Star Wars Anthology films: Han Solo

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I watched this movie the other day on Netflix (did not bother going to the theater). It was better than I expected. I thought the actor who played Lando did a nice job. The ending was a head scratcher, but apparently they are including the cartoon shows in the Star Wars canon now. :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I watched this movie the other day on Netflix (did not bother going to the theater). It was better than I expected. I thought the actor who played Lando did a nice job. The ending was a head scratcher, but apparently they are including the cartoon shows in the Star Wars canon now. :P

they have been adding cartoon characters/plots since Rogue 1

in that Saw Guerrara was probably the biggest addition from the cartoons

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The ending was a head scratcher,

they definitely leave it open to tell stories in the space between this and EP 4

Both actors (Alden Ehrenreich and Emila Clarke) have signed contracts for at least 2 more movies

that and there are still holes in Maul's story as well

especially, how did he go from crime boss in SOLO to wandering grey jedi in REBELS

i'd guess maybe his people ( Qi'ra?) double crossed him and locked him into that old Sith temple (??)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I still haven't seen this.

Love it or hate it. But with all the quality visuals and Star Wars sauce drizzled on it, you won't regret watching it with the missus over popcorn, but the aftertaste is not pleasant when you finish watching. You start thinking about real Han and Chewie, and the later version of Lando from the OT. They don't line up.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Love it or hate it. But with all the quality visuals and Star Wars sauce drizzled on it, you won't regret watching it with the missus over popcorn, but the aftertaste is not pleasant when you finish watching. You start thinking about real Han and Chewie, and the later version of Lando from the OT. They don't line up.

ok..but how,specifically do they not 'line up'?

what do we really know about any of the character's pasts from the OT? not much..especially Lando

and remember, i still say this movie did not "need" to be made. that could have told Han's story within another film, like maybe one about Crimson Dawn or the Hutt cartel

IMO, all three characters-Han, Chewie and Lando, are some of the most uninteresting ones from the OT

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ok..but how,specifically do they not 'line up'?

what do we really know about any of the character's pasts from the OT? not much..especially Lando

and remember, i still say this movie did not "need" to be made. that could have told Han's story within another film, like maybe one about Crimson Dawn or the Hutt cartel

IMO, all three characters-Han, Chewie and Lando, are some of the most uninteresting ones from the OT

The younger Han in Solo is not similar enough to the real Han we met in Episode IV for me to see him as the same character. A comparison is the younger Obi-Wan Kenobi played by Ewan McGregor vs the older one played by Alec Guiness. They are the same character, and they feel like different aged versions of each other. Han does not seem like the same Han we see in Episode IV (to me).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Also Lando is completely different (and the hooking up with a droid was just stupid too).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Also Lando is completely different (and the hooking up with a droid was just stupid too).

Agreed. The younger Lando in Solo does not feel at all like the later Lando we see in the OT. The Lando we see in Solo who has relations with a droid named L337 (really?), he just does not feel like the same character we see in the OT in an older version. Even the younger Yoda in the prequels still felt like the older puppet Yoda in the OT. Even the older Anakin felt like he could have become the same Darth Vader we saw in the OT. Palpatine felt like the person who would later become the Emperor in the OT.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

ok but how is he different?--quantify

and yes, the whole droid thing was just asinine, much akin to the ball-gown wearing female admiral in EP 8

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
he just does not feel like the same character we see in the OT in an older version.

well ,they both display an outlandish personality

but again, just how much of the OT's Lando did we ever see?

and then again, this character is also one that much depends on the actor.. just like Ford WAS Solo and Kelly was Dr McCoy, the persona of the actors MADE the character

they touch on this in here (Lando was in REBELS as well)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The younger Han in Solo is not similar enough to the real Han we met in Episode IV for me to see him as the same character. A comparison is the younger Obi-Wan Kenobi played by Ewan McGregor vs the older one played by Alec Guiness. They are the same character, and they feel like different aged versions of each other. Han does not seem like the same Han we see in Episode IV (to me).

again, i know i repeat my self

McGregor can pull of a good Guiness; he'd probably be able to pull off any Guiness character in any remake- LAWRENCE OF ARABIA or BRIDGE OVER RIVER KWAI quite well

but this guy who played SOLO CANNOT pull of a good Ford just as Urban was incapable of pulling of Dr McCoy. Just mimicking the accent does not make the character

the OT Solo and TOS Trek's McCoy were characters played in much the same way the actors lived their private lives

On the flip side though, why couldn't Urban play a Dr McCoy from Australia? I eman they changed so many other things in nutrek, why not him?

Why can't we have a Hispanic Solo?

sure appearances help make the character re-played, but appearance alone should not be the only variable in judging the performance (i have not seen it nor do i care to) but look at the play HAMILTON where many of the characters are played by minorities and they, reportedly, do a good job because they are delivering their role in the spirit of the historical persons

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ok but how is he different?--quantify

and yes, the whole droid thing was just asinine, much akin to the ball-gown wearing female admiral in EP 8

He is a lot different. It has to be explained to you? The Lando in Solo is CLEARLY not the same character as the one we met in the OT. Of course the actors are different, but the new younger Lando does not seem like the same character. Can you tell me why you find him acceptable as Lando in Solo, and if you think the younger Lando character connects with the original older Lando? As I pointed out earlier, I can mentally connect younger Obi-Wan to older Obi-Wan. I can connect Palpatine to the older Emperor in the OT. I can even connect the young adult Anakin with Darth Vader. But I can't connect the Han Solo in Solo to the older original Han in the OT mentally. How do you do it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
well ,they both display an outlandish personality

but again, just how much of the OT's Lando did we ever see?

and then again, this character is also one that much depends on the actor.. just like Ford WAS Solo and Kelly was Dr McCoy, the persona of the actors MADE the character

they touch on this in here (Lando was in REBELS as well)

Yes, but the Lando in Rebels IS Lando (Billy Dee Williams). Almost impossible to get him wrong when he is doing the character which is basically an extension of his real life persona.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Man, now I need to watch Empire and Return of the Jedi again - I really thought the guy who played Lando in Solo was spot on. :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Can you tell me why you find him acceptable as Lando in Solo

remember, i have said it many times, i find the whole reason for being for SOLO to be un acceptable

but since they just had t make it, it was on the low side of 'ok'

again, the Solo story should have been told within another more interesting movie or tv series

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
remember, i have said it many times, i find the whole reason for being for SOLO to be un acceptable

but since they just had t make it, it was on the low side of 'ok'

again, the Solo story should have been told within another more interesting movie or tv series

Meh...

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Watched Solo yesterday. Thought it wasn't so bad.