Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
True, there is a whole wide world out there, but that doesn't change the fact that this show is crap. Read any of the comments on any article regarding this show and you'll see a heavy percentage of people aren't happy with it. Public opinion shouldn't be discounted in this regard.

As for this show becoming a success, well, you know how this shit works nowadays. These corporations and studios and production companies are usually so deep into it financially they have no choice but to double-down and pretend things are great because "sunk cost". Maybe in the long, long, loooooooong run they can recoup their investment(s) but the goal is to get a rapid return on that money, not wait years and years to get it back. Waiting for residuals to trickle in from the hinterlands is not the goal of financially backing these shows. To think it is is just plain dumb. The producers want and expect to get a large, quick return from the United States and Canada. Sorry if you don't like that simply because you're a Euro living in a small country, but that doesn't change the economic reality at work here.

At any rate, this show is an obviously cynical attempt to cash in on the Star Trek market. Just watching the opening titles tells you it's a cynical piece of corporate shit.
We live in the United Kingdom, it's not that small. It's still one of the most powerful countries in Europe.

I really have not decided about this show yet, but what you don't understand is all of Europe has shit options for TV shows. The pickings are slim indeed, mass amounts still live by Netflix over here. It won't take much for it to be a hit here since it comes free with your Netflix. CBS could just sell it off to Netflix if it flops in USA. There's plenty of other milk for them to drain from that cash cow.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Remember that dumb show on SyFy called DEFIANCE? It got 3 seasons but that's only because they sunk an ungodly amount of money into it up front. They had no choice but to pretend it was a smash despite the fact that no one was really gung ho on it. It just wasn't that good. Had it been a genuine success it would either still be on TV or people would still be talking about it, but they aren't. No one even thinks about that show these days. It's been forgotten.

But at least DEFIANCE was an original production and didn't have established fans to piss off, unlike Discovery. SGU is a perfect example of what happens when you mess with an established story. Sure some people can claim SGU was a success because it got two seasons (:rolleye0014:) but those idiots are deluding themselves by ignoring how bad the show was and more importantly, the fact that no one wants it resurrected. The same thing can, and most likely will, happen to Discovery.

What was not told in the beginning was that those two seasons were agreed upon FROM THE START. It did come out later, but not before the spin doctors claimed the second season was a "renewal", which was utter bullshit. This Star Trek Discovery season of 15 episodes will be split. During the break, they could even claim that the first half is a "season", and then say it was "renewed" for a second season. Who knows? It's the product, folks. The product sucks. Even if we are talking about people who somehow like the Kelvin timeline, the decline of the movie viewers for that crap reached official bomb status with Star Trek Beyond, to the point that Paramount has not approved of a fourth movie at this time (maybe never). So, where is the audience for this show which is willing to pay for CBS All Access to watch it? I am not seeing it at all.

We live in the United Kingdom, it's not that small. It's still one of the most powerful countries in Europe.

I really have not decided about this show yet, but what you don't understand is all of Europe has shit options for TV shows. The pickings are slim indeed, mass amounts still live by Netflix over here. It won't take much for it to be a hit here since it comes free with your Netflix. CBS could just sell it off to Netflix if it flops in USA. There's plenty of other milk for them to drain from that cash cow.

I agree that the show will migrate somewhere if CBS All Access flops, either to Netflix or to the free CBS channel, at least to finish out whatever has already been filmed. Netflix might still have enough financial sway to do another season but, as I pointed out, that's the "sunk cost" factor at work here. They really have no choice at this point.

What was not told in the beginning was that those two seasons were agreed upon FROM THE START. It did come out later, but not before the spin doctors claimed the second season was a "renewal", which was utter bullshit. This Star Trek Discovery season of 15 episodes will be split. During the break, they could even claim that the first half is a "season", and then say it was "renewed" for a second season. Who knows? It's the product, folks. The product sucks. Even if we are talking about people who somehow like the Kelvin timeline, the decline of the movie viewers for that crap reached official bomb status with Star Trek Beyond, to the point that Paramount has not approved of a fourth movie at this time (maybe never). So, where is the audience for this show which is willing to pay for CBS All Access to watch it? I am not seeing it at all.

What non-Americans aren't understanding is that viewers here are pissed that we're being forced to sign up for yet another streaming service in order to watch this show. That's incredibly irritating and cynically gratuitous on the part of CBS and Netflix. It would be one thing if it was on Netflix like it is in other countries, but it's not. Don't get me wrong, it would still be a shitty show, but at least the viewing scheme wouldn't be insulting.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What non-Americans aren't understanding is that viewers here are pissed that we're being forced to sign up for yet another streaming service in order to watch this show. That's incredibly irritating and cynically gratuitous on the part of CBS and Netflix. It would be one thing if it was on Netflix like it is in other countries, but it's not. Don't get me wrong, it would still be a shitty show, but at least the viewing scheme wouldn't be insulting.

I found it elsewhere, which is where I will be sourcing it from here forward if I want to see it (HA!). The option is there.

9aRHend.gif

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
For me it is simply too early to pass any judgement on it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I dunno Lord Ba'al. I saw that premiere and it was BAD. Poor characterizations, bad writing, characters doing stupid things for no good reason and poor acting out of the lead (then again she stunk as Sasha in The Walking Dead too). Add in the "Hellraiser Cenobite" Klingons and it wasn't just not Trek it was a bad show no matter what it was supposed to be.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I dunno Lord Ba'al. I saw that premiere and it was BAD. Poor characterizations, bad writing, characters doing stupid things for no good reason and poor acting out of the lead (then again she stunk as Sasha in The Walking Dead too). Add in the "Hellraiser Cenobite" Klingons and it wasn't just not Trek it was a bad show no matter what it was supposed to be.

I couldn't have said it better! Hellraiser Cenobite Klingons! The biggest problem with all that latex on those Klingons is that you cannot see them emote. You can EASILY see they are latex mask wearing actors.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
YES, a record number of signups, but that is because everyone is being forced to sign up just to see the second episode. I want to see how many of those signups went past the free two days (or 5 days with commercials). Even I signed up. But 2 or 3 hours later, I canceled..

When it comes down to it, spun up reviews and signups for CBS All Access are irrelevant with regard to Star Trek Discovery. The show ITSELF sucks. Signups and spun up reviews are no indication of what the viewing audience thinks, and I think after the spin period has passed (about a month in), we will see the overwheming hate for this show take over. Don't you remember how they spun up SGU? The production even went out and purchased a Leo Award nomination, and got one for best filmography for an episode that had a car passing in the background of an "uninhabited" planet billions of light years away.

Spin doctors are always going to tell you how delicious and yummy that turd on a doily is. They will talk about how people just stopped in their tracks to admire it's beauty, how there were lines around the corner to taste it, and tell you how special and awesome it is. That is their JOB to do that. But what's important is what people think after tasting the turd.

That is where we are with Discovery.
That's what I said. Their retention rate will be small.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Come on people there will be clanging and banging all through the day and all through the night on this on. Some of the promos I have seen on the 'Space Channel' suggest there will be fighting and more fighting.

The teeny boppers will eat this all up.

Someone has suggested that Season 2 arrives in '19 so they have lots of time to make course correction after course correction and I for one will love every move they make.

Come on people there will be clanging and banging all through the day and all through the night on this on. Some of the promos I have seen on the 'Space Channel' suggest there will be fighting and more fighting.

The teeny boppers will eat this all up.

Someone has suggested that Season 2 arrives in '19 so they have lots of time to make course correction after course correction and I for one will love every move they make.

On the bright side they have nowhere to go but up. ;)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
YES, a record number of signups, but that is because everyone is being forced to sign up just to see the second episode. I want to see how many of those signups went past the free two days (or 5 days with commercials). Even I signed up. But 2 or 3 hours later, I canceled..

When it comes down to it, spun up reviews and signups for CBS All Access are irrelevant with regard to Star Trek Discovery. The show ITSELF sucks. Signups and spun up reviews are no indication of what the viewing audience thinks, and I think after the spin period has passed (about a month in), we will see the overwheming hate for this show take over. Don't you remember how they spun up SGU? The production even went out and purchased a Leo Award nomination, and got one for best filmography for an episode that had a car passing in the background of an "uninhabited" planet billions of light years away.

Spin doctors are always going to tell you how delicious and yummy that turd on a doily is. They will talk about how people just stopped in their tracks to admire it's beauty, how there were lines around the corner to taste it, and tell you how special and awesome it is. That is their JOB to do that. But what's important is what people think after tasting the turd.

That is where we are with Discovery.
CBS are providing a 30 day trial for those cancel their subscription.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So there was some fuckup at Netflix but it was a false alert.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5171438/reviews?filter=love
t
This is rigged. Most of these people are not trek fans otherwise they would not like this pile of shit but given that it's the internet, people can say one thing but IRL mean another. Maybe if you fan of both Star wars and Trek then maybe but I still think this series sucks after watching it a second time. This stinks of an agenda to get someone to change star trek for the worst. Nice try, but some of us Trek fans are a little less shallow than others.

Nothing rigged from what I see. :) Page after page, starting with the first page, is dragging this show around by it's hair through mud and feces, without remorse. One star ratings come up for the first 10 pages (edit: make that the first 20 pages) when you just leave the User Reviews rating filter at "Best". And any of the positive shill reviews have negative comments. I see HATE for this show from the people who are watching it. I couldn't care less what the critics are saying. It's the viewing audience who is going to be the target for CBS All Access because only they will be paying.

So, this show is taking the same path as the movies, only it's dropping much MUCH faster into the bomb bin. Only two episodes, and it's already been rejected completely by the original fanbase.

EDIT: I just noticed, you purposely filtered the reviews for "Love it". Why did you do that?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5171438/reviews?filter=love

The default filter is "Best"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5171438/reviews?filter=best

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
CBS are providing a 30 day trial for those cancel their subscription.

Most of my Trekkie friends did not even keep their trials more than 4 hours, let alone 2 days. Why would anyone need 30 days to see that CBS All Access is nothing but the bargain bin?