Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
std.jpg

OMG Star Trek Discovery sucks harder than a supermassive black hole. I am fresh off watching the premiere episode of Discovery and I am disgusted, appalled, and angry that Paramount/CBS allowed this to be produced. First things first: This is a personal opinion, coming from somebody who has been an avid Star Trek fan since 1966 when it was new on television. I have been an avid van through the hiatus between TOS and Star Trek The Motion Picture, then through TNG and all the other movies, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. And yes, the Animated Series. I have attended several Star Trek conventions (never in costume though). I have managed to meet every TOS character actor in person, and I even lived with one of the iconic female actresses from the show, and to this day I have her adopted cat living with me in my home. I have watched all of the Abrams "Kelvinverse" movies, and now Discovery. Having said that, now I say this:

Star Trek Discovery SUCKS
Racism in Discovery? Somebody not that intelligent decided to bring the 19th century idea of "race" into this show. First, with the Klingons saying something about the color of the skin being something relevant in the Klingon culture, then again when some unnamed Admiral from Starfleet directing a race-related comment at Michael in the Captain's ready room. This is Star Trek, and by the 23rd century, such commentary is not at all relevant or useful. This is the fault of a writer unable to understand the Trek universe and what it became after WWIII.

Trek Disconnect. The show begins with disconnected graphics barely worthy of a cartoon or live action comic book show. The music is orchestral, but does not convey any sort of wonder or excitement because of the dumb graphics playing in the background. The babbling on the surface of a desert planet, talk of getting stranded on the surface because of a storm, and an aweigh team consisting of ONLY the Captain and the XO without a security team or science team is just not Starfleet protocol. Michael refers to "General Order One" instead of the Prime Directive. The tech and the look of the show is not remotely Star Trek.

This element of the show is it's fatal flaw. There is absolutely no way to mentally connect the sights and sounds and events of this show with any of what we have seen in any Star Trek show. They send Michael into a highly irradiated nebula or cloud or whatever they were calling it, instead of using a probe? Then after she lands on some dumb structure which is supposed to be Klingon, and kills one, then comes back to the ship and damn near takes over the ship after assaulting the Captain? I am so full of disgust at this point, it's hard to get it all out in this comment. Michael gets up from Sick Bay, irradiated, and makes her way to the Bridge (contaminating everyone along the way). There was a flashback where she is in the Vulcan Academy and she is crying because of the Klingons because they killed her parents. Sarek is there too? It's just horrible.

I have to stop here. I am so disappointed in this show, and there is so much more to say but I think maybe I need to come back to this later.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just canceled my subscription to CBS All Access.

1. Signed up for CBS All Access commercial-free, with 2 days free. Watched Star Trek Discovery first episode. Uttered the phrase "This is soooo DUMB" at least two dozen times throughout the show. Finished the episode, and did not bother to click the second one.

2. Went to my Account Page to locate the Cancel link:

1cancelALLACCESS.PNG
3. Agreed to the cancellation terms.

cancelALLACCESS.PNG
4. Confirmed my cancellation was in process:

3cancelALLACCESS.PNG

4. Came here and created this SUCKS thread.

At least something good came of it!

heisenberg

Earl Grey
OMG Star Trek Discovery sucks harder than a supermassive black hole. I am fresh off watching the premiere episode of Discovery and I am disgusted, appalled, and angry that Paramount/CBS allowed this to be produced. First things first: This is a personal opinion, coming from somebody who has been an avid Star Trek fan since 1966 when it was new on television. I have been an avid van through the hiatus between TOS and Star Trek The Motion Picture, then through TNG and all the other movies, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. And yes, the Animated Series. I have attended several Star Trek conventions (never in costume though). I have managed to meet every TOS character actor in person, and I even lived with one of the iconic female actresses from the show, and to this day I have her adopted cat living with me in my home. I have watched all of the Abrams "Kelvinverse" movies, and now Discovery. Having said that, now I say this:

Star Trek Discovery SUCKS
Racism in Discovery? Somebody not that intelligent decided to bring the 19th century idea of "race" into this show. First, with the Klingons saying something about the color of the skin being something relevant in the Klingon culture, then again when some unnamed Admiral from Starfleet directing a race-related comment at Michael in the Captain's ready room. This is Star Trek, and by the 23rd century, such commentary is not at all relevant or useful. This is the fault of a writer unable to understand the Trek universe and what it became after WWIII.

Trek Disconnect. The show begins with disconnected graphics barely worthy of a cartoon or live action comic book show. The music is orchestral, but does not convey any sort of wonder or excitement because of the dumb graphics playing in the background. The babbling on the surface of a desert planet, talk of getting stranded on the surface because of a storm, and an aweigh team consisting of ONLY the Captain and the XO without a security team or science team is just not Starfleet protocol. Michael refers to "General Order One" instead of the Prime Directive. The tech and the look of the show is not remotely Star Trek.

This element of the show is it's fatal flaw. There is absolutely no way to mentally connect the sights and sounds and events of this show with any of what we have seen in any Star Trek show. They send Michael into a highly irradiated nebula or cloud or whatever they were calling it, instead of using a probe? Then after she lands on some dumb structure which is supposed to be Klingon, and kills one, then comes back to the ship and damn near takes over the ship after assaulting the Captain? I am so full of disgust at this point, it's hard to get it all out in this comment. Michael gets up from Sick Bay, irradiated, and makes her way to the Bridge (contaminating everyone along the way). There was a flashback where she is in the Vulcan Academy and she is crying because of the Klingons because they killed her parents. Sarek is there too? It's just horrible.

I have to stop here. I am so disappointed in this show, and there is so much more to say but I think maybe I need to come back to this later.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

NO WONDER they did not screen this for critics, It totally sucks. There is literally nothing good about it, except the effects. The ships suck, the look of the weapons and the battles suck, the film angles and the way they close up on the actors is unappealing, the sets are too dark and too bright at the same time. There is too much lens flare, too many bright lights, the tech is too advanced and overdone, and the dialogue sucks. Nobody in it can act.

What the fuck? It sucks so bad!

heisenberg

Earl Grey
NO WONDER they did not screen this for critics, It totally sucks. There is literally nothing good about it, except the effects. The ships suck, the look of the weapons and the battles suck, the film angles and the way they close up on the actors is unappealing, the sets are too dark and too bright at the same time. There is too much lens flare, too many bright lights, the tech is too advanced and overdone, and the dialogue sucks. Nobody in it can act.

What the fuck? It sucks so bad!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

This week should tell CBS how badly they have failed. I am seeing the expected spinning on certain media sites, like they were doing for SGU when in real life it was failing fatally. I think that no more than 5 episodes in, this show will already be such a fail that CBS will prep it's cancellation. It's really that bad. I can't even imagine the JJ Abrams fans liking this for much longer.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This week should tell CBS how badly they have failed. I am seeing the expected spinning on certain media sites, like they were doing for SGU when in real life it was failing fatally. I think that no more than 5 episodes in, this show will already be such a fail that CBS will prep it's cancellation. It's really that bad. I can't even imagine the JJ Abrams fans liking this for much longer.
JJ Abrams/NUBSG fans will like this show. It's basically Star wars meets Battlestar Galactica. The only ones that won't will be old trekkies, new people who have never heard or liked star trek. I also think that arguing with people who think that this isn't Kelvin Timeline is like talking to a Pigeon.

Now I know why Bryan Fuller left. He left because he must have had creative differences b/w where he wanted to take Trek and where CBS wanted to take Trek. Basically, CBS wanted their own Lame of Thrones so they choose Trek.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
What the fuck? Preview of episode 3. This is EVEN WORSE...They've fucked this up. So now Vulcans are seen as violent people.... :rolleyes:

meanwhile on reddit. :facepalm: :rolleyes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/729s3e/i_actually_really_liked_the_pilot_and_im_excited/

Last edited:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Now where I have I seen this before?

This is an EXACT Copy & paste of Abrams era from this link above.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
We watched Lord of the Rings on Netflix last night and figured we will watch Discovery on Kodi eventually . From your reviews I think I will give it a miss and just join in with the cancellation bear when it comes around a few months from now ...
From what you say and feel OM1 is the same way I felt watching that first ep of sgu ... So I will give this a miss . I do not want to feel so ill watching a show I enjoyed become a pile of space dung ,,,

:hypnotysed: :hypnotysed: :hypnotysed:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
ty for the info, already decided not to bother, you just confirmed I was right!!!

I'm assuming at this point it's okay to not put things in spoiler tags.

To start, the biggest problem I have is the unbelievable mutiny that Michael pulled towards the end of the episode. It literally was not believable. They make it a point to explain that she has served as First officer for 7 years and that she's ready for her own command. But how is it possible that she made it through Star Fleet and didn't once show any signs of mental instability? There's simply no way an officer of her rank and experience would go mutinous on the drop of a dime. Surely she had training for battle situations and was evaluated on her ability to handle them. So the part about her assaulting the captain and trying to fire weapons made no sense at all. It was just really bad writing. A good writer would have been able to come up with a more plausible reason for her going rogue. Unfortunately this show doesn't have good writers.

As for the Klingons, I really don't care about them. Their look and style is dumb and I don't find them threatening at all. There's not even a sense of malevolence from them, there's just a lot of bad puffing and posturing. Every time there was a scene with the Klingons it felt like I was watching a high school play.

I'm on the fence about the holographic communicator. It seems like something that would be available by that point in time. But it was dumb to have Sarek walk around and sit on the edge of Michael's desk (piece of furniture) while being a hologram. (I'm not the only one who caught that, right?) It simply didn't make sense. If he is on another planet being projected as a hologram why would he be able to take a seat on some of her furniture? That's just dumb.

What else is dumb is Michael leaving the bridge during the crisis to go have a heart-to-heart with her Vulcan grade school teacher. Yeah honey, whatever you do don't trust the captain you've served under for the better part of a decade to guide you in this moment. And definitely don't trust the countless hours of Star Fleet training that have prepared you for battle situations. It's better to just drop everything, leave your commander and your crew mates in the lurch so you can go talk about Vulcan history with your Daddy/teacher. Someone please, give that girl her own ship to command! :rolleye0014::icon_lol:

I also didn't care for the dark, dour Abrams look for the bridge of the ship. What a depressing place. Perhaps that's what drove Michael to lose her mind; having to work in a place with all the lighting of a walk-in closet.

At any rate, there's more, always more, but it's barely worth it to analyze. This show is shit. It won't be a success. CBS and Netflix are doing their best to hype it as being a hit, but we all know the truth. ;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
The dark bridge sounds like they went all sgu on it . The new treks have stupidly bright bridges that I found kinda blinding but super pukish when spark and oh horror did the on bridge smooch thing ... That scarred me for life . Who kisses another officer on deck !!! Why do I hear the Love Boat theme in the background ! There would be a mutiny and they wud both be tossed into space with out there helmets ...

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lest we forget this show is set before the timelines fully split so the issues are worse. The Kelvinverse was created when Nero destroyed USS Kelvin true but the BIG split happened later when he attacked Vulcan.

The dark bridge sounds like they went all sgu on it . The new treks have stupidly bright bridges that I found kinda blinding but super pukish when spark and oh horror did the on bridge smooch thing ... That scarred me for life . Who kisses another officer on deck !!! Why do I hear the Love Boat theme in the background ! There would be a mutiny and they wud both be tossed into space with out there helmets ...

You're right about the bridge, it's more like SGU than it is Abramms. I guess I was confused by the lens flares and the tilted camera angles.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
What did I just watch? Special effects are the only good thing. Acting seems a bit off people will blindly love it because of things blowing up or the special effects.

I hope it gets better, because the 1st season of Enterprise wasn't great either but at least that was more authentic by sticking to a tech that was relevant for it's timeline. This...... I just don't know what to say but what a load of crap it is and having tech that is way too advanced and polished.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You're right about the bridge, it's more like SGU than it is Abramms. I guess I was confused by the lens flares and the tilted camera angles.
Lest we forget this show is set before the timelines fully split so the issues are worse. The Kelvinverse was created when Nero destroyed USS Kelvin true but the BIG split happened later when he attacked Vulcan.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-sunday-sept-24-2017/

The ratings aren't what I call stellar either. Infact, the Orville did better in the most important demographic.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Look I was willing to give it a go but I think the show is trying too hard to be way different. Also, the guy behind it ie Alex kurtzman is the same guy who directed the awful mummy reboot and we know how bad that was even though it did well at the box office.