Terminator - Genisys Movie Teaser

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The showing of the war was ok, but the utter lack of a plausible explanation of how Skynet could even exist after T2 sinks everything.

That's it, in a nutshell. :) It is no longer a continuous story. T3 messed up the continuity, and they only did it to make the film an action film with a female terminator and newly developed CGI techniques which were made available. The missing story (Skynet of the unchanged future decimating humans, and fighting the Resistance) has yet to be told. We needed to see the story of how the first and second terminators went back to the past, and how they were programmed by Skynet. How were they built? How was the Resistance fighting against them? T4 tried to do that but they ruined their chance by adding even MORE implausible stuff and giving Skynet a face and a place.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....Terminator Genisys so far is both a financial and critical bomb. On the scale of Jupiter Ascending which made a total boxoffice of 181 million against a base (before marketing and such) cost of 175 million. Following the usual "double the production budget to get the true breakeven point" logic the studios took a bath on Jupiter Ascending and look to be doing the same on Terminator Genisys.

I read the plot summary on Wikipedia and just started laughing as it is flat out illogical and incoherent (which is what the reviews are saying too). Kiss all the prior films goodbye as this one erases that whole timeline.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The way they are desperately trying to shoehorn an aged Schwarzenegger back into relevance within the story is just lame. Seriously. He gives me the creeps.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And we have a lampoon disguised as an attempt to explain the timeline:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The reviews and word of mouth on this film is keeping me from seeing it. From what I gather, the terminator guarding Sarah Connor somehow ages, and they try to explain the aging in it. This film is supposed to be a reboot, not a sequel or prequel. But it is using elements from the earlier films in the reboot to anchor it. Sorta like they did NuTrek.

I will choke it down tonight after I have eaten. :) I will review it after I watch it. Anybody already seen this?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It is indeed a "reboot" as it erases all the events of the prior movies more or less. And the result is a muddled mess of a story and a timeline that is now really screwed up. The lampoon video I posted is not far off in its assessment of the timeline issues.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
NOT GONNA WASTE MY TIME! It might get added to our heckle-worthy pile for future watching.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Saw it. Okay, first of all this movie is not as bad as people are saying it is. It is better than Terminator 4 by a longshot, and even though I would not give it the kindness of saying it is "good", it isnt horrible. And it is WAAAAAY better than tripe like Jupiter Ascending.

The issues here are when and why. They have to do a lot of time twisting and explaining to make this work the way it is supposed to. And they have done something with John Connor which pissed me off royally. I would not recommend seeing this in a theater because it is not worth the ticket. But it might be worth the bargain bin or renting it.

Hard to review it without spoiling it so I will wait until somebody else here has seen it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
NOT GONNA WASTE MY TIME! It might get added to our heckle-worthy pile for future watching.

Yep, make a place for it now in that pile. :) It is worth getting to heckle it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Saw it. Okay, first of all this movie is not as bad as people are saying it is. It is better than Terminator 4 by a longshot, and even though I would not give it the kindness of saying it is "good", it isnt horrible. And it is WAAAAAY better than tripe like Jupiter Ascending.

The issues here are when and why. They have to do a lot of time twisting and explaining to make this work the way it is supposed to. And they have done something with John Connor which pissed me off royally. I would not recommend seeing this in a theater because it is not worth the ticket. But it might be worth the bargain bin or renting it.

Hard to review it without spoiling it so I will wait until somebody else here has seen it.

See what I said? The Terminator timeline is now a complete mess.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why did you give me a Dumb, Joelist? :) Dont tell me you liked it....

John Connor as a digital terminator was an eye roll that never ended for me until the end of the movie. Although I was not getting the bad part of the movie from Arnold or his Pops terminator much, the story was convoluted and implausible. Heckle worthy. But, to each his own!
--- merged: Jul 11, 2015 at 11:44 PM ---
See what I said? The Terminator timeline is now a complete mess.

Terminator 3 and 4 messed it up, and it appeared to me that Terminator Genisys was trying to get it back on track, but largely failed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I removed it . I hit it by accident.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Genisys did far worse damage to the timeline than the prior films:

1) Forget all about all prior films, as this one wipes them out.

2) How can John Connor even exist now? Kyle and Sarah did not get together at the proper point in history. So there should be no resistance and indeed no "Connor Terminator".

3) While we're at it, how can there even be a 2017 for them to adventure in - Judgement Day would have reverted to its original date because T2 never happened.

4) Where did Pops come from (note the movie effectively said "don't ask")?

And on and on....are we sure Damon Lindelof didn't write this?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Why did you give me a Dumb, Joelist?

'Cuz we're tired of you being SO DAMNED PERFECT! We all conspired to tarnish your perfect record a little with a spot on your permanent record and Joe drew the short straw :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Genisys did far worse damage to the timeline than the prior films:

1) Forget all about all prior films, as this one wipes them out.

2) How can John Connor even exist now? Kyle and Sarah did not get together at the proper point in history. So there should be no resistance and indeed no "Connor Terminator".

3) While we're at it, how can there even be a 2017 for them to adventure in - Judgement Day would have reverted to its original date because T2 never happened.

4) Where did Pops come from (note the movie effectively said "don't ask")?

And on and on....are we sure Damon Lindelof didn't write this?

Your #4 is the biggest question of the film, and the answer is indeed "dont ask" (in so many words). Arnie tries his best to explain the time pretzel, and Kyle Reese helps him out a bit there. But they make a complete mess of the timeline and it means that they can NEVER truly stop Judgement Day because the goalposts keep changing. Stop it in this timeline, but it still happens in the next. And terminators keep getting sent back to do the same damned things. In the first movie, we saw the innocent waitress Sarah Connor turn into badass rebel because she is the mother of the savior of Mankind. In this movie, she starts out already badass and they just dump the whole backstory with the waitress.

What ruins the film is what they do with John Connor and Kyle Reese and Sarah and "Pops" at the end. Surprisingly, they made a plausible explanation for the aged Arnold in this movie, and that was not nearly a demerit for this film. Like I said, it is not as bad as the critics are making it out to be.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True #4 is the single most obvious issue. But #2 is also a biggie - the moment they left 1984 John Connor should have ceased to exist as it means he was never born (at least in that year). Also, since they erased the events of T2 Judgement Day should have snapped back to where it was before the first film - 1997. so when they went to 2017 they should have found nothing but smoking ruins and machines.

Bluce Ree

What I don't get is why do they keep jumping to a time period just before some shit supposedly happens instead of, say, back to Sarah Connor's parents and stop them from meeting? Or kill them? Or get Sarah while she's in school. So many possibilities and not one plausible reason why these other choices were neglected.

Bluce Ree

True #4 is the single most obvious issue. But #2 is also a biggie - the moment they left 1984 John Connor should have ceased to exist as it means he was never born (at least in that year). Also, since they erased the events of T2 Judgement Day should have snapped back to where it was before the first film - 1997. so when they went to 2017 they should have found nothing but smoking ruins and machines.

Ah, the abyss that are paradoxical debates. What if I went back and killed my own parents, how can I possibly exist to go back to kill my own parents? :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What I don't get is why do they keep jumping to a time period just before some shit supposedly happens instead of, say, back to Sarah Connor's parents and stop them from meeting? Or kill them? Or get Sarah while she's in school. So many possibilities and not one plausible reason why these other choices were neglected.

Skynet itself could have simply infected the world's computers as soon as the first global computer network was created by the banking system in 1985 or so. Or, when the internet first became the WWW. Or, a terminator could simply place bombs everywhere they knew Sarah would be and get her that way.

But this film goes beyond Sarah Connor and the terminator and Judgement Day by doing something utterly dumb and game-changing to John Connor. It ruins things in a big way.
--- merged: Jul 15, 2015 2:28 AM ---

You still haven’t said if you have seen this yet. Have you?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Skynet itself could have simply infected the world's computers as soon as the first global computer network was created by the banking system in 1985 or so. Or, when the internet first became the WWW. Or, a terminator could simply place bombs everywhere they knew Sarah would be and get her that way.

But this film goes beyond Sarah Connor and the terminator and Judgement Day by doing something utterly dumb and game-changing to John Connor. It ruins things in a big way.
--- merged: Jul 14, 2015 at 7:28 PM ---

You still haven’t said if you have seen this yet. Have you?

I'm still trying to forgive the friends who took me....:psychosga: