Real music

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here is a pop singer success story, Rebecca Black of the infamous "Friday" meme. Her first song was considered the worst song ever made, and here it is (now at almost 120,000 000 views):

Six years later, she came out with this:

Now, that is one determined, talented girl. :) She stuck with it, got some training and exposure, and she appears to be headed for bona fide stardom in the pop world.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Didn't I see you speak negatively about that exact Friday song right on this very forum years ago?

Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber can sell records because of a skilled sound engineer and autotune and dozens of voice processing effects. No ACTUAL singing talent. I don't like the type of music Beyonce makes, but there is no doubt she can sing her little heart out. And there are the tragedies like Alicia Keys, who is a Julliard trained classical pianist who has been forced to make pop music just to live her craft (Andre Watts almost fell into this trap). I don't consider somebody who programs loops a musician.

I agree for the most part except for Beyonce who is extremely overrated. She does have a voice, but it's nothing special and her range is limited. She doesn't have "pipes" as they say. To get around this she does what all pop artists do these days which is to surround herself with a raucous menagerie of dancers and acrobats on stage (with the intent to distract us) and then she "sings" to a prerecorded track. (It was revealed that she lip synced for the Obama inauguration instead of actually singing live back in 2013. I'm sorry but a professional singer of her stature should have no problem singing the national anthem live. The claim that she wanted it to be the best performance possible is a cop out. She knows it's easy to make a marginal voice sound amazing when it's prerecorded and re-engineered in a studio.)

Mendacious. The bitch is mendacious. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Didn't I see you speak negatively about that exact Friday song right on this very forum years ago?

Oh most definitely yes! I dragged the poor girl something awful. I do not regret it. :) Here I am now praising her progress. Changing of minds, perceptions and values is the way of the world! :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Oh most definitely yes! I dragged the poor girl something awful. I do not regret it. :) Here I am now praising her progress. Changing of minds, perceptions and values is the way of the world! :)
Maybe there is hope for SGU yet. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree for the most part except for Beyonce who is extremely overrated. She does have a voice, but it's nothing special and her range is limited. She doesn't have "pipes" as they say. To get around this she does what all pop artists do these days which is to surround herself with a raucous menagerie of dancers and acrobats on stage (with the intent to distract us) and then she "sings" to a prerecorded track. (It was revealed that she lip synced for the Obama inauguration instead of actually singing live back in 2013. I'm sorry but a professional singer of her stature should have no problem singing the national anthem live. The claim that she wanted it to be the best performance possible is a cop out. She knows it's easy to make a marginal voice sound amazing when it's prerecorded and re-engineered in a studio.)

Mendacious. The bitch is mendacious. ;)

This is all true, but she is still more adept a singer than all of the others out there (Rihanna, Miley, Lady Gaga, Justin, Adele, etc etc etc ad nauseum). Mariah Carey has pipes for sure. :)

This is all true, but she is still more adept a singer than all of the others out there (Rihanna, Miley, Lady Gaga, Justin, Adele, etc etc etc ad nauseum). Mariah Carey has pipes for sure. :)

I don't completely disagree, as I said, Beyonce has a voice, I just don't think it's very strong or that impressive. Miley Cyrus on the other hand has no voice. None. Everything we hear from her is modified and autotuned, even the so-called "live" stuff. If you listen to her speaking voice and compare it to her singing voice it's shocking. She has the speaking voice of a cigarette smoking old woman. But her singing voice is high and light and sweet. It doesn't resemble her real voice at all. (I once saw Miley sing a duet with Sheryl Crow and I suspect it was impromptu because Miley's voice wasn't modified thru the PA system and she sounded horrible. Her voice was rough and raspy. I wish I could find a video of it because it really proved she's fake.)

BTW, I was surprised to discover that Lady Gaga does have some pipes. She can actually belt it out acapella if she has to, go figure.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
. Rebbeca Black is freekin awesome now . Wow . That song is smokin !!!
Good for her . Never thought for a sec she would stay in the biz after getting fried for friday ...
;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Here is the only KPop artist I listen too once in a while ... Its a montage of her career video and Shattered is a really good song . I recently learned that the Korean pop stars are treated as slaves ... Just horrible lives yet I guess they like the fame . BOA has been in the biz a long time and speaks English, Japanese and of course Korean . From what I understand , she wrote this song . The whole album is actually not too bad .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
. Rebbeca Black is freekin awesome now . Wow . That song is smokin !!!
Good for her . Never thought for a sec she would stay in the biz after getting fried for friday ...
;)

I know, right? And truth be told, "Friday" has become a mega hit in it's own right. The song video has almost 120,000,000 views! (that is 120 MILLION). If she got just $0.50 for each person who watched the vid, that would be 60 MILLION dollars. I would never have thought it...

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
No offense, but the voice in that new Rebecca Black clip is heavily altered, so I don't know what that clip is supposed to prove.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No offense, but the voice in that new Rebecca Black clip is heavily altered, so I don't know what that clip is supposed to prove.
Watch Friday again to answer that. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Deffinately some electronic help with Rebbeca but that's par for the course in today's music scene . I'll take the new song over tgif anyday ...
;)