal menu recommendations to any meat eating dinosaur. :) I am not liking the feeling I get for this encampment. It almost feels like a cross between Jurassic Park and perhaps a high school on the grounds of a theme park? Hard to describe. They could green screen any house or college campus as the background and the story would remain unchanged. They are definitely giving us character development, but then if they want to tell this family's story, why add in dinosaurs and time anomalies?

The expression on these two faces is EXACTLY the same as mine at the moment. This is truly excruciating to me. :(

Capture.PNG

Back to it....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
YAY! The Sixers have revived my interest in THIS episode. I missed this the first time, and the Carnosaurs were interesting. Cool how one of them got the dude manning the gun. :) I like the fact that Daddy now has a gun and is a cop. But wait....is this now a Cop/High School/Jurassic Park/College Campus drama science fiction show? At least I can see watching the next episode from this one. I am liking the Sixers already. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Yes, either this or have him die by his own hand like being tangled up in the fence wire and strangling himself, slowly. Or have him drink some bad homemade hooch and swell up with primal botulism until he explodes. Or have him run out of Tampons and bleed to death on the toilet. There are myriad options for his demise. :icon_twisted:

S

Stonelesscutter

I hope this is not turning into another mindless showbashing thread coz that would be pointless.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I hope this is not turning into another mindless showbashing thread coz that would be pointless.

Dude, please read the opening post.:roll: The entire point of this thread is to catch up and comment on the show by watching each and every episode. If they suck then they suck. There are a couple of things I like about the show, and things I dont like. What point is it to not look at the WHOLE picture? Im hoping that watching the entire series episode by episode will make a case for the show. But if it doesn't, that is not my fault, is it?

Funny, when I like a show and others dont, I just disagree with what they have to say about it and continue to like it. I never get the urge to censor the other person and prevent them from saying why they dislike it.

Having said that, I am watching each and every episode from beginning to end. I so far hated the first half of the first episode, but since the introduction of the Sixers, I am liking it better. I have never seen the second episode and I am hoping I will like that. I dont WANT to hate the show, and I dont have any pre-determined agenda to hate it. I have only seen most of this episode and episode 3. Wish me luck! Or better yet, post what you like about the show. I might just agree with you. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, either this or have him die by his own hand like being tangled up in the fence wire and strangling himself, slowly. Or have him drink some bad homemade hooch and swell up with primal botulism until he explodes. Or have him run out of Tampons and bleed to death on the toilet. There are myriad options for his demise. :icon_twisted:

He is angry because daddy was not there for him for a couple of years, and then again because his girlfriend didnt come through the anomaly. I get that. But he is disrespectful and rambunctious. Now that dad is on the security force, he will be a liability because of his behavior. I hope he changes throughout the next episodes.

terraCapture.PNG

Im still watching episode one (frequent breaks necessary). It has gotten much better with the addition of the Sixers. Getting back to the show....

S

Stonelesscutter

Dude, please read the opening post.:roll: The entire point of this thread is to catch up and comment on the show by watching each and every episode. If they suck then they suck. There are a couple of things I like about the show, and things I dont like. What point is it to not look at the WHOLE picture? Im hoping that watching the entire series episode by episode will make a case for the show. But if it doesn't, that is not my fault, is it?

Funny, when I like a show and others dont, I just disagree with what they have to say about it and continue to like it. I never get the urge to censor the other person and prevent them from saying why they dislike it.

Having said that, I am watching each and every episode from beginning to end. I so far hated the first half of the first episode, but since the introduction of the Sixers, I am liking it better. I have never seen the second episode and I am hoping I will like that. I dont WANT to hate the show, and I dont have any pre-determined agenda to hate it. I have only seen most of this episode and episode 3. Wish me luck! Or better yet, post what you like about the show. I might just agree with you. :)

I wasn't inferring you were bashing the show. But after your opening post there soon were two other posts which did and that could quickly build up to a trend. I've already stopped reading the other thread on Terra Nova weeks ago specifically because of that crap and this one was looking to shape up the same way. That's why I made my comment. I don't intend to have anyone censored but I can assure you that I will shove this thread aside just like I did the other if I find the commentary to be unworthy of attention and not come back to it.

That aside, I applaude you on your initiative of watching all the episodes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wasn't inferring you were bashing the show. But after your opening post there soon were two other posts which did and that could quickly build up to a trend. I've already stopped reading the other thread on Terra Nova weeks ago specifically because of that crap and this one was looking to shape up the same way. That's why I made my comment. I don't intend to have anyone censored but I can assure you that I will shove this thread aside just like I did the other if I find the commentary to be unworthy of attention and not come back to it.

I am liking the second half of this episode much better than the first. :) I just find it odd that basically an entire army of vehicles and personnel have left the compound unprotected, taking its leader, its doctor and the whole security force just to find some teenagers who are in trouble because they didn't follow the rules. (run on sentence intentional :)). These things are difficult to excuse, but still I am watching it without nearly as much eyeroll as the first half. Im at the part where the teens are trapped in the rover and the Terra Nova army is out to save them.

SciphonicStranger

Sorry about that - I've watched every episode and the teenagers have been annoying me more than anything. I've been willing to suspend disbelief on the time travel part. :P

S

Stonelesscutter

I am liking the second half of this episode much better than the first. :) I just find it odd that basically an entire army of vehicles and personnel have left the compound unprotected, taking its leader, its doctor and the whole security force just to find some teenagers who are in trouble because they didn't follow the rules. (run on sentence intentional :)). These things are difficult to excuse, but still I am watching it without nearly as much eyeroll as the first half. Im at the part where the teens are trapped in the rover and the Terra Nova army is out to save them.

Sure there are flaws to be found as there are with any show. This particular bit you are referring to was sort of annoying to me too because the damn kids shouldn't have run off causing trouble for themselves. That's such a dumb stereotype. I was a kid too once but I never found myself in such ridiculous circumstances. Only the truly brainless ones fall in that category. Anyway. I don't look at shows analyzing every little bit of them. I watch them and if I can do so without being thrown off then it's okay for me. Therefore I can take some 'faults' for granted and enjoy the rest of it. People that can't do that but only look at shows trying to find no faults whatsoever will be left searching for the rest of their lives without ever finding what they're looking for. Personally I don't see the enjoyment in that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sure there are flaws to be found as there are with any show. This particular bit you are referring to was sort of annoying to me too because the damn kids shouldn't have run off causing trouble for themselves. That's such a dumb stereotype. I was a kid too once but I never found myself in such ridiculous circumstances. Only the truly brainless ones fall in that category. Anyway. I don't look at shows analyzing every little bit of them. I watch them and if I can do so without being thrown off then it's okay for me. Therefore I can take some 'faults' for granted and enjoy the rest of it. People that can't do that but only look at shows trying to find no faults whatsoever will be left searching for the rest of their lives without ever finding what they're looking for. Personally I don't see the enjoyment in that.

I was able to forgive that part too. At least I did not lose interest all the way out to the last part of the episode. But now I am dismayed and intrigued about the idea about the "glyphs" that Thomas' son has left by the falls as being "the keys to it all". :icon_e_wink:. "Control the past, control the future"???

terrakey.PNG

The instant that the timelines cross (the original one with the alternate one), they will annihilate each other. But that is jumping the gun. Now, I want to see more. Im off to the next episode. Overall, I will give this episode:

:daniel_new_anime012

Meh. Not horrible, not great, overall it was okay.

terranCapture.png

Brady Bunch: Jurassic Edition?

S

Stonelesscutter

I will not spoil the story by commenting on those glyphs now. ;)
I'm sure you will find some other parts that will raise your eyebrows in the coming episodes but also more things to enjoy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I will not spoil the story by commenting on those glyphs now. ;)
I'm sure you will find some other parts that will raise your eyebrows in the coming episodes but also more things to enjoy.

I am not sorry I watched this episode all the way through. I am prepping for the next one. :)

EDIT: So that was episode 1 AND 2? Okay, a premiere composed of two episodes makes sense. So, that means I have already seen the first 10 minutes of the third episode. Thats okay, the first time I shut it off after 10 minutes. This time it gets watched all the way through! I even know more about the characters and the conflicts than I did the first time around. Here we go!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
MUCH DIFFICULTY AGAIN. :facepalm:. I like it when they talk about the Sixers, I liked the part where they are out in the forest talking about why the Sixers want Thomas dead, and I even sorta liked the part with Wash telling the others how to survive in the wild. But the guy from the University? The teen thing about cleaning the toilets and the ANNOYING daughter/geek who is always teasing her brother and spouting off science tidbits needs to be eaten. The first necessary break is now, when Josh just picked up a guitar and began playing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WAIT....what the hell is a "Terra"? You mean to tell me that they have MONEY in this place???? That is unforgivable to me. Is this nitpicking? I dont really think so. In a place where everything is provided for, you would have no theft or need for money. With the introduction of the Sixers and their establishment as a rogue with strength in strategy but weakness in resources, you have the basis for theft. But for money? Not a chance. So, how could there be a need to "purchase" a guitar and a pick for 60 "Terras"? They better tell me how money came to be in Terra Nova and how it is earned. It is incompatible with the type of government they have set up there. Am I supposed to just ignore this in favor of enjoying the moment between Josh and a guitar and his girlfriend? I am about a third of the way through Episode 3.