Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

The more I think about it the more it seems that Disney is simply kicking the can down the road. There's only one SW film in the pipeline for the next couple years and that won't even premiere until December of 2019. So basically keeping Kennedy around for another three years is a moot point. (The Indiana Jones movie has been moved back an entire year from July 2019 to July 2020.) This "extension" allows Disney to appear happy with Kennedy's performance without risking the backlash that firing her right now would bring them. The damage is done; episode #9 is already in production and Disney is committed to following through on the movie.

The sad thing is that if Kennedy were a man she would have been toast ages ago. This isn't even a question, it's a fact of objective reality. I can't wait for us to get over the whole "The Force is female!" nonsense and get back to a meritocracy when it comes to movie making and TV show production. Yes women should have equal rights but they should also have equal responsibility for the failures that happen under their leadership. And corporations like Disney, CBS and Paramount should stop protecting hack producers, both male and female, and ruthlessly expunge them for not getting results. When you reward failure you get more failure. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

*BTW, I'm fascinated by the mental evasion the Disney execs are using when it comes to the failure of SW. They keep trying to blame the failure of the franchise on the over-saturation of SW movies and claim the answer is to dial back releasing films. Yeah, cuz when something is good the last thing people want is more of it, especially in a timely fashion. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The more I think about it the more it seems that Disney is simply kicking the can down the road. There's only one SW film in the pipeline for the next couple years and that won't even premiere until December of 2019. So basically keeping Kennedy around for another three years is a moot point. (The Indiana Jones movie has been moved back an entire year from July 2019 to July 2020.) This "extension" allows Disney to appear happy with Kennedy's performance without risking the backlash that firing her right now would bring them. The damage is done; episode #9 is already in production and Disney is committed to following through on the movie.

The sad thing is that if Kennedy were a man she would have been toast ages ago. This isn't even a question, it's a fact of objective reality. I can't wait for us to get over the whole "The Force is female!" nonsense and get back to a meritocracy when it comes to movie making and TV show production. Yes women should have equal rights but they should also have equal responsibility for the failures that happen under their leadership. And corporations like Disney, CBS and Paramount should stop protecting hack producers, both male and female, and ruthlessly expunge them for not getting results. When you reward failure you get more failure. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

*BTW, I'm fascinated by the mental evasion the Disney execs are using when it comes to the failure of SW. They keep trying to blame the failure of the franchise on the over-saturation of SW movies and claim the answer is to dial back releasing films. Yeah, cuz when something is good the last thing people want is more of it, especially in a timely fashion. :icon_lol:

The type of people who make Disney profitable and make decisions are not creatives, they are beancounters. If somebody from their acquired asset Lucasfilm tells them that the next movie is about when Yoda is built by Boba Skywalker on Alderon back in the day, and Darth Solo becomes a Jedi Sith and falls in love with Padme Lightsaber, they will just shrug and say "if you say so!" and sign the budget order. They are NOT fans. They are auditors.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Bob Iger is rumored to be running for pres next time around so firing an executive female would not have gone well for his stats . They need those sjw votes even tho there a piddly group of psycho nut bars extraordinaire of nuttiness to the max !!!
Besides , no one stepped up to the plate because it is such a cluster !@#$ that no one want's to deal with it and I believe it is unfix-able anyway because the damage is done . I thought maybe Ron Howard would have been a good choice but he did Solo so maybe not ,,,

;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, you can't make this stuff up. It's now being claimed that "Russian meddling" was involved in the failure of TLJ. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-trolls-study-says-1148475?utm_source=twitter

I read that. :) Its the dumbest thing they have ever come up with! WHY would Russians bother trolling a Star Wars film? Did these trolls also stop the hordes of moviegoers from seeing the movie? The comments I have been reading are laughing like we are, noting how desperate Lucasfilm has gotten in making excuses for making shitty Star Wars films. Its a new twist on the "tiny but vocal minority" excuse. LMFAO

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I finally watched this all the way through. AWESOME critique, and entertaining to watch! Like Star Trek, Star Wars is now dead. It seems now that the most entertaining thing about Star Wars is the drama taking place behind the scenes, and the clever shade thrown at it by angry fans (like that video). Rian Johnson is the new Emperor who has to be defeated, and Kathleen Kennedy herself is like a Sith brought in to set up the failure of the entire franchise like Palpatine did to the Republic.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Seems like there is a YUUUUGE organized Star Wars fan boycott planned for Episode IX. I mean YUUUUGE like international:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...box-office-fan-boycott-backlash-han-solo-flop

https://twitter.com/hashtag/boycottstarwars?lang=en

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-cast-fix-last-jedi-mistakes/

The small group I talked to said that the goal is to make Star Wars IX the lowest opening weekend of any Star Wars film ever released. :icon_lol: They want to send a clear message to Disney and especially to Kathleen Kennedy that they are not at all pleased with Star Wars after killing off Luke Skywalker, Han, and showing us Princess Leia Poppins flying through space. You can't un-kill Han or Luke, and in IX they are going to have zombie footage of Carrie Fisher in it along with a reprisal of Lando Calrissian by Billy Dee Williams. My guess is that he will be killed off too. Whatever the case, the hashtag #boycottstarwars has gotten lots of traction, and it isn't good.

Seems like there is a YUUUUGE organized Star Wars fan boycott planned for Episode IX. I mean YUUUUGE like international:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...box-office-fan-boycott-backlash-han-solo-flop

https://twitter.com/hashtag/boycottstarwars?lang=en

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-cast-fix-last-jedi-mistakes/

The small group I talked to said that the goal is to make Star Wars IX the lowest opening weekend of any Star Wars film ever released. :icon_lol: They want to send a clear message to Disney and especially to Kathleen Kennedy that they are not at all pleased with Star Wars after killing off Luke Skywalker, Han, and showing us Princess Leia Poppins flying through space. You can't un-kill Han or Luke, and in IX they are going to have zombie footage of Carrie Fisher in it along with a reprisal of Lando Calrissian by Billy Dee Williams. My guess is that he will be killed off too. Whatever the case, the hashtag #boycottstarwars has gotten lots of traction, and it isn't good.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think the "boycott" that occurs will be organic in nature in that it will happen regardless of any pre-planning by various groups of fans. I suspect for most people it's a subconscious understanding that Star Wars is not worth getting excited about anymore and they don't really need anyone to tell them that. Sure there will be a segment of the population that shows up opening weekend because there's always a segment of the population that falls for corporate advertising. The sheep will buy their tickets in advance because that's what sheep do. They follow the marching orders of their corporate overlords.

Regardless, we all know that if this movie fails it will be the fault of a few trolls on the Internet who somehow had the ability to convince millions of ticket buyers not to go see it. Those damn trolls, they ruin everything. :rolleye0014:

roflbot (4).jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Star Wars is DEAD. And so is it's merchandise...this is a fun watch!