Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yup, the folks running STD cynically thought that raping the ST fanbase would be a guaranteed path to success. Seriously, their whole approach to the ST universe has been based on cynical exploitation. There's clearly no interest from the writers when it comes to legitimately exploring the ST canon.

Defiance, while cynical, wasn't nearly as bad as STD. Obviously the show didn't derive from an established story canon so it can't be criticized for that. But it had other issues and generally wasn't good so it deserved its fate. I haven't heard anything about that show (or game) since it got axed so I doubt it's still bringing in much money. Who is watching it? Where is it airing? Is it rattling around the Netflix bucket of crap TV shows? If so, it can't be bringing in that much in royalties at this point.

At any rate, Defiance stands as a cautionary tale about the dangers of investing hundreds of millions into a TV show. Even one based on a proven winning formula like Star Trek. You'd think that anyone investing that kind of cheddar would say to themselves 'Okay, we have to hone close to that which made the original a success, namely heroic leading characters the audience can relate to'. The last thing you do is change the story so drastically that the fans don't recognize it any longer. That's like buying the company that makes Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies but then removing the chocolate chips and replacing them with rodent turds, and replacing the sugar with salt, and replacing the butter with motor oil. But you keep advertising them as Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies and you keep insisting they taste great and are a smash hit. Most importantly you insist your rodent-turd cookies are selling amazingly well but you refuse to give out the actual sales figures for cookie sales. You just keep insisting that you've shipped out record numbers of cookies since you bought the company, but you most definitely don't release the figures for the vendor returns of those same cookies. You plug your ears, close your eyes, shake your head and keep blathering to anyone foolish enough to listen that your cookies are a success.

This may sound like a crazy scenario but it's exactly what TPTB have done with Star Trek ala STD. They took a successful recipe (Star Trek) and completely changed the ingredients until the recipe no longer resembled the original (STD). And to make matters worse they insisted on still calling it the same recipe. This can only be attributed to cynical, self-delusion, which can only last so long because reality will come crashing down eventually.

That's like buying the company that makes Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies but then removing the chocolate chips and replacing them with rodent turds, and replacing the sugar with salt, and replacing the butter with motor oil. But you keep advertising them as Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies and you keep insisting they taste great and are a smash hit.

:daniel_new_anime021::shep_lol::icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears::smiley-laughing024:

Look and see what they are doing for their "mirror universe" episode! The link contains spoilers for the entire first episode.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/08/star-trek-discovery-despite-yourself-premiere-mirror/

Excerpt:

Star Trek: Discovery was a bit of a diet beverage in its first nine-episode chapter. It chased two polar instincts, cutesy and militaristic, combining nonsensical fan service (hello, offscreen step-brother Spock!) and empty PG-14 subject matter (neck snaps and f-bombs!). But last night, while most of us were watching the Golden Globes, Discoveryaired a midseason premiere that constituted a near-total premise reboot. The way ahead is still foggy — the show loves those snapped necks—but this was the most fun I’ve had watching Discovery since its launch.

Here is Mirror Michael:

mirrormike.jpg

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

So, if I do a mirror episode of a dancing turd, what is on the other side of the mirror? A dancing turd wearing armor. Mkay, got it.:smiley-white-flag:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It won't matter if they do a "premise reboot" if they are still on this ship, wearing those uniforms and fighting Klingons that look like talking barbequed iguanas with marshmallows in their mouths. They can't fix it at this point, and this sooooo reminds me of what they tried with SGU in the second season. They threw in the wifi signal from God in there, and they promoted Chloe from the ship's bimbo to the ship's female genius (a la Summer from Firefly). They dredged up Sam, Jack and McKay and it didn't work.

What sort of hope is inspired by this bridge?

darkstdbridge.gif

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
btw--i signed up for the free all crapcess pass via amazon just so i could cancel it the next day. get another 'tick mark' in the cancellation column for them
Omg I am having an asthma attack I am laughing so hard ...
Freekin awesome dude !
;)

That's like buying the company that makes Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies but then removing the chocolate chips and replacing them with rodent turds, and replacing the sugar with salt, and replacing the butter with motor oil. But you keep advertising them as Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies and you keep insisting they taste great and are a smash hit.

:daniel_new_anime021::shep_lol::icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears::smiley-laughing024:

Look and see what they are doing for their "mirror universe" episode! The link contains spoilers for the entire first episode.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/08/star-trek-discovery-despite-yourself-premiere-mirror/

Excerpt:

Star Trek: Discovery was a bit of a diet beverage in its first nine-episode chapter. It chased two polar instincts, cutesy and militaristic, combining nonsensical fan service (hello, offscreen step-brother Spock!) and empty PG-14 subject matter (neck snaps and f-bombs!). But last night, while most of us were watching the Golden Globes, Discoveryaired a midseason premiere that constituted a near-total premise reboot. The way ahead is still foggy — the show loves those snapped necks—but this was the most fun I’ve had watching Discovery since its launch.

Here is Mirror Michael:

View attachment 33795

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

So, if I do a mirror episode of a dancing turd, what is on the other side of the mirror? A dancing turd wearing armor. Mkay, got it.:smiley-white-flag:

So is the mirror universe just one episode or is the show completely in this universe now? It sounds like they are going to stay in the mirror universe for awhile, which is absurd. You don't reboot a show in its first season, especially when you haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the original universe you were in.

My God, these writers are such idiots. :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So is the mirror universe just one episode or is the show completely in this universe now? It sounds like they are going to stay in the mirror universe for awhile, which is absurd. You don't reboot a show in its first season, especially when you haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the original universe you were in.

My God, these writers are such idiots. :facepalm:

I watched all the episodes on Kodi for free. If they aren't on there, I won't see them. But, I am TRYING to watch them. Just like I forced myself to watch SGU. I think they call this a "hate watch", right?

I watched all the episodes on Kodi for free. If they aren't on there, I won't see them. But, I am TRYING to watch them. Just like I forced myself to watch SGU. I think they call this a "hate watch", right?

Definite "hate watch", which is nothing to be ashamed of. It's your right as a Star Trek fan to watch and criticize this insult to the story you loved. Same with SGU, which was an affront to every Stargate fan out there. If anyone tries to shame you by saying 'if you hate it so much don't watch it' tell them to eat a kitty litter sandwich and pound sand. It's your right as a genuine fan.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was thinking that exact same thing when I saw that pic! She looks like a backup singer for a disco band.

Hey Michael, Patti LaBelle called, she kicked you out of the group and she wants her costume back. :icon_lol:

View attachment 33797
:icon_rotflmao::crying-028::SmileyLaughingTears::smiley-laughing024:

It's ridiculous. Especially if they stay there in their mirror universe! It's pointless. Why bother trying to write this as Star Trek? Bring on the space dragons! How about a transgender Q? Make the tribbles in the mirror universe carnivorous! Have all the crew wear swords.

:icon_rotflmao::crying-028::SmileyLaughingTears::smiley-laughing024:

It's ridiculous. Especially if they stay there in their mirror universe! It's pointless. Why bother trying to write this as Star Trek? Bring on the space dragons! How about a transgender Q? Make the tribbles in the mirror universe carnivorous! Have all the crew wear swords.

What confuses me is the fact that they abandoned the original story line (whatever that was) after only 9 episodes. Being that schizophrenic so early on in the story is not a good sign. It's also a good way to lose (more) viewers because it makes no sense. It's basically an admission that the writers don't have a clue what they're doing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If your gonna watch the series , best to watch it with this guy ...

It's almost as bad as what they did in Under The Dome. In that show, they basically ended the original story in the book, but they changed the ending and tacked on a whole new season with a new, dumber story which was not even remotely related to the first story. If done right, you can do that and make it work. I am not sure yet, but Once Upon A Time seems to have done it right. The original story ended at the end of Season 6, and all the threads were wrapped up. But they have started it up again using a few of the old characters in a new town and a new pivot character. But, it works. This one won't because it's supposed to be Star Trek. What are they talking about "premise reboot"? Star Trek already has a premise. Something wrong with that?

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Ewwww, these guys need a lesson in fashion sense. The costumes in the 60's and 90's look old fashion and out of trend but at least they look a hell of a lot better than the costumes. This trailer looks so BORING!!!

This is a hilarious review by SC. He mentions the disco part too :D

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
So I guess they will be showing full frontal nudity with full all out and out sex acts of both sexes and of course interracial spore sex with one of the crew members while using the f word the whole episode ... Every single word will be f#;# f#;# f#;# f#;# f#;# f#;# f#;# f#;# f#;# naked f#;# f#;# f#;# , full frontal f#;# f#;# f#;# f#; f#; f#; f#;# f#;#
Just perfect for the whole family ... Welcome to the new era of shit is the new gold in holly weird
:facepalm:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
They would be foolish to continue with Discovery if it isn't doing well on CBS All Access. At 8 million per episode, they would have to be losing money.
Not their Money. They're all laughing and hugging their wads of cash that is in their million dollar mansion. These assholes that are TPTB don't have any guilty conscious. This is the money from investors who have foolishly giving away their money to this company. I don't care what their SP is but their content sucks at the moment.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yup, the folks running STD cynically thought that raping the ST fanbase would be a guaranteed path to success. Seriously, their whole approach to the ST universe has been based on cynical exploitation. There's clearly no interest from the writers when it comes to legitimately exploring the ST canon.

Defiance, while cynical, wasn't nearly as bad as STD. Obviously the show didn't derive from an established story canon so it can't be criticized for that. But it had other issues and generally wasn't good so it deserved its fate. I haven't heard anything about that show (or game) since it got axed so I doubt it's still bringing in much money. Who is watching it? Where is it airing? Is it rattling around the Netflix bucket of crap TV shows? If so, it can't be bringing in that much in royalties at this point.

At any rate, Defiance stands as a cautionary tale about the dangers of investing hundreds of millions into a TV show. Even one based on a proven winning formula like Star Trek. You'd think that anyone investing that kind of cheddar would say to themselves 'Okay, we have to hone close to that which made the original a success, namely heroic leading characters the audience can relate to'. The last thing you do is change the story so drastically that the fans don't recognize it any longer. That's like buying the company that makes Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies but then removing the chocolate chips and replacing them with rodent turds, and replacing the sugar with salt, and replacing the butter with motor oil. But you keep advertising them as Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies and you keep insisting they taste great and are a smash hit. Most importantly you insist your rodent-turd cookies are selling amazingly well but you refuse to give out the actual sales figures for cookie sales. You just keep insisting that you've shipped out record numbers of cookies since you bought the company, but you most definitely don't release the figures for the vendor returns of those same cookies. You plug your ears, close your eyes, shake your head and keep blathering to anyone foolish enough to listen that your cookies are a success.

This may sound like a crazy scenario but it's exactly what TPTB have done with Star Trek ala STD. They took a successful recipe (Star Trek) and completely changed the ingredients until the recipe no longer resembled the original (STD). And to make matters worse they insisted on still calling it the same recipe. This can only be attributed to cynical, self-delusion, which can only last so long because reality will come crashing down eventually.
But being provocative is what has managed to sell a show. It has worked in the past and you can guarantee that they'll keep trying until they succeed. It's the same tactics used by the media. They have quite provocative/click baity articles. People know it's all hyperbole but people still click on it. Trolling is an art and the writers know this. People(and this includes you and I ) are drawn to negativity as you can see with this thread. It has managed to reach 34 pages despite us not liking it all. We don't seem to focus on the Orville as much.

Last edited:
But being provocative is what has managed to sell a show. It has worked in the past and you can guarantee that they'll keep trying until they succeed. It's the same tactics used by the media. They have quite provocative/click baity articles. People know it's all hyperbole but people still click on it. Trolling is an art and the writers know this. People(and this includes you and I ) are drawn to negativity as you can see with this thread. It has managed to reach 34 pages despite us not liking it all. We don't seem to focus on the Orville as much.

Right, but the difference is that we're not paying to participate here unlike viewers of STD here in America that have to pay CBS No Access to watch the show. "Provocative" might get people to sign up to that streaming service but it won't keep them. It doesn't take long for people to figure out that they've been tricked and what they signed up for is not Star Trek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Still, what it comes down to is are there enough viewers/subscribers to keep this show afloat? I don't think so. The "countermeasures" are already in play for Season 2, and the fan buzz is just not there. The shill articles are so obviously over the top and the comment sections where they target swarm them and call them out for shilling. CBS No Access (love that!) is just not all that at all. Imagine taking some old guy's DVD collection or perhaps the dead inventory of a shuttered Video Rental store full of VHS films, then trying to make a streaming service using that content and you have CBS No Access.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Right, but the difference is that we're not paying to participate here unlike viewers of STD here in America that have to pay CBS No Access to watch the show. "Provocative" might get people to sign up to that streaming service but it won't keep them. It doesn't take long for people to figure out that they've been tricked and what they signed up for is not Star Trek.
but people talking negativity is what's bringing in the audience and is getting people talking about Star Trek. No matter how you put it, Discovery IS and HAS brought in new Star Trek fans. It's still getting people to talk. Talking generates people gathering. People gathering generates a movement therefore an agenda. There are a few of us that won't sign up but a lot of the star trek fans will sign up to CBS all access because it's only 7 or 8 bucks a month?