Star Wars 1-3: The Prequels. Why do so many people hate them?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That logic is not always as straightforward as you think. In Spanish, the word "libro" beans BOOK. It has nothing to do with freedom, but does share the Latin root liber which looks the same but means something entirely different. I think the genitives are different for each meaning.

Soooooo.....how did we get off topic here? :)
yes, with the Latins,i am guessing that "free, freedom, liberty) etc-all with much more shallower meanings then of ours today-probably shared "roots" in relativity of standing in society.

I mean, in ancient Latin society (and going that far back, Latin does not always mean Roman) who could buy and read books (parchments)? Who had the "free time" or the money? Who had the standing in society with the ability to devote time to writing or reading--free men, rich men, those who did not need to work.

Just like with "Equites" another example of how ancient latins associated social standing with what one could do or have the power or money to do.

the latin word for horse is equo/equus--a land and horse owner, one who had to serve in the ancient Latin tribal and then Roman militias, was capable of going to muster with not only his own weapons and armor but could do so on horseback

the class of equites was born in the social standings of the Latins/Romans. It later translated to political actions/classes as political rights were given in accordance with land/property ownership.

so from that we get equine and equestrian but not what some think-equality

----------------------------
if you want to read a good book that may be a challenge to read (I "tuned in" after about 12 or so pages) that uses no LATIN derived English words and only old english ones or "edited" old english for easier understanding, words, read THE WAKE by Kingsnorth

-----------------
and we are not that far off of SW's when talking about words and their meanings-just look at all of the "latin-ish" names and germanic names used by Lucas--Darth Vader, Darth Sidius, Darth Tyrannus, etc

and then there Nute Gunray and his bud Lott Dod--both plays on the US political scene of the time; Newt Gingrich and Trent Lott

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Hey, you are just as bad with your Star Wars knowledge! :anim_59: I actually got caught up doing something else and I interrupted my marathon before watching Episode VI. What was that something? RESEARCH! Starting with the Wiki, I discovered that...

• Episode VI was going to be named Revenge of the Jedi and not Return of the Jedi. The name was changed to Return at the last minute becausew Lucas thought that Jedi should not seek revenge.
  • Han Solo was supposed to die in an Imperial raid in Ep 6.
  • Yoda was not supposed to be in the film at all, but he was used to verify that Vader was Luke's father.
  • Luke was supposed to fly off into space by himself at the end, not be at a party.
  • There were not going to be Ewoks, they were going to be wookies on Endor and it was changed
  • Obi-Wan was supposed to come back to REAL FLESH AND BLOOD LIFE after his spectral existence in the Force. And Yoda as well. This is from Lucas himself (so much for your matter-of-fact statement saying this is not possible :P).
  • Lucas engaged a child psychologist to help him resolve certain aspects of the storylines in Ep 6.
Something else I have discovered is that much of the EU created by fans was ALWAYS seen as rogue writing not at all sanctioned by Lucas (in terms of the direction of his characters and the creation of new ones). Some of the EU characters made it into the Clone Wars, but Lucasfilm thought the EU was out of control. Yet, he was going to help preserve it under the Legends name. When Disney acquired Lucasfilm, they are the ones who erased the EU.

The whole revenge of the jedi thing? Everybody knows that!!! for a long time now

a log sought after "holy grail" f SW collectibles are the limited in supply Revenge of the Jedi posters that were printed and distributed to theatres before Lucas changed his mind. they are sometimes worth quite a bit

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The whole revenge of the jedi thing? Everybody knows that!!! for a long time now

a log sought after "holy grail" f SW collectibles are the limited in supply Revenge of the Jedi posters that were printed and distributed to theatres before Lucas changed his mind. they are sometimes worth quite a bit

We should be thankful that some of his other ideas did NOT happen:

• Boba Fett was going to be a female, and Luke's mother!
  • When Vader died, Luke was supposed to go to the Dark Side, put on his father's mask and declare HIMSELF Vader, and vow to kill the Rebels!
There is a lot of cool stuff to know that is from Lucas and not just the EU. I had no idea...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It turned out to be a very good thing that Lucas was not the primary writer in the OT.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Yoda was just a bit part in original compared to prequels. He was very wise and very old. Prequels had him as more of a person, full of flaws and all. It was not as pleasing to see him as such but really with age does come wisdom. If you look at Indian Jones prequel stuff, he was nowhere near the suave quick as a whip Indie either, and of course more human since "Indiana was the dog's name". Be careful what you wish for, sometimes too much of a good thing becomes bad. I had no problem with Yoda in the prequels, but he was cooler when older. Come to think of it, isn't that the same with Anakin/Vader? People change when they get older.

This is a fault I hold with all prequels of same characters. Writers have to write backwards and take poetic liberties. Sometimes it works, like a young Indie and Connery as his dad... and sometimes it falls a bit flat. The prequels would have been cooler with different characters and only slight allusions to those from original, IMO.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
This is a fault I hold with all prequels of same characters. Writers have to write backwards and take poetic liberties.

Except that's not what happened. Lucas originally created a fictional universe that was 9 parts fantasy and magic and 1 part science-ish fiction. In the prequels, he did some stupid shit like trying to explain away the force as being some species of bacteria called midichloria, trying to reel in more hardcore sci-fi fans.

The writing in the prequels was atrocious and rushed, not because of any poetic liberties but because Lucas had to rush out a pile of shit dressed up like chocolate truffle cake to cash in one last huge paycheck. Lucas was preparing his intellectual property for acquisition. He had absolutely no interest in maintaining coherence or continuity to the established canon.

If you want to see a really well written story arc, watch Babylon 5. JMS wrote the entire story arc before lighting up a single camera. He made the painstaking effort of writing a bible that establishes canon, a history, known conflicts, character evolution, etc. Lucas did none of that in the prequels. He took the original trilogy, wiped his ass with it then handed it to a bunch of amateur writers to fill in the spaces between the skid marks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Except that's not what happened. Lucas originally created a fictional universe that was 9 parts fantasy and magic and 1 part science-ish fiction. In the prequels, he did some stupid shit like trying to explain away the force as being some species of bacteria called midichloria, trying to reel in more hardcore sci-fi fans.

The writing in the prequels was atrocious and rushed, not because of any poetic liberties but because Lucas had to rush out a pile of shit dressed up like chocolate truffle cake to cash in one last huge paycheck. Lucas was preparing his intellectual property for acquisition. He had absolutely no interest in maintaining coherence or continuity to the established canon.

If you want to see a really well written story arc, watch Babylon 5. JMS wrote the entire story arc before lighting up a single camera. He made the painstaking effort of writing a bible that establishes canon, a history, known conflicts, character evolution, etc. Lucas did none of that in the prequels. He took the original trilogy, wiped his ass with it then handed it to a bunch of amateur writers to fill in the spaces between the skid marks.

That was a completely accurate and neat description of what happened! And Babylon 5 shows us how a show unfolds when based upon a complete story arc which is known from beginning to end.