Star Trek: Renegades needs fan help

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I watched the other effort from this group "Of God's and Men" last night. It had Tuvok, Uhura, Gary Mitchell, the kid from TOS with mind powers, Chekov and the Captain of the Enterprise B from Star Trek Generations.

The acting ranged from fair to horrid, the plot wasn't fully thought out and the SFX.....:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao:

I had better SFX playing Homeworld on my PC 10 years ago...

heisenberg

Earl Grey
..and here it is...Save yourself the time watching this crap. It's really, really bad! This is not star trek. Unless you want to laugh at the special effects and the bad acting. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
..and here it is...Save yourself the time watching this crap. It's really, really bad! This is not star trek. Unless you want to laugh at the special effects and the bad acting. :D

Absolutely horrible. The effects were amateurish, the acting was horrible, the feel was all off...I feel bad for Picardo and some of the other iconic faces we had in Star Trek who were in this. TERRIBLE. Not Star Trek at all.

I donated $50.00 to this project, and I feel ripped off. Nobody looked at it and said "it needs more work"?

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As mentioned upthread, after seeing "Of Gods and Men" I fully expected this effort to be awful - and it is.

Unfortunately not all of the Trek "fanmade" production groups are good. Phase II (New Voyages) has a good track record and so does Star Trek Continues (but man do they need to recast Spock :) ).

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Is that Jonas Quinn from Stargate who replaced Daniel for a short period of time? Shaky camera damn you shaky camera

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As mentioned upthread, after seeing "Of Gods and Men" I fully expected this effort to be awful - and it is.

Unfortunately not all of the Trek "fanmade" production groups are good. Phase II (New Voyages) has a good track record and so does Star Trek Continues (but man do they need to recast Spock :) ).

This is worse than Of Gods and Men. They did not capture Trek in this. Of Gods and Men was just a badly acted episode. They had the actual Uhura and the actual Checkov (Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig), Tim Russ, but the acting and lack of direction ruined it completely. Here it is:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True OM, this is worse than "Of Gods and Men", which although poorly scripted and having terrible CGI was still sort of Trek.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Absolutely horrible. The effects were amateurish, the acting was horrible, the feel was all off...I feel bad for Picardo and some of the other iconic faces we had in Star Trek who were in this. TERRIBLE. Not Star Trek at all.

This renegadges crap is too dark for Star Trek which If I remember correctly, was about exploration lol but they turned it into a generic D grade Sci-fi villain film. This is worse than SGU or Defiance.

Anyway, Star trek on the small screen is dead. Star trek in itself has had a goodlife. I mean, we got TOS, TNG, Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise. That's a great legacy it carries. I don't know what series carries that much badassness.

I know many of your don't consider Enterprise, Star Trek because of the Timeline discrepancy, but the series was still fun to watch - way better than whatever Syfy puts out with Defiance :facepalm: . I would love to see star trek back, but I don't know what new things they could really bring to the table, but right now, they are making a killing from bluray and they'll continue to milk the series with 4k too.

I donated $50.00 to this project, and I feel ripped off. Nobody looked at it and said "it needs more work"?

I always approach kickstarter projects with caution and always discourage people to give their hard earned money because I know it's very hard to recreate that magic by another person - unless that person has experience in the field or is absolutely serious about the project. We have no way of knowing if someone is really serious about it other than their word.

Most kickstarter project are done or created by fans - which realistically have been kicked off the ground but then when it comes time to deliver, they require "more money" or deliver a mediocre product. I can only name a handful of products from kickstarters that have been successful.

I am also cautious about the "stargate" reboot which I know many of you are looking forward to seeing, but I am not holding my breath because the original directors have never touched the franchise for 20 years and don't have a great credentials on their resume either.

Hell, even rebooted series that Hollywood is obsessed with have been shit.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Oh and also, most of the fanbase of Star Trek who like this crap will defend it - it's the same story with SGU(Do you remember how many defenders we got for that?). No matter how crap a show is - there will always be a number of people who will like it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
True OM, this is worse than "Of Gods and Men", which although poorly scripted and having terrible CGI was still sort of Trek.

Of Gods and Men, as terrible as it was, still was Star Trek. A horrible episode of Star Trek (even amongst the fan made Star Trek productions), but still undeniably Star Trek. Uhuru married Ston in that episode! She obviously has a thing for Vulcans since TOS....

Renegades was just not Star Trek. But that other one Axanar which they are working on is definitely Star Trek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This renegadges crap is too dark for Star Trek which If I remember correctly, was about exploration lol but they turned it into a generic D grade Sci-fi villain film. This is worse than SGU or Defiance.

Anyway, Star trek on the small screen is dead. Star trek in itself has had a goodlife. I mean, we got TOS, TNG, Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise. That's a great legacy it carries. I don't know what series carries that much badassness.

I know many of your don't consider Enterprise, Star Trek because of the Timeline discrepancy, but the series was still fun to watch - way better than whatever Syfy puts out with Defiance :facepalm: . I would love to see star trek back, but I don't know what new things they could really bring to the table, but right now, they are making a killing from bluray and they'll continue to milk the series with 4k too.

I have softened a bit on Enterprise, only because when I watch it I recognize it as Star Trek because of the universe it's in, the Federation designs and lingo, Vulcans, etc. It is the canon trampling of Enterprise that I hated so much about it, as well as the presentation. They tried to make it more "hip" with a younger cast, and it worked for what it was but not a home run. After getting the Abrams crap, I see Enterprise as Trek and do not see Abrams movie NuTrek as being related to Star Trek in the Prime universe.

I always approach kickstarter projects with caution and always discourage people to give their hard earned money because I know it's very hard to recreate that magic by another person - unless that person has experience in the field or is absolutely serious about the project. We have no way of knowing if someone is really serious about it other than their word.

Agreed. We do not have references to work with either.

Most kickstarter project are done or created by fans - which realistically have been kicked off the ground but then when it comes time to deliver, they require "more money" or deliver a mediocre product. I can only name a handful of products from kickstarters that have been successful.

I am also cautious about the "stargate" reboot which I know many of you are looking forward to seeing, but I am not holding my breath because the original directors have never touched the franchise for 20 years and don't have a great credentials on their resume either.

Hell, even rebooted series that Hollywood is obsessed with have been shit.

Well, with Stargate the original creator/directors were PREVENTED from touching the Stargate franchise because Brad Wright and Glassener already contracted to do the TV show for MGM using the rights for the movie. It remained that way until MGM unlocked that door for them again. Brad used the TV series success to shut Emmerich and Devlin out of the storytelling process.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I watched Renegades again just now....I like it more the second time. :) It is not bad at all. LOTS of familiar faces, not bad effects, not horrible story. I like it better than any of the NuTrek shit (not hard to accomplish)

Whole episode 1: 1 hour 28 minutes. I know it's posted above, but WATCH THIS!

Last edited: