Syfy's Dark Matter(Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Anyone else bother to watch the premiere? Personally I found the story derivative and quite attenuated. I had the "secret" figured out right away. (And it's pretty easy to figure out the future twists that they are going to do with the characters.)

I'm sure there's a ton of stuff I could criticize this thing for but the truth is it didn't inspire enough interest on my part to even bother. Quite frankly I'm indifferent to whether or not I catch more of this show.

Damn! You mean I missed it?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Anyone else bother to watch the premiere? Personally I found the story derivative and quite attenuated. I had the "secret" figured out right away. (And it's pretty easy to figure out the future twists that they are going to do with the characters.)

I'm sure there's a ton of stuff I could criticize this thing for but the truth is it didn't inspire enough interest on my part to even bother. Quite frankly I'm indifferent to whether or not I catch more of this show.

Loretta Mallozzi could not produce original work if his balls depended upon it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I quickly discovered that he was into Japanese women and food, as well as pugs.

My problem was caused by the fact that some people refer to their better half that they have not married as their partner.

Yeah, what is it with that? His girlfriend/lover Akemi is DEVOTED to him. She probably assumes he is going to eventually marry her, but damn...hasnt it been like 4 or 5 years already? Perhaps he has concerns about alimony, losing what he has earned, etc.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/may-26-2015-akemi-dark-matter-and-friends/

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
haha no way is Pandorum better than Interstellar. It was another in a long line of derivative horror/slasher crap towards the end and then that ridiculous twist. But whatever. Think we'll always have very different tastes.

Watched the pilot. I need a stronger word than mediocre. There seems to be not a lot of alien exploration stuff in sci-fi these days, non-prosthetic aliens that is. Maybe it'll get better but judging from just the first episode, it's extremely meh. End twist was meh too.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
haha no way is Pandorum better than Interstellar. It was another in a long line of derivative horror/slasher crap towards the end and then that ridiculous twist. But whatever. Think we'll always have very different tastes.

Watched the pilot. I need a stronger word than mediocre. There seems to be not a lot of alien exploration stuff in sci-fi these days, non-prosthetic aliens that is. Maybe it'll get better but judging from just the first episode, it's extremely meh. End twist was meh too.

I found the pilot to be interesting, but not riveting.
It seemed a cross between SGU (the out there element), Firefly (the crew generic make-up), and a shout out to Aliens (the mega-corps being in charge of space exploration) and damn me if I did not get a farscape vibe coating the whole thing as well.
If it sticks to some fun space romp with nothing too deep and meaningful, it could work.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sorry guys but the whole "waking up with no memory on a ship in space" is Pandorum.

Pandorum. Pandorum. Pandorum.

The entire opening sequence of the show looked as if it had been taken from the movie. To claim that this isn't the case is laughable. As I said before, to call this show "derivative" would be a kindness.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, what a blatant rip off of Pandorum. Could Mallozzi and Mullie be more obvious hacks? :icon_lol:

For those who haven't seen the film here's the info on it, the plot of which resembles Mallozzi and Mullie's "original" idea a bit too closely:

1. Pandorum
    2009 film
  2. 6.8/10·IMDb
    28%·Rotten Tomatoes
    28%·Metacritic
  3. Astronauts Payton (Dennis Quaid) and Bower (Ben Foster) awake in a hypersleep chamber with no memory of who they are or what their mission might be. While Payton stays behind to monitor the radio transmitter, Bower ventures out of the chamber into the seemingly abandoned spaceship. The men quickly realize that they are not alone and that the fate of mankind hinges on what they do next.
  4. Initial release: September 25, 2009 (USA)

Saw it.

Have to agree with Ape here. Mozz and Mullie ripped off Pandorum for this movie. Its only mildly changed too! Its so blatantly done, that I can picture the two of these hacks watching Pandorum and drinking a couple of beers, and when it was over, they were like "Heeeey! We can just take that story and give it a twist, and we have our new series!"

Pandorum was much better.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It seemed a cross between SGU (the out there element), Firefly (the crew generic make-up), and a shout out to Aliens (the mega-corps being in charge of space exploration) and damn me if I did not get a farscape vibe coating the whole thing as well.
If it sticks to some fun space romp with nothing too deep and meaningful, it could work.

I got that Farscape vibe too. :) Interesting amalgam you described, but I would adjust mine to: Pandorum, dumbed down to SGU storytelling level, shot in Aliens style mixed with Firefly style. When done, brush with light coating of Farscape. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep, it's basically Pandorum in a less grim setting.

And like I said upthread - Pandorum wasn't bad but it's only a "watch once" film because it really leans on the reveals to drive the story and once you know them....well....it's done.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I got that Farscape vibe too. :) Interesting amalgam you described, but I would adjust mine to: Pandorum, dumbed down to SGU storytelling level, shot in Aliens style mixed with Firefly style. When done, brush with light coating of Farscape. :)

I think as it goes on we'll see a lot more "derivative" elements of what GF listed. It starts out as Pandorum-lite, but also has elements of the unfinished SGU storyline. Plus the hacks -- er, I mean, "writers" could (and probably will) make the crew an amalgam of Firefly/Farscape. The only difference I think will be the sleeper agent in the mix. Either that or half the crew will be legit killers while the others are good guys, etc. etc. blah blah yawn. :rolleye0014:

In my opinion, the second season of Z Nation can't get here soon enough. :moody:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You know, I could not point to anything in particular that gave me that vibe, but about half way through the ep it just sorta -felt- like that a bit.
As to Pandorum, I have never seen it so that would explain why I don't get the vibe. :P

Firefly was definiately the ship (some of the long views could be mistaken for the serenity), yet the way it moved with the quad engines could have been the dropship out of aliens (or some tau craft from 40K)
The initial wake up scenes and filmstyle screamed SGU, but done better I felt.

I dunno, I don't mind it being derivative of different styles, let's face it you can watch nearly anything made in the last 15-20 years and pick older influences, as long as M&M stick to what they are somewhat good at, basic, fun adventure shows.

Some other things.
Amanda Tapping will be directing at least one ep, and Martin Gero as well. In addition David Hewlitt will be in at least one episode, so I'll at least watch that one as well.
I am cautiously hopeful it will be ok, nothing stand out or amazing, but at least fun.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I dunno, I don't mind it being derivative of different styles, let's face it you can watch nearly anything made in the last 15-20 years and pick older influences, as long as M&M stick to what they are somewhat good at, basic, fun adventure shows.

I suppose one could make a science fiction retelling of the story of Antigone, and everyone would praise the movie on its originality.

Amanda Tapping will be directing at least one ep, and Martin Gero as well. In addition David Hewlitt will be in at least one episode, so I'll at least watch that one as well.

It will be original, if David Hewlett is playing someone other than an asshole. I would have prefered seeing Amanda Tapping in front of the camera, but producers may be offering her fewer roles as the years roll by.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I suppose one could make a science fiction retelling of the story of Antigone, and everyone would praise the movie on its originality.
Well, what views as original can often be based on someones ignorance of what came before, sure.

It will be original, if David Hewlett is playing someone other than an asshole. I would have prefered seeing Amanda Tapping in front of the camera, but producers may be offering her fewer roles as the years roll by.
No, he is a bit of an asshole in this as well apparently, but he is good at it. As for AT, I don't mind if she is in front or behind the camera, she is good at either.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
No, he is a bit of an asshole in this as well apparently, but he is good at it. As for AT, I don't mind if she is in front or behind the camera, she is good at either.

But a man's appreciation of women's bodies and fashion reaches a plateau when he is in his thirties; men my age want to see the actresses of the nineties dressed in nineties style on television.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Good thing I appreciate AT for more than just her looks then.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Regarding the plot: I have the feeling the memory wipe thing is maybe a standard procedure for them maybe. It'd make sense in a way, avoids PTSD by just avoiding the resurfacing of the past atrocities they've committed. Past grievances will be avoided. Make the crew last longer mentally.

Also, I'm gonna guess that those people were tricked into believing someone was coming to give them weapons, but it was just a trap set up by that crew or something.

I read somewhere else that the crew might have stolen something from the corporation they work for and hid it in that room. Also read the fragmented picture the android recovered is McKay, he's their handler or something? I hope they don't go for light sci-fi crap, where it's just humans only or modified humans. I really want some cool alien interactions and alien cultures. I miss the big old sprawling sci-fi universe stuff. Also hoping they don't shove in some edgy sex scene cause this's how one shows a show is mature and adult and gritty guys! Shove in a sex scene! Fuck you HBO, you overrated piece of shit.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Jeez, that looks cheesy '" Do you remember why this person wiped our memories" ................... "Because WE ARE DANGEROUS" :rolleyes: Riiiiiiiiiiiight

so cheesy and in a bad way. This is totally unrelated to a different genre but at least with Kung Fury the level of cheesiness was intentional and suppose to be funny but this terrible. Terrible acting too as well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You know, I could not point to anything in particular that gave me that vibe, but about half way through the ep it just sorta -felt- like that a bit.
As to Pandorum, I have never seen it so that would explain why I don't get the vibe. :P

For me, the lighting level and the character interaction at times reminded me of Farscape. As though it were being channeled for this in parts. You should see Pandorum and you will understand why we are calling foul. It is a darker film, slower paced and borders on space/horror.

Firefly was definiately the ship (some of the long views could be mistaken for the serenity), yet the way it moved with the quad engines could have been the dropship out of aliens (or some tau craft from 40K)
The initial wake up scenes and filmstyle screamed SGU, but done better I felt.

Yep, the ship was definitely inspired by Firefly, so much so that it was off-putting. The look of the hull was very Aliens, and the movement was like you said...perhaps a dropship from Aliens, or even the Earth Mars shuttle on Total Recall. :) I saw SGU influence all over this thing. But Firefly influence is heavy too.

Really? The rolls of scifi authors competing for exposure is probably in the thousands. Why continue to allow writers like Mallozzi and Mullie to write NEW shows? They never had a hit out there by themselves, and this thing is made the way Brad would do it. A little something borrowed, something blue, etc. Derivative is boring IMO. You get the opportunity to say "been there, done that".

Some other things.
I am cautiously hopeful it will be ok, nothing stand out or amazing, but at least fun.

They could fix it...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
For me, the lighting level and the character interaction at times reminded me of Farscape. As though it were being channeled for this in parts. You should see Pandorum and you will understand why we are calling foul. It is a darker film, slower paced and borders on space/horror.
So is Event Horizon, but I did not get that vibe.

Yep, the ship was definitely inspired by Firefly, so much so that it was off-putting. The look of the hull was very Aliens, and the movement was like you said...perhaps a dropship from Aliens, or even the Earth Mars shuttle on Total Recall. :) I saw SGU influence all over this thing. But Firefly influence is heavy too.
Sure. :)

Really? The rolls of scifi authors competing for exposure is probably in the thousands. Why continue to allow writers like Mallozzi and Mullie to write NEW shows? They never had a hit out there by themselves, and this thing is made the way Brad would do it. A little something borrowed, something blue, etc. Derivative is boring IMO. You get the opportunity to say "been there, done that".
Who out of those rolls would you recommend?

They could fix it...
Yes they could, which is why I am willing to have a somewhat open mind about it.