Spaghetti and meatballs... which are the best recipes?

• Thread starter Stonelesscutter
  • Start date

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
There's bound to be a group of people into it out there on the internet, I can think of at least one *cough*shavedape*cough*

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Linguine and clams in red sauce is usually quite good. Plus my mom makes a good shrimp creole in a tomato sauce. You wouldn't think that seafood would go well with tomato sauce but it does.

Italian cuisine has many recipes for shellfish and tomato sauce for spaghetti.

Next week, I have an phone interview for a job in Slidell, Louisiana near New Orleans. I am certain that many of the restaurants down there have shrimp creole on the menu.

G

Graybrew1

You people are killing me with all this talk of food.
I am frakin starving.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You people are killing me with all this talk of food.
I am frakin starving.

How can you be? :) You have many delicious ways to stuff yourself and not get fat. Chicken wings, tuna salad, nuts and great fruits like strawberries and plums and apples! You can eat all the meat you want, tons of cheese. :) Are you dieting still? I still am, and I still am trim and in shape.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
How can you be? :) You have many delicious ways to stuff yourself and not get fat. Chicken wings, tuna salad, nuts and great fruits like strawberries and plums and apples! You can eat all the meat you want, tons of cheese. :) Are you dieting still? I still am, and I still am trim and in shape.

I was thinking of posting a thread of before & after pics for those of us who have successfully followed a regimen for some motivation. Grey has been dieting and working out like crazy. Her pics should look spectacular. I bet you probably have some before pics, too, that would show how far you got.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was thinking of posting a thread of before & after pics for those of us who have successfully followed a regimen.

Good idea! But I have to find a before photo!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I found one of mine from 2009 when I first started this. :icon_lol: Day & night, bro. I'm almost too embarrassed to post it up.

I could actually do one for upper body. Bro, I am still having big trouble with it. My legs and lower body are perfect. I have posted pictures before. But above the waist, I just cant get it together. I have a straight up and down physique, with little broadening of the shoulders. I manage to get definition very easily when I do curls and lateral lifts with my dumbbells (I dont have a bar), but then it fades. My chest has some definition, but my midsection is not defined I managed to get a 4-pack last summer, but not the 6-pack I wanted. :( Now, I know this is related to core exercises. I still have the workout you sent me, and the paleo cookbook. I think I have nutrition down, and I have read extensively on all the foods I like to eat. I think I am well versed on metabolism now as well. I now see why you carb load sometimes, especially because you are a bodybuilder. I find that my cardio workouts can go much longer when I eat carbs before working out, then protein later. :)

Bluce Ree

I could actually do one for upper body. Bro, I am still having big trouble with it. My legs and lower body are perfect. I have posted pictures before. But above the waist, I just cant get it together. I have a straight up and down physique, with little broadening of the shoulders. I manage to get definition very easily when I do curls and lateral lifts with my dumbbells (I dont have a bar), but then it fades. My chest has some definition, but my midsection is not defined I managed to get a 4-pack last summer, but not the 6-pack I wanted. :( Now, I know this is related to core exercises. I still have the workout you sent me, and the paleo cookbook. I think I have nutrition down, and I have read extensively on all the foods I like to eat. I think I am well versed on metabolism not as well. I now see why you carb load sometimes, especially because you are a bodybuilder. I find that my cardio workouts can go much longer when I eat carbs before working out, then protein later. :)

Upper body is fine. The before photo is shirtless and I took one last week shirtless also. With 3+ years in between, it looks like two completely different people.

If you're building muscle, carbs are your friend. Carb load before a workout and carb up after. My post workout meals always consist of protein and carbs. For example, I'll have 2 chicken breasts or 8 oz of red meat with a cup of whole grain pasta or brown rice. When I'm cutting, I cut out nearly all carbs and drop calories but the object of that is to burn off excess fat and some muscle will inevitably go, too.

To add muscle, bro, you need to eat and eat and then eat some more. My bulking diet will climb above 4000 calories or more. Cutting diet is under 2500. Maintenance is around 3000. Even if you only want to add a few pounds of muscle, you need to eat in excess of your maintenance otherwise you tone but don't grow.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Upper body is fine. The before photo is shirtless and I took one last week shirtless also. With 3+ years in between, it looks like two completely different people.

If you're building muscle, carbs are your friend. Carb load before a workout and carb up after. My post workout meals always consist of protein and carbs. For example, I'll have 2 chicken breasts or 8 oz of red meat with a cup of whole grain pasta or brown rice. When I'm cutting, I cut out nearly all carbs and drop calories but the object of that is to burn off excess fat and some muscle will inevitably go, too.

To add muscle, bro, you need to eat and eat and then eat some more. My bulking diet will climb above 4000 calories or more. Cutting diet is under 2500. Maintenance is around 3000. Even if you only want to add a few pounds of muscle, you need to eat in excess of your maintenance otherwise you tone but don't grow.

I do eat, but I eat protein mostly. How do I know how many carbs to go over to see muscle gain and not fat gain? I already went through this sort of thing in Atkins when discovering my CCL (critical carb limit for losing). For me that is about 80 carbs a day with my current level of physical activity and exercise. Spaghetti and meatballs is the perfect meal for this, right? :)

Bluce Ree

I do eat, but I eat protein mostly. How do I know how many carbs to go over to see muscle gain and not fat gain? I already went through this sort of thing in Atkins when discovering my CCL (critical carb limit for losing). For me that is about 80 carbs a day with my current level pf physical activity and exercise. Spaghetti and meatballs is the perfect meal for this, right? :)

Spaghetti and meatballs are fine. :icon_lol:

The amount of carbs you'll consume to grow muscle will depend on how hard you work them. There's a point where dumbells and pullups at home aren't enough. To get the best possible resistance training exercises for building serious muscle, join a gym. You'll be able to work every muscle from every angle with a good variety of machines and free weights and have enough equipment to vary your workouts every 4-6 weeks to keep your muscles from adapting and ceasing progress.

I find that avoiding simple carbs prevents my body from accumulating significant amounts of fat. I'll typically go to about 200g / day of carbs or more during a bulk but my workout sessions are very heavy, about 2 hours of very heavy lifting and 20 min of cardio. On maintenance, i'll usually be around 80g / day.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Spaghetti and meatballs are fine. :icon_lol:

The amount of carbs you'll consume to grow muscle will depend on how hard you work them. There's a point where dumbells and pullups at home aren't enough. To get the best possible resistance training exercises for building serious muscle, join a gym. You'll be able to work every muscle from every angle with a good variety of machines and free weights and have enough equipment to vary your workouts every 4-6 weeks to keep your muscles from adapting and ceasing progress.

I find that avoiding simple carbs prevents my body from accumulating significant amounts of fat. I'll typically go to about 200g / day of carbs or more during a bulk but my workout sessions are very heavy, about 2 hours of very heavy lifting and 20 min of cardio. On maintenance, i'll usually be around 80g / day.

So, you favor complex carbs like those found in fruits? If so, then should they be high GI fruits or low or medium? Egad, when you know a lot about nutrition you can never go back to just "eating". :icon_lol:

Bluce Ree

So, you favor complex carbs like those found in fruits? If so, then should they be high GI fruits or low or medium? Egad, when you know a lot about nutrition you can never go back to just "eating". :icon_lol:

So true! Almost reminds me of Data tasting a shake and describing how his "taste buds" break down and analyze the components of the shake rather than let him enjoy the taste in blissful ignorance.

I prefer carbs from grains, beans, oats, etc. I'll have fruit maybe once a day. GI plays an importance role when dealing with pre/post workout carbs. Preworkout, for example, I may have 2 cans of tuna and 16 oz of OJ. If I'm lazy post workout and don't feel like cooking, I might have a whey protein shake in 12oz of OJ.

We should probably move this thread of posts to a more relevant thread dealing with workouts and diet. We're hardly in spaghetti world anymore. :icon_lol:

G

Graybrew1

Yes. I work out and watch what I eat. I have gotten a lot of good advice I try to up my protein and watch my carbs.i am down to a size 5 now. I have been working on toning with lots of plank , squats, lunges and lifts.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes. I work out and watch what I eat. I have gotten a lot of good advice I try to up my protein and watch my carbs.i am down to a size 5 now. I have been working on toning with lots of plank , squats, lunges and lifts.

:joy:

I am so glad you are taking care of yourself. :) Remember, you can always gorge on healthy low carb snacks. I have a killer mock fried chicken recipe (its baked). Still ZERO CARBS. :) Crunchy and delicious.