Star Trek Discovery TV Series

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I recently rewatched TNG and came across the worst shaky cam footage I have ever seen. But let's keep it on Discovery. Yes, I look forward to it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I recently rewatched TNG and came across the worst shaky cam footage I have ever seen. But let's keep it on Discovery. Yes, I look forward to it.

Expect it to closely ape Roddenberry's Andromeda premise. The two premises are not really compatible, but Kurtzman and pals will rape it as much as they can, starting with the ship being 1000 years into the future.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I read today that Kurtzman has 10 years of Discovery planned out.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Kurtzman needs to look at that contract outgoing Les Moonves signed with Secret Hideout - once it ends he is gone.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Just watched season 3 episode 1. Aside from one moment of shaky cam that absolutely annoyed the crap out of me, I thought it was fine. Promising even.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We'll see. The show has been an abomination so far so any improvement is welcome.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just watched season 3 episode 1. Aside from one moment of shaky cam that absolutely annoyed the crap out of me, I thought it was fine. Promising even.

I agree @Lord Ba'al , i thought it was AMAZING! some of the best Trek yet

really seems as if TPTB's are listening to the fans that matter

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm a Trek purist. I thought the CGI effects were top-notch, the crispy look of it is great, but it still isn't Star Trek. They have even retconned the Federation flag. I'm not feeling it, but I don't have a problem with anyone else liking it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree @Lord Ba'al , i thought it was AMAZING! some of the best Trek yet

really seems as if TPTB's are listening to the fans that matter

We'll see. The show has been an abomination so far so any improvement is welcome.

This is why I can't participate in the Star Trek threads here. Besides Joelist, I am not sure who else here has been watching Star Trek anywhere near as long as I have. A fan of this NuTrek is somebody who does not like Star Trek IMO. It has none of the optimism, none of the exploration or introduction to new worlds and new civilizations, and no connection to existing canon. The future they are in was described by Traveler Daniels as something completely different than what is depicted in Discovery S3. Not only that, but they changed the Federation flag and have not improved the writing.

What they have is an orgy of CGI (top notch CGI), pew pew guns and slick crispy cinematography. But the writing is simpleminded and shallow. There is nothing in any of the NuTreks that I like. I think Lower Decks got the visuals right, but that's it. The characters are obnoxious.

Despite you two saying it is so great, the fandom HATES this show. Discovery S1's broadcast ratings are dismal and S3 is not being well received. There is a new fandom, albeit very small (under 2 million people) who are watching this show and the other NuTrek shows, even though this is the most expensive show ever made for television. The international Star Trek fandom is more than 100 million strong, and they are not watching this show. Two Star Treks: One is original canon and has been running more than 50 years, and the NuTrek fandom which is 11 years old and has less than 2 million. They are separate fanbases for separate things named Star Trek that are two different things.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Something tells me you didn't pick up on @YJ02's sarcasm.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well after this last episode they should rename the show STP (Star Trek Pedophilia). The tentacle feel up of someone who is underage was creepy at best and in Netflix Cuties territory.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Something tells me you didn't pick up on @YJ02's sarcasm.

I totally didn't! I have been on Twitter ranting about not just this show but all of the Kurtzman Trek. There is an army of anti-Trek trolls using a #WeAreStarfleet hashtag who are clearly a PR group or otherwise organized group. They all use custom avatars made by one of the people in the Secret Hideout writing room. It's hilarious to watch them try and weave "excitement"! They post all sorts of crap about how wonderful it is, and then they do not get likes or retweets. :smiley-laughing021:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well after this last episode they should rename the show STP (Star Trek Pedophilia). The tentacle feel up of someone who is underage was creepy at best and in Netflix Cuties territory.

Its truly awful. Really it is. The contract is good till 2023.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
haven't watched a thing except the 1st episode

is anything in it even making sense with what we know of the prime timeline?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nope. And after the last episode with the Trills and the presentation which (as mentioned) had major pedophilic overtones I want nothing to do with it.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Those pedophilic overtones you mentioned are nonsense and a figment of your own imagination. There are other things in the episode which one might not be enthused about, but it has nothing to do with pedophilia. Just wanted to set that straight.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They are not nonsense and based on the number of other people who got the same impression not a figment of imagination. It was basically feeling up a minor - pedophilia.