Star Trek ENT: General Discussion Thread

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
So no one-eyed Mister Winky monster from P5X1358 will appear from another galaxy then? I was going to leave a saucer of milk. :rotflmao:

S

Stonelesscutter

So no one-eyed Mister Winky monster from P5X1358 will appear from another galaxy then? I was going to leave a saucer of milk. :rotflmao:

I don't think one-eyed-winky-monsters from P5X1358 like milk. But to be sure you could ask Mallozzi on his blog. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
yaay for syfy!

ENT marathon on syfy today!! yaaaay! (the worst ENT ep is still better than the poo!:P)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Hope it's not too much to ask, but could someone give me a somewhat reasonable watching order for all of Star Trek? I've tried looking online, some of are too much and it's hard to pick out what I should watch and stuff that I can skip over without losing too much value. Would be greatly appreciated.

lady_maneth

Transmural feline
Depends on what you like... Has anything changed in the past 18 months?

I hope you folks don't mind a newbie resurrecting old threads...

Whatever you do, don't skip ENT!

Is Netflix or Hulu or a similar service available in your area? It's possible to watch things online legally these days...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Depends on what you like... Has anything changed in the past 18 months?

I hope you folks don't mind a newbie resurrecting old threads...

Whatever you do, don't skip ENT!

Is Netflix or Hulu or a similar service available in your area? It's possible to watch things online legally these days...

During its run, I hated Enterprise. I still separate it from TOS and the later Treks. But of itself it was okay for a series. I did not like the trampling of canon they did and I felt that trying to slot it in the timeline before Kirk and Spock was a big mistake. There was a theme song. With vocals. :facepalm:. The ship was a mildly disguised Akira vessel using the same basic design and probably just a modified CGI model. The personality of the Vulcans was odd. And the Xindi...where the hell did they come from, and more importantly, where did they go before Kirk and Spock came on the scene? They never fixed what was wrong with the show. But after several years, I did a rewatch and enjoyed it.

lady_maneth

Transmural feline
I agree that the theme song didn't really fit the show, even though I think it's okay on its own. I really liked the alternate orchestrated theme they used for In A Mirror, Darkly. These are the Voyages... was a crappy finale IMO, even though I enjoyed the rest of the show a lot, particularly the character arcs. Apart from DS9, and to a point Seven of Nine on Voyager, there really aren't any character arcs on Trek.

Call me a Trek heretic if you must, but I've never really been able to swallow Roddenberry's basic premise, that humanity would grow out of greed and the need for money as a means of exchange. That's why I enjoyed a show set before the Federation, because the characters were easier to relate to, than, say, on TNG.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I agree that the theme song didn't really fit the show, even though I think it's okay on its own. I really liked the alternate orchestrated theme they used for In A Mirror, Darkly. These are the Voyages... was a crappy finale IMO, even though I enjoyed the rest of the show a lot, particularly the character arcs. Apart from DS9, and to a point Seven of Nine on Voyager, there really aren't any character arcs on Trek.

Call me a Trek heretic if you must, but I've never really been able to swallow Roddenberry's basic premise, that humanity would grow out of greed and the need for money as a means of exchange. That's why I enjoyed a show set before the Federation, because the characters were easier to relate to, than, say, on TNG.

I liked "In a Mirror Darkly" except for one major nconsistency that bothered me. In the opening credits, we see them as this ruthless force of conquerors, in one scene chasing and destroying a Klingon ship in a nebula. Why were they still flying ships with no shields, no cloak and none of the technology they would have seized from their conquests?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I liked "In a Mirror Darkly" except for one major nconsistency that bothered me. In the opening credits, we see them as this ruthless force of conquerors, in one scene chasing and destroying a Klingon ship in a nebula. Why were they still flying ships with no shields, no cloak and none of the technology they would have seized from their conquests?

Your attention to detail never ceases to amaze me. Such a good point. :beckettu:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Your attention to detail never ceases to amaze me. Such a good point. :beckettu:

Under all this muscle lies a man with a pair of thick-framed glasses taped at the center wearing a square-pattern short-sleeve shirt with a pocket pen-holder. :D

nerdyrevenge.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Under all this muscle lies a man with a pair of thick-framed glasses taped at the center wearing a square-pattern short-sleeve shirt with a pocket pen-holder. :D

View attachment 7757

You're a Clarke. (short for Clark Kent). The musclebound geek. :) Great combination and too bad the TV pundits still think male geeks look like Eli or that dude in V who was Tyler's friend.

Enterprise trampled on story canon too. The technology was way off, being too advanced for the time. But the biggest flub was creating the Xindi and even having them attack earth. Such an event would be as significant as Wolf 359 or First Contact or the Crystalline Entity.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Three words

Klingons on Earth.

Honestly, to watch ENT, I have to pretend it simply isn't trek, the same way I got through SGU.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Three words

Klingons on Earth.

Honestly, to watch ENT, I have to pretend it simply isn't trek, the same way I got through SGU.

I had to do the same. In fact, I had to wait until all the Trek TV shows were off the air, add a few years and then revisit it without recent viewing of say...TNG or DS9 or Voyager. Then it was entertaining. But still it was not Trek to me. Funny how they used vocals for the theme. They never fixed it! The ending music should have been the theme. The music with vocals dated it badly.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
For me it was never the themesong, or vocals or anything that did it to me, (I actually liked the intro song, I thought it was very apropriate for a "pre starfleet era" show, sue me) it was the damn K/lingons. The Prime directive *exists* due to the bad first contact with the Klingons, and to have them on Earth, when it was that interaction (First contact) that that even gave klingons warp drive and so on just *grates* like you would not believe.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Enterprise_Crew_2154.jpg

I did a complete rewatch of this series starting late Monday night, and I am now on Season 4 episode 6. Watching this now seems fresh and new, because I have not watched any of the other Star Trek series recently. I was able to take this from a standpoint outside of the Trek universe, and it really was not all that bad.

This show suffers from it's Star Trek affiliation. If it had not been called Star Trek, it would have made a much better standalone show IMO. The writers obviously felt bound by staying within the Star Trek universe, considering how much they deviated from canon and how many new things they haphazardly introduced.

StarTrek_Enterprise_NX01starship_wallpaper-640x600.jpg

I counted no less than four entirely new races introduced in this show, none of which appear in the later series. If there had been no later series or connection to later Trek shows, then the irritation of seeing them would not be there. Also, they had Captain Jonathan Archer being pivotal in establishing the Federation. I do not think this is a violation of Trek canon, but the Xindi are what gives him his cred and they are absent in the future timelines. The TOS timeline gets fuzzy because of Enterprise. The Vulcans in this show are emotional and devious, unlike the logical and stoic Spock. If they had been outside of Trek, there would be no other Vulcans to compare them to (and make them look bad).

Overall, I actually do like this show now. :) Seasons 3 and 4 were serialized, so you could not really miss an episode and not miss part of the story. If you have missed this show, it might be worth watching now, since "thinking Trek" is now dead. Interesting stories are being told, and the Xindi arc of Season 3 is very interesting, if utterly trampling on Trek canon.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The black guy and the guy who plays "Trip" are bed-able. :hump:

Everyone else on that show should have been put in a burlap sack and thrown in a swift moving river.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lest we forget Season 3 gave us T'Pol, the "Vulcan Crack Whore" (per Jolene Blalock's own words - season three got her pretty upset).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The black guy and the guy who plays "Trip" are bed-able. :hump:

Everyone else on that show should have been put in a burlap sack and thrown in a swift moving river.

:smiley-laughing024: Not Scott Bakula? :anim_59: I thought Jolene Blalock's character as T'Pol was somewhat interesting, but they added too much sexual energy to her character. The tight, hiphugging outfits, chest enhancing clothes, exposed middriff, etc. Hot, but hardly Vulcan. Making her the requisite Vulcan on the bridge AND the show's female hottie was a big mistake. Hoshi and the Engineering guy Lt Reed were flat. Other than that, the rest of the show was fairly decent. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True.

I liked season one, and most of season two. Season three had a potentially interesting arc but also the weird stuff with T'Pol and Season Four is pretty much fanwankery trying to force the show to fit into canon. Heck, the while "Kir'Shara" multipart episode is basically remaking the Vulcans into what we see in TOS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lest we forget Season 3 gave us T'Pol, the "Vulcan Crack Whore" (per Jolene Blalock's own words - season three got her pretty upset).

Yep, that was bizarre. Truly bizarre! She was cracked out so much she actually put on an environmental suit to get to her stash in compromised Cargo Bay 2. And the Trellium she was using were actually rocks! They made her an emotional character just to have her and Tripp go through their romantic foreplay.