• Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Star Trek Discovery star Doug Jones? The show isn't even released yet and he is the star? WTF! I'm not even watching that video.
I agree here. He looks like a creepy fuck. Don't believe me? Even the casting crew agree that most of his role has been playing a creepy fuck
Code:
https://imgur.com/gallery/FkZat

Had to do this on purpose because this things can't embed the whole series of photos. Copy and paste the link above to see

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I agree here. He looks like a creepy fuck. Don't believe me? Even the casting crew agree that most of his role has been playing a creepy fuck
Code:
https://imgur.com/gallery/FkZat

Had to do this on purpose because this things can't embed the whole series of photos. Copy and paste the link above to see

Man that is a serious streak of creepy characters. Impressive.

I don't begrudge an actor getting work. And to be honest who is going to turn down a paycheck, especially when it's for something with the name "Star Trek" attached to it? Not many actors are going to say no to that. No point in becoming a pariah in the industry when you know the shit is going to get made with or without you. Besides, the acting doesn't seem to be the problem with this turkey. From what we can tell the writing and production is the problem.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I wasn't born in the 60s or 70s but as far I can see from history, we had the vietnam war, the cold war which went on for 50 god damn years, the cuban missile crisis so why do these dickhead writers need to write a series like this when now it isn't as bad as this moron in the article says it is?

Isaacs signed on because of the message the show sends in the Trump-Brexit era. “The world is complicated and horrible, and I don’t know how to explain to my children the insanity of the people who are in charge of it at the moment,” he says. “I thought it was a good story to tell — and something I would be happy to watch — about presenting a vision of the world that’s full of drama but also full of resolution and unity.”
Do these people have a short term memory that they completely forgot 50 years?

With that much money invested in it chances are it has a built-in guarantee of several seasons. There's no way they would risk that much money without CBS guaranteeing a several-season run. The sad thing is that they believe this guarantees the show will be a hit when in actuality it guarantees nothing. Well you know what they say, fools and their money are soon parted. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
With that much money invested in it chances are it has a built-in guarantee of several seasons. There's no way they would risk that much money without CBS guaranteeing a several-season run. The sad thing is that they believe this guarantees the show will be a hit when in actuality it guarantees nothing. Well you know what they say, fools and their money are soon parted. ;)

Most of that money came from Netflix. It pays for about a season of this thing from what I heard. It's 6 million per episode, plus the salaries of the actors and cost of the sets and production. $125 million that they got from Netflix is not really that much money. CBS is in a no-risk scenario.

Most of that money came from Netflix. It pays for about a season of this thing from what I heard. It's 6 million per episode, plus the salaries of the actors and cost of the sets and production. $125 million that they got from Netflix is not really that much money. CBS is in a no-risk scenario.

Wait -- they got money from Netflix? But I thought CBS was creating their own streaming service to compete with Netflix?
Enlighten me here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wait -- they got money from Netflix? But I thought CBS was creating their own streaming service to compete with Netflix?
Enlighten me here.

blogger-image--1699008850.jpg

You don't know? :)

https://trekmovie.com/2017/05/03/st...on-for-fall-cbs-ceo-talks-netflix-importance/

Netflix is a partner in this show, but they dropped $125 million on it before they knew that Kurtzman and friends were going to change it into something else. It's covered in this thread near the beginning. It was enough to pay for the entire production for the first season, plus salaries and the sets. CBS is in this risk free, except for them counting on CBS All Access to get a boost because of this show being on it, which may have worked for UPN (which later became CW) but may not for this.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At least the movie side of the spectrum had an excuse for not being able to exactly toe the line on the visual elements - and this article notes what the Meyer project YouTube states, namely that Trek in a business sense is split into two pieces. Paramount owns one and CBS owns another with the copyrights split too.

Kurtzman has no excuse for the crap he's shoveling as CBS is the one holding the visual element copyrights. If he REALLY thinks people are going to go behind a paywall to see an angsty, visually unappealing pseudo-Trek he has a rude awakening coming.

View attachment 33475

You don't know? :)

https://trekmovie.com/2017/05/03/st...on-for-fall-cbs-ceo-talks-netflix-importance/

Netflix is a partner in this show, but they dropped $125 million on it before they knew that Kurtzman and friends were going to change it into something else. It's covered in this thread near the beginning. It was enough to pay for the entire production for the first season, plus salaries and the sets. CBS is in this risk free, except for them counting on CBS All Access to get a boost because of this show being on it, which may have worked for UPN (which later became CW) but may not for this.

I barely have the energy to unscrew the cap off a Jack Daniels bottle. Do you really expect me to read other people's posts? Why don't you just ask me to donate a kidney to an orphan or something? ;)

At any rate, this show is being bankrolled by Netflix but it's going to have its first run on CBS on Demand (or whatever it's called)? That is beyond idiotic. The people running Netflix are complete morons and should be replaced. That company is hemorrhaging money and making the worst sorts of investment decisions possible. And the worst part is when they get fired they're going to get a severance package in the tens of millions (or more). Christ, we really are living in the time of bread and circuses. There's no one held accountable for anything going wrong these days. How pathetic.

BTW, Netflix claims it just added 66 new shows and movies, but when I looked it appears to be nothing but Bollywood nonsense. And worse, they keep listing old shows that they have offered for awhile now as "New Arrivals". They aren't even trying to cover their bait and switch tactics anymore. It's just sad. We should probably start a poll asking people how long before Netflix tanks. That's how egregious their tactics are. Netflix is cancer.

*I honestly believe that had they spent their billions securing the rights to first run, popular content they would be ahead of the game at this point. Instead they decided to cheap-out on paying royalties to major studios, then wasted hundreds of millions (billions) producing their own mediocre content. And then they decided to flesh out their library with shitty foreign productions as if we won't notice the complete lack of quality to their offerings now. Their management is really bad. Anyone investing in Netflix these days is insane.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

I barely have the energy to unscrew the cap off a Jack Daniels bottle. Do you really expect me to read other people's posts? Why don't you just ask me to donate a kidney to an orphan or something? ;)

At any rate, this show is being bankrolled by Netflix but it's going to have its first run on CBS on Demand (or whatever it's called)? That is beyond idiotic. The people running Netflix are complete morons and should be replaced. That company is hemorrhaging money and making the worst sorts of investment decisions possible. And the worst part is when they get fired they're going to get a severance package in the tens of millions (or more). Christ, we really are living in the time of bread and circuses. There's no one held accountable for anything going wrong these days. How pathetic.

BTW, Netflix claims it just added 66 new shows and movies, but when I looked it appears to be nothing but Bollywood nonsense. And worse, they keep listing old shows that they have offered for awhile now as "New Arrivals". They aren't even trying to cover their bait and switch tactics anymore. It's just sad. We should probably start a poll asking people how long before Netflix tanks. That's how egregious their tactics are. Netflix is cancer.
Don't discount netflix completely. They thought they were getting the real star trek but somehow may file a lawsuit against CBS for giving them a shitty version of star trek if things go really pear shape which this new trek is heading. I agree that their catalogue seems mediocre but infact some television these days has crappy content and this is what people watch these days. The fact that the Big bang theory which pretends to be a 'comedy' tv series(which its not) and the fact that it is still going on 10 seasons, tells you how moronic our race has become.

This is comedy

I honestly believe that had they spent their billions securing the rights to first run, popular content they would be ahead of the game at this point. Instead they decided to cheap-out on paying royalties to major studios, then wasted hundreds of millions (billions) producing their own mediocre content. And then they decided to flesh out their library with shitty foreign productions as if we won't notice the complete lack of quality to their offerings now. Their management is really bad. Anyone investing in Netflix these days is insane.
Like any red giant, it will eventually get so big that it will collapse in its own gravitational energy and then turn into a singularity. I agree that management's decision is terrible but it's not their money that they are burning and right now netflix's share price price is grossly inflated due to the PE Ratio being ridiculously high but many are banking to be a profitable company in 10-20 years but I don't see that. Netflix is doing the same thing that Amazon is doing. Whatever money it is given, it is reinvesting it, and losing money. All it will take for Netflix to collapse if it gambles a lot of money on a small project that completely bombs hard or they lose their members.

*Some* Netflix membership who have more brains than money will realize that the membership is not worth it and their subscription service sucks donkey balls, but those that want a cheap flick to watch will keep the service. The only reason Netflix got popular was because it got popular from buying licences from Big studios and shows that were successful, but since many of them are pulling the plug and starting their own because they have the capability, I think Netflix doesn't have a sustainable future.

It's one of those companies like AOL that rose quickly to the top and then crashed hard and it's exactly what China is doing. They are trying to hyper inflate their GDP without thinking about the future but caring only about now. Remember, China pours money into their money supply and their economy to hyper inflate their GDP however, over the past years, the country is having an enormous amount of debt, and well is having difficulty sustaining high GDP. Does that sound familiar to you? ;). Once China's debt reaches too much, watch what happens...

http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/china

It's at 4 trillion USD as of writing this.

Just to show you how mental management is, they are okay to spend 20 billion dollars on content and 20 with a B.

https://qz.com/1044036/netflix-nflx...ion-on-future-content-but-its-not-a-big-deal/

Last edited:

Don't discount netflix completely. They thought they were getting the real star trek but somehow may file a lawsuit against CBS for giving them a shitty version of star trek if things go really pear shape which this new trek is heading. I agree that their catalogue seems mediocre but infact some television these days has crappy content and this is what people watch these days. The fact that the Big bang theory which pretends to be a 'comedy' tv series(which its not) and the fact that it is still going on 10 seasons, tells you how moronic our race has become.

This is comedy

Like any red giant, it will eventually get so big that it will collapse in its own gravitational energy and then turn into a singularity. I agree that management's decision is terrible but it's not their money that they are burning and right now netflix's share price price is grossly inflated due to the PE Ratio being ridiculously high but many are banking to be a profitable company in 10-20 years but I don't see that. Netflix is doing the same thing that Amazon is doing. Whatever money it is given, it is reinvesting it, and losing money. All it will take for Netflix to collapse if it gambles a lot of money on a small project that completely bombs hard or they lose their members.

*Some* Netflix membership who have more brains than money will realize that the membership is not worth it and their subscription service sucks donkey balls, but those that want a cheap flick to watch will keep the service. The only reason Netflix got popular was because it got popular from buying licences from Big studios and shows that were successful, but since many of them are pulling the plug and starting their own because they have the capability, I think Netflix doesn't have a sustainable future.

It's one of those companies like AOL that rose quickly to the top and then crashed hard and it's exactly what China is doing. They are trying to hyper inflate their GDP without thinking about the future but caring only about now. Remember, China pours money into their money supply and their economy to hyper inflate their GDP however, over the past years, the country is having an enormous amount of debt, and well is having difficulty sustaining high GDP. Does that sound familiar to you? ;). Once China's debt reaches too much, watch what happens...

http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/china

It's at 4 trillion USD as of writing this.

Just to show you how mental management is, they are okay to spend 20 billion dollars on content and 20 with a B.

https://qz.com/1044036/netflix-nflx...ion-on-future-content-but-its-not-a-big-deal/

The only thing I'd point out is that Amazon seems to be diversifying into other industries in an attempt to insure their continued success. But Netflix seems to be focusing only on their one industry, that's it. And they are steadily losing the lead in this industry. It's beyond obvious at this point. They really should have spent those billions on keeping licensing with high quality, mainstream offerings. There is absolutely no way that Netflix original programming is going to earn back the shit load that they've already spent to produce that crap. Certainly not in a timely enough fashion to please investors. They can hype their stock value all they want but at the end of the day the financial chickens will come home to roost.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The only thing I'd point out is that Amazon seems to be diversifying into other industries in an attempt to insure their continued success. But Netflix seems to be focusing only on their one industry, that's it. And they are steadily losing the lead in this industry. It's beyond obvious at this point. They really should have spent those billions on keeping licensing with high quality, mainstream offerings. There is absolutely no way that Netflix original programming is going to earn back the shit load that they've already spent to produce that crap. Certainly not in a timely enough fashion to please investors. They can hype their stock value all they want but at the end of the day the financial chickens will come home to roost.

Netflix is the MySpace of streaming services. It was the first best, and it had a nice long run, but to be honest, it no longer meets expectations and it's competitors have raised the bar significantly. They have nothing to offset the licensing costs for media except subscriber fees and modest growth of said subscribers. However, the market is now almost saturated, and there are quite simply, better choices out there now.