Star Wars Anthology films: Han Solo

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Like I care. ;)

Interesting that you liked it. Do you consider yourself a SW "fan" or did you just "go to see it"? Have you ever stood in a line for a Star Wars movie? I could see a casual viewer liking it. But a fan of the whole saga? Not really.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm more of a casual Star Wars viewer I guess.

Ok, standing alone, it was a decent movie. Enough of a story to keep it together, and awesome visuals and sound. But, like in the thread about the visceral feeling of Star Trek Discovery vs "actual" Star Trek, Solo: A Star Wars Story stained Han Solo's past, and also did the same with Lando. It's hard to explain why it was a fail, other than it went off the rails.

The real reason though is probably the massive boycott that followed The Last Jedi. :) That was way more successful than Disney wants to give credit for. They have already started using their countermeasures.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Lando barely had any story in the original trilogy. He was just a small B character. At least now he has some back story. The original character was never of interest to me, but now I think he speaks to me more. I also don't see how this movie stains Han's past.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So Lando hooking up with a machine makes him better?

I found the film boring to be honest. The fact that they chose the talent free Emilia Clarke as Solo's love interest didn't help.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So Lando hooking up with a machine makes him better?

I found the film boring to be honest. The fact that they chose the talent free Emilia Clarke as Solo's love interest didn't help.
Lando didn't "hook up" with a droid. The droid made a reference to the fact that the droid thinks Lando's got the hots for it, but that was obviously a joke. Not that the droid was joking. Lando and the droid were just "good friends" and he feelings for it because they shared a lot, not romantic feelings.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lando didn't "hook up" with a droid. The droid made a reference to the fact that the droid thinks Lando's got the hots for it, but that was obviously a joke. Not that the droid was joking. Lando and the droid were just "good friends" and he feelings for it because they shared a lot, not romantic feelings.

Most Star Wars fans took his dialogue about that to mean he was having relations with the droid.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Most Star Wars fans took his dialogue about that to mean he was having relations with the droid.
As I said, I didn't get that impression at all. And I watched this just a few days ago. "Most Star Wars fans" must be seeing things that aren't there or reading into things too much.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Solo: A Star Wars Story stained Han Solo's past, and also did the same with Lando

they had no past other then fan fiction and whatever canon had

this movie took some from each area

just because some may not agree with what was presented does not make it wrong, it just didn't match their perspective or expectations for the character's pasts they developed in their mind

neither of these e characters were EVER major ones. Han was just a means of transportation and a semi comic relief. Lando was also nothing more then a guy who owned a spaceport/mining facility

after each of their OT films, everything about them was either made because they were a fan fav, or, it was added in after

-----
for the SW's fan, there were far more relevant things brought up in the movie that had nothing to do with lando or han

issues that have been established in canon through novels and the shows like REBELS- particularly with Maul and the various crime syndicates and their activities that supported either the empire or the rebels

these are plot and story lines that could have been told without Han or Lando. "SOLO' was made and titled as such only to draw in the casual fan who would recognize his name as many casual SW's fans would not have gone to see a movie entitled "Enfys Nest and the Cloud Riders" or "Crimson Dawn:a star wars story"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
they had no past other then fan fiction and whatever canon had

this movie took some from each area

just because some may not agree with what was presented does not make it wrong, it just didn't match their perspective or expectations for the character's pasts they developed in their mind

neither of these e characters were EVER major ones. Han was just a means of transportation and a semi comic relief. Lando was also nothing more then a guy who owned a spaceport/mining facility

after each of their OT films, everything about them was either made because they were a fan fav, or, it was added in after

-----
for the SW's fan, there were far more relevant things brought up in the movie that had nothing to do with lando or han

issues that have been established in canon through novels and the shows like REBELS- particularly with Maul and the various crime syndicates and their activities that supported either the empire or the rebels

these are plot and story lines that could have been told without Han or Lando. "SOLO' was made and titled as such only to draw in the casual fan who would recognize his name as many casual SW's fans would not have gone to see a movie entitled "Enfys Nest and the Cloud Riders" or "Crimson Dawn:a star wars story"

So, let me get this straight...you are saying that the Star Wars movie named Solo: A Star Wars Story was really not about Han or Lando at all, and that Disney did NOT attempt to cash in on their popularity from the OT? Seriously? Han and Lando were fleshed out as much as they needed to be in the OT and that should have been the end of seeing Lando. Han and Leia would have not had the dismal future given to them in The Force Awakens if Abrams had continued the story instead of trying to create a badly written, highly derivative "blockbuster" film to make money from the Star Wars fanbase (which I count myself as a part of). Rogue One did none of this silly crap.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So, let me get this straight...you are saying that the Star Wars movie named Solo: A Star Wars Story was really not about Han or Lando at all, and that Disney did NOT attempt to cash in on their popularity from the OT? Seriously? Han and Lando were fleshed out as much as they needed to be in the OT and that should have been the end of seeing Lando. Han and Leia would have not had the dismal future given to them in The Force Awakens if Abrams had continued the story instead of trying to create a badly written, highly derivative "blockbuster" film to make money from the Star Wars fanbase (which I count myself as a part of). Rogue One did none of this silly crap.
You just jumped from Solo to The Force Awakens to Rogue One without good reason. This thread is about Solo. It doesn't matter what Rogue One or The Force Awakens were like. Also, in the original movies, when Han and the gang go to meet Lando, it was obvious that Han and Lando had some kind of history together, but there was no indication of what history they had. Solo gives a bit of their back story. I for one did not find it uninteresting. I wonder now how it will make me feel about Lando now when I get around to watching the original movies again.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You just jumped from Solo to The Force Awakens to Rogue One without good reason. This thread is about Solo. It doesn't matter what Rogue One or The Force Awakens were like. Also, in the original movies, when Han and the gang go to meet Lando, it was obvious that Han and Lando had some kind of history together, but there was no indication of what history they had. Solo gives a bit of their back story. I for one did not find it uninteresting. I wonder now how it will make me feel about Lando now when I get around to watching the original movies again.
Well, like I said, the movie was okay if you are a casual sort of Star Wars fan. Unfortunately, it was a bomb and lost money. The reason for that is best seen in how The Force Awakens fails where Rogue One wins. Without the OT, there is no Han or Lando. And without Canon continuity, a younger Han and Lando come off as bad knockoffs.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It needs to be remembered that the true box-office impact of a bad movie in a series is seen in the next film. The Last Jedi was just awful and that blowback manifested itself partly in Solo's bombing.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Solo gives a bit of their back story. I for one did not find it uninteresting. I wonder now how it will make me feel about Lando now when I get around to watching the original movies again.

the only things i found interesting in this movie was the story line involving Crimson Dawn and their interaction with the empire and Enfys Nest and her group being one of the original "cells" in the rebellion

also, another part of MAUL'S story is added into the mix

Han and Lando are not relevant really, they were just used for the recognition = bring in viewers = make money

their stories are non important to the over all SW's story

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It needs to be remembered that the true box-office impact of a bad movie in a series is seen in the next film. The Last Jedi was just awful and that blowback manifested itself partly in Solo's bombing.

SOLO bombed because SW's fans knew way back when it was announced, that there is no Han story to tell!

he is a comic relief character at the least, a soul mate for Leia at best

There may be no way to measure it, but I would be willing to venture that most ppl who paid to see it in theatre were not SW's fans but casual viewers drawn in by the appearance of 'the pirate guy' and the "big bear looking alien"

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Solo: A Star Wars Story was really not about Han or Lando at all,

No, my words read pretty clearly

yes, it was, on the surface about Han, but the most important (to the SWs story overall) events depicting were the crime syndicates and their interactions with either the empire or the rebellion

and, the (finally) on screen depiction of non stormtrooper Imperial soldiers--a unit which was incidentally, still partially a CLone unit (why they were used for such a shit mission on a mud planet) being sent normal human replacements, was aslo FAR MORE important then any Han and Lando story