Syfy's Dark Matter(Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So is Event Horizon, but I did not get that vibe.

Only watching Pandorum will let you see how much this thing took from it. :)

Who out of those rolls would you recommend?

Depends on what sort of show you want. We already know the margins of Mallozzi and Mullie together. We got great Stargate from them, but Stargate is cancelled. The whole derivative cadre they had formed to give us SG-1, Atlantis and SGU gave us Dark Matter. That methodology is no longer current or necessarily profitable from what I can see. Transporter didnt even get done.

Yes they could, which is why I am willing to have a somewhat open mind about it.

Me too. THIS is fixable.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Their whole lineup got trashed on Friday night (when they did the premieres). Why SyFy keeps trying to contest Fridays will never be known - they have never been competitive on Friday nights no matter what shows they put on...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Their whole lineup got trashed on Friday night (when they did the premieres). Why SyFy keeps trying to contest Fridays will never be known - they have never been competitive on Friday nights no matter what shows they put on...

They are trying to "get it back". When BSG was aired, Scifi Channel (not Syfy) had it goin on. Stargate, BSG, Star Trek reruns, and a bunch of stuff on Friday. But then Bonnie Hammer ruined everything by sticking wrestling on Friday for years. Now, they "want to bring scifi back", and they want to revive their former Friday success. But hey, they aint got nuthin! Where is the scifi?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They are trying to "get it back". When BSG was aired, Scifi Channel (not Syfy) had it goin on. Stargate, BSG, Star Trek reruns, and a bunch of stuff on Friday. But then Bonnie Hammer ruined everything by sticking wrestling on Friday for years. Now, they "want to bring scifi back", and they want to revive their former Friday success. But hey, they aint got nuthin! Where is the scifi?

Well they ain't gonna get it back by putting up a bunch of shows that showcase various groups of hormonal teenagers who run around and do a whole lot of nothing.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

To be fair, Bonnie Hammer did not stick wrestling on Fridays, that was WWE itself, though she would have known that going in.
Besides, if you were after money, do you run stuff with a 0.3/1.5 rating, or 1.4/3.5 rating?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
My iphone wont let me go near this post . I'm on my friends computer now . I thought maybe it was being blocked somehow ...Just another stupid iphone glitch which are many ... So far I can't stand this show . I tried watching it for a second time and shut it off . One thing surprised me though . No one jumped into a closet for a quickie >>> I was sure it was gonna happen after they beat the shit out of each other ... Give it a few more eps and it will probably go that route ...

:shame: :shame: :shame:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
OMG someone gave those morons a show???? SMH!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG someone gave those morons a show???? SMH!

Yes, and not surprisingly it's highly "derivative" if you catch my drift. ;)

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Just noticed Whil Weaton (Crusher from Star Trek TNG) posted in the comments on the youtube link and it looks like it's really him as well.

I'm working on a new show called Dark Matter, which premieres next month on the network formerly-known as Sci-Fi. Here's the trailer.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Torri Higginson was in the second one, which was nice to see considering the crap fest what went on with her..............departure from SGA.
Guess that settles who in management she had the shits with.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And......946,000 and a .22 demo rating.

SyFy's Friday night lineup is getting creamed. The only show that can be called successful is Killjoys with a 1.0/.3 and that "success" has a lot to do with the show being extremely inexpensive.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Syfy has already lost it's position as a place to go for scifi before this even came on the air. If this came out at the same time as SGA, I think you would see a different set of numbers for it. It's action adventure scifi, something M&M can do quite well (if blandly to a degree). Be all our sins remembered is a great example of their level, and I don't know -any- SGA fan who does not love those pair of eps.

I don't see it getting a second season on those numbers, which is a bit of a pity because it's not actually -bad-, just vanilla.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
And......946,000 and a .22 demo rating.

SyFy's Friday night lineup is getting creamed. The only show that can be called successful is Killjoys with a 1.0/.3 and that "success" has a lot to do with the show being extremely inexpensive.
Syfy has already lost it's position as a place to go for scifi before this even came on the air. If this came out at the same time as SGA, I think you would see a different set of numbers for it. It's action adventure scifi, something M&M can do quite well (if blandly to a degree). Be all our sins remembered is a great example of their level, and I don't know -any- SGA fan who does not love those pair of eps.

I don't see it getting a second season on those numbers, which is a bit of a pity because it's not actually -bad-, just vanilla.

I don't disagree with either of you but I tend to wonder what the budget is for this thing. Personally I find it as cheaply made as Killjoys, so that could help keep it afloat for awhile longer than expected if the numbers keep tracking around the same amount. God knows they're not breaking the bank to produce it.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I don't disagree with either of you but I tend to wonder what the budget is for this thing. Personally I find it as cheaply made as Killjoys, so that could help keep it afloat for awhile longer than expected if the numbers keep tracking around the same amount. God knows they're not breaking the bank to produce it.

I would not break the bank for a show produced by either Jay Firestone or Loretta Mallozzi.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I don't doubt the show is lower budget. It is however higher budget than Killjoys.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
No, I don't think it is cheap enough to survive on those numbers.
There are only two things I think could keep it on the air past season 1.
1: It grows a larger base within the next 2 ratings runs to make it at least break even.
2: Syfy is willing to absorb it's cost as a Loss Leader in order to rebuild the trust it has destroyed with the Scifi fanbase.

Again, it's a pity because I believe the scifi on TV could really do with some vanilla action adventure scifi in order to rebuild itself from the hole it is in now.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And this week Dark Matter posts......

1.0 million and a .2 demo.

Ticked up a little although after everyone has to get glasses after trying to see the EXTREMELY darkly lit episode that may change.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
And this week Dark Matter posts......

1.0 million and a .2 demo.

Ticked up a little although after everyone has to get glasses after trying to see the EXTREMELY darkly lit episode that may change.

Wasn't this a "ship in a bottle" episode, meaning, didn't it take place entirely on the existing set and utilized just the regular cast? I was distracted when I watched it so I can't recall exactly. I only ask because if it's pulling a solid 1.0 while keeping production costs low (as they clearly are) that could mean a second season.