Star Trek: Discovery: Season 2. The Ultimate Backpedal

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery does a fast backpedal from their original form and premise to try and align it with the prime Star Trek timeline. Too late, folks!

This thread is separate from the Star Trek Discovery SUCKS thread because of one defining prediction: Season 2 is likely the final season of STD.

The Ultimate Backpedal

This show which claimed to be in the Star Trek prime timeline has started the Klingon War and ended it in the dumbest way. They introduced the nonsensical "spore drive" and dumped it, ventured into the Mirror Universe where they did not belong and ruined that alternate timeline, killed off a Starfleet Captain and then resurrected her, killed off the Captain of the Discovery, and given us the most ridiculous Klingons ever seen in Trek. But all of that changes for Season 2.

Enterprise_Meets_Discovery.jpg

1.) They have called out for help, in a last ditch effort to pull themselves out of the quicksand that Season 1 created for this show, by trying to bring in the USS Enterprise and Captain Pike.

For those who aren't aware, Captain Pike will be taking command of Discovery for all of Season 2. This is the ultimate backpedal, given that Spock would have then been forced to take command of the Enterprise which we know he never did, and why would Starfleet reassign Captain Pike to another ship when the Enterprise was the flagship of the Federation? While they are at it, they are changing the uniforms too. At least for Pike and a couple of his officers:

STD_retcon.jpg

2.) Lack of numbers from CBS All Access

These abrupt changes tell us that Season 1 of Star Trek: Discovery was a complete fail. All of the writers have been fired. Now, Alex Kurtzman, the man responsible for giving us the failed Kelvin timeline and the absurd concepts in the Abrams movie like transwarp beaming, portable transporters which can beam from earth to Quo'nos (the Klingon homeworld), red matter and a pale white British Kahn Noonien Singh, is in charge of Star Trek on TV which spells a big fat FAIL. If the show was a success, CBS would be bragging about it. Instead, we get a ripped off turbolift scene from The Orville! Speaking of The Orville on Fox, they are bragging about THOSE numbers because they can.

IndieWire said:
“The Orville” has already been renewed for a second season. The show’s series premiere averaged more than 14 million viewers across platforms, Fox’s most-watched series launch since “Empire” in 2015.

3.) They are changing the Klingons already, LOL.

One of the biggest gripes about STD is those awful Klingons. Besides the dumb clownish rubber and costumes, the mealy mouthed scenes with subtitles was such a fail that many people grabbed their remotes the moment they appeared.

stupidSTDklingon.jpg

Word has it that somebody was tasked to consult canon, and it turns out that Kahless threw a lock of his hair (which the STD Klingons do not have) into molten lava and fashioned it into a sword. The Kelvin version of Klingons lacked hair too. No other Klingons in Star Trek have ever been hairless. To hear Alex Kurtzman say he cares about canon is a flat out lie. He did everything he could to avoid canon and anything related to Star Trek. Nevertheless, he is being forced to change the Klingons for Season 2, which means that they will have hair. FAIL. I think we will simply see these same awful Klingons, only with hair.

KlingonwithHair.png

Also, they are evidently going to go with an episodic format and dump the serial format for Season 2 (like the original Star Trek). But because Alex Kurtzman only has experience writing fluff like Hercules and Xena Warrior Princess and Transformers and movie duds like The Mummy (the bombed one), nobody should expect he will get it right with Season 2 of Discovery.

The bottom line is that this complete teardown and redo of Discovery is very telling. It tells of a frustrated studio which has dumped millions into this show telling Kurtzman to shit or get off the pot. This is a lose-lose proposition, because the NuTrek fans of STD are not going to relate to or understand who Captain Pike is, why he is in the show or why they are changing everything. The original fans know why he is changing everything, but we have already written this show off as being non-canon and non-Trek.

Give us your thoughts!

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Do the Klingons speak the canon Klingon language at least?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When does season 2 air?

I feel it bubbling through my intestines. :) They have not published it, but there is LOTS of work to be done before they can go forward.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
January or February 2019.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I feel it bubbling through my intestines. :) They have not published it, but there is LOTS of work to be done before they can go forward.
When does season 2 air?
Early 2019 is the release date. Still, it's a train wreck. This is why they've asked for a longer time frame to try and fix this mess, but I don't think they're going to have the time to fix it. The problem is a fundamental one. If you don't have the right people for the Job, no matter how much money you throw at it, you are not going to get the desired results. It's the same way to make food. If you don't have the right flavours and ingridients, and follow the recipe to the letter, you are not going to get the desired results.Writing a good story is a Science.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Early 2019 is the release date. Still, it's a train wreck. This is why they've asked for a longer time frame to try and fix this mess, but I don't think they're going to have the time to fix it. The problem is a fundamental one. If you don't have the right people for the Job, no matter how much money you throw at it, you are not going to get the desired results. It's the same way to make food. If you don't have the right flavours and ingredients, and follow the recipe to the letter, you are not going to get the desired results.Writing a good story is a Science.

BINGO (bolded). It won't be fixed even if they take 10 years. The wrong person is at the helm, and because of that, anything coming out of his "Star Trek" camp is going to be flawed. He simply does not understand Star Trek. It isn't because of taste or lack of being able to write, it is just that he can't write science fiction and most certainly not Star Trek. He is drawing upon all of his experience, but that experience is with Xena, Hercules, Transformers, Fringe, Hawaii Five-O....nothing remotely as challenging as Star Trek. Like you said, without the right flavors and ingredients, you are not going to get the desired result. He does not have Star Trek in him. It just isn't there. That is not a fault or an attack, it's a simple reality of the situation. His strategy up to now has been to just do what he knows and put a Star Trek sticker on it and dress it up (kinda) to seem related to Star Trek. But that has been a fail in the movies and now with Discovery. He appears to be trying to patch it up with Patrick Stewart coming into his camp as "Picard", but because he does not know how to write Star Trek, and because he does not know about Picard's role in Star Trek, he will get it all wrong. I have ZERO faith in his ability to pull it off.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
BINGO (bolded). It won't be fixed even if they take 10 years. The wrong person is at the helm, and because of that, anything coming out of his "Star Trek" camp is going to be flawed. He simply does not understand Star Trek. It isn't because of taste or lack of being able to write, it is just that he can't write science fiction and most certainly not Star Trek. He is drawing upon all of his experience, but that experience is with Xena, Hercules, Transformers, Fringe, Hawaii Five-O....nothing remotely as challenging as Star Trek. Like you said, without the right flavors and ingredients, you are not going to get the desired result. He does not have Star Trek in him. It just isn't there. That is not a fault or an attack, it's a simple reality of the situation. His strategy up to now has been to just do what he knows and put a Star Trek sticker on it and dress it up (kinda) to seem related to Star Trek. But that has been a fail in the movies and now with Discovery. He appears to be trying to patch it up with Patrick Stewart coming into his camp as "Picard", but because he does not know how to write Star Trek, and because he does not know about Picard's role in Star Trek, he will get it all wrong. I have ZERO faith in his ability to pull it off.
This will follow the same tone/style like Into the Darkness with cheesy humour added on top of it.Acts like this should be crime because it's criminal to shitting on a work of art like star trek. Him using Piccard is mainly to bump up the subscription of CBS all access.That has to be the only reason. Otherwise, this is going to tank and they'll be forced to shelve star trek completely. They will be successful, but I won't be getting CBS all access because the piccard star trek will be different than the star trek we remember. I am going to guess that this is going to be more like nemesis which wasn't a great star trek movie.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This will follow the same tone/style like Into the Darkness with cheesy humour added on top of it.Acts like this should be crime because it's criminal to shitting on a work of art like star trek. Him using Piccard is mainly to bump up the subscription of CBS all access.That has to be the only reason. Otherwise, this is going to tank and they'll be forced to shelve star trek completely. They will be successful, but I won't be getting CBS all access because the piccard star trek will be different than the star trek we remember. I am going to guess that this is going to be more like nemesis which wasn't a great star trek movie.

I think they will have a lot of revisionist "flashbacks", showing him on one of the dumb Kelvin type ships "reflecting". They will have him backing the Kelvin tech like spore drive, maybe not. Whatever we get, it will not be anything familiar if Kurtzman is in charge of it. I think they are going to Last Jedi him like they did Luke Skywalker. Maybe he will be a brooding, grumpy old man. Or, he might be the doddering old granddad type like he was in "All Good Things". Hard to guess, but not hard to assume they will get it wrong.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

they need a good deal on some industrial sized erasers and big pencils to put them on.....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
they need a good deal on some industrial sized erasers and big pencils to put them on.....

I think that after Stewart sees what they have planned, he will be unhappy and will throw shade at the finished production like Mark Hamill did to The Last Jedi. They WILL get it wrong. The only way they have a chance at remotely being familiar is if they get actual Star Trek writers involved. Get Berman or Piller. Even Bryan Fuller. But Kurtzman has to take a hands off approach because he does not get it.

I think that after Stewart sees what they have planned, he will be unhappy and will throw shade at the finished production like Mark Hamill did to The Last Jedi. They WILL get it wrong. The only way they have a chance at remotely being familiar is if they get actual Star Trek writers involved. Get Berman or Piller. Even Bryan Fuller. But Kurtzman has to take a hands off approach because he does not get it.

Pretty much this. They have to get some genuine STNG alumnus to write Picard. This character can't be trusted to the likes of Kurtzman. If they do let Kurtzman or someone new write the character we will not get Jean Luc Picard. We will get a distorted facsimile chock full of faux internal conflicts that won't ring true.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
They are going to explain it that the Klingons have found of one lost artefacts of Kahless. His Rogaine.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They are going to explain it that the Klingons have found of one lost artefacts of Kahless. His Rogaine.
:icon_rotflmao::crying-028::shep_lol::joy::laughing::smiley-laughing024:

:) What I can't get over is how they got to the hairless Klingons in the first place. We first saw them in the 2009 movie (again, Kurtzman). Who allowed that decision to be made? They had an opportunity to fix it in Discovery, and failed. I remember when somebody posted the first pictures of them here, and several of us remarked on it. Somebody suggested that perhaps they were pictures without their wigs. But I remember pointing out that the skulls were detailed all the way around the head, which would make no sense if you were going to put a wig on them.

I bet 100% that we will see the same Klingons they created, only with long hair on them like the TNG Klingons. The problem with that will be the canon of TOS which gave them a much more humanoid appearance with more traditional haircuts like humans wear (all with black hair). They can't gloss over that without ruining Worf's explanation for them in DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations".

How come I know the canon by heart and these clowns working on this show do not? I am a Star Trek fan, and not even a rabid one. :disturbed:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A Section 31 show starring Michelle Yeoh? OMFG make it stop!

https://trekmovie.com/2018/11/09/report-michelle-yeoh-in-talks-for-star-trek-section-31-series/

Star Trek: Section 31?

Deadline is reporting exclusively that CBS is in talks with actress Michelle Yeoh to lead a new Star Trek TV series. First appearing in Star Trek: Discovery’s 2-part pilot where her character of Captain Georgiou was killed off, Yeoh still returned a number of times during the first season, most notably playing Geogiou’s Mirror Universe counterpart. Yeoh and both of her characters have proven to be popular with fans and the actress is also riding high as one of the stars of the current hit movie Crazy Rich Asians.

The CBS plan would be for Yeoh to play her Emperor Georgiou character, in her capacity as an operative for Section 31. Yeoh is already set to appear in the second season of Discovery and was featured in the NYCC trailer in her Section 31 outfit. According to the report, the Yeoh Star Trek show is in the early planning stages, but “looks likely to focus on a continuation of her Discovery Season 2 adventures in Starfleet’s Section 31 division.” There is no indication yet if they are looking at this show as a limited or ongoing series.

Fail1.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Who is financing all this shit? Do they own the printing presses?

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

Kurtzman - "HEY! The fans are noticing that weird robot looking alien on the bridge, so give it it's own show! Gotta make some money up in here"

Mendeigh (pronounced Mindy) from Production - "But, he doesn't have a name or a gender"

Kurtzman - "Give it a name and a gender and give me a rough storyboard of the new show we are going to make for it ASAP!"

Mendeigh (hanging head) - "Yes sir"

Both Klutzman and Jar Jar Abrams have a predictable M.O., like Abrams is a hack reskinner. He takes somebody else's ideas, then makes blunt changes and switches around elements to come up with everything he does. There is not an original bone in his body. Kurtzman believes in popularity by association. By putting Leonard Nimoy in the 2009 movie and Into Darkness, he hoped that Nimoy would transfer cred to his crappy story. In Discovery, it was the Gorn and Tribble thrown in, and constant references to things in TOS. For season 2, it is Spock, the Enterprise, Pike and Mudd (again). Michelle Yeoh is in because the highest viewership (still a very low bar) was for episodes she was in. Picard's new show is more of that, in hopes that the massive Star Trek fanbase might be interested after summarily dismissing this crap as not being Star Trek. Well Klutzman, it ain't gonna happen.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.gif

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The thing is Michelle Yeoh is a very good actress and far and away the best actress in this cast. Give her good writing and she can really shine. But if anyone thinks Kurtzman will give her good writing they are in for a disappointment.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The thing is Michelle Yeoh is a very good actress and far and away the best actress in this cast. Give her good writing and she can really shine. But if anyone thinks Kurtzman will give her good writing they are in for a disappointment.

Make her a Captain again, of the Shenzhou and send the ship through a portal which shoots them into the timeline after Nemesis

Last edited: