Random Banter

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's alright bro. You just sounded like it would be a simple thing done in a jiffy. I didn't expect it would be, if even at all possible.

Anything is possible. But when there isn't a ready-made add-on at Xenforo, that means I have to code it myself, and in the past that has sometimes broken other features. I put in a request at the Xenforo Community. Hopefully somebody will come up with it. BUT, it is fairly easy to create a widget which goes to a specific thread or place.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Chrome and Safari both acting weird like described.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Chrome and Safari both acting weird like described.

Do you have any other examples? Links preferably. I have database backups, but there is ALWAYS loss when they are used. How many posts are we talking? I would rather find out what happened to them, so these links with post numbers are valuable info. Thanks!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I will try to hunt for them, but the only reason I had the one link was it was in another post that I could see.

If it helps, it looks like (for example) most of the threads referring to episodes of Doctor Who Season 9 are missing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I will try to hunt for them, but the only reason I had the one link was it was in another post that I could see.

If it helps, it looks like (for example) most of the threads referring to episodes of Doctor Who Season 9 are missing.

I noticed that. And I also noticed that even though I checked every forum log back for two years, I cannot find the entry of a deletion or rename or move for anything in that forum. :( The database does not selectively delete anything, there are no expiration dates and no cron job which removes posts.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Could it be a permissions thing? Elsewise we may have a gremlin in the system :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Vague article. :) It does not define what "dieting" is. Does she mean low fat diet? Low carb diet? High protein/high fat diet? Vegan or vegetarian diet? Those are vastly different eating regimens, and the article seems to be focusing on gut microbes, but that part of it is very interesting.
Didn't the article explain that with the testing with mice?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Maybe this could be used to fatten up turkeys even more. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I read that article here: https://www.sciencealert.com/pasta-isn-t-fattening-and-can-actually-help-you-lose-wait-study-finds

The study is an Italian one, and the biggest reason for the study to exist is to try and paint pasta in a healthy light. The findings by this Neuromed study have not been corroborated elsewhere, and the actual study seems to be unavailable on the Neuromed website, but I found the submission here: https://www.nature.com/articles/nutd201620. It isn't rocket science to see that the study is flawed:

The Italian Nutrition & Health Survey (INHES) project is a telephone-based survey on nutrition and health specifically designed to collect information on the dietary habits (quality, quantity and patterns), food choice determinants, and food health awareness of the Italian population according to geographical distribution, age, gender and socioeconomic profile. Between November 2010 and November 2013, 9319 women and men aged 5 years from all over Italy were enrolled.

Carbohydrates and calories are empirical measures of nutrients. Pasta IS fattening, and eating it regularly WILL cause you to gain weight, no matter what this study says.

The USDA Food Pyramid, if followed, will turn you into a hippo. The reason for that is because the dairy and agri conglomorates NEED for people to eat grain-based and soy-based (and corn-based) products in order to make money. They have paid firms to support consuming these foods and have put them on the food pyramid to stop the loss of sales. Eggs were demonized in this way, and the industry paid for similar studies painting eggs in a more healthy light. In this case, pasta is a major export of Italy, and it has even seen reduced consumption by Italians in Italy and globally because of it's role in weight gain. The French are dealing with reduced consumption of baked goods like pastries for the same reason, but they do not export baked goods as a major product.

I read that article here: https://www.sciencealert.com/pasta-isn-t-fattening-and-can-actually-help-you-lose-wait-study-finds

The study is an Italian one, and the biggest reason for the study to exist is to try and paint pasta in a healthy light. The findings by this Neuromed study have not been corroborated elsewhere, and the actual study seems to be unavailable on the Neuromed website, but I found the submission here: https://www.nature.com/articles/nutd201620. It isn't rocket science to see that the study is flawed:

Carbohydrates and calories are empirical measures of nutrients. Pasta IS fattening, and eating it regularly WILL cause you to gain weight, no matter what this study says.

The USDA Food Pyramid, if followed, will turn you into a hippo. The reason for that is because the dairy and agri conglomorates NEED for people to eat grain-based and soy-based (and corn-based) products in order to make money. They have paid firms to support consuming these foods and have put them on the food pyramid to stop the loss of sales. Eggs were demonized in this way, and the industry paid for similar studies painting eggs in a more healthy light. In this case, pasta is a major export of Italy, and it has even seen reduced consumption by Italians in Italy and globally because of it's role in weight gain. The French are dealing with reduced consumption of baked goods like pastries for the same reason, but they do not export baked goods as a major product.

Excellent points! :beckett_new049:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Excellent points! :beckett_new049:

I am such a stickler for these things. :) Here is what the French were worried about in 2013:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/...-staple-is-losing-its-place-at-the-table.html

There, the Observatoire de Pain (French Baker's and Millers Lobby) started a campaign going as far as to say that daily consumption of bread "supports French civilization". :) Remember the "Got Milk?" campaign? The Egg campaign? :) MILLIONS were spent to hawk "Low Fat" on goods which are loaded with sugar to give the impression of healthiness.

I am such a stickler for these things. :) Here is what the French were worried about in 2013:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/...-staple-is-losing-its-place-at-the-table.html

There, the Observatoire de Pain (French Baker's and Millers Lobby) started a campaign going as far as to say that daily consumption of bread "supports French civilization". :) Remember the "Got Milk?" campaign? The Egg campaign? :) MILLIONS were spent to hawk "Low Fat" on goods which are loaded with sugar to give the impression of healthiness.

As I understand it much of the "baguette" industry in France has been taken over by corporations that mass produce the stuff. The French make much ado about the fact that they have strict regulations on how bread must be baked (specific type of flour, etc.) but the bottom line is that most of that stuff is now pumped out of a factory. I can't help but imagine that mass produced bread is less healthy than small batch baking. (If you're going to eat bread that is.)

At any rate, it's not surprising that bread in France is subsidized and promoted by the government. Like you said we do the same thing here. (The dairy lobby is particularly pernicious in this area of food production.)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Heard anything from Xenforo?

By the way, there's something else I noticed. If I go to a thread which has unread posts for me, it automatically goes to the first unread post. But if I go to a thread which has no unread posts (in order to post something), it brings me to the very first post in the thread. Is there any way to make it automatically go to the last post in the thread instead? That way I would just have to scroll down a little bit in order to post instead of scrolling down the whole first page or even first going to the last page and then scrolling all the way down.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Heard anything from Xenforo?

By the way, there's something else I noticed. If I go to a thread which has unread posts for me, it automatically goes to the first unread post. But if I go to a thread which has no unread posts (in order to post something), it brings me to the very first post in the thread. Is there any way to make it automatically go to the last post in the thread instead? That way I would just have to scroll down a little bit in order to post instead of scrolling down the whole first page or even first going to the last page and then scrolling all the way down.

Not yet, but I may be able to easily add what you need if you only need a link to a specific thread or forum.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Not yet, but I may be able to easily add what you need if you only need a link to a specific thread or forum.
Just a link which gets me to this thread placed directly above the "recent threads" widget would do wonders. Would work for both desktop and mobile.