Star Wars Anthology films: Han Solo

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
SOLO was a casual viewer movie; Rogue One was a meant for SW's fans, movie

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Han and Leia would have not had the dismal future given to them in The Force Awakens if Abrams had continued the story instead

how long do want tptbs to continue to show old people whose characters really had no further contributions to add to the SW's story?

Han handed off his legacy-as it was- to Rey when he gave her the Falcon

Leia was really never anything more then a damsel in distress turned bureaucrat

no individual in SW's is really actually important, it is the over all story of good vs evil and even the spiritual/natural world (the force) powers used by jedi and sith vs the tech used by the empire and the rebellion

indiv characters are only important for what they contributed to this larger story

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
how long do want tptbs to continue to show old people whose characters really had no further contributions to add to the SW's story?

Han handed off his legacy-as it was- to Rey when he gave her the Falcon

Leia was really never anything more then a damsel in distress turned bureaucrat

no individual in SW's is really actually important, it is the over all story of good vs evil and even the spiritual/natural world (the force) powers used by jedi and sith vs the tech used by the empire and the rebellion

indiv characters are only important for what they contributed to this larger story

Still, those characters are what made Star Wars a saga. They are who the fanbase has been following and buying merchandise for. Of course they had to go sometime, but HOW they went was going to be equally as important as their departures. They should have taken Leia out on the rebel base. Han could have gone out ramming the Millennium Falcon into a cruiser and taking both his ship and his character out of canon. Instead, they let Soylo Ren take him out like a dog on a skewer. And Luke...poor Luke.

Disney made Soylo: A Star Wars Joke because they wanted to make money off a new Han and a new Lando. If the movie had done well, there would have been another to continue that story. It failed mostly because it just wasn't that good and also because of an active fan boycott.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Still, those characters are what made Star Wars a saga. They are who the fanbase has been following and buying merchandise for. Of course they had to go sometime, but HOW they went was going to be equally as important as their departures. They should have taken Leia out on the rebel base. Han could have gone out ramming the Millennium Falcon into a cruiser and taking both his ship and his character out of canon. Instead, they let Soylo Ren take him out like a dog on a skewer. And Luke...poor Luke.

Disney made Soylo: A Star Wars Joke because they wanted to make money off a new Han and a new Lando. If the movie had done well, there would have been another to continue that story. It failed mostly because it just wasn't that good and also because of an active fan boycott.

i think you have just blown by the fact that long ago, in this thread, I stated my clear position of this film SOLO.

it was an unnecessary film and the most important aspects of the story have nothing to do-or didn't have to include- Han or Lando

instead you are continually attempting to push me into the corner of me being some kind of SOLO fanboi which is not the case

:) please stop projecting your disappointment, anger and "fan depression" over nutrek and STD onto the SW'S franchise :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi!

The thing is Solo bombed at the box-office. And it was generally received as "meh" after the outright fan revolt over The Last Jedi. I still think with reason that Solo's poor box-office was partly a reaction to how bad The Last Jedi was, just like the disgust of the Trek fanbase to Star Trek Into Darkness negatively impacted Star Trek Beyond's box-office.

Franchises need fan goodwill to succeed in the longer term. And trash like The Last Jedi and Star Trek Into Darkness (and Star Trek Discovery) destroy that goodwill.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hi!

The thing is Solo bombed at the box-office. And it was generally received as "meh" after the outright fan revolt over The Last Jedi. I still think with reason that Solo's poor box-office was partly a reaction to how bad The Last Jedi was, just like the disgust of the Trek fanbase to Star Trek Into Darkness negatively impacted Star Trek Beyond's box-office.

Franchises need fan goodwill to succeed in the longer term. And trash like The Last Jedi and Star Trek Into Darkness (and Star Trek Discovery) destroy that goodwill.

Precisely.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Hi!

Hi
this is mainly what I have been saying about Solo

Anyone could have summarized my thoughts on SOLO when I have repeatedly posted "It was an unnecessary movie"

we did not and do not need any more movies about Han or Lando or any other minor sidekick character from the OT

It was like if an entire ST movie was made about the backstory of Nurse Chapel

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hi
this is mainly what I have been saying about Solo

Anyone could have summarized my thoughts on SOLO when I have repeatedly posted "It was an unnecessary movie"

we did not and do not need any more movies about Han or Lando or any other minor sidekick character from the OT

It was like if an entire ST movie was made about the backstory of Nurse Chapel

GREAT analogy. But is it really applicable? Han Solo was no Nurse Chapel. Han is responsible for tipping the dogfight battle in favor of Luke as he was going to make a run on the Death Star. He is the one who took Princess Leia as his wife, and he is the reason we have Chewbacca and the Millenium Falcon. He is also Kylo Ren's father. That you are trying to diminish his importance in the SW saga is...curious. If you want to compare a SW character to Nurse Chapel, then you need to be talking about Boba Fett who was basically an extra. Yet Boba Fett has a following of his own.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
now see, why did they take this out of the released film? this scene relates to one of the only references given by Solo himself as to his Imperial service days (that may have been in the new hope novelization and not the film)

and in it, this actor is much more like Ford was in the OT, imo

i think the movie could have been better (a low bar) with this in it and the 'walks like a lady' card playing droid scene out of it, but hey just me

and, we see that the reason why he was kicked out of the tie fighter corp and transfer to the army was due to his rogue flying and not following orders. a change from the previous canon of being kicked out for fighting with an officer whipping chewbacca.