Star Trek Discovery TV Series

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Season 4 has started. Yay! :)
It's pretty good so far.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm thinking maybe the DMA was created by Control.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Episode 6 was extremely bleh.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Episode 7 much better thankfully.
The ship's computer is a life form now.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yay, new Star Trek: Discovery episode today!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Earth and Ni'Var are about to be destroyed by the EMH. No, the DMV. No, the ehm... what are they calling it again... I think DMA for Dark Matter Anomaly. The Discovery crew travelled outside our galaxy to find this species 10A who are supposedly controlling the anomaly, in the hopes of communicating with them and getting them to stop wrecking our galaxy. Pretty heavy stuff. We may learn tonight how things will fare. I guess we'll find out if they succeeded if we all wake up tomorrow.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Discovery season 4 episode 12. This episode was good. It truly felt like Star Trek, yet in a modern serialized jacket. I'm struggling to think of any Star Trek episodes from any of the shows which more realistically depicted the struggles of opening a line of communication in a first contact situation. I'd recommend watching it. You'd probably have to watch episode 11 first for some context.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Sonequa showed some great acting in the season 4 finale, particularly the scene where Book died. It was a very convincing emotional reaction.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I did feel they rather jumped the shark in the communication with species 10C. Previously they had to use very basic mathematical concepts in order to try to convey messages, but now they suddenly seemed to be able to say basically anything they wanted. :rolleyes:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
This season was nowhere near as good as season 3.
The show has gone into crazy SJW mode, like in your face, not subtle at all.

Every other episode has a side arc that as all about teaching us a big ole lesson about how we should believe and act.
I just fast forwarded through them to get to the more, you know, Sci Fi aspects of the show, and once I did that I found it worth watching.

The show now has 2 "Wesley-esque" wannabes that are beyond annoying. They need to just give it a rest and respect the chain of command. I have to agree about the communication going from zero to ten thousand in a matter of minutes, but they had written themselves into a corner and had to get out out of it.

I hope they bring it back down to a more tolerable tone next season. If you compare the darkness and negativity from the first season to the Santa Claus on crack on NYE ( yes that was ripped from Friends) positivity in Season 4 even where entire worlds are being destroyed then you can truly see how bi-polar overall feel of the show is. They really need to learn what a middle ground means.

Also, please oh please , can they stop making Michael be the saviour for all mankind while "aw shucks-ing" it to the crew everytime! The great thing about Picard and Janeway is that they really took themselves out the limelight of praise. You did not have to watch the aliens they helped constantly shower them with attention. They just helped, and left. Now Sisko and Archer can't really compare since one was a type of actual messiah, and the other was hated by everyone for most of show's run, but at least they both made sense.

I get the distinct feeling that the writers are sooo happy to be able go full force SJW that they just can't stop tooting their own horn about it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Casting a far left activist/grifter like Stacey Abrams in it was also a VERY bad idea as it basically flipped the birdie to over half their potential audience.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
By all logic it should have been cancelled. It gets few viewers, was a disaster on CBS when they tried to show it and contributed to AllAccess dying. The issue is one of corporate politics - the outgoing head (Moonves) signed Secret Hideout to a long term contract right before leaving and it seems it is cheaper to continue to produce the show (and they have slashed the budget) than to buy out the contract.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
CBS All Access is now Paramount+.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Wasn't just a cosmetic name change - Paramount took over the assets as they were already setting up a service. And seeing how poorly Viacom is doing there is question how long Paramount lasts. Currently they have a bit of a revenue infusion courtesy of the NFL getting better ratings (which also drives Paramount + subscribers which is why their active viewers rise and fall in coincidence with football season) but they are still anemic.

Last edited:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
This show is far from my favorite but I will keep watching it for now once it comes back next season for season 5 since it was already renewed, Michael is as annoying as poop, but I really like Booker and he might her more likeable when they are working with their banter.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
1671771585107.png

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
someone on FB has the right idea for a PROPER ending to STD.. I'm good with it!

Discovery's season 5 will be its last, someone photoshopped this one on social media today. Gotta admit, this would make one AWESOME series finale for Discovery!

1677903416221.png
@Joelist @Overmind One

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep!

Should have been canned 4 years ago.