Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Ok so I gave in and watched 23 mins of this wtf series . I don't and won't want to see anymore . It has a lot of sgpoo here . How the hell is our lead character allowed to be an officer , a first officer at that and just push people around like that physically and be utterly rude and arrogant to every single person she comes into contact with . Her place is in an insane asylum or some kind of anger management program. Completely unhinged individual . What outfit would keep someone like her employed ffs ... Talk about the wrong stuff . Guess this era of Starfleet can't find proper officers or staff to run there ships . And holy crap this ship is beyond hi tech . Way beyond anything we have seen in StarTrek so far .
Just horrible horrible horrible ...

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
See, record number of people signed up for Star Trek. Again, I would take this as a grain of salt because a lot of factors play into here. It maybe a record trial but it's the retention rate that counts lol. I am sure they saw a 30% drop. We need to keep pushing this series down to shove it up the TPTB that we are not to be taken as puppets and fools. We are intelligent people that LOVE Star Trek.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Hopefully there will be record cancellations of there cbs memberships to watch this wtf show ...
:daniel01:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Ok so I gave in and watched 23 mins of this wtf series . I don't and won't want to see anymore . It has a lot of sgpoo here . How the hell is our lead chatacter allowed to be an officer , a first officer at that and just push people around like that physically and be utterly rude and arrogant to every single person she comes into contact with . Her place is in an insane asylum or some kind of anger managent program. Completely unhinged individual . What outfit would keep someone like her employed ffs ... Talk about the wrong stuff . Guess this era of Starfleet can't find proper officers or staff to run there ships . And holy crap this ship is beyond hi tech . Way beyond anything we have seen in StarTrek so far .
Just horrible horrible horrible ...
Yup this is SGpoo and this will appeal to that fanbase too. It wouldn't surprise me if it's by the same audience lol

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
They should start raising money now then to get the show reinstated once its cancelled and send it all to some guy in Australia and then wonder were there money went and how do they get it back once they do not get enough support to rejuvenation a wtf show ...
:smiley-laughing021:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Speaking of which, you know that's a bad thing right? That's what made Lame of Thrones popular and I am sure that's what CBS is backing on.
CBS is definitely backing on capturing Star Wars Fans, NUBSG fans, and generally people who want to turn off their brains.

Also someone is rigging IMDB by pushing up the ratings

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5171438/

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/star-trek-discovery-is-getting-pirated-a-lot/

More people are going to watch this garbage because people still like explosions and Transformers style tv series. Once in a while it's okay, but a whole god damn series? No...

Also it's apparent that Screenrant is getting paid by CBS it write drivel like this when they don't understand how ratings work. Dumbass author.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-ratings-orville/#comments

Seriously, though, the hateful nature and provocative nature is what's going to make discovery popular. These dickheads KNOW that Star Trek fans are very emotional creatures so inorder to create hype they write these clickbait articles to generate viewership and generating sales. I don't participate in them but I do notice a trend.

They did ALL of this for SGU, and also Fear The Walking Dead. It did not help SGU, because in the end it still comes down to the show. Buzz might make them watch one or two episodes, and you are right about some liking it. But the boxoffice for Into Darkness and Beyond shows that the Kelvinverse/JJ Abrams Trek is not that popular.

Get this...Sarek says to her that she has part of his Katra inside her. So, is "Katra" really a euphemism? So lets talk about this...was he her mentor or her lover? Seems to me like Kurtzman is making "black female with Vulcan male" a thing. First, Uhura and Spock banging in the turbolift, now this? :smiley-laughing021:

Oh God, more playing fast and loose with the establish canon. How they are treating Star Trek fans is unbelievable. :facepalm:

The Vulcan Katra has only been transferred when a Vulcan is dying. Katra is different from a mind-meld in that it's a Vulcan's life force. In order to transfer one's Katra it literally means giving up one's life. So when Sarek transferred his Katra (or even part of it) was he dying? If so, why is he still alive in this show? Or can he simply slice off and pass around portions of his Katra like prime rib at an all-you-can-eat-buffet? And why doesn't this weaken or kill him? And, why would he do this for an adopted human but not for his own flesh and green-blood son???

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
All of you are going to keep being massively disappointed because you are all wrong. This show will probably be a success whether you like it or not.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
They did ALL of this for SGU, and also Fear The Walking Dead. It did not help SGU, because in the end it still comes down to the show. Buzz might make them watch one or two episodes, and you are right about some liking it. But the boxoffice for Into Darkness and Beyond shows that the Kelvinverse/JJ Abrams Trek is not that popular.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5171438/reviews?filter=love
t
This is rigged. Most of these people are not trek fans otherwise they would not like this pile of shit but given that it's the internet, people can say one thing but IRL mean another. Maybe if you fan of both Star wars and Trek then maybe but I still think this series sucks after watching it a second time. This stinks of an agenda to get someone to change star trek for the worst. Nice try, but some of us Trek fans are a little less shallow than others.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
See, record number of people signed up for Star Trek. Again, I would take this as a grain of salt because a lot of factors play into here. It maybe a record trial but it's the retention rate that counts lol. I am sure they saw a 30% drop. We need to keep pushing this series down to shove it up the TPTB that we are not to be taken as puppets and fools. We are intelligent people that LOVE Star Trek.

YES, a record number of signups, but that is because everyone is being forced to sign up just to see the second episode. I want to see how many of those signups went past the free two days (or 5 days with commercials). Even I signed up. But 2 or 3 hours later, I canceled..

When it comes down to it, spun up reviews and signups for CBS All Access are irrelevant with regard to Star Trek Discovery. The show ITSELF sucks. Signups and spun up reviews are no indication of what the viewing audience thinks, and I think after the spin period has passed (about a month in), we will see the overwheming hate for this show take over. Don't you remember how they spun up SGU? The production even went out and purchased a Leo Award nomination, and got one for best filmography for an episode that had a car passing in the background of an "uninhabited" planet billions of light years away.

Spin doctors are always going to tell you how delicious and yummy that turd on a doily is. They will talk about how people just stopped in their tracks to admire it's beauty, how there were lines around the corner to taste it, and tell you how special and awesome it is. That is their JOB to do that. But what's important is what people think after tasting the turd.

That is where we are with Discovery.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
All of you are going to keep being massively disappointed because you are all wrong. This show will probably be a success whether you like it or not.

I don't think so! It needs to be successful enough to pay for a second season through CBS All Access signups, and I think that the millennials who might like it are still not going to want to pay the membership monthly. Millennials are not a rich generation. They pay what amounts to a mortgage on their student loans, and they have very VERY short attention spans.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I don't think so! It needs to be successful enough to pay for a second season through CBS All Access signups, and I think that the millennials who might like it are still not going to want to pay the membership monthly. Millennials are not a rich generation. They pay what amounts to a mortgage on their student loans, and they have very VERY short attention spans.

Naw. That's narrow vision. You paint a picture as if only students would be interested in the show and if only cbs all access subscribers provide funding. There's a whole wide world out there you know.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
What I find funny is that some people think that if we don't like something, they immediately consider someone to be closed minded. Like as if I am going to blindly follow or like something that is this bad. I don't even like any of the characters. With TNG the characters were likeable and Patrick stewart executed some amazing quotes throughout the series. Looks like some fans have come out and vented their anger on facebook. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2040942429255585&id=122908054392375&fs=5

I am not going to watch it because it feels too dark and depressing and the Klingons voicing I can hardly hear what they are saying it sounds muddled and dampened.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Naw. That's narrow vision. You paint a picture as if only students would be interested in the show and if only cbs all access subscribers provide funding. There's a whole wide world out there you know.

Perhaps, but in the US where this show needs to succeed, people will need to pay for an All Access membership to watch legally. I did a cursory search of my "special" sources, and the episodes are in there in full HD. However, without paying the membership to CBS, they are not paying for any more of the show beyond what they stole from Netflix.

I might be inclined to defer if I saw that the JJ Abrams movies were gathering fans, but they aren't. Since the 2009 movie, the "fans" they got have peeled off. The last movie Beyond was considered a bomb, and Paramount has halted any 4th movie at this point. Star Trek Discovery is like the Abrams movies because Kurtzman created them. Why would the movies bomb, but the series be successful? That is illogical. I assume the series will follow in the footsteps of the movies, right into a stall, then a cancel.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What I find funny is that some people think that if we don't like something, they immediately consider someone to be closed minded. Like as if I am going to blindly follow or like something that is this bad. I don't even like any of the characters. With TNG the characters were likeable and Patrick stewart executed some amazing quotes throughout the series. Looks like some fans have come out and vented their anger on facebook. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2040942429255585&id=122908054392375&fs=5

I am not going to watch it because it feels too dark and depressing and the Klingons voicing I can hardly hear what they are saying it sounds muddled and dampened.

EXACTLY. I am not hating on it just because it isn't like "my" Trek. I just am not a fan of dark gunmetal gray plus blue and red lights and super bright floodlights. And the story....what story? There are two episodes, and nothing has happened! What IS there is so stupid and vapid, why should I want to watch this show? Even if it were called Universe Journey and had no Star Trek connection it would still be horrible.

True, there is a whole wide world out there, but that doesn't change the fact that this show is crap. Read any of the comments on any article regarding this show and you'll see a heavy percentage of people aren't happy with it. Public opinion shouldn't be discounted in this regard.

As for this show becoming a success, well, you know how this shit works nowadays. These corporations and studios and production companies are usually so deep into it financially they have no choice but to double-down and pretend things are great because "sunk cost". Maybe in the long, long, loooooooong run they can recoup their investment(s) but the goal is to get a rapid return on that money, not wait years and years to get it back. Waiting for residuals to trickle in from the hinterlands is not the goal of financially backing these shows. To think it is is just plain dumb. The producers want and expect to get a large, quick return from the United States and Canada. Sorry if you don't like that simply because you're a Euro living in a small country, but that doesn't change the economic reality at work here.

At any rate, this show is an obviously cynical attempt to cash in on the Star Trek market. Just watching the opening titles tells you it's a cynical piece of corporate shit.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

So....you like the show? I'm not mad at you if you do, I just want to know WHY?

main-qimg-f3cdf3c5c3911fcb2876ac78a5b6e95e.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
True, there is a whole wide world out there, but that doesn't change the fact that this show is crap. Read any of the comments on any article regarding this show and you'll see a heavy percentage of people aren't happy with it. Public opinion shouldn't be discounted in this regard.

As for this show becoming a success, well, you know how this shit works nowadays. These corporations and studios and production companies are usually so deep into it financially they have no choice but to double-down and pretend things are great because "sunk cost". Maybe in the long, long, loooooooong run they can recoup their investment(s) but the goal is to get a rapid on that money, not wait years and years to get it back. Waiting for residuals to trickle in from the hinterlands is the goal of financially backing these shows. To think it is is just plain dumb. The producers want and expect to get a large, quick return from the United States and Canada. Sorry if you don't like that simply because you're a Euro living in a small country, but that doesn't change the economic reality at work here.

At any rate, this show is an obviously cynical attempt to cash in on the Star Trek market. Just watching the opening titles tells you it's a cynical piece of corporate shit.

EXACTAMUNDO. They did the same exact thing with SGU. Same thing, from the Spin Group of certain media sites, the over-the-top press release, glowing articles with titles like" Star Trek Discovery warps into success with Trek fans on board all the way!" or "Star trek Discovery is the best of the old and new! Spock says Live Long and Prosper!". In reality, fans are furious, disappointed and angry that this thing even exists. But the spinning lasts only a little while. When the spin money runs out, all that is left is the continuing flood of negative comments and articles dragging it. Just like SGU.

EXACTAMUNDO. They did the same exact thing with SGU. Same thing, from the Spin Group of certain media sites, the over-the-top press release, glowing articles with titles like" Star Trek Discovery warps into success with Trek fans on board all the way!" or "Star trek Discovery is the best of the old and new! Spock says Live Long and Prosper!". In reality, fans are furious, disappointed and angry that this thing even exists. But the spinning lasts only a little while. When the spin money runs out, all that is left is the continuing flood of negative comments and articles dragging it. Just like SGU.

Remember that dumb show on SyFy called DEFIANCE? It got 3 seasons but that's only because they sunk an ungodly amount of money into it up front. They had no choice but to pretend it was a smash despite the fact that no one was really gung ho on it. It just wasn't that good. Had it been a genuine success it would either still be on TV or people would still be talking about it, but they aren't. No one even thinks about that show these days. It's been forgotten.

But at least DEFIANCE was an original production and didn't have established fans to piss off, unlike Discovery. SGU is a perfect example of what happens when you mess with an established story. Sure some people can claim SGU was a success because it got two seasons (:rolleye0014:) but those idiots are deluding themselves by ignoring how bad the show was and more importantly, the fact that no one wants it resurrected. The same thing can, and most likely will, happen to Discovery.