Random Banter

Shadow Mann

Staff member
For the record, nothing wrong with big boobs though.
100% agree!...BTW, have you noticed? Greta Thunberg has become a woman....
1712568678480.png

Shadow Mann

Staff member
QUESTION for whomever...

So, this place seems to have been pared down to just our handful of people and I will still keep it online. However, I notice that the discussions seem to only be disconnected because they are in separate forums and you have to make a bunch of clicks just to see what forums things are "supposed" to go into. If any of you are currently using social media, then you probably understand how you can just post whatever you want and threads are automatically created under them by commenters. You can follow commenters, and repost comments to begin your own comment which can then have more threads.

What am I getting at?

Do you think GateFans would benefit from a software change to a more social media type software? Perhaps run it alongside the forums?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Possibly. But we don't want to lose the mass of material already here especially as there is a lot of long form posting and analysis in it.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Possibly. But we don't want to lose the mass of material already here especially as there is a lot of long form posting and analysis in it.
Yes, and therein lies the problem! There is no possible way to transfer the 200K+ messages on here to the other software. However, there IS a way for me to run both of the platforms on this domain, with minimal integration.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yes, and therein lies the problem! There is no possible way to transfer the 200K+ messages on here to the other software. However, there IS a way for me to run both of the platforms on this domain, with minimal integration.
So what would that look like?

Shadow Mann

Staff member
For here? If we run both systems together, then nothing would change except there would be a new menu button on top to take you to it, and one in the other side to bring you back. No integration at all. Totally separate, but here in the same space. That's sort of clunky, but there is no way to transfer everything. You would need a separate registration for that side of the site to use it. I already have the software running on another domain.

It looks almost exactly like Twitter, but it is not part of any network and is not somebody else's platform with just a space on it. It's a private social media system. To get an idea of what it's like, please register at https://muveum.com/guest and check it out. I own that domain and that space so it's safe. @Joelist and I have been discussing this for a little while now.

This is why I considered it:

1. This thread, Random Banter, is by far the most used thread in the entire site at the moment.

This matters, because it's perfect for the new software. You just post whatever you want to talk about, and if others want to comment then they do. The comments automatically flow into discussions, and it's really a lot like what you are doing here in this thread.

2. It's easier to manage, AND, it allows individual users to monetize their content on the site. It allows easy upload of video, pictures, documents, whatever. It has private messaging, and custom profiles. You will even get a Blue Checkmark! You get a few color schemes.

3. It works really well on a phone.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Wow! A blue checkmark? Count me in! lol

It does sound interesting though. I see a lot of "news" articles in my google feed that are scifi related and such but I tend to not make the effort to come over here to mention them or talk about them. Maybe that new social media like thing could make that easier.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Done that way it would work - just don't want to lose the past stuff.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
QUESTION for whomever...

So, this place seems to have been pared down to just our handful of people and I will still keep it online. However, I notice that the discussions seem to only be disconnected because they are in separate forums and you have to make a bunch of clicks just to see what forums things are "supposed" to go into. If any of you are currently using social media, then you probably understand how you can just post whatever you want and threads are automatically created under them by commenters. You can follow commenters, and repost comments to begin your own comment which can then have more threads.

What am I getting at?

Do you think GateFans would benefit from a software change to a more social media type software? Perhaps run it alongside the forums?
What happened to some of the previous members I wonder? Some of them don't bother posting anymore. I blame hollywood.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, this is rubbish. I watched this clipped and it made me react by scratching my head thinking what the fuck did I just watch? Turns out the ugly person in the elevator is a politician.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFno2X-uAcY
This is something Trek never did before STD. Trek had political undertones all along but it never engaged in presentism and it did actually present more than one side to things. NuTrek engages constantly in presentism (which this cameo shows), presents only one side of issues and comes off like propaganda.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What happened to some of the previous members I wonder? Some of them don't bother posting anymore. I blame hollywood.
There was some attrition over the years including a blow up that led to two leaving. I like what Shadow Mann is proposing as it is a way to make this place easier to attract new members to.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
This is something Trek never did before STD. Trek had political undertones all along but it never engaged in presentism and it did actually present more than one side to things. NuTrek engages constantly in presentism (which this cameo shows), presents only one side of issues and comes off like propaganda.
I suppose you got that from William Shatner. It wouldn't surprise me if we turned Humans to Huwoman/Huwomen or Huwomanity or Womankind or womenkind or trans/gaykind :jack_new27::smiley-white-flag::bored:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2CO73Nkz3Y

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I got it from observation. Trek when it was Trek did not engage in presentism (blatantly casting things in light of today's issues). It actually understood subtext and made sure the stories (except for the two literally set in their present day) never felt like they were set in 1960s-80s Hollywood. NuTrek constantly does this.

Likewise presenting only one side of an issue. Remember the TOS Vietnam type episode? A Private Little War? It used allegory to show both sides. In contrast NuTrek is so obviously (no subtext) and so one sided it comes off like political propaganda.