Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
any way to find out the production dates of the last few eps?

in other words..were they done after the bad reviews and grief over the differences with prime timeline or were they all made at mostly the same time?

if they were made at the same time, then this was planned this way
-----------------------------------------------
i just watched a YT vid that theorizes that from the beginning they were in a parallel universe

hence the spore drive and Spock having a sister who was never talked about before

also he brings up from TOS and the THOLIAN WEB episode when spock told checkov that no federation ship had ever had a mutiny. wasn't there a mutiny in this show, or at least in its backstory?

if they have come back into the prime universe, then perhaps the events that Burnham was guilty of never happened?

idk, its this guys theory. i dont watch the show

More about Fuller

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

in other words..were they done after the bad reviews and grief over the differences with prime timeline or were they all made at mostly the same time?

i just watched a YT vid that theorizes that from the beginning they were in a parallel universe

hence the spore drive and Spock having a sister who was never talked about before

also he brings up from TOS and the THOLIAN WEB episode when spock told checkov that no federation ship had ever had a mutiny. wasn't there a mutiny in this show, or at least in its backstory?

if they have come back into the prime universe, then perhaps the events that Burnham was guilty of never happened?

ok 'funny'-sure

idk why its funny, i am not watching. the only way i know anything about this is the occasional YT vid and your postings here

but no matter how bad the show is, why is it inconceivable that they didn't plan a 'jump' into the prime universe from the start?

and what about the production schedule? if they were all filmed,say, last winter/spring and nothing after, then that means that everything was done intentionally and not reactionary (to address criticisms, etc)

just curious, not cheering for the show...

Last edited:

The bottom line is that no Star Trek show should be this convoluted and complicated. The appeal can't just be to knowledgeable ST fans, but to everyone. If you don't make it understandable from the beginning you are going to lose millions of viewers who don't know every little detail of the STverse. These people aren't going to rush out and read the Wiki on ST so they can be up to date on why a psychopath is committing mutiny on a space ship. They are simply not going to bother tuning in again after the initial viewing.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Even if they make this look like a bad dream which in our reality is a super beyond bad nightmare , it wont win veiwers back . I don't care what they do ... My 23 viewing minutes is all there gonna get out of me ... What a filthy disgusting thing these people have done to Star Trek . Take every single thing Star Trek is not , and throw it at viewers .
Rot in hell kurtsman and every other dumbass involved putting pen to paper for (not a star trek show )

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember Burnham was pardoned for those crimes in the finale - so no parallel universe possible.

As to when they were filmed, we know filming was not complete when it premiered. Also, they already had overwhelmingly negative feedback on their test screenings. Either way, the "second half" came across pretty obviously like a giant retcon exercise to try to make the show at least kind of fit into canon.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so no parallel universe possible

didn't they already go to a parallel universe? where the terran empire existed?

what about tos spock never talking about a sister, adopted or not?

that ability of this ship to flip, jump and roll--the spore drive or whatever? never in the prime.

hey, its your guy's show! i am just watching the train wreck :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Either way, the "second half" came across pretty obviously like a giant retcon exercise to try to make the show at least kind of fit into canon.

in any show, the TPTB's can do pretty much whatever the company they work for will allow. we don't get to decide-'officially'-what is canon. they can make happen whatever they like then round it all back to "prime",in this case, as they like with or without explanation

you know, they will still get the viewership they are getting now with little damage because all that group wants is 'cool' and shiny sfx. and a good heaping of SJW stuff for the icing on their millennial cake.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
in any show, the TPTB's can do pretty much whatever the company they work for will allow. we don't get to decide-'officially'-what is canon. they can make happen whatever they like then round it all back to "prime",in this case, as they like with or without explanation

you know, they will still get the viewership they are getting now with little damage because all that group wants is 'cool' and shiny sfx. and a good heaping of SJW stuff for the icing on their millennial cake.
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa
This show is a mockery for star trek ...

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Is this the same name of the spacecraft that burntham blowed up real good in those first few eps ?
I knew nothing of this . I knew they went to the moon but did not know they threw humans in space too . Cool ...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is this the same name of the spacecraft that burntham blowed up real good in those first few eps ?
I knew nothing of this . I knew they went to the moon but did not know they threw humans in space too . Cool ...
Yes and that is a nod to Chinese investors.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes and that is a nod to Chinese investors.

no such thing as a 'chinese investor' all wealth there is fleeting

the CASC and CNSA are operated in the same manner as NASA; neither is private

their move to space, however encouraging, is not for altruistic reasons

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

I like the perspective here. He does some basic math on CBS All Access numbers that proves Moonves was spinning when he called STD successful. Basically, he just compared the current number of claimed subscriptions versus what they were before STD and showed the largest possible gain was 500,000 - which did not even take cancellations into account (remember elsewhere on this forum we calculated that All Access needed AT LEAST 1.5 million new subscribers to even break even on STD).

He also pointed out and confirmed something we had heard earlier - that Netflix is unhappy with the results they got for bankrolling Season One and made it clear they will not be doing the same for Season Two. Then he made the very logical connection to the furious retconning going on and concluded that CBS ordered the producers to do what was necessary to get the Trek fanbase back.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan

there move to space, however encouraging, is not for altruistic reasons

I think what was meant was Chinese investors in Star Trek Discovery.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
CBS ordered the producers to do what was necessary to get the Trek fanbase back.

this order came and then this 'do what is necessary' was executed during the mid season break?

i dont care about the actual show, not really. i am getting interested though in this behind the scene 'are they doing a dance to save it or not?'

so, the eps that aired prior to the break, were they all available from day one? if so, then how much time did they have to do all the re shoots and post production on the 'do what is necessary' post break eps?

i am sure fans of this show would love to believe that it was all planned and written this way. but it makes sense that they would have made changes if time allowed.

was it possible to make those changes, was there a confirmed re-start date for the 2 half of the season?

thing is, i just do not believe that tptbs care all that much anymore about what 'old' fans have to say (and not just in Trek). they want to catch the eye of the younger, easy to amuse crowd who, presumably, have more money to spend and can be won to continue watching this in the future

this is why i was interested in the production schedule for shooting,etc for season 1. i am sure it is on the net somewhere. i haven't found it though.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

I like the perspective here. He does some basic math on CBS All Access numbers that proves Moonves was spinning when he called STD successful. Basic ally, he just compared the current number of claimed subscriptions versus what they were before STD and showed the largest possible gain was 500,000 - which did not even take cancellations into account (remember elsewhere on this forum we calculated that All Access needed AT LEAST 1.5 million new subscribers to even break even on STD).

He also pointed out and confirmed something we had heard earlier - that Netflix is unhappy with the results they got for bankrolling Season One and made it clear they will not be doing the same for Season Two. Then he made the very logical connection to the furious retconning going on and concluded that CBS ordered the producers to do what was necessary to get the Trek fanbase back.
This proves that they basically gave the middle finger to their loyal fanbase. Well, if you do that, get ready to pay dearly by alienating your core audience. A great fuck up which probably won't ever fix trek ever. I hope discovery gets cancelled so we may never see star trek again. Then again, CBS will continue to push this shitty series onto our faces, some people will cave in but most people hopefully won't.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not sure the entire schedule is up there - but we do know that at least some of the second part episodes were not in the can when they did their test audiences and when the premiere aired.

As to being planned, this is actually the exact opposite. This is CBS reacting to seeing far fewer All Access subs that stayed around than they had projected and Netflix not agreeing to foot the whole bill for Season Two. They need more viewers - where can they find them? The large built in Trek audience is where they are trying to find them.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
this order came and then this 'do what is necessary' was executed during the mid season break?

i dont care about the actual show, not really. i am getting interested though in this behind the scene 'are they doing a dance to save it or not?'

so, the eps that aired prior to the break, were they all available from day one? if so, then how much time did they have to do all the re shoots and post production on the 'do what is necessary' post break eps?

i am sure fans of this show would love to believe that it was all planned and written this way. but it makes sense that they would have made changes if time allowed.

was it possible to make those changes, was there a confirmed re-start date for the 2 half of the season?

thing is, i just do not believe that tptbs care all that much anymore about what 'old' fans have to say (and not just in Trek). they want to catch the eye of the younger, easy to amuse crowd who, presumably, have more money to spend and can be won to continue watching this in the future

this is why i was interested in the production schedule for shooting,etc for season 1. i am sure it is on the net somewhere. i haven't found it though.
They were worried about binge watching. The whole purpose of having out the episodes weekly was to maintain their subscription numbers. Discovery had weekly episodes not in one go. This was because they needed to maintain cash flow and since they had a relatively new platform to launch star trek, they gave minor incentives for people to stay and have a hiatus in the middle. This is one of the reasons why Netflix seems to cancel their shows. People binge watch a show on Netflix these days and then move on, after that, some either cancel or view it for free or stay on. This sort of way of doing business is extremely risky these days. Why? Because Netflix has lost all films from Disney/Fox. It wasn't this risky before. Netflix right now did not see losing Disney movies coming so that's why are going insane with spending. If I was a share holder, I would sell my shares if I were them. I for one see the share price collapsing like we saw with Go pro.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...ership-for-netflix-says-nielsen/#4d4f33bd33fe

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

there move to space, however encouraging, is not for altruistic reasons

Are you kidding me? :) Chinese investors not only bankroll many of these blockbuster films, but they also insert their agenda or dictate things to be changed or removed if they are offensive to them. Pacific Rim, Cloud Atlas, and many others out there like the 2012 Red Dawn remake. Instead of China invading America as it was written, the Chinese investors forced the filmmakers to change the invader to north Korea. When I say Chinese investors, I do mean China or groups of individuals in China, not individual investors.

I like the perspective here. He does some basic math on CBS All Access numbers that proves Moonves was spinning when he called STD successful. Basic ally, he just compared the current number of claimed subscriptions versus what they were before STD and showed the largest possible gain was 500,000 - which did not even take cancellations into account (remember elsewhere on this forum we calculated that All Access needed AT LEAST 1.5 million new subscribers to even break even on STD).

I'm not sure the entire schedule is up there - but we do know that at least some of the second part episodes were not in the can when they did their test audiences and when the premiere aired.

As to being planned, this is actually the exact opposite. This is CBS reacting to seeing far fewer All Access subs that stayed around than they had projected and Netflix not agreeing to foot the whole bill for Season Two. They need more viewers - where can they find them? The large built in Trek audience is where they are trying to find them.

I think your assessment is spot on. It's not surprising Netflix has bailed on this money pit. What's surprising is that they were so eager to blindly dump money into it in the first place without having more oversight of the project. It's this "fiscal ignorance" that is going to burst the Netflix bubble at some point. Didn't they dump over $120 million into this one season? So much money wasted. I just don't see how Netflix can sustain itself when it's making such bone-headed financial decisions.

And you're right about them trying to find more of a legit Trek audience. Personally I find it pathetic, cynical and desperate. They've lost not only the Trek audience but a lot of casual viewers also. They won't be returning, certainly not for the Michael Berman story. Maybe if the showrunners do a massive retread and switch to an anthology style where the story is completely new and different, including a different cast that is moral, upstanding and actually heroic, then they might see an uptick in viewers. But I doubt even then that it will be enough to save this turkey.